Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,878 members, 7,828,124 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:49 AM

Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue (3745 Views)

Fashola, Tinubu And Oba Akiolu Observe Eid Prayer (Photo) / Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think / Tree Falls Across Thompson Avenue, Ikoyi-lagos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by Nobody: 11:50pm On Jan 18, 2011
Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue

I had the privilege of walking down this long and famous Lagos street last week. A street filled with grand shops, banks, top class restaurants, and high end commercial/retail outlets of varied hue. Traversing the length and breadth of it are cars and suvs of impressive class.

This street has everything required to make it a world class shopping, leisure, and financial district, and major tourist attraction of real distinction.

The ONLY thing this street lacks is a properly built, covered drainage system with pedestrian sidewalks.

It literally is the ONLY thing required by this street, to transform it into a world class commercial centre capable of competing favourably with anywhere in the world. Everything else is in place.

It really is a sad spectacle when you walk along Allen avenue.

The open drains, filthy, green, malodorous, and choked with rubbish are a complete, utter disgrace, made more glaring against the so obviously high-end commercial outlets lining both sides of the street, testament not just to the peerless hardwork, drive, sophistication and dynamism of the Nigerian entrepreneur, but to the world class levels of disposable income prevalent in the area, waiting to be harnessed to the benefit of all stakeholders, including the government.

In fact, no street in all of Lagos deserves to have a fully covered drain and wide pedestrian sidewalks like Allen Avenue does.

I wish to use this medium to call on the Fashola government to do what needs to be done to that street, for it is simply inexplicable why it is allowed to fester in such putrid neglect. A street that should be a shining jewel and pointer to what dynamic urban Nigeria should be all about.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by EkoIle1: 12:23am On Jan 19, 2011
Rubbish post.

Lagos state's public works dept's website is obviously not hard to access. Don't be lazy, look for it and send them your concerns.

NL is not Fashola's website.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by violent(m): 12:47am On Jan 19, 2011
Fashola is not on NL you muppet!
Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by shotster50(m): 1:39am On Jan 19, 2011
@ Eko Ile and Violent,

You both are acting like NL are fathers' property. Are you in Fashola's pay Whats wrong with what Rossike posted?? Na which kain mentality be this one smfh.

4 Likes

Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by mensdept: 1:51am On Jan 19, 2011
Eko Ile:

Rubbish post.

Lagos state's public works dept's website is obviously not hard to access. Don't be lazy, look for it and send them your concerns.

NL is not Fashola's website.

Agreed. Everything is not Fashola do this, Fashola do that. There are others (Assemblymen, state agencies, etc). No wonder when they say 450 Billion has been stolen, because we dont hold others (outside the obvious leaders{Govs/Pres}) accountable
Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by Nobody: 3:50am On Jan 19, 2011
This is ludicrous. The buck stops at Fashola's table.

And there's no reason Fashola cannot visit this site - Nigeria's biggest online forum - to glean the pulse of the people.

If Jonathan can spend hours on Facebook, what stops Fashola from stopping by here every now and then?

1 Like

Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by Nobody: 4:09am On Jan 19, 2011
I don't know if anyone here has visited International Drive in Orlando, Florida.

Allen Avenue has all it takes to be our International Drive, if only we can see its worth and create a befitting infrastructure for it.

International Drive Orlando

Can somebody please tell me what is so hard about replicating this on Allen Avenue?

Is it the concrete for the pavement that is too expensive for us, or is it the grass adjoining it that is beyond our capability? I mean...... we yab sha.
Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by politicus: 4:10am On Jan 19, 2011
fashola is on nairaland, just keep typing

1 Like

Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by PapaBrowne(m): 4:21am On Jan 19, 2011
ROSSIKE:

I don't know if anyone here has visited International Drive in Orlando, Florida.

Allen Avenue has all it takes to be our International Drive, if only we can see its worth and create a befitting infrastructure for it.
Rossike, I feel you! Always have the same sentiment when I'm on Allen. International Drive surely is a perfect example! A Pedestrain walkway would do the trick!! We need these walkways not just on Allen but Also on streets like Awolowo Road, Ikoyi and some other streets in VI.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by Nobody: 4:29am On Jan 19, 2011
PapaBrowne, you see, it doesn't actually take much to get many of these places in Lagos to look world class. The basic stuff is already there on ground - the buildings, establishments, roads etc are all there. It's just that extra touch or finishing that's needed, and you've got a top class destination. Those streets near Allen like Opebi Rd, Awolowo Rd etc should be given the same treatment, and could be served by a special tram or bus service like the I-Ride that serves International Drive and surrounding roads, conveying revellers/visitors around the area 24/7.

The other day I walked for over an hour along International Drive. It was a hot and sunny day, but I enjoyed the walk. Thoroughly. I was just popping in and out of shops and eateries without stress.

The sidewalk was wide, clean, spacious. There was no sign of gutter anywhere. One was not forced to constantly look back, as on Allen, to avoid getting crushed by on-rushing Okada cyclists or crazed drivers in Jeeps battling with you for that limited space between their wheels and the gutter.

I actually believe if we upgrade Allen and surrounding streets as suggested, it would exponentially boost commercial activity and tourism in that area, drawing countless people there who, as it stands today, simply can't be bothered by the hassle.
Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by EkoIle1: 4:53am On Jan 19, 2011
What you're suggesting is really a great idea and you wont belive how many times I've sent the same suggestion to the state yo look into stuff like that.

What you're suggesting is a great Idea and you won't believe how many times I've sent similar suggestions to the state.

I even suggested setting up tax generating board walks at the Marina, Bar beach, Lekki, Ikoyi, Yaba with regulated and sanitized street food scene, artisan displays, side walk entertainers and many more.

Obviously, I'm not oblivious per the fact that it's gonna cost them a few millions to set it up. It gets more difficult with other government services and obligations competing for the state's meager pocket.

The fact is, it's very possible to recoup what ever investments made in these areas via taxes from extra cash generated by businesses in the area due to extra human traffic and also from licensed vendors, food sellers, ice cream and candy carts, artisans and other participating concerns.

The pic below really should be generating tons of tax money for the state. Reminds me of Venice beach board walk in California,

http://4.bp..com/_bDcpR_wJ7hk/SezNTRm8V3I/AAAAAAAAAPg/35_PL5fDxsw/s1600-h/66.jpg

1 Like

Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by Nobody: 5:08am On Jan 19, 2011
Eko Ile, nice one. I think they should get rid of that red fence and just leave that space open. Or they could replace the fence with rows of musical fountains, with night displays.

Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by Kilode1: 6:25am On Jan 19, 2011
ROSSIKE:

Eko Ile, nice one. I think they should get rid of that red fence and just leave that space

Your head is surely screwed on right.

It will look better w/o the fence, more welcoming more accessible. I'll like to see the same done to those highway gardens, remove the obstruction so drivers and pedestrians can enjoy the view, there is no point caging beauty. (I know litter can be an issue sometimes, fine them!) Gotta give it to Fashola and Lagos though, they are putting in the efforts.
Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by EkoIle1: 6:29am On Jan 19, 2011
I like that. That's exactly what they need to do, they need to create a vibrant nightlife in that area.

Imagine enjoying cool marina breeze and some great entertainment.
Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by Afam4eva(m): 6:47am On Jan 19, 2011
@ ROSSIKE

Allen avenue is way to small to be like Orlando drive. The road is too tiny.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jan 19, 2011
afam4ever, Allen Avenue can be widened to the point you'll end up wondering if it's the same street. There is a lot of space that's unaccounted for and wasted, such as the open drains which ought to be a paved walkway, and the space taken up by various company gates opening outwards onto the street. All that wastage can be eliminated.

Oxford Street in London is even more narrow than Allen Avenue, yet it remains an enviable destination for millions of shoppers and tourists every month! It's all about planning.
Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by blacksta(m): 8:18pm On Jan 19, 2011
My head ori mi to fo

See this people comparing I - Drive with Allen.

U see any gutter for I drive -

U people watch yourself. grin
Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jan 19, 2011
blacksta, look, honestly speaking, I-Drive can be replicated on that Allen, if we take ourselves seriously as a people who want to move forward. A people to be reckoned with.

Do you know there are several shops and outlets on Allen that will give anywhere on I-Drive a run for it's money, in terms of  sheer class? Why then should people have to be jumping gutter and looking out for crazed okada cyclists in  patronising these outlets on Allen?

I passed one really exclusive shop on Allen that dealt in flowers and perfume or something. Really sophisticated set up. Exterior Decor and signage were first class. In between the place and the road was this really foul gutter that just made you wonder how the two could possibly co-exist in the same space. Like gold sat beside goat shiit. We need to do something about this.
Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by blacksta(m): 8:43pm On Jan 19, 2011
ROSSIKE:

blacksta, look, honestly speaking, I-Drive can be replicated on that Allen, if we take ourselves seriously as a people who want to move forward. A people to reckon with.

Do you know there are several shops and outlets on Allen that will give anywhere on I-Drive a run for it's money, in terms of  sheer class? Why then should people have to be jumping gutter and looking out for crazed okada cyclists in between patronising these outlets on Allen?

I passed one really fine shop on Allen that dealt in flowers or something. Really sophisticated set up. Exterior Decor and signage were first class. In between the place and the road was this really foul gutter that just made you wonder how the two could possibly co-exist in the same space. Like gold sat beside goat shiit. This needs to stop.

I agree 100% - actually there nothing so special about I drive apart from Sea world and a house that is upside down. Nigeria is about 25 years back in terms of development and it will take time to get there but first we need selfless leaders who will put National interest above personal interests.

Allen avenue has now been abandoned for the Island which itself is a shame. I remember those days Allen was a happening place.
Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by KnowAll(m): 10:10pm On Jan 19, 2011
What they should do is build a multi story car park at d juntion of Opebi & Allen, all who have business in d area would park there at a discount and those who actually live on Allen can park their cars with a 90% discount in d car park.

After building d multi- story car park they should ban okada from Allen Avenue, Toyin Street & Opebi in it's place a tram would run from Allen to Opebi then to Toyin street, Danfo's should also be banned only registered Taxis & d Trams should be d only legal public transport.

The spaces in front of most of those exquiste shops where owners park their vechiles would be expanded & paved to be used as walk-ways obviously with those ubiquitious open gutters covered & put under-ground where it should be.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jan 19, 2011
Very well said, KnowAll.  cool
Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by Mariory(m): 11:07pm On Jan 19, 2011
How about a few pics of what Allen looks like now?
Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by TheOne2(m): 11:18pm On Jan 19, 2011
OP

Pls don't say this too loud o. Tinubu will pick up on it and put the sidewalks along with 3 toll gates to boot. Abeg no subject Allen people to the same thing we Lekki people a battling. sofri sofri o
Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by Nobody: 11:26pm On Jan 19, 2011
Mariory, here's a few pics of Allen Ave,  There should be more pics around of the place, but it doesn't attract anything like the number of pedestrians/tourists it should, for reasons stated, hence the paucity of pics.

[img]http://crazynigerian.files./2011/01/img00160-20110101-1416.jpg?w=663&h=613[/img]

[img]http://crazynigerian.files./2011/01/img00164-20110101-1418.jpg?w=666&h=607[/img]

[img]http://1.bp..com/_uZhXcmvA6rA/S-cmScDaEZI/AAAAAAAAAm0/z-AbekqROPE/s400/allen_avenue.jpg[/img]

Here's a major international hotel chain, Best Western Hotels, also on Allen Ave.

See street outline:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10845086@N07/994864234/lightbox/
Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by asscend: 1:02am On Jan 20, 2011
KnowAll:

What they should do is build a multi story car park at d juntion of Opebi & Allen, all who have business in d area would park there at a discount and those who actually live on Allen can park their cars with a 90% discount in d car park.

After building d multi- story car park they should ban okada from Allen Avenue, Toyin Street & Opebi in it's place a tram would run from Allen to Opebi then to Toyin street, Danfo's should also be banned only registered Taxis & d Trams should be d only legal public transport.

The spaces in front of most of those exquiste shops where owners park their vechiles would be expanded & paved to be used as walk-ways obviously with those ubiquitious open gutters covered & put under-ground where it should be.

i like your proposal.

It can be done if the govt want to; how ever a private firm can tke it up including funding the project; the govt will bow to your proposal as long as they will be something for them.
Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by asscend: 1:10am On Jan 20, 2011
The hall mark of a morden city are good walk ways.

Only in Nigeria will contract be awarded for a road and there will be no walk ways. This is absurd and should stop.

In places that seem to have walk ways you find street traders displaying their goods on it; or pedestrians battling the road with Okada.

if we have good walk ways you will find out that people will walk which in turn keeps them fit and will reduce our dependence on Okada or public transport.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by Demdem(m): 8:53am On Jan 20, 2011
To be honest guys, i honestly feel that those Nitel cables flying all over the place should be cleared away first. its so annoying. Next is Nepa poles. they should be tidied. Really annoying seeing all these things.
Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by Nobody: 9:07am On Jan 20, 2011
Demdem, I reckon we can probably get away with leaving those poles as they are, since re-arranging, removing them will be one hell of a task not to mention the disruption to services it will entail. If you notice, they also have those poles on I-Drive (below). It's just arranged in such a way you hardly notice them.

Looking at this pavement, one can only imagine walking the length of Allen on such a surface, popping in and out of the various outlets with ease.  You won't even notice when you've walked the entire length of Allen twice or thrice over, something you can never think of doing today.

Imagine the loss to businesses of not having this.

Imagine doing an early morning jog on this. Chei. But we no like good thing for this country sha!  undecided
Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by hercules07: 9:17am On Jan 20, 2011
Good one guys, the problem is Nigerian road contractors dont do drainages, and they dont do covered ones at that, I get annoyed when road work is being done without drainages, it is better that all drainages are fixed first before you start building roads.
Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by Nobody: 9:21am On Jan 20, 2011
@ OP, I agree with you.

Ignore the haters
Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by Nobody: 10:23am On Jan 20, 2011
hercules07, you're right. Sometimes one sees pictures and videos of some of these state governors' ''achievements''. Under ''road construction'', you see various roads commissioned, with no sidewalks - just an open gutter or sand.

And the people are praising the governor for ''building the road'', or ''renovating the road''!

Performing traditional dances for him!

Awarding him chieftaincy titles!

Yet there's no where for pedestrians to walk on! They're supposed to 'manage' by walking along the road together with the cars, buses and motorcyclists!

There needs to be a mandatory standard set for ALL road construction in the country.

It must be a federal law that no road in an inhabited area can be built without an adjoining sidewalk and covered drainage on both sides. The law must be backdated so as to make all current roads without such facilities, eligible for renovation in line with the legislation.
Re: Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue by Kennyblues(m): 11:45am On Jan 20, 2011
Rossike, I agree with you and I believe our government can do it if only they want to do. But have you ever thought of one thing about successive government; they always view maintenance as a misplace priority whereby they construct good roads atimes and adequate maintenance of it is provided for.

Looking at the picture of I-Drive where we see a sidewalk sandwiched between two beautiful lawns, you will always a nice view of both the vehicular movement on one side and the alluring edifices on the other side. Can we say the same for the grasses and flowers planted all around Lagos that has even outgrown the people? We may not blame the government though, the people who are saddled with the responsibilities of taking care of them but decided to neglect owing to avalanche of govt lackadaisical attitude towards maintenance culture

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone / An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' / See What Happened At Buhari's Campaign In Jos???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.