Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,609 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:08 PM

Engineers In The House Please See If You Can Settle This Argument For Us - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Engineers In The House Please See If You Can Settle This Argument For Us (4215 Views)

Who Can Give A Valid Solution To This Argument? / SOSPOLY Student Stabs Her Bestie To Death During An Argument / Help Us Settle This Argument Please (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Engineers In The House Please See If You Can Settle This Argument For Us by Nobody: 5:37pm On May 22, 2020
iyke484real:
If a naked wire with current falls into a flowing river or lets say Lagos lagoon, will all parts of the lagoon electrocute when touch?

If it will not, please elaborate...I am interested in knowing why.

The moment the feeder touches the water, a line-to-ground fault occurs and heavy fault curre t flows to the ground...momentarily. The fault current triggers the operation of the protection scheme in that zone to open the circuit breakers proctecting that line. However, the peoriod before the de-energizing of the line, the water is lethal, with the potential for harm decreasing progressively as you travel farther away from the point of contact between the cable and the water.
Re: Engineers In The House Please See If You Can Settle This Argument For Us by Hisduchess(f): 6:02pm On May 22, 2020
iyke484real:
If a naked wire with current falls into a flowing river or lets say Lagos lagoon, will all parts of the lagoon electrocute when touch?

If it will not, please elaborate...I am interested in knowing why.

Firstly pure water in all its sense is a poor conductor until when added impurities so it is impossible for a lagoon not to have impurities, therefore when a naked wire falls into a lagoon,there is a fast movement of electrons in the water,but the voltage distribution will differ from point to point and whether the whole parts can electrocute will depend on the voltage the wire is carrying,the size of the water,the length of the wire that was submerged in the wire and the point we're the person is coming in contact with the water cos voltage will be very very high around the wire more than the other points. I'm ain't an engineer though I do pass my physics courses during my university days grin
Re: Engineers In The House Please See If You Can Settle This Argument For Us by photon3106: 6:30pm On May 22, 2020
welturebotanical:

when that interior wiring is connected to the government power supply you may still be able to get a good current if there's no fuse to break it down, but without fuse this current will be too high for all the home appliances and therefore will damage them, that is why all power coming from the pole are connected to a fuse that breaks it down to something ur home can take.
When u connect this thick wire to that fuse, there will be fluctuation in the electricity of that house, because d current will want to wrap around that thick circumference n long length of the wire, before reaching each destination of every appliances and stuffs which will lead to low supply to ur appliances n bulbs etc, that is because the power from d pole has been broken down by the fuse. But I still need engineers to make corrections on what I said.. I may be wrong.

Of course you're wrong sir.

You're mixing up the function of a transformer and a fuse. They are distinct things. A FUSE breaks a circuit as a means of protection while a TRANSFORMER does what you just described and it has nothing to do with the cable in question.

One major reason why the distribution cable isn't used for the interior wiring is handling. Those distribution cables that run from the pole are not legible enough and too thick to fit into most household junction boxes, wall socket and fuse boxes.

Over to OP's question. Yes, the water in the river becomes a charge carrying electrolyte but the current intensity reduces as one moves further away from the current carrying conductor (fallen live cable)

Water in general conducts electricity whether pure or impure. Impurity increases conductivity.
Re: Engineers In The House Please See If You Can Settle This Argument For Us by Roon9(m): 6:35pm On May 22, 2020
welturebotanical:

I am against this, water is a bad conductor but the impurities in water is facilitator of its conductivity. Speaking of conductivity and resistivity in a body as large as a lagoon, it is never possible for the same current at point A, to be at point G or point Z. Remember that resistance also takes a measurement from length of the material, which will reflect on the resistivity of the material and then conductivity
Of the material. I am not a physicist but I didn't forget my little ideas in the university physics.

End of thread
Re: Engineers In The House Please See If You Can Settle This Argument For Us by photon3106: 6:52pm On May 22, 2020
Talib93:

Your question has incomplete data, so we cannot simulate the event for you grin

One might be able to simulate this I might be wrong with the choice of current though but that's the safest simulation and packs more convincing result.

Apparatus:
12V xAh battery
Hand gloves
Metallic probes
Connecting wires
Sensitive multimeter
A bathtub filled with hard water (tap water or well water will do)

Procedure:
Measure the open voltage and current of your battery

Connect the negative terminal of the battery to your multimeter's negative terminal. Connect a metallic probe to the battery's positive terminal and drop this probe to the far end of the tub. Pick the cable prong of your multimeter (i.e the one running from the Meyer's positive terminal) and start dipping at varied distance away from the prong already suspended in water. Do this for random points and varied distance on the water surface and take note of your reading.

E.G.

Try point A 10cm from the immersed negative terminal prong. what's the current reading?

Try point B 20cm... and so on

OP should come and report his findings. I think the result of this gives him a clue.

SIMULATION Q.E.D

Na joke o but really! That should prove a point grin

1 Like

Re: Engineers In The House Please See If You Can Settle This Argument For Us by Kylekent59: 7:30pm On May 22, 2020
From what i know in physics, water is a good conductor of electricity. Since water contains impurities and some salt, this make it possible and enhances its conductivity

When salts are dissolved in water, they separate into different electrically charged atom called ions. These ions help in conduction of electricity.

. Conductivity is the reciprocal of resistivity. C = 1/R

First and foremost, there is nothing like pure water in the real aspect, all water contains impurities be it distilled, river, lake, lagoon, sea, boiled water...etc

Water is a compound of hydrogen and oxygen, and oxygen contains a positive ion(O+).

Now you have understood the concept, we now go into electricity.
Electricity is the flow of electric charges; charge is a property of matter.

V=IR, from Ohm's law, and also C=1/R
R= V/I
CV= I, C= I/V

Now, to answer your question we have to know if you are talking about a high tension or low tension wire.

If it's a high tension wire, the impurities in the water would get charged and enhance condictivity, but not the whole lagoon, so as rivers and sea also.

When the vote is high, then, condictivity would spread. Any one or living being closer to the wire will definitely get electrocuted, those who are afar would get a tingling shock; just like a pinch.

When the voltage is high, it spreads. Imagine a bay with salty water, and a high tension wire falls inside, these salts will get charged and separate into different charged atoms, but the volt from the high tension will determine the range it would go.

Lets just do an example.

Supposing a wire drops in a river which is in 400V, let say it covers a range of 30 meters, also 22,000 volt, lets say 1650 meters.....

So the voltage determines the long range it will go.

Pertaining to the fuse stuff, the fuse wouldn't reduce the voltage coming from Nepa pole wire, the transformer does the work.

A fuse is an electrical safety device built around a conductive strip that is designed to melt and separate in the event of excessive current. Fuses are always connected in series with the component(s) to be protected from overcurrent, so that when the fuse blows (opens) it will open the entire circuit and stop current through the component(s)
Re: Engineers In The House Please See If You Can Settle This Argument For Us by Goldeno(m): 7:51pm On May 22, 2020
nanyanuel:

I think you are not quite getting the idea behind water being a poor conductor. Water being a poor conductor simply means it's conductivity is minimal compared to other good conductors. There is a huge difference between a poor conductor and an insulator.
But the reality is it is impossible to get 100% pure water, I doubt you can get up to 90% our water.
Re: Engineers In The House Please See If You Can Settle This Argument For Us by seanwilliam(m): 8:11pm On May 22, 2020
Let me cheap this in..

@op, the elasticity of demand which is relatively positive of the semiconductor electron which will be a conjunctiva of enigmatic energy that is prowling to endearing asymmetry of geological data which is high combustible physical radiation of hydro Masonry germaine....

So looking at it this way, we can austerityly conclude that the justification emanating from the deepest brougham is highly revered...
Thank you
Re: Engineers In The House Please See If You Can Settle This Argument For Us by Nobody: 9:20pm On May 22, 2020
welturebotanical:

Distilled water is pure water sir, and that is what we use in the lab, cosmetics and drug production.
it is only free from microorganisms. Is it also free from heavy metals? After distillation?
Re: Engineers In The House Please See If You Can Settle This Argument For Us by kozmokaz(m): 10:02pm On May 22, 2020
femi4:
You started poorly

Pure H2O is not a conductor bro
Re: Engineers In The House Please See If You Can Settle This Argument For Us by Jokerman(m): 8:13am On May 23, 2020
NDSMELODY:
bro i am talking in term of transmission line not ordinary a conductor meanwhile would u use ordinary condunctor to transmit HVAC? Impossible i am electrical engineer in making......when u said water is not a good condunctor of electricity why do people get electrocuted when wet...i am waiting for ur ans

Pure water doesn't conduct... It's the impurities in water that makes it conduct (solution)
Re: Engineers In The House Please See If You Can Settle This Argument For Us by muhammadahsan9(m): 12:58pm On May 23, 2020
It's in fact true that electrolyte is a good conductor. I have gotten some of the amazing ideas for electronics. Home appliances UAE has some of the amazing households that may ease the use.
Re: Engineers In The House Please See If You Can Settle This Argument For Us by danilmo: 1:45pm On May 23, 2020
u ll never see any feminist here o, let it b about sex and how to track man or relationship advice now u ll see them. reile and co miliniumlady..

grin
Re: Engineers In The House Please See If You Can Settle This Argument For Us by welturebotanical: 3:18pm On May 23, 2020
photon3106:

Of course you're wrong sir.

You're mixing up the function of a transformer and a fuse. They are distinct things. A FUSE breaks a circuit as a means of protection while a TRANSFORMER does what you just described and it has nothing to do with the cable in question.

One major reason why the distribution cable isn't used for the interior wiring is handling. Those distribution cables that run from the pole are not legible enough and too thick to fit into most household junction boxes, wall socket and fuse boxes.

Over to OP's question. Yes, the water in the river becomes a charge carrying electrolyte but the current intensity reduces as one moves further away from the current carrying conductor (fallen live cable)

Water in general conducts electricity whether pure or impure. Impurity increases conductivity.

Okay sir...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mtn Unlimited Data Cheat - Mtn Free Browsing 2022 (in Nigeria, Uganda, Ghana) / Is Kegite Club A Cult Or Fun Club. / Kogi State University (KSU) 2015/2016 Admission List Is Out. School Call 0814550

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.