Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,270 members, 7,815,453 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:41 PM

HEPATITIS B VIRUS: How Effective Is Vaccination? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / HEPATITIS B VIRUS: How Effective Is Vaccination? (313 Views)

Immunity To HIV Virus: How True Is It Please? / Corona Virus- How Nigerians Dress Up In China / All You Need To Know About The Deadly Hepatitis B Virus! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

HEPATITIS B VIRUS: How Effective Is Vaccination? by thiolhuwar09(f): 9:05am On May 25, 2020
Sometimes last year (2019), myself and my colleagues decided to get the Hepatitis Vaccine at the hospital. First dose was okay, less painful (I did "odeshi). Second dose was manageable (big girl) but the third dose .... I still feel the pain in my left arm. But it was worth it. An old adage says "prevention is better than cure".

As health workers, we're more exposed to various kinds of disease or virus by needle stick injury, splash of body fluids and blood but what about You? Have you checked your risk of contacting Hepatitis B virus? Have you received Hepatitis vaccine?

Here are a few things you should know;
1. Your liver is the largest organ (size of a football) and performs a lot of work including breakdown (metabolism) of food and drug, detoxify blood, store necessary vitamins and minerals
2. Hepatitis is an inflammation of the Liver caused by viruses (and/or alcoholism, allergic reaction, use of drugs) that damages the liver and disrupts it's work.

3. There are 5 types of viral hepatitis which are Hepatitis A, B, C, D & E but my focus today is Hepatitis B.
4. Hepatitis B is transmitted by contact with infected blood through sharing of needles (drug users) or sharp objects, unprotected sex with infected person, mother-to-child transmission during delivery. Hepatitis B Virus may go unnoticed (silent killer) until it becomes serious

5. Best form of prevention is by Vaccination. Hepatitis B vaccine stimulate your body to produce antibodies (body fighters) to protect you against the virus and reduce your chance if contacting the virus.
6. All Newborn babies should be given hepatitis vaccine which protects them till 20 years of age. However, children or adolescent (before 19 years) who missed the vaccine at birth can be vaccinated. Also, adults above age 20 should be vaccinated.

7. You'll be tested before given the vaccine (if negative). Hepatitis vaccine is usually given as a 2 or 3 shots over a 30 days period (1 month interval).
8. Early detection and prompt treatment of hepatitis b virus reduces risk of liver cancer and liver cirrhosis
9. Hepatitis B virus can be properly managed by adherence to treatment and lifestyle changes (avoid alcohol and use of illegal drugs)
10. Hepatitis vaccine is available in hospitals nearest to you.
BY;
Tolu Tosin
(Registered Nurse)

(1) (Reply)

COVID-19: 2,381 Patients In Lagos Not In Isolation Centres – Abayomi / This Altitude Will Harm Your Breast, Women Should Take Note of These 8Habits / My Passion For Nature, Roots And Healing Brought Me Into This Business - Toyin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.