Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,718 members, 7,831,276 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:29 PM

'I Can't Breathe: Man Dies After Pleading With Officer During Minneapolis Arrest - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 'I Can't Breathe: Man Dies After Pleading With Officer During Minneapolis Arrest (994 Views)

Man Scares Policeman As He Speeds Off With Officer (video) / George Floyd: Minneapolis In Chaos As Shops Are Looted And Burnt (video) / Nigerian Drug Peddlers Attack Police Officer During Raid In India, One Arrested (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

'I Can't Breathe: Man Dies After Pleading With Officer During Minneapolis Arrest by gr8keeng: 8:04pm On May 26, 2020
A man exclaiming "I can't breathe" as a Minneapolis police officer pinned him to the ground and put his knee on the man's neck for about eight minutes died Monday night, prompting the FBI and Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension to step in and investigate.

Video of the incident shows that a white police officer had a black man pinned to the ground next to the back tire of his patrol car with his knee on the man's neck.

"Please, please, please I can’t breathe," the man begs. "My stomach hurts. My neck hurts. Please, please. I can’t breathe."

Onlookers outside the Minneapolis deli urge the officer to get off the man.

"You’re stopping his breathing right now, you think that’s cool?" one man says. "His nose is bleeding, look at his nose!" says a woman.

The officer doesn't budge.

And then the man goes silent. More people begin to intervene and call for the officer or his partner to check for a pulse. The officer remains on the man's neck, even as he lay apparently unresponsive, for a total of about eight minutes before paramedics arrive and the man is placed on a stretcher.

"The man looked already dead before the ambulance even got there. He was clearly trying to tell them he couldn’t breathe and they ignored him," Darnella Frazier, one of the people who filmed the incident, told NBC News.

NBC News does not know what happened before the video recording began.

Civil rights attorney Benjamin Crump said in a statement that he was representing the family of the man, whom he identified as George Floyd.

"We all watched the horrific death of George Floyd on video as witnesses begged the police officer to take him into the police car and get off his neck. This abusive, excessive and inhumane use of force cost the life of a man who was being detained by police for questioning about a non-violent charge," Crump said.

"We will seek justice for the family of George Floyd, as we demand answers from the Minneapolis Police Department," Crump added. "How many 'while black' deaths will it take until the racial profiling and undervaluing of black lives by police finally ends."

A statement from the Minneapolis Police Department released early Tuesday said the officers had responded to a report of a forgery in progress and found the suspect in his car. He stepped out of the car when he was ordered to, police said, but then physically resisted officers.

"Officers were able to get the suspect into handcuffs and noted he appeared to be suffering medical distress," the statement said. "Officers called for an ambulance. He was transported to Hennepin County Medical Center by ambulance where he died a short time later."

Initially, police said that the department had called in the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension to independently investigate. A short time later, the department announced the FBI would also be investigating.

"We put out the information that we believed to be wholly honest and true. As we dug into it deeper, we realized that in fact it would be appropriate to have the FBI be apart of this investigation as well," said the department's director of public information, John Elder.

Police Chief Medaria Arradondo added during a news conference Tuesday morning, "There was additional information that I had received, quite frankly, from a community source that just provided more context than what I had preliminarily, originally." This prompted him to get the FBI involved "knowing that there could be a question of civil rights."

Federal agents were on the ground, Arradondo said. Body camera video was available, but has not been made public. Police said no weapons were used by anyone involved in the incident.

He said the officers involved were on paid leave. Neither of the officers in the video have been identified by the police.

The Police Officers Federation of Minneapolis said it supported the involved officers, who were cooperating with the investigation.

"Now is not the time rush to judgement and immediately condemn our officers," a statement from the organization said. "We must review all video. We must wait for the medical examiner’s report."

The Minnesota Department of Public Safety Bureau of Criminal Apprehension said investigators would like to speak with anyone who recorded or witnessed the incident. The bureau would be sharing its findings with the FBI and presenting the completed investigation to the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office for review.

"What we saw was horrible, completely and utterly messed up," Mayor Jacob Frey said of the video during the news conference. "I believe what I saw, and what I saw was wrong at every level."

"This man's life matters," Frey said. "He should not have died, he was a human being and his life mattered. ... Whatever the investigation reveals, it does not change the single truth that he should be with us this morning."

"Being black in America should not be a death sentence," Frey said. "When you hear someone calling for help, you are supposed to help, and this officer failed in the most basic human sense."

A protest was planned for Tuesday night at the scene of the incident. Frey encouraged protestors to express their anger, but asked them to do so safely and while social distancing.

Jovanni Thunstrom, the owner of Conga Latin Bistro, said Floyd had worked there as a security guard for more than five years. He said Floyd was also a friend and had been a tenant of his.

He wrote on Facebook that he first saw the video and later found out the person who died was Floyd. He said he was writing the post through teary eyes.

"My employee George Floyd was murdered by a police officer that had no compassion, used his position to commit a murder of someone that was begging for his life," Thunstrom wrote.

Thunstrom asked people who remembered the "gentle giant," who worked as a security guard at the Minneapolis bar and restaurant, to "please stand with us."

"Everyone who knows him knew he loved his hugs from his regulars when working as a security guard and would be mad if you didn’t stop to greet him because he honestly loved seeing everyone and watching everyone have fun," Thunstrom wrote on Facebook.

In a statement, Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn. said, "Justice must be served for this man and his family, justice must be served for our community, and justice must be served for our country."

"We heard his repeated calls for help. We heard him say over and over again that he could not breathe," Klobuchar said. "And now we have seen yet another horrifying and gut-wrenching instance of an African American man dying."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/man-dies-after-pleading-i-can-t-breathe-during-arrest-n1214586

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'I Can't Breathe: Man Dies After Pleading With Officer During Minneapolis Arrest by gr8keeng: 8:04pm On May 26, 2020
I don't know how to upload the video from the site.... You will literally cry watching the video of how the man was begging the cops, telling them he can't breath.... This is so pathetic, so sad.

UPDATE:
The cops involved has been fired. 4 of the officers have been fired following the fatal arrest.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/officers-involved-deadly-arrest-black-man-minneapolis-have-been-fired-n1215046

1 Like

Re: 'I Can't Breathe: Man Dies After Pleading With Officer During Minneapolis Arrest by Yenefer(f): 8:06pm On May 26, 2020
IPOB Masters treating them worst than animals

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'I Can't Breathe: Man Dies After Pleading With Officer During Minneapolis Arrest by Nobody: 8:06pm On May 26, 2020
I watched that video and I felt weak for the poor man. Even if he's a criminal to watch life ebb away from you slowly when all the policeman had to do was take of his knees is quite painful. Not to mention the white lady, and her dog, who called police cos a blackman said she should put her dog on a leash

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'I Can't Breathe: Man Dies After Pleading With Officer During Minneapolis Arrest by SultanM: 8:07pm On May 26, 2020
Couldn't read the whole story Sha, all I can say is RIP

1 Like

Re: 'I Can't Breathe: Man Dies After Pleading With Officer During Minneapolis Arrest by SultanM: 8:08pm On May 26, 2020
gr8keeng:
I don't know how to upload the video from the site.... You will literally cry watching the video of how the man was begging the cops, telling them he can't breath.... This is so pathetic, so sad.
link?
Re: 'I Can't Breathe: Man Dies After Pleading With Officer During Minneapolis Arrest by Yenefer(f): 8:13pm On May 26, 2020
gr8keeng:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxso3LqRWmQ

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'I Can't Breathe: Man Dies After Pleading With Officer During Minneapolis Arrest by anthonny: 8:17pm On May 26, 2020
Yenefer:
one night stand pls
Re: 'I Can't Breathe: Man Dies After Pleading With Officer During Minneapolis Arrest by Golan007: 8:22pm On May 26, 2020
Some Nigerians would even support the police.
Re: 'I Can't Breathe: Man Dies After Pleading With Officer During Minneapolis Arrest by Yenefer(f): 8:29pm On May 26, 2020
How mass shooters are arrested...

Once the cuffs are, it’s over, put the person in the car and let justice take over. I think we need to have the talk about how a High School diploma is all a person needs to be given this power.

Re: 'I Can't Breathe: Man Dies After Pleading With Officer During Minneapolis Arrest by budaatum: 8:32pm On May 26, 2020
gr8keeng:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkkEeyBbXUE

Re: 'I Can't Breathe: Man Dies After Pleading With Officer During Minneapolis Arrest by overdrive(m): 8:36pm On May 26, 2020
Very sad. Just watched the video. The man was deliberately murdered.
Re: 'I Can't Breathe: Man Dies After Pleading With Officer During Minneapolis Arrest by feedthenation(m): 8:44pm On May 26, 2020
Officer Derek Chauvin, already had a previous complaints against him dropped

1 Like

Re: 'I Can't Breathe: Man Dies After Pleading With Officer During Minneapolis Arrest by Nobody: 9:03pm On May 26, 2020
Yenefer:
Buy sense. Dem dey sell Hi-sense for Alaba

1 Like

Re: 'I Can't Breathe: Man Dies After Pleading With Officer During Minneapolis Arrest by feedthenation(m): 9:30pm On May 26, 2020
4 Minnesota police officers fired after death of George Floyd, black man seen pinned down in video

https://abcnews.go.com/US/fbi-probing-death-black-man-pinned-police-breathe/story?id=70880693&cid=clicksource_4380645_2_heads_hero_live_twopack_hed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'I Can't Breathe: Man Dies After Pleading With Officer During Minneapolis Arrest by Nobody: 9:32pm On May 26, 2020
Before i scrolled down i just knew the victim would be black. Racism modified through cops.
Re: 'I Can't Breathe: Man Dies After Pleading With Officer During Minneapolis Arrest by Righteousness89(m): 9:38pm On May 26, 2020
Too bad!
Man's Inhumanity to Man!

Wickedness is the order of the day!

The Spirit of antichrist has possessed some humans Already..

Just Imagine the Wickedness that will be on Display Once the Bride of Christ is Gone!

There is Need for us to wake up and be Prepared for what is Coming

1 Like

Re: 'I Can't Breathe: Man Dies After Pleading With Officer During Minneapolis Arrest by incogni2o: 10:37pm On May 26, 2020
rangerover:
Before i scrolled down i just knew the victim would be black. Racism modified through cops.

Pls don't label this.

it's sheer Human wickedness, simple
Re: 'I Can't Breathe: Man Dies After Pleading With Officer During Minneapolis Arrest by budaatum: 1:22am On May 27, 2020

Re: 'I Can't Breathe: Man Dies After Pleading With Officer During Minneapolis Arrest by losky83: 8:50am On May 27, 2020
gr8keeng:
A man exclaiming "I can't breathe" as a Minneapolis police officer pinned him to the ground and put his knee on the man's neck for about eight minutes died Monday night, prompting the FBI and Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension to step in and investigate.

Video of the incident shows that a white police officer had a black man pinned to the ground next to the back tire of his patrol car with his knee on the man's neck.

"Please, please, please I can’t breathe," the man begs. "My stomach hurts. My neck hurts. Please, please. I can’t breathe."

Onlookers outside the Minneapolis deli urge the officer to get off the man.

"You’re stopping his breathing right now, you think that’s cool?" one man says. "His nose is bleeding, look at his nose!" says a woman.

The officer doesn't budge.

And then the man goes silent. More people begin to intervene and call for the officer or his partner to check for a pulse. The officer remains on the man's neck, even as he lay apparently unresponsive, for a total of about eight minutes before paramedics arrive and the man is placed on a stretcher.

"The man looked already dead before the ambulance even got there. He was clearly trying to tell them he couldn’t breathe and they ignored him," Darnella Frazier, one of the people who filmed the incident, told NBC News.

NBC News does not know what happened before the video recording began.

Civil rights attorney Benjamin Crump said in a statement that he was representing the family of the man, whom he identified as George Floyd.

"We all watched the horrific death of George Floyd on video as witnesses begged the police officer to take him into the police car and get off his neck. This abusive, excessive and inhumane use of force cost the life of a man who was being detained by police for questioning about a non-violent charge," Crump said.

"We will seek justice for the family of George Floyd, as we demand answers from the Minneapolis Police Department," Crump added. "How many 'while black' deaths will it take until the racial profiling and undervaluing of black lives by police finally ends."

A statement from the Minneapolis Police Department released early Tuesday said the officers had responded to a report of a forgery in progress and found the suspect in his car. He stepped out of the car when he was ordered to, police said, but then physically resisted officers.

"Officers were able to get the suspect into handcuffs and noted he appeared to be suffering medical distress," the statement said. "Officers called for an ambulance. He was transported to Hennepin County Medical Center by ambulance where he died a short time later."

Initially, police said that the department had called in the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension to independently investigate. A short time later, the department announced the FBI would also be investigating.

"We put out the information that we believed to be wholly honest and true. As we dug into it deeper, we realized that in fact it would be appropriate to have the FBI be apart of this investigation as well," said the department's director of public information, John Elder.

Police Chief Medaria Arradondo added during a news conference Tuesday morning, "There was additional information that I had received, quite frankly, from a community source that just provided more context than what I had preliminarily, originally." This prompted him to get the FBI involved "knowing that there could be a question of civil rights."

Federal agents were on the ground, Arradondo said. Body camera video was available, but has not been made public. Police said no weapons were used by anyone involved in the incident.

He said the officers involved were on paid leave. Neither of the officers in the video have been identified by the police.

The Police Officers Federation of Minneapolis said it supported the involved officers, who were cooperating with the investigation.

"Now is not the time rush to judgement and immediately condemn our officers," a statement from the organization said. "We must review all video. We must wait for the medical examiner’s report."

The Minnesota Department of Public Safety Bureau of Criminal Apprehension said investigators would like to speak with anyone who recorded or witnessed the incident. The bureau would be sharing its findings with the FBI and presenting the completed investigation to the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office for review.

"What we saw was horrible, completely and utterly messed up," Mayor Jacob Frey said of the video during the news conference. "I believe what I saw, and what I saw was wrong at every level."

"This man's life matters," Frey said. "He should not have died, he was a human being and his life mattered. ... Whatever the investigation reveals, it does not change the single truth that he should be with us this morning."

"Being black in America should not be a death sentence," Frey said. "When you hear someone calling for help, you are supposed to help, and this officer failed in the most basic human sense."

A protest was planned for Tuesday night at the scene of the incident. Frey encouraged protestors to express their anger, but asked them to do so safely and while social distancing.

Jovanni Thunstrom, the owner of Conga Latin Bistro, said Floyd had worked there as a security guard for more than five years. He said Floyd was also a friend and had been a tenant of his.

He wrote on Facebook that he first saw the video and later found out the person who died was Floyd. He said he was writing the post through teary eyes.

"My employee George Floyd was murdered by a police officer that had no compassion, used his position to commit a murder of someone that was begging for his life," Thunstrom wrote.

Thunstrom asked people who remembered the "gentle giant," who worked as a security guard at the Minneapolis bar and restaurant, to "please stand with us."

"Everyone who knows him knew he loved his hugs from his regulars when working as a security guard and would be mad if you didn’t stop to greet him because he honestly loved seeing everyone and watching everyone have fun," Thunstrom wrote on Facebook.

In a statement, Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn. said, "Justice must be served for this man and his family, justice must be served for our community, and justice must be served for our country."

"We heard his repeated calls for help. We heard him say over and over again that he could not breathe," Klobuchar said. "And now we have seen yet another horrifying and gut-wrenching instance of an African American man dying."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/man-dies-after-pleading-i-can-t-breathe-during-arrest-n1214586
If that man was my brother,father,friend,I would hunt that racist cop,cut him in bits from his legs to his testis and leave him to die in pain.
Re: 'I Can't Breathe: Man Dies After Pleading With Officer During Minneapolis Arrest by dangotesmummy: 9:25am On May 27, 2020
Joining police to unleash your hate against blacks...smh
Re: 'I Can't Breathe: Man Dies After Pleading With Officer During Minneapolis Arrest by budaatum: 1:25pm On May 27, 2020

(1) (Reply)

Endsars: 11 Famous Celebrities & Their Tweets Protesting Against SARS Brutality / The Colombian Cartel Just Put A $70K Bounty On This Dog / How Wasiu Lawal (SARS) Wasted Hodewu Paul In Ilashe Area Of Ogun State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.