Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,340 members, 7,819,202 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:40 PM

If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here (8325 Views)

How Many Triangles Are There? Only The Highly Genius Will Pass This Test! / Mathematics Challenge: 50% Will Fail This! / Easy But Many Will Fail This Simple Maths Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by richadexx: 12:54pm On May 24, 2020
2/5
Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by nairaman66(m): 12:55pm On May 24, 2020
APCLyingBastard:

Wrong solution and so your answer is flawed.

A quick one!

There are 5 Stables in a row numbered 1 to 5, in which a horse is hiding. Every night the horse jumps to an adjacent stable, and every morning you have one chance to open a stable to find the horse. How do you solve this game of hide and seek?
Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by emae009(m): 12:59pm On May 24, 2020
nairaman66:

A quick one!

There are 5 Stables in a row numbered 1 to 5, in which a horse is hiding. Every night the horse jumps to an adjacent stable, and every morning you have one chance to open a stable to find the horse. How do you solve this game of hide and seek?

1/5.
Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by APCLyingBastard: 1:11pm On May 24, 2020
emae009:
The OP is correct, the answer to the first test is 1/2 or 50%. Let me simplify it:
1) after eliminating box SS by picking a G ball.
2) you're left with 2 boxes: & GS.
here lies the logic:
3) if you picked the G ball from box , then the probability of picking another G ball is 1 since you're picking from the same box again.
4) if you picked the G ball from box GS, then the probability of picking another G ball is 0 since you're picking from the same box again.
so therefore we have two outcomes; it's either you pick a G ball or you don't pick a G ball so the answer becomes 1/2 or 50%

APCLyingBastard
Sammy07
Nurudeen06
cool
Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by APCLyingBastard: 1:13pm On May 24, 2020
nairaman66:

A quick one!

On the first night, I put the horse in stable 1.

Next morning, I check stable 2.
Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by nairaman66(m): 1:25pm On May 24, 2020
APCLyingBastard:

[s]On the first night, I put the horse in stable 1.[/s]

Next morning, I check stable 2.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by nairaman66(m): 1:25pm On May 24, 2020
emae009:

1/5.

Wrong!
Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by emae009(m): 1:39pm On May 24, 2020
nairaman66:

Wrong!

Guess it's not the probability of finding the horse in a stable that you're looking for.
Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by Nobody: 1:42pm On May 24, 2020
OP correct answer is correct whether by elimination or by application probability theorem.
To be honest I don't see how elimination relates to this problem as it must presuppose that person picking the ball has some knowledge of how balls have been put in the boxes and your question did not make clear. I may have to read the question again.
So I dont accept that my method is wrong nor that my correct answer is "flawed"

Sai Buhari! ! grin
Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by Nobody: 2:02pm On May 24, 2020
Test 2 ansa =1/3
Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by Nobody: 2:23pm On May 24, 2020
OP saying my answer is flawed prompted me to look at my solution.
They are two ways a second consecutive gold could be picked and the probabilities of both options differ, so I calculated probabilities for both option and took an average of the two probabilities to be the probability of picking the second gold ball .
This gave the answer; 5/12 (42%)
Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by APCLyingBastard: 2:28pm On May 24, 2020
GenBuhari:
They ate two ways a second consecutive gold could be picked and the probabilities of both options differ, so I calculated probabilities for both option and took an average of the two probabilities to be the probability of picking the second gold ball.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11594659_untitled_png72ba537fea64fbab95b2ae67b65a354d
Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by stanisbaratheon: 2:53pm On May 24, 2020
Without replacement of ball,

(1/3)+((1/2)x(1/3))=1/2
Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by Simeonjoe1: 3:03pm On May 24, 2020
Op it's 50-50 either yellow or silver... It's 50% Walahi e no need too much calculations na just to think

1 Like

Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by Nobody: 3:07pm On May 24, 2020
BOX 1 1/2 OR 1/2 =1
BOX 2 1/2 OR 50%
Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by Stephenmoka4(m): 3:32pm On May 24, 2020
50% chance
Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by oyatz(m): 3:36pm On May 24, 2020
From THE SAME BOX

BabaRamota1980:

There are 6 balls. You removed one gold ball, that leaves 5 balls. Out of the 5 there are 2 gold. The chance of picking a gold ball is 2/5.

Why u dey play?
Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by smashad(m): 4:20pm On May 24, 2020
There are three boxes and six balls, you picked a box at random and drew a gold ball. there means you had either picked the boxes containing two gold balls or the other containing a l silver ball and a gold ball therefore the probability of drawing another gold ball is 1/3
Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by deltateam: 5:20pm On May 24, 2020
APCLyingBastard:
IQ tests need to be mandatory to post here. So I am kicking it off with this very rudimentary test.

Provide reasons for your answer.

See pic below for test.

Is it with replacement or without replacement?

This question qualified me to post here.

Omase o!
Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by Nobody: 10:18pm On May 24, 2020
GenBuhari:
They are two ways a second consecutive gold could be picked and the probabilities of both options differ, so I calculated probabilities for both option and took an average of the two probabilities to be the probability of picking the second gold ball .

may have made error as i did this last calculation mentally.
if first gold ball came from box1 , then Pr of 2nd gold ball would be 1/2
if first gold ball came from box2, then Pr of drawing 2nd gold ball will 1/3

average of the 2 options is 5/12
I believe this must be best solution or answer.
Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by APCLyingBastard: 10:28pm On May 24, 2020
GenBuhari:

may have made error as i did this last calculation mentally.
if first gold ball came from box1 , then Pr of 2nd gold ball would be 1/2
if first gold ball came from box2, then Pr of drawing 2nd gold ball will 1/3

average of the 2 options is 5/12
I believe this must be best solution or answer.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11594659_untitled_png72ba537fea64fbab95b2ae67b65a354d
Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by Nobody: 3:51pm On May 26, 2020
OP you came up your solution yourself right? . Well it is flawed., You can not use process of elimination without first knowing some information about how the balls have been distributed in the boxes.
Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by Edopesin: 9:42pm On May 26, 2020
emae009:
The OP is correct, the answer to the first test is 1/2 or 50%. Let me simplify it:
1) after eliminating box SS by picking a G ball.
2) you're left with 2 boxes: & GS.
here lies the logic:
3) [s]if you picked the G ball from box , then the probability of picking another G ball is 1 since you're picking from the same box again[/s]
4) if you picked the G ball from box GS, then the probability of picking another G ball is 0 since you're picking from the same box again.
so therefore we have two outcomes; it's either you pick a G ball or you don't pick a G ball so the answer becomes 1/2 or 50%

APCLyingBastard
Sammy07
Nurudeen06

The answer is 1/2 but your explanation at 3 is not correct

The probability of picking G again is not 1 cause after eliminating the SS box, one of the remaining two boxes has a S and you don't know if that's what you'll pick next
Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by emae009(m): 9:49pm On May 26, 2020
Edopesin:

The answer is 1/2 but your explanation at 3 is not correct

The probability of picking G again is not 1 cause after eliminating the SS box, one of the remaining two boxes has a S and you don't know if that's what you'll pick next

go and read the question again.
"what is the probability of picking a yellow ball from the same box again". same box same box same box same box same box you drew the first ball from
Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by Edopesin: 9:53pm On May 26, 2020
emae009:

go and read the question again.
"what is the probability of picking a yellow ball from the same box again". same box same box same box same box same box you drew the first ball from

Think!!

You don't know if the other ball in that same box is silver so the probability is not 1

it's either another yellow or a silver
Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by emae009(m): 10:00pm On May 26, 2020
Edopesin:

Think!!

You don't know if the other ball in that same box is silver so the probability is not 1

it's either another yellow or a silver

Step by step:
1) there are now 2 boxes right. (we can agree on that front).
you have picked a gold ball from a box which is either the box or the GS box.
now answer this question: if it's the box that you picked the first gold ball from and your asked to pick another ball from that same box. what is the probability that it'll be a gold ball?
Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by Edopesin: 10:09pm On May 26, 2020
emae009:

Step by step:
1) there are now 2 boxes right. (we can agree on that front).
you have picked a gold ball from a box which is either the box or the GS box.
now answer this question: if it's the box that you picked the first gold ball from and your asked to pick another ball from that same box. what is the probability that it'll be a gold ball?

The probability that it will be a gold ball is not 1 and that's why the answer is 1/2

how you don't get it is a mystery

1 Like

Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by emae009(m): 10:22pm On May 26, 2020
Edopesin:

The probability that it will be a gold ball is not 1 and that's why the answer is 1/2

how you don't get it is a mystery

did you even read my first explanation, the one you quoted very well. the answer is 1/2. I was explaining why it's 1/2 in a simple way. the OP did the same thing in a graphical method. the answer is not 1/2 because you choose the first ball from the GS box, it's half because since you don't know which of the two boxes you chose the first ball from, it means your second ball can be either a G ball or a S ball giving you the probability of 1/2.

1 Like

Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by Edopesin: 10:29pm On May 26, 2020
emae009:

did you even read my first explanation, the one you quoted very well. the answer is 1/2. I was explaining why it's 1/2 in a simple way. the OP did the same thing in a graphical method. the answer is not 1/2 because you choose the first ball from the GS box, it's half because since you don't know which of the two boxes you chose the first ball from, it means your second ball can be either a G ball or a S ball giving you the probability of 1/2.

You just repeated what I've been saying since

good luck ✌️
Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by emae009(m): 10:32pm On May 26, 2020
Edopesin:

You just repeated what I've been saying since

good luck ✌️

read well before you quote people...
Re: If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here by Edopesin: 10:37pm On May 26, 2020
emae009:

read well before you quote people...
Take your own advice

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lagos Launches ₦5 Billion Recovery Support For Stakeholders In Education Sector / 2017/2018 FUTO Post-UTME Aptitude Test Form Is Out / Re: Kogi State University Admission List Out !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.