Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,459 members, 7,808,635 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:34 PM

. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / . (567 Views)

Pls Give Me A Piece Of Advice On This Career.... / This Career Will Make You Financially Free For Lifetime / 5 Career Path You Can Easily Gain Valuable Experience From Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by Nobody: 11:59pm On May 25, 2020

2 Likes

Re: . by chatinent: 12:14am On May 26, 2020
My advice: assist mum set up a kiosk, then save.
Re: . by JhayJoe: 12:17am On May 26, 2020
Leave school for now,find ways to assist your mother and save every kobo
Re: . by Nobody: 8:41am On May 26, 2020
Mods please help get this to the front page. I'm in a state of confusion. I need more suggestions please

Cc: Seun
lalasticlala
dominique
ishilove
Re: . by mamatwiny(f): 1:40pm On May 26, 2020
The story long.
Since you want to get into cyber security. You can sign up for free course in the link below; they are giving some cyber security courses worth 500pounds free as their covid 19 support.

https://www.icsi.co.uk

I just scanned through your post cos of time issue, but I think you also explained you have money issue. Continue to hussle, make money and get a basic degree . coys will demand for your degree in addition to your cyber security skill.
The Futo certificate course you posted is just basic ccna training course and it is OK to attend. It is offered for 80k elsewhere. Networking is the first step of cyber security, you will need it .

Since you are interested in Futo, they have a course- computer information systems ( not sure of the name but it is in the same faculty as project Mgt) , the course is good.

Www.cybrary.it also have some free training for ccna. After that you can pay for the soc analyst training, then you do the penetration testing.

All these link are online courses and self paced. If you are serious, you can combine it with your hussle. You don't need to know programming skill for cyber security.

Below are some online resources you can get training for small money, some as little as $10 while some up to 100$.
Www.udemy.com
Www.udacity.com
Www.edx.org

And a lot more.

If I were to advise you, I will say take up some courses as a software developer ; full stack . Be good at what you are doing. You can start freelancing . That way you will save up money fast to go back to school. So that you can work well as a cyber security expert cos it is a top skill which requires a degree.

Edit
You say u don't have a laptop. This is your No 1 tool . There are fairly used laptop that are sold for 40k. B4 the laptop comes, you can just buy ear piece for 300 and connect to your phone and start up the online courses.

2 Likes

Re: . by Fidelismaria: 5:08pm On May 26, 2020
I dey come

Your tori long ooo but I go come read am later
Re: . by Nobody: 6:07pm On May 26, 2020
Re: . by Chiggsglover(m): 8:00pm On May 26, 2020
somehelpington:
Good day all. Look beyond my typing errors please. I'm really confused at the moment so I decided to share this here, so as to gather more suggestions. (Please read carefully)

I'm a 20 year old guy. I stay with my mom and little sister. I lost my dad at the age of 10. I registered for JAMB this year, but I couldn't write it because I was 1 hour late to the exam center. I live in Owerri and my center was mbeiri. I couldn't check my center before the exam day because I had no money on me. So that made me to miss the exam. I never told my mum the truth because she's hypertensive, rather I told her I didn't reach the cut off mark.

As a science student, I want to study Computer Science in the University. ( I WANT TO MAJOR IN CYBER SECURITY)
Truth be told, I want to read the course because that's what my spirit said I should do. (I have no primary experience about Coding or Programming) sad sad I don't even have a laptop but I'll soon get one by his grace. I've been getting discouraged by what I do read here about studying the course in Nigeria. I don't know how true it is.

There is this FUTO certification program that is being advertised on the school website (futo.edu.ng). I don't know if it's real or fake. Please I suggest you guys should check it out before I enroll for the program. After making enquires from some contacts I found on the website, I decided to register for FUTO Cisco Certification Program. It cost about 33k or so. I don't have the funds now, but I'm confident I'll pay for it before July.

Another thing is this, I can't stand to watch my mum go to the market everyday (6:00AM - 6:00PM) just to make sure we put something in the mouth. She sells charcoal in the market at daytime, while she sells banana in front of our house during night hours and after that she will comeback to complain that the money is too small to feed us. ( She has suffered a lot)

So I decided to follow our neighbor that's a builder or into building construction (The man knows almost everything about building/labouring work. (Iron bender, Carpenter, Bricklayer, Job work and so many others) To see if I can learn one or two things so I might at least be of help to the family. He asked if I wanted to learn it for the money(only labouring) or for passion(all aspects of building) My mum choose the later. Now am planning on how to reserve it and tell him the former(only labouring) because I don't see the reason why I won't be paid after working. For instance: 1 bag = 700/800. If am to work 1 bag (I can do 2 or 3 bags for now) for 7 days, 700/800 × 7 = 4900/5600. Then multiply it in a month. (21,000/24,000) I think that would really help in the family.

The first day we went to site, I learnt iron bending, how to measure, cut and bending of iron. Next, I also did my first job work(worwor) 2 bags of cement, chippings and sand. It wasn't funny bro, I almost fainted. All my fingers peeled like cassava. It was a fence work, the pillars and cap. Infact, I regretted it that very moment but later picked courage after much pressure from my mum. I've worked for 4 days now(Wednesday, Thursday, Friday & Monday) and am yet to receive any penny

Since last week, I've been following the man to site(8:00AM - 4:00PM) I told my mum I want to be taking tramadol so I can be able to work faster but she discourages me because of the side effects and maybe addiction. I've promised to buy it from any nearby chemist shop no matter what, (if am to start labouring job full-time) because I don't want to be receiving peanuts while my mates are doing far better. sad sad

To say I've been a lot, is an understatement (believe me). I did Lotto work last year, August - October. Could you believe I did not eat one naira from my salary? Infact my last salary (10% of my total sales of the month) before I quit was #75,000. I did not receive #1 from the white (Lebanese) people, they said I am to balance them. sad (I don't play credit neither do I play games for my self) maybe it's from the people that do come to collect change. I just left in peace. God knows best.

I need your suggestions now on these issues below:

1. Should I tell him that I want to focus only on the labouring job (not all building aspects) so I can save up and register for the certification program? (Can I still register for other certifications majoring cybersecurity without any knowledge of codes or programming? (I'm considering this)

2. Should I forget about the program stuff and stick to the labouring job full time so as to make more cash?

If at all I should forget about the certification program (God forbid) and focus on the labouring job, will I later regret it in life?

If I should forget about the labouring job and enroll for the program, how are we going to survive in this harsh weather?. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Thanks for reading.
Your story is really heartbreaking.
I wish it's possible to run the two together. If one was weekend and the other weekdays. Things like this will open you up to new opportunities, connection apart from what you learn.
I will advise that you work and save up as much as you can, money that will take you till the end of the program and start.
This is life here, we dont want any regret in future. Let it be that you tried every means to break out to greener pastures.
If after you finish the program, some paths should appear before you.
It might be any opportunity you might take that will land you a job or an enlightenment to start a business, who knows who and what you'll meet there.
The journey is not easy at all, bricklaying isnt beans, when we were digging my soakaway in the my dads house in the village, I saw girls and boys younger than me digging it, I felt uneasy and picked up the shovel. I know what I saw, my hands and feet peeled, I almost chopped off my foot with the Shovel.
You must keep moving forward, no matter how little your strides are.

Dont go there and be an introvert, make sure you're very open.

I really wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.
I've got to run back to my assignments.
Cheers.

1 Like

Re: . by Nobody: 8:05pm On May 26, 2020
My advice is this, thank God you are still young but not that young cos some youngster are making it big online
About laboring job,let's assume you have a side hustle bringing in feeding money, I would have said you should learn from the man. Believe me you will thank God you did later cos being a realtor is one of the top 10 best money making job in the world.
Follow the advice that lady gave you on free courses online.
Above all, you need serious prayers for God's guidance in anything you do.
But since you don't have any hustle apart from Labour job, face it squarely for now but that job no easy o talking from experience and pls I beg you, stay far away from drugs so you won't regret later.

2 Likes

Re: . by Nobody: 11:03pm On May 26, 2020

1 Like

Re: . by Nobody: 11:06pm On May 26, 2020
Re: . by jesmond3945: 12:03am On May 27, 2020
I would advise you don't go for the programme, you would learn but it would be basic. Infact CCNA doesn't pay that much. If you have a laptop buy data and learn app development using python or data analytics using python. Leave web development, there is no money there because it is now saturated. Self study is the best leave all these training centres, they are just after money.
Re: . by Omojuwagem(f): 11:19am On May 27, 2020
somehelpington:
Good day all. Look beyond my typing errors please. I'm really confused at the moment so I decided to share this here, so as to gather more suggestions. (Please read carefully)

I'm a 20 year old guy. I stay with my mom and little sister. I lost my dad at the age of 10. I registered for JAMB this year, but I couldn't write it because I was 1 hour late to the exam center. I live in Owerri and my center was mbeiri. I couldn't check my center before the exam day because I had no money on me. So that made me to miss the exam. I never told my mum the truth because she's hypertensive, rather I told her I didn't reach the cut off mark.

As a science student, I want to study Computer Science in the University. ( I WANT TO MAJOR IN CYBER SECURITY)
Truth be told, I want to read the course because that's what my spirit said I should do. (I have no primary experience about Coding or Programming) sad sad I don't even have a laptop but I'll soon get one by his grace. I've been getting discouraged by what I do read here about studying the course in Nigeria. I don't know how true it is.

There is this FUTO certification program that is being advertised on the school website (futo.edu.ng). I don't know if it's real or fake. Please I suggest you guys should check it out before I enroll for the program. After making enquires from some contacts I found on the website, I decided to register for FUTO Cisco Certification Program. It cost about 33k or so. I don't have the funds now, but I'm confident I'll pay for it before July.

Another thing is this, I can't stand to watch my mum go to the market everyday (6:00AM - 6:00PM) just to make sure we put something in the mouth. She sells charcoal in the market at daytime, while she sells banana in front of our house during night hours and after that she will comeback to complain that the money is too small to feed us. ( She has suffered a lot)

So I decided to follow our neighbor that's a builder or into building construction (The man knows almost everything about building/labouring work. (Iron bender, Carpenter, Bricklayer, Job work and so many others) To see if I can learn one or two things so I might at least be of help to the family. He asked if I wanted to learn it for the money(only labouring) or for passion(all aspects of building) My mum choose the later. Now am planning on how to reserve it and tell him the former(only labouring) because I don't see the reason why I won't be paid after working. For instance: 1 bag = 700/800. If am to work 1 bag (I can do 2 or 3 bags for now) for 7 days, 700/800 × 7 = 4900/5600. Then multiply it in a month. (21,000/24,000) I think that would really help in the family.

The first day we went to site, I learnt iron bending, how to measure, cut and bending of iron. Next, I also did my first job work(worwor) 2 bags of cement, chippings and sand. It wasn't funny bro, I almost fainted. All my fingers peeled like cassava. It was a fence work, the pillars and cap. Infact, I regretted it that very moment but later picked courage after much pressure from my mum. I've worked for 4 days now(Wednesday, Thursday, Friday & Monday) and am yet to receive any penny

Since last week, I've been following the man to site(8:00AM - 4:00PM) I told my mum I want to be taking tramadol so I can be able to work faster but she discourages me because of the side effects and maybe addiction. I've promised to buy it from any nearby chemist shop no matter what, (if am to start labouring job full-time) because I don't want to be receiving peanuts while my mates are doing far better. sad sad

To say I've been a lot, is an understatement (believe me). I did Lotto work last year, August - October. Could you believe I did not eat one naira from my salary? Infact my last salary (10% of my total sales of the month) before I quit was #75,000. I did not receive #1 from the white (Lebanese) people, they said I am to balance them. sad (I don't play credit neither do I play games for my self) maybe it's from the people that do come to collect change. I just left in peace. God knows best.

I need your suggestions now on these issues below:

1. Should I tell him that I want to focus only on the labouring job (not all building aspects) so I can save up and register for the certification program? (Can I still register for other certifications majoring cybersecurity without any knowledge of codes or programming? (I'm considering this)

2. Should I forget about the program stuff and stick to the labouring job full time so as to make more cash?

If at all I should forget about the certification program (God forbid) and focus on the labouring job, will I later regret it in life?

If I should forget about the labouring job and enroll for the program, how are we going to survive in this harsh weather?. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Thanks for reading.

Choosing a career path is simpler than you thought. The one simple truth is that you need to find what appeals to you. That is 'what you are passionate about?' How do you want people to refer to you? What do you want to be an expert at in few years time? For more insights, please follow us:

https://gemomojuwa./2020/05/26/creeping-things/?preview=true
Re: . by JayJayGee: 11:24pm On Aug 18, 2020
Just came across this. Do you have a way I can contact you? I'm also learning cyber security and would like to give you some valuable advice too long to type.

(1) (Reply)

Finance A Carton Recycling Business, 60K / Turned 18. I Need Advise On How To Make Money In School / Npower News Today Wednesday 26th January 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.