Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,888 members, 7,814,006 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:29 AM

Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC (2397 Views)

(UPDATED) Two Soldiers Die In Jos Army Barracks Blast. / Soldiers Shoot To Disperse 'occupy' Protesters In Lagos / Jos: Army Arrests 26 Mercenaries With Military Uniforms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jan 18, 2011

Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders

By Caroline Duffield

BBC News, Lagos

Nigeria's army says its soldiers have been given permission to shoot to kill to maintain order in the city of Jos.

"We are ordered to protect civilians and quell violence by any means necessary," military spokesman Capt Charles Ekeocha told the BBC.

A series of killings and bomb attacks over Christmas and New Year are thought to have resulted in more than 100 deaths so far in the central city.

Jos is a flashpoint of tension between Hausa Muslims and Berom Christians.

It sits on the faultline between Nigeria's north and south.

Capt Ekeocha publicly warned community leaders that the military would fire on anybody burning homes, churches and mosques or carrying out lynchings and attacking civilians.

An election official was killed and his body set on fire by an angry mob - one of three people killed in a riot on Monday - as people tried to register to vote.

Jos has experienced repeated outbursts of bloodletting: In deadly riots along city interfaces and in carefully planned attacks on remote villages.

The exact number killed this year alone is uncertain, with officials saying about 100 people died.

But a Christian group - the Stefanos Foundation - is questioning that.

It has just published graphic photographs of what it says are more victims of violence.

Their report shows scores of stiffened and charred corpses littering the ground in the aftermath of riots on 8 January.

The Stefanos Foundation says the Nigerian authorities buried those bodies immediately, and that the true scale of the killings is being concealed because the authorities fear sparking reprisals.

The police commissioner in Jos told the BBC he had not seen the photographs.

''On each occasion we have fully disclosed the facts that we are aware of in press conferences and we are not concealing any figures," the commissioner said.

''However, we will study the photographs of these new corpses if they are handed to us.

-Deadly riots in 2001, 2008 and 2010
-City divided into Christian and Muslim areas
-Hausa-speaking Muslims living in Jos for decades still classified as settlers
-Settlers find it difficult to stand for election
-Communities divided along political party lines
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by ElRazur: 12:19pm On Jan 18, 2011
Haaaa. Nothing changes mentally in that country. The same "kill and go" orders that were given to Riot-police back in the 80s and what not.

Surely there are better tactics to deal with Rioters than giving a "Shoot-to-kill" order? What happened to tactical approach like use of tear gas, rubber bullets (less lethal but hurts), hot water cannon, and to some extent using "kettling technique" that was used in London recently?

People have the fundamental right in a democracy to demonstrate and voice out their frustration. Giving an order like this is heavy handed and undermines democracy in my opinion.
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jan 18, 2011
ElRazur:

Haaaa. Nothing changes mentally in that country. The same "kill and go" orders that were given to Riot-police back in the 80s and what not.

Surely there are better tactics to deal with Rioters than giving a "Shoot-to-kill" order? What happened to tactical approach like use of tear gas, rubber bullets (less lethal but hurts), hot water cannon, and to some extent using "kettling technique" that was used in London recently?

People have the fundamental right in a democracy to demonstrate and voice out their frustration. Giving an order like this is heavy handed and undermines democracy in my opinion.

My brother, Nigeria has totally and utterly lost the plot.

Life is cheap in Nigeria.

Our leaders are a self-serving, confused, removed-from-reality, and greedy lot.
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by 10cirenoh: 12:23pm On Jan 18, 2011
^^^^^

If you think you have the democratic right to take another person's life, then you yourself should be ready to be gunned down.

Shoot them all if they are not ready to behave like humans.
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jan 18, 2011
10cirenoh:

^^^^^

If you think you have the democratic right to take another person's life, then you yourself should be ready to be gunned down.

Agreed, but we all know what our police and soldiers are like, they will end up shooting dead more innocent than guilty.
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by ElRazur: 12:30pm On Jan 18, 2011
10cirenoh:

^^^^^

Where has it been implied that one have the right to take the life of another democratically?  shocked

No, you just do not shoot people like that. Gosh, it is barbaric.

There is a video on the internet of a MOPOL who grabbed one of these alleged Boko Haram people and shoot him right in the public. What makes this sad is how the person killed was disable and defenceless.

Do you think that is right?   Even if the killed man is a member of the Boko Haram, from the video, he didn't do anything to justify his death.

Just remember that one that, these sort of powers may come knocking to your door and may be used on someone who may be your own family.
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by blacksta(m): 12:43pm On Jan 18, 2011
Very Simple

The everyday rational of an imbecilic Nigerian leader is as follow " the life of nigerian is not worth the life of an american person " hence the massacre.

In a country where the government does not build or facilitate structure's/development- the only alternative is to wipe out these pests.

God help you if are Nigerian.
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by 10cirenoh: 12:47pm On Jan 18, 2011
frosbel:

Agreed, but we all know what our police and soldiers are like, they will end up shooting dead more innocent than guilty.

When you know if you misbehave or show any sign of anger in you, you could get killed, then and then would you stop behaving like animals,

How many more do you want to hear? these people are just not ready to behave, if you don't want to be shot at sight, then walk with both hands raised in the air.
ElRazur:

Where has it been implied that one have the right to take the life of another democratically?  shocked

No, you just do not shoot people like that. Gosh, it is barbaric.

There is a video on the internet of a MOPOL who grabbed one of these alleged Boko Haram people and shoot him right in the public. What makes this sad is how the person killed was disable and defenceless.

Do you think that is right?   Even if the killed man is a member of the Boko Haram, from the video, he didn't do anything to justify his killings.

Just remember that one that, these sort of powers may come knocking to you door and may be used on someone who may be your own family.

I know they won't shoot women or kids, rather men, so the men who dont want to be shot should always walk with their hands in the air.

Better still, if your face is that of a strong criminal, then sorry for you,
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by Beaf: 12:54pm On Jan 18, 2011
Granted the Jos situation isn't normal, but shooting to kill isn't the answer.
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by ElRazur: 12:59pm On Jan 18, 2011
10cirenoh:

When you know if you misbehave or show any sign of anger in you, you could get killed, then and then would you stop behaving like animals,

How many more do you want to hear? these people are just not ready to behave, if you don't want to be shot at sight, then walk with both hands raised in the air.
I know they won't shoot women or kids, rather men, so the men who dont want to be shot should always walk with their hands in the air.

Better still, if your face is that of a strong criminal, then sorry for you,

You do not think the killing of innocent people who are just showing their frustration is more of an animal behaviour? shocked

What is the guarantee these people won't shoot women and children when there others are shoot-to-kill?

In your own logic, if women and children are"behaving like animals" surely, it is only right to shoot them? No?

You no serious.
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by 10cirenoh: 1:01pm On Jan 18, 2011
^^^^

I am yet to see where the police shot at women and children, until then i maintain my stand.

One more thing, if a woman is seen shooting and killing others, then she should be shot too.

Plain and simple (an eye for an eye).

He/she that kills with a gun should also died of the gun.
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by violent(m): 1:04pm On Jan 18, 2011
shoot to kill order?. . .are we at war or something?  shocked shocked shocked. . . wow, so much for government by the people and for the people, soldiers are not to shoot to restrain anymore, they are now licensed to kill, this time, civilians, it doesn't matter if you are a kid!. . .

this is more than barbaric!. . .no government in it's right senses will abhor and license extra judicial killings!
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by blacksta(m): 1:05pm On Jan 18, 2011
Beaf:

Granted the Jos situation isn't normal, but shooting to kill isn't the answer.

Maybe this is GEJ Intention in regards to the 10,000 Army to police Jos. I am sure the orders come from Commander in Chief

Please guess who the CIC is?

Anyway the life of  a Nigerian is not  worth the life of an american person
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jan 18, 2011
10cirenoh:

^^^^

I am yet to see where the police shot at women and children, until then i maintain my stand.

One more thing, if a woman is seen shooting and killing others, then she should be shot too.

It is the kind of mentality you have that makes Nigeria what it is today, One huge killing field.
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by Jakumo(m): 1:08pm On Jan 18, 2011
Teargas, rubber bullets, truncheon charges, water cannons, dogs and horsemen are the preferable means of containing mob disorder in streets, but the situation becomes far more chaotic when even a few of those demonstrators are seen brandishing or shooting firearms.

As soon as those armed policemen start to hear the supersonic crack of narrow misses in the air around their heads, the gloves are likely to come off, such that innocents WILL get caught in a crossfire and wind up as collateral casualties.
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by ElRazur: 1:10pm On Jan 18, 2011
10cirenoh:

^^^^

Off course you wont "see" one. You will be far away running for your life. In 98, Onipanu during one of the riots that engulf lagos (I think it had something to do with election or coup, can remember definitely) a woman was killed apparently by a "stray bullet", how do you account for that?

An eye for an eye is not the same as shooting rioters or protesters. In fact, giving the orders to shoot rioters or protesters amounts to a crude form of thinking and a failure of the basic components of law and order.  

Just only last week or so in Tunisia, the president had to give orders that police should NOT use live bullets on rioters. Why? Simple, the whole world was watching and the unrest and protest was gaining momentum.

Finally, I am asking you if women and children should be shot for "behaving like animals too"?
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by 10cirenoh: 1:12pm On Jan 18, 2011
frosbel:

It is the kind of mentality you have that makes Nigeria what it is today, One huge killing field.

Who cares? since they want to keep killing eachother, why not allow a neutral person do the killing for both party?
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jan 18, 2011
People could get shot at now if they find themselves aguing violently in public! Hey come off it, we all know what men in uniform are in this country, they are trigger happy! Just give them some time, u will hear report of how some defenceless men, women and children has been shot by soldiers who were simply following order!
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by ElRazur: 1:16pm On Jan 18, 2011
Jakumo:

even a few of those demonstrators are seen brandishing or shooting firearms.

How many people have firearms in Nigeria civilian population? They are less than 2% (In my opinion), that is a tiny amount spread over a big country like Nigeria.

How many people civilian or criminal elements brings arm to demonstration in naija?  Correct me if am wrong, in a crowd of 5 thousand or so, you are less likely to find one.

Assuming for one second that against all odds, one person was wielding a shakabula, and aiming it at the police, is that a strong enough reason to give a shoot-to-kill order?  

Before you answer, take into consideration how poorly trained our forces are in discharging live ammunition rounds in a public setting. Now, add on top of that how a charged atmosphere will affect their already poor discipline and respect for rule of law.

I rest my case.
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by 10cirenoh: 1:16pm On Jan 18, 2011
ElRazur:

Off course you wont "see" one. You will be far away running for your life. In 98, Onipanu during one of the riots that engulf lagos (I think it had something to do with election or coup, can remember definitely) a woman was killed apparently by a "stray bullet", how do you account for that?

An eye for an eye is not the same as shooting rioters or protesters. In fact, giving the orders to shoot rioters or protesters amounts to a crude form of thinking and a failure of the basic components of law and order.  

Just only last week or so in Tunisia, the president had to give orders that police should NOT use live bullets on rioters. Why? Simple, the whole world was watching and the unrest and protest was gaining momentum.

Finally, I am asking you if women and children should be shot for "behaving like animals too"?

This is not riot, this is pure killing spree they are known for, this is not burning of tyre on the roads, rather killing eachother, Muslims kill Christians, vice versa, so do the killing for them, maybe that is going to help them settle down.
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by ElRazur: 1:19pm On Jan 18, 2011
10cirenoh:

This is not riot, this is pure killing spree they are known for, this is not burning of tyre on the roads, rather killing eachother, Muslims kill Christians, vice versa, so do the killing for them, maybe that is going to help them settle down.

I see your point.

The violence you mentioned is still classed as a riot. Trust me, rubber bullet, pepper spray, Boiling hot water cannon shooting at high pressure can do very good damage but still removes death.
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by violent(m): 1:21pm On Jan 18, 2011
Jakumo:

Teargas, rubber bullets, truncheon charges, water cannons, dogs and horsemen are the preferable means of containing mob disorder in streets, but the situation becomes far more chaotic when even a few of those demonstrators are seen brandishing or shooting firearms.

As soon as those armed policemen start to hear the supersonic crack of narrow misses in the air around their heads, the gloves are likely to come off, such that innocents WILL get caught in a crossfire and wind up as collateral casualties.

Not withstanding, should we consider it a joke that we are being encouraged to leave the safety and comfort of our homes to register and defend our votes while soldiers all around us wielding AK-47 are with instructions to shoot to kill at their discretion?

what kind of country is this?  is there a way the government can actually contain crises without having to resort to a barbaric order which makes of us savages?

How can we be safe in our country when our children and friends can be tagged victims or casualties just because they want a better government and want their votes to count?

Who cares? since they want to keep killing eachother, why not allow a neutral person do the killing for both party?

Remember that a corpse is just a corpse until that corpse is your pops!

Someone somewhere who's a breadwinner will lose his life just because of this careless order, that's someone else's pops with a name and a family to care for.
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jan 18, 2011
[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stU0T2H1DMo?fs=1&hl=en[/flash]

This video shows how barbaric our police are
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by ElRazur: 1:38pm On Jan 18, 2011
Thank you Frosbel for posting that video. That was the video I was talking about.

Let me now hear some idiot tell me to come home and invest, or ask me what have I done for Nigeria. Bunch of freaking wankers. Yeah, I am freaking emotional right now, but Jeez how is it appropriate to kill innocent people like that in a country that claims to be "good" at everything. Fuuuccccccckkkkking bunch of oloriburuku.

Hate America, England, Germany and all those perceived state all you want, this will not happen without the man who pulled the trigger going to jail, his boss going to jail and heck the guy who even carried the camera sef go to jail. Even all those people who were there will be charged and convicted with accomplice to murder.

I hope Bluetooth and his gang don't come and talk some nationalism ideas in this thread, I will freaking eat them for lunch bunch of muppets.

Please tell me what happened to the soldier who pulled the trigger now?

I dare anyone to watch the video and then tell me shoot-to-kill is a good thing. Buncha wankers. Mssscchhhhheeeew.
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by jamace(m): 1:41pm On Jan 18, 2011
My people, when you hear rioters in Jos, it is not the ordinary rioters o. Some of these rioters are armed with AK47 just like the police/ soldiers, and you expect the police/soldiers to use water cannon and tear gas to disperse them? May be my head is not correct to think otherwise.
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by 10cirenoh: 1:43pm On Jan 18, 2011
ElRazur:

I see your point.

The violence you mentioned is still classed as a riot. Trust me, rubber bullet, pepper spray, Boiling hot water cannon shooting at high pressure can do very good damage but still removes death.

Yes, i understand your point, but does our police have rubber bullets, pepper spray, boiling water cannon? maybe GEJ should tell us why our police don't have these things.
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by 10cirenoh: 1:49pm On Jan 18, 2011
violent:

Not withstanding, should we consider it a joke that we are being encouraged to leave the safety and comfort of our homes to register and defend our votes while soldiers all around us wielding AK-47 are with instructions to shoot to kill at their discretion?

what kind of country is this?  is there a way the government can actually contain crises without having to resort to a barbaric order which makes of us savages?

How can we be safe in our country when our children and friends can be tagged victims or casualties just because they want a better government and want their votes to count?

Remember that a corpse is just a corpse until that corpse is your pops!

Someone somewhere who's a breadwinner will lose his life just because of this careless order, that's someone else's pops with a name and a family to care for.

And who told you that has not already happened?

Now tell me, how about if the same society you're representing goes ahead to kill that bread winner in his sleep? burn down his house, his kids, and wife?

Or maybe even set churches on fire and mosque on fire?

They are already killing eachother, why not instill fear in them, so that both parties won't dear go out with weapons, not to talk of using these weapons?

Rubber bullets can't stop an arrow shot into your skull, nor an AK47 shot into your potbelly, nor stop hunter's bullet entering into your backside.
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by ElRazur: 1:54pm On Jan 18, 2011
10cirenoh:

Yes, i understand your point, but does our police have rubber bullets, pepper spray, boiling water cannon? maybe GEJ should tell us why our police don't have these things.

The army sure do have rubber bullets or blanks. They use them in training.

The police should have this too as they had to train their men using blanks or rubber bullets at some point.
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by 10cirenoh: 2:03pm On Jan 18, 2011
ElRazur:

The army sure do have rubber bullets or blanks. They use them in training.

The police should have this too as they had to train their men using blanks or rubber bullets at some point.

Rubber bullets can't stop an arrow shot into your skull, nor an AK47 shot into your potbelly, nor stop hunter's bullet entering into your backside.
cheesy
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by ElRazur: 2:10pm On Jan 18, 2011
10cirenoh:

cheesy

Writing your point in bold do not make it relevant.

One, rioters just do not start shooting.

Two, just like war, there is a tactical approach to dealing with demonstration.

Three, in cases where Police are shooting with rubber bullets, it has a longer range that someone shooting with bow and arrow. So technically, someone with a gun loaded with rubber bullets can disarm a rioter with bow and arrow.

Four, When guns are involved, the strategy is redrawn and the rules may vary. However, you do not issue a shoot-to-kill on that basis. There are more guns in America than Naija, yet I am yet to hear such an order given.

I understand you agree with the use of weapons and firing on civilians, I do however beg to be different.

If there are good intelligence, the guns can even be taken and culprit arrested before the riot even start. etc. You see, there are ways and more than one way to kill a cat.
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by 10cirenoh: 2:18pm On Jan 18, 2011
^^^^

Geej, they're not rioters man, wake up and smell the coffee, the problem in Jos is not of rioters, it's of 2 different people seeking revenge for one thing or the other, stop ignoring the truth, they're not rioting, rather they are doing the same thing they have been doing,  Killing eachother,

Rioters don't go about with AK47s, hoes, cutlasses, Arrows, Knifes, petrol, matches and all kinds of weapon just to hurt eachother.

What is the definition of a civilian? a civilian in your own books is someone who goes about killing others with weapons of all kinds just because the victims are weaker and defenseless right?

BTW, i made your post bold too, that also means yours being made bold does not make it relevant too cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC by Kcswat22: 2:40pm On Jan 18, 2011
Yes i support shot to kill order in jos. N they have to do door to door search. These riot always plot there evil plot in der mosques then attack innocent people un aware. So the best tin is to shot to kill. They r animals.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Aisha 2, Whats With You And Buhari? / No Case Of Corruption Against Pef Boss, Mrs. Sharon Adefunke Kasali / Prof. Okon Uya: Echoes Of "oron-phobia"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.