Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,209 members, 7,860,357 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 09:53 AM

Costa Rica Legalises Same-sex Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Costa Rica Legalises Same-sex Marriage (282 Views)

Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) / What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools / Shalom Shoremi: Lesbian Disowned By Family On Newspaper For Same Sex Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Costa Rica Legalises Same-sex Marriage by vegafbs: 9:51am On May 26, 2020
The issue of same-sex marriage seems to be one that will linger for as long as humanity exists.

However, Costa Rica is another country expected to become the latest to legalize same-sex marriage, Tuesday, when a ruling from its supreme court goes into effect ending the country’s ban.

Recall Ecuador announced it legalisation last year. It is also permitted in some parts of Mexico. Costa Rica now becomes the sixth country in Latin America to legalize same-sex marriage.

Some couples have already scheduled ceremonies — mostly private due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but some that would be broadcast — to celebrate their unions before judges and notaries after the ban was lifted at midnight.

The issue took center stage in Costa Rica’s 2018 presidential election after the Inter-American Court of Human Rights earlier that year issued an opinion that countries like Costa Rica, which had signed the American Convention on Human Rights, had to move immediately to legalize gay marriage.

It helped propel President Carlos Alvarado to victory over an evangelical candidate, Fabricio Alvarado, who had campaigned against it.

In August 2018, Costa Rica’s supreme court said the country’s ban was unconstitutional and gave the congress 18 months to correct it or it would happen automatically. The Legislative Assembly did not act, so at midnight the law banning same-sex marriage was nullified.

A campaign celebrating the achievement called “I do” planned a series of events including hours of coverage on state television and messages from celebrities, including Michelle Bachelet, the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights.

Gia Miranda, director of the “I do” campaign, said coverage would also include historical chapters of the movement in Costa Rica.

“It gives us so much joy,” Miranda said. “The only thing that could win with this is Costa Rica and in general love.” She said it would help decrease discrimination and make the country more prosperous and attractive to tourists. B

DETAILS: https://theupdates.net/costa-rica-legalises-same-sex-marriage/

Re: Costa Rica Legalises Same-sex Marriage by Righteousness89(m): 10:53am On May 26, 2020
Abomination ! So Unfortunate!

Human beings are the Most Stubborn Creatures!

Despite the Shakings in the World, you still use your Hands to Attract and invite GOD'S Wtath!

When the Wrath starts, you will be the first to Shout GOD is Wicked!

What else is Wickedness if it's not Conciously Going against Your Creator!

As u lay your Bird! You will lie on it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Costa Rica Legalises Same-sex Marriage by doitforyou(f): 11:22am On May 26, 2020
Good for them, now they get to enjoy same marital rights as heterosexual couples.

3 Likes

Re: Costa Rica Legalises Same-sex Marriage by Oluromantic: 11:27am On May 26, 2020
Chai, God is very patient o, Haba! Lemme just be God for one day, I swear the whole world will see the unimaginable.
Re: Costa Rica Legalises Same-sex Marriage by RiyadhGoddess(f): 11:32am On May 26, 2020
The Real Signs of the end time.

Hello, just a quick intro, I’m Shile aka Riyadhgoddess. I’m a Church Communicator, Account & Creative Mgr, Writer, Jesus Follower and a nobody who is happy to tell somebody about Jesus Christ. I’m the author of the books: Atonement, The Mystery of Reconciliation and The Devil’s Mission, The Real Sign of The End Time. Read my signature below.
Re: Costa Rica Legalises Same-sex Marriage by naija4life247: 4:20pm On May 26, 2020
White men sold us a dummy. They said God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah for homosexuality, same white men are trying to force homosexuality on everyone. They can do it everywhere including Africa, buy they will not mention it in Arabia.

(1) (Reply)

. / Bad Advice / A Mother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.