Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,765 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:55 PM

Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) (1048 Views)

My Baby Is Just 4 Months And My Wife Is Pregnant Again, I Want Abortion / 29-Year-Old Mother Of 4 Dies After Abortion, Impregnated By 25-Year-Old Boyfrien / Lady Tells Her Mother She Is Pregnant, Did Abortion. Watch Her Mum's Reaction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by Nobody: 11:16pm On Dec 30, 2020

Argentina has become the first big country in Latin America to legalise abortion following a landmark vote. Until now, women in the country were only granted an abortion if they had been raped or if there was a health risk for the mother.

But activists argued even these exceptions were not respected in some provinces. It forced thousands of women into dangerous clandestine procedures for which they could be penalised, or worse, suffer major health complications or death.

The Senate passed the law on Wednesday in a landmark victory for women’s rights activists who have been fighting for decades to legalise abortion in Pope Francis’ native country, where the Catholic Church has long held cultural and political sway.

It was passed at 4am with 38 votes in favour, 29 against and one abstention, following a lengthy 12-hour debate which started at 4pm on Tuesday.

Activists gathered outside congress in the capital Buenos Aires cheering, crying, hugging and waving green flags representing the country’s pro-choice movement.

Green smoke rose in the dawn light above the crowd. One emotional activist in the crowd said: ‘It changes everything now for millions of women. This is health – public health.

‘This is not a question of morals, it’s not a question of ethics, it’s a question of health and because of this, thousands of lives will be saved.’ President Alberto Fernández, who had pledged to support abortion rights during last year’s election, tweeted: ‘Safe, legal and free abortion is now the law.

‘Today, we are a better society that expands women’s rights and guarantees public health,’ he added. Monica Macha, a lawmaker with the president’s centre-left ruling coalition, tweeted: ‘We did it sisters. We made history. We did it together. There are no words for this moment, it passes through the body and the soul.’

The measure means abortion will be legal up to week 14 of pregnancy and will be permitted after that time in the cases of rape or danger to the mother’s life.

Argentina’s move is likely to have a ripple effect across Latin America where the vote was being watched closely by other Catholic stronghold countries.

Across the whole of South America, abortion is currently legal only in neighbouring Uruguay. Cuba, Guyana, the Antilles, and some areas of Mexico such as Oaxaca state and Mexico City are the only other exceptions in Latin America.

The new legislation was passed by Argentina’s lower house earlier this month – but the outcome of the vote had remained uncertain as legislators were given the freedom to vote as they wish.

A previous abortion Bill was voted down by politicians in 2018, but this time it was backed by the centre-left government Just hours before the Senate session began, Pope Francis weighed into the debate taking part in his home country, as anti-abortion demonstrators set up an altar and crucifix under a blue tent.

The Pope tweeted: ‘The Son of God was born an outcast, in order to tell us that every outcast is a child of God. He came into the world as each child comes into the world, weak and vulnerable, so that we can learn to accept our weaknesses with tender love.’

Supporters said the Bill seeks to eradicate the clandestine abortions that have caused more than 3,000 deaths in the country since 1983, according to figures from authorities.
Source: https://metro.co.uk/2020/12/30/argentina-legalises-abortion-in-historic-vote-13823945/

Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by backbone503(m): 11:25pm On Dec 30, 2020
Women should be given the right(s) to choose whats best for them.

Soul actually enters the foetus at birth. Hence, terminating a pregnancy (when safe to do so) doesn't amount to taking a life. I'm not in support of it though, but lets get the facts straight.

1 Like

Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by Smony: 11:39pm On Dec 30, 2020
backbone503:

Soul actually enters the foetus at birth. Hence, terminating a pregnancy (when safe to do so) doesn't amount to taking a life. I'm not in support of it though, but lets get the facts straight.
U are entitled to ur own opinion but as fr me I see a very big risk in legalizing abortion

1 Like

Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by Newman20(m): 11:43pm On Dec 30, 2020
Good for them

Smony:
Assuming ur mother abort you, you fr no dey her dey tap nonsense

Sir, this is a public forum. What you said goes against the rules

2. Don't abuse, bully, deliberately insult/provoke, fight, or wish harm to Nairaland members OR THEIR TRIBES.

7 Likes

Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by daviesmania(m): 11:47pm On Dec 30, 2020
They can't even wait to commit abortion... Look at how happy they are.... SMH!

7 Likes

Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by GIdiata(m): 11:48pm On Dec 30, 2020
people happily looking forward to committing sin.
life really no balance

2 Likes

Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by mariahAngel(f): 11:49pm On Dec 30, 2020
[s]
backbone503:

[/s]

YOU ARE A WICKED LIAR AND A DECEIVER!
"Soul enters the foetus at birth"? THE NERVE!

How come babies react to voices and sounds of music in the womb?
As long as there's a heartbeat, THERE'S A SOUL!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by Lamasta(m): 11:57pm On Dec 30, 2020
Abortion is murder

3 Likes

Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by SUPERPACK: 12:05am On Dec 31, 2020
Lamasta:
Abortion is murder
And giving birth to bastards in the society is a father.

2 Likes

Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by Lamasta(m): 12:13am On Dec 31, 2020
SUPERPACK:
It doesn't change the fact that abortion is murder now

4 Likes

Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by Humanoid01(m): 12:44am On Dec 31, 2020
backbone503:

The soul is united with the body at birth? how's this a fact?

2 Likes

Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by Nobody: 12:51am On Dec 31, 2020
Won't it be ironical that the same people who support abortion today will be the ones calling for heads of murderers in the society tomorrow.

I can only support abortion on the grounds of health related issues. Put on a condom if you don't plan to have kids, it's very simple.

3 Likes

Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by Nobody: 12:52am On Dec 31, 2020
SUPERPACK:
Put on a condom. It's cheap and sometimes free. sad

3 Likes

Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by aaking(m): 1:13am On Dec 31, 2020
Argentina is cursed nation. Since they legalise same sex marriage I know destruction has come upon them. Rom1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by francdec4(m): 2:59am On Dec 31, 2020
Very wrong perception. Stop misleading the naive ones. Man is whole; spirit, body and mind right from the moment of conception and not until a child is born. Abortion is taking life.

backbone503:

4 Likes

Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by illicit(m): 5:50am On Dec 31, 2020
This life is strong....
Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by Ekejoestar(m): 6:23am On Dec 31, 2020
Chai, see how low humans have gotten themselves

Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by backbone503(m): 6:24am On Dec 31, 2020
francdec4:
Very wrong perception. Stop misleading the naive ones. Man is whole; spirit, body and mind right from the moment of conception and not until birth. Abortion is taking life.

This remains your opinion, and you're well entitled to it.
Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by backbone503(m): 6:27am On Dec 31, 2020
Humanoid01:

The soul is united with the body at birth? how's this a fact?

Soul enters the body the moment the babies cries. Let me ask you a question: what do you understand by "stillbirth"?
Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by backbone503(m): 6:34am On Dec 31, 2020
mariahAngel:
[s][/s]

You just aired your view. But you called me names for doing same. This just shows how shadow, immature and unintelligent you're. When in public space, learn to hear (you need not accept it) others opinion and also present yours constructively. Thats all I have for you.
Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by backbone503(m): 6:37am On Dec 31, 2020
Smony:
U are entitled to ur own opinion but as fr me I see a very big risk in legalizing abortion

Since its now legal, hospitals can now comfortable carry them out.

2 Likes

Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by Biglittlelois(f): 7:35am On Dec 31, 2020
[s]
backbone503:

[/s]

Don't try too hard to justify what is wrong by proclaiming falsehood, a foetus already has a soul when it is fully formed and has a heartbeat, that is why it moves/kicks/feeds on its own.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by SweetCunt97(f): 7:40am On Dec 31, 2020
mariahAngel:
[s][/s]

Please spare him. Abortion is done when the foetus is simply bloody and without form. Babies start reacting in their 6th month and I'm sure no one can abort such.

1 Like

Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by Biglittlelois(f): 7:42am On Dec 31, 2020
[s]
backbone503:

Soul enters the body the moment the babies cries. Let me ask you a question: what do you understand by "stillbirth"?

[/s]

You're still not making sense, Stillbirth is the loss of a baby before or after birth, what has that got to do with your false narrative?

2 Likes

Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by SweetCunt97(f): 7:43am On Dec 31, 2020
Biglittlelois:
[s][/s]

Don't try too hard to justify what is wrong by proclaiming falsehood, a foetus already has a soul when it is fully formed and has a heartbeat, that is why it moves/kicks/feeds on its own.
Abortion happens when it's not fully formed ND without an heartbeat. Nigerians and unnecessary sentiment fueled by blind religion. Why can't we be objective and rational?

1 Like

Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by Biglittlelois(f): 7:50am On Dec 31, 2020
SweetCunt97:
Abortion happens when it's not fully formed ND without an heartbeat. Nigerians and unnecessary sentiment fueled by blind religion. Why can't we be objective and rational?

The bolded has got to be a joke right? Or you want to pretend people don't abort at 1 to 6 months when the foetus has a heartbeat?

The next time you want to quote me, keep your sentimental hatred/dislike for religion to yourself, and comment sensibly.

P.S a baby is not fully formed/developed until it reaches the 9th month, so what the hell are you saying?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by Biglittlelois(f): 7:57am On Dec 31, 2020
[s]
SweetCunt97:
Please spare him. Abortion is done when the foetus is simply bloody and without form. Babies start reacting in their 6th month and I'm sure no one can abort such.
[/s]

Keep your falsehood to yourself next time.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by obiefune65177: 8:12am On Dec 31, 2020
Ok oMay while, enjoy our cruise boat service for your vacation and relaxation with your love ones, friends and family.
Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by Humanoid01(m): 8:18am On Dec 31, 2020
backbone503:

Stillbirth defines the death of a baby before or during delivery. It actually occurs after twenty weeks of pregnancy, which is approximately after five months. What exactly is your point?

1 Like

Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by cococandy(f): 8:32am On Dec 31, 2020
daviesmania:
They can't even wait to commit abortion... Look at how happy they are.... SMH!

GIdiata:
people happily looking forward to committing sin.

life really no balance

you really think women are going to deliberately get pregnant just so they can experience having abortions?

1 Like

Re: Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos) by backbone503(m): 8:49am On Dec 31, 2020
I respect your diverse opinions, though I accept them not. I'd have loved to respond to some mentions and continue this discourse by bring forward some more salient facts to further broaden our horizon on the subject matter. However, looking at the calibre of people on this thread; its just not worth it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Want To Share My Experience, See What Happened To Me. / Am About To Lose My Admission. A Lady Cry Out / The Most Bitter Sibling Rivalries In History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.