Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,224 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:49 AM

Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone (3742 Views)

$3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG / Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion / Foreign Reserve Has Risen By $2.89b In One Month Under Buhari – Emefiele (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by Gbawe: 11:24pm On Oct 17, 2011
http://saharareporters.com/news-page/jonathan-depletes-nigerias-foreign-reserve-35-billion-2011-alone

Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone
Posted: October 17, 2011 - 16:26

President Goodluck Jonathan's financial recklessness has further depleted the strategic foreign reserve of the Nigerian state by $3.5 billion in 2011 alone, according to information obtained by SaharaReporters.

A source at the ministry of finance told SaharaReporters at the weekend that when Mr. Jonathan came into office, he met a robust foreign reserve in place, but this year alone, he and his gluttonous inner circle have frittered away $3 billion of the reserves, which is now at $32 billion, down from $35 billion in January.

This situation is further compounded by criminal rent seeking and petroleum subsidy applied to petroleum products importers, notably Femi Otedola, who are also members of Jonathan's "Economic Team." In 2011, rent seekers and economic leeches will get $6 billion in the name of petroleum subsidy.

A Central Bank of Nigeria document however states that so far petroleum product importers have only imported $7 billion worth of fuel imports, meaning that only $1 billion of their investment has been spent on import, with Nigeria being made to subsidize and reward their criminal activities with $6 billion.

SaharaReporters also learnt that foreign multinational oil companies are ripping Nigeria off through a maze of sharing and royalty agreements that were agreed upon in the 90s when oil prices were at $30 per barrel. Last week, following an extraordinary meeting of the Central Bank of Nigeria’s Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) on October 10, the CBN revealed in a communiqué that a substantial part of oil production (about 40%) is currently in deep offshore wells.
“Based on terms agreed in the 1990s when oil price was under $30, royalty from oil wells deeper than 1,000 metros is zero percent and the nation is maidenly 20 %of profit by oil companies after deducting their expenses, as a result the country (Nigeria) has had limited benefit from high polio prices and increasing output, with most of the gains going to multinational oil companies under and inequitable fiscal arrangement," the MPC said.

Whereas the MPC recommended the passing of the Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB) to stop the scams in that industry, it however recommended that Nigerians be saddled with the burden of paying for the crimes of the rent seekers involved in petroleum subsidy scams and blamed “discordant voices” for delaying “enabling legislation for correcting fiscal terms.” The committee asked that Nigerians be made to pay higher prices for petroleum products that would put some $10 billion back into the economy.
“Whereas the labour unions have genuine concerns about the impact of subsidy removal on the poorer segments of society, the stark reality is that the country is living above its means,” the MPC said.

The MPC estimates that “simply passing the PIB and removing subsidies on Premium Motor Spirit(PMS) will add at least $10 billion to national reserves annually,” with no consideration of how quickly irresponsible governing vultures will descend on it at the expense of the nation’s poor on whose back such numbers will be made up.
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by Beaf: 11:26pm On Oct 17, 2011
Lets await the ishness about to be unleashed on NL by those who are buying trains to ply Ikirun Road. Na so we see am!
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by TomFord: 11:49pm On Oct 17, 2011
Beaf:

Lets await the ishness about to be unleashed on NL by those who are buying trains to ply Ikirun Road. Na so we see am!

I fail to see the relevance of trains to depletion of the foreign reserve.

I'm pretty sure it will further reduce before the year runs out

beaf, aint you supposed to give us an explanation on how your colleagues are milking the taxpayers dry?

3.5billion?i barely see any thing on ground.What an expensive government
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by Beaf: 11:58pm On Oct 17, 2011
^
Perhaps you were clever enough to find evidence of "the depletion of the foreign reserve?" Clever boy!
Can you explain exactly how, where and at what point in that bizarre article you found such evidence?

I wanna get high like you guy's, so that I too can rubbish with careless abandon. There must be a trick to it and it must be phucking great fun!!! grin grin grin grin

Entertaining.
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by dayokanu(m): 12:08am On Oct 18, 2011
The only thing Retardeen Odechukwu is good at
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by TomFord: 12:15am On Oct 18, 2011
you again?back with the insults
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by dayokanu(m): 12:21am On Oct 18, 2011
Who did I insult? COs I dont remember insulting you.

BTW Retardeen is not an insult its just a perfect description of Odechukwu Jonathan

analogous to calling Bill Gate a geek, Zukerberg a whizkid, Warren Buffet a sage and osama a terrorist
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by kabba7(m): 5:39am On Oct 18, 2011
Please tell me something different this I already know!
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by Relax101(m): 5:52am On Oct 18, 2011
All this rubbish from sahara is just to put the government under check.
For sometime now, dem never bring any hot news abi na cooked rumour.

Atleast make dem drive trffic come their site small. mchewww!!!!!!!!
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by hercules07: 6:00am On Oct 18, 2011
@Dayo,

Go on with the assault on the guy jare, the guy deserves the name calling, meanwhile it is not news that they are depleting our reserve, what we expect to hear is some new IMF funds that are being accessed by the government (loans), when government spends money on projects they are quoted in naira but when they go for loans, they are quoted in dollars to make them look small.
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by Gbawe: 7:38am On Oct 18, 2011
Tom Ford:

I fail to see the relevance of trains to depletion of the foreign reserve.

I'm pretty sure it will further reduce before the year runs out

beaf, aint you supposed to give us an explanation on how your colleagues are milking the taxpayers dry?

3.5billion?i barely see any thing on ground.What an expensive government

You should understand that Beaf is the most nauseating sycophant in cyberspace. He supports the worst misrulers and thugs (recently praising OBJ over a foolish and egotistic 'bridge-building' visit that cost a man his life) while demonzing those who are moving Nigeria forward. He is here to imply that this report is false. Well, bright Nairalanders can tell for themselves when they add the insane decision of GEJ that the clearing house of corruption (NNPC) turn around our refineries in 24 months (when the entire world is screaming transparent privatisation) with this section of the article:

This situation is further compounded by criminal rent seeking and petroleum subsidy applied to petroleum products importers, notably Femi Otedola, who are also members of Jonathan's "Economic Team." In 2011, rent seekers and economic leeches will get $6 billion in the name of petroleum subsidy.

A Central Bank of Nigeria document however states that so far petroleum product importers have only imported $7 billion worth of fuel imports, meaning that only $1 billion of their investment has been spent on import, with Nigeria being made to subsidize and reward their criminal activities with $6 billion.

GEJ is simply a profligate gradualist who is comfortable with the PDP's ruling ethos which involves cornering Nigeria's wealth for a few. GEJ leans more towards maintaining the status quo than towards radical changes and , given that the evidence abounds to supports this, I think it is only gullible Nairalanders who will allow a paid sycophant and reprobate convince them that GEJ is anything other than part of 'awon boys'.
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by Beaf: 7:43am On Oct 18, 2011
Gbawe:

You should understand that Beaf is the most nauseating sycophant in cyberspace. He supports the worst misrulers and thugs (recently praising OBJ over a foolish and egotistic 'bridge-building' visit that cost a man his life) while demonzing those who are moving Nigeria forward. He is here to imply that this report is false. Well, bright Nairalanders can tell for themselves when they add the insane decision of GEJ that the clearing house of corruption (NNPC) turn around our refineries in 24 months (when the entire world is screaming transparent privatisation) with this section of the article:
. . .

"Beaf, Beaf, Beaf, Beaf, Beaf, Beaf, Beaf, Beaf, Beaf, Beaf, Beaf, Beaf, Beaf, Beaf, Beaf, Beaf!!
Beaf stole my wife!
Beaf laid my babe!
That child was fathered by Beaf!
Because of Beaf na im I de sick so!
Beaf wound me bad!"

Na wetin?!!! My broda, you go kill yourself one day o!
Face your front!
www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by CyberG: 7:45am On Oct 18, 2011
LOL. . .why NOT? Finish the goddamned change remaining in the reserve quick. . .Nigerians are behind you!! Only $3 B you people are complaining, that's like N3, when most people in Nigeria are millionaires and live a great life. Nothing like "poverty line" in Nigeria, so Jona finish the money quick - it is your personal property. tongue tongue
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by egift(m): 8:52am On Oct 18, 2011
Stealing money? That we know. Am even surprise he still have some balance grin

GEJ: 2011 - 2015
www.nairaland.com/attachments/429070_continuity_gif9a707f56000ec259b18a6e5b45cfa2f7
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by egift(m): 8:54am On Oct 18, 2011
Beaf is a beneficiary.
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by PointB: 8:57am On Oct 18, 2011
^^^

I got $1.5 billion of the money too! grin grin grin grin I wonder why Shahara Reporter fail to mention my name. undecided undecided undecided

Go on my man GEJ. Nothing do you!
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by babyboy3(m): 9:54am On Oct 18, 2011

Can someone tell me how much would it cost to build a refinery similar to the one Shagari built in the 80's in the north which was the 4th largest in the world that could serve the whole of Africa. because importing fuel doesnt make sense.
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by Demdem(m): 10:01am On Oct 18, 2011
Beaf:

^
Perhaps you were clever enough to find evidence of "the depletion of the foreign reserve?" Clever boy!
Can you explain exactly how, where and at what point in that bizarre article you found such evidence?

I wanna get high like you guy's, so that I too can rubbish with careless abandon. There must be a trick to it and it must be phucking great fun!!! grin grin grin grin

Entertaining.

dont mind SR. they are noted for their lies. Please kindly publish the true status of Nigerian Foreign Reserve since the beginning of this year till date since you seem to be in custody of it. lets try and compare it with what SR claims it is.
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by bisiaet: 10:08am On Oct 18, 2011
Abeg let Sahara report or Jungle report let us rest.

Let them F U C K I N G ssshhhaaarrrraaappp!!!!!!!!!!!!! and go to H E L L
Everytime this happen that happen never in their life ever printed any good news. Nonsense.
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by TenKobo1: 10:14am On Oct 18, 2011
My only surprise is that there is still something remaining there. Those who inflicted Retardeen on the nation should have themselves to blame.
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by whosefault(f): 10:25am On Oct 18, 2011
our case in Nigeria is like the parable of the talent. We want to see reserve going up while thing get worse by the day. A man lost his only son trying to save money for him when he becomes a man and forgot to give the boy better medicals. The boy died in the chemist where they gave him panadol to treat heart problem.
Let the reserve deplict more so far as things are put in place.
We want to close our eyes and open them to see nigeria like new york; wake up man/woman. It will take us more twenty years to undo the wrongs and things that were left undone. Don't train your child when he/she is young and expect miracle to happen when they are old; you'll only start where you stopped and if care is not taken, it might not work, and your focus will be to guide your next generation to the right part.
Lets all do our part,
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:55am On Oct 18, 2011
These days Truth is Stranger than Fiction, I'd honestly like to believe that this story is false, but i also recall the Acting-President Saga and how $2billion for "Poverty Alleviation" was released to all State Governors - the next day, the Governor's forum did a U-turn on the matter. It is difficult to make outright claims without hard-evidence but ultimately when such evidence eventually turns out a few years afterwards, everyone seems to be unaffected either emotionally,psychologically or otherwise. it seems that past crimes are forgotten and the criminal standing before them is forgiven and as far as that goes, he is a Saint and should be given a Chance. Nigerians are fond of Risking their Future on Chance, Promises and Looks "the Guy looks innocent" mentality

The Freedom of Information Act is severely limited to what you can ask for - apparently you cannot demand for Information related to how the Government spends Public Funds on Public Projects for the Public - It is CLASSIFIED INFORMATION  wink How is that for a yansh-bite  grin
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by Gbawe: 11:14am On Oct 18, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

These days Truth is Stranger than Fiction, I'd honestly like to believe that this story is false, but i also recall the Acting-President Saga and how $2billion for "Poverty Alleviation" was released to all State Governors - the next day, the Governor's forum did a U-turn on the matter. It is difficult to make outright claims without hard-evidence but ultimately when such evidence eventually turns out a few years afterwards, everyone seems to be unaffected either emotionally,psychologically or otherwise. it seems that past crimes are forgotten and the criminal standing before them is forgiven and as far as that goes, he is a Saint and should be given a Chance. Nigerians are fond of Risking their Future on Chance, Promises and Looks "the Guy looks innocent" mentality

The Freedom of Information Act is severely limited to what you can ask for - apparently you cannot demand for Information related to how the Government spends Public Funds on Public Projects for the Public - It is CLASSIFIED INFORMATION  wink How is that for a yansh-bite  grin

My brother, you are 100% correct. There is absolutely nothing in GEJ's history to support the notion that he is up to the job of leading a very troubled nation like Nigeria and turning her fortunes around. Yet Nigerians went on to elect him based on sentiments. We should not then be surprised at what we are reading now. Afterall, Oronto Douglas , as exposed by wikileaks, revealed that GEJ was "part of the system of corruption that had impoverished the Niger Delta for decades" so why is anyone surprised at this allegations?

In any case , nothing shows that GEJ is corrupt and part of the "business as usual" culture more than the insane decision that the NNPC, mired in so much controversy over gross corruption and lack of transparency, should turn around our refineries within 24 months when the entire world expected the "transformational" President to go for transparent privatisation once and for all

http://www.peoplesdaily-online.com/news/national-news/20409-wikileaks-jonathan-was-corrupt-aide-

WikiLeaks: Jonathan was corrupt - Aide
Thursday, 08 September 2011 19:23 administrator
E-mail Print PDF

By Abubakar Imam

The herculean resolve by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission(EFCC) to absolve President Goodluck Jonathan and his family from past corruption allegations seems to be hitting the rocks as his close confidante and his former Commissioner for Information, Mr. Oronto Douglas once opened a can of worms on the president suggesting that the Commander-in-Chief is indeed not a saint.
EFCC Chairman, Mrs Farida Waziri had vehemently denied on Wednesday, that the First Lady. Dame Patience Goodluck Jonathan was investigated of any corruption allegation, describing media reports as mischievous.
"Let me state clearly that the commission will not allow itself to be used to drag innocent people's names into crimes, cases or allegations they know nothing about", she told a visiting non-governmental organisation, the Women Empowering and Enriching Lives (WEELS).
[b]However, Douglas, who was also a human rights activist had once revealed, according to a WikiLeaks report, that on December 18, 2006, just after the then Bayelsa state Governor, Goodluck Jonathan was named the Peoples Democratic Party(PDP) presidential running mate to the late President Umaru Yar'adua,  that Jonathan was well respected among Ijaw leaders for building a successful development programme in Bayelsa, and had been a good governor.
But a new WikiLeaks cable showed that surprisingly, only the day before, Mr. Douglas' true feelings about Jonathan had been different.  In a conversation with an American official, Douglas described Jonathan as "part of the system of corruption that had impoverished the Niger Delta for decades."
When asked by the American for more explanation on the   "successful development programme in Bayelsa", Douglas  said "even his development initiative is viewed with skepticism by the populace".
He said that the outstanding corruption charges against Jonathan and his wife were troubling, and that while Jonathan enjoyed the support of the "Ijaw leaders," the "restive youth" had little respect for the "so-called leaders.
"[/b]
Douglas, who is now a Senior Special Assistant to Jonathan on Strategy, Research and Documentation, disclosed how close the then Governor of Rivers state, Mr. Peter Odili, came to being named ahead of Jonathan as Yar'Adua's running mate. 
"It wasn't until Yar'Adua was at the podium and publicly announced Goodluck Jonathan to be his running mate that [Odili] realised he was not the PDP's vice- presidential candidate," the writer learned from Douglas. 
According to the story, a friend of Douglas' who had had access to Yar'adua's speech told him that Odili's name was mentioned as the running mate, but just before the convention, it was excised.
Douglas was of the view that Odili had fallen victim of an EFCC which claimed "significant malfeasance" on his part, including an instance where N60 billion was earmarked for a gas plant project that actually cost only N20 billion."
Mr. Douglas also commented on the PDP gubernatorial candidate for Bayelsa State, whom he thought would be Timi Alaibe, who was then the Executive Director of Finance for the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC).
Alaibe, Douglas asserted, would be "the worst possible choice."
When our correspondent contacted Mr. Douglas for comment, he declined to answer phone calls nor respond to a text message sent to him.
Find details in the Wikileaks cables below from the United States Consul-General.
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by sweet9ja: 11:33am On Oct 18, 2011
The other day thesame SR reported that naija is investing almost US$3B in oil refinaries in an Asian country.
Now they reporting that the naija FR has been depleted to US$3.5B.
Wow, I wonder where these subversive elements get their news from and who their pay masters are? Idiots.
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by otokx(m): 11:40am On Oct 18, 2011
This figures are staggering
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by Demdem(m): 11:41am On Oct 18, 2011
sweet9ja:

The other day thesame SR reported that naija is investing almost US$3B in oil refinaries in an Asian country.
Wow, I wonder where these subversive elements get their news from and who their pay masters are? Idiots.

Many local papers also reported it and they all got their source from the same report in Indonesia. so where are u getting at?
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by jason123: 11:45am On Oct 18, 2011
Naija, which way??!! Yet, in this same Nigeria, some people will defend this. SMH!!!
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by sweet9ja: 12:03pm On Oct 18, 2011
Demdem:

Many local papers also reported it and they all got their source from the same report in Indonesia. so where are u getting at?
I mean both reports are false. Because many local papers reported it doesn't automatically make it true.
C'mon, how can the GON plan to invest such amount of money in a foreign country and we get the news from a third hand?
Does it make any sense?
Please, let's get our fact right b/4 we cry wolf. It's all propaganda.
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by Beaf: 12:07pm On Oct 18, 2011
sweet9ja:

Don't mind them. They are a funny bunch of losers.
Sponsoring boko haram has got them nowhere, so that start sponsoring lies in the press. Just see how foolish the story that's exciting them reads (I wonder how many even bothered to read before replying).

Its sad my sister, many of our youth are a sorry waste thats easily bought cheap.
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by manchy7531: 12:15pm On Oct 18, 2011
another cock and bull story from saharareporter just to discredit Jonathan's government,

I dey laugh anyway
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by Demdem(m): 12:16pm On Oct 18, 2011
sweet9ja:

I mean both reports are false. Because many local papers reported it doesn't automatically make it true.
C'mon, how can the GON plan to invest such amount of money in a foreign country and we get the news from a third hand?
Does it make any sense?
Please, let's get our fact right b/4 we cry wolf. It's all propaganda.

well i disagree with u. Because our govt later denied it doesnt mean someone in indonesia simply didnt say it. The papers only reported what the jakarta post (a very popular and accepted newspaper in indonesia) carried. Infact, do u know that it took our government several hours to categorically come out to deny such. we should praise our dailies for this service they rendered to us.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2011/10/12/nigeria-invest-rp-24t-indonesian-refinery-deal.html

Nigeria to invest Rp 24t in Indonesian refinery deal
The Jakarta Post | Wed, 10/12/2011 2:19 PM A | A | A |
Nigeria plans to invest Rp 24 trillion (US$2.68 billion) in Indonesia to fund the construction of three oil refineries, an official says.

The Industry Ministry's director general for manufacturing-based industry, Panggah Susanto, was quoted by kompas.com as saying that both countries had agreed to build the refineries in Indonesia.

Nigeria, which produces 2.6 million barrels of oil per day (bpd), was looking for a partner to refine its crude oil, Panggah said.

"Previously they wanted the refineries to be built in Nigeria," he said Tuesday. "However, as Indonesia is currently improving its downstream industry, Indonesia wanted the refineries to be built here instead."

The refineries, which are projected to produce 300 bpd each, will be used to process crude oil from Nigeria.

"State firm PT Pertamina will buy the crude oil from Nigeria and process it here," he said.
Re: Jonathan Depletes Nigeria's Foreign Reserve By $3.5 Billion In 2011 Alone by Demdem(m): 12:17pm On Oct 18, 2011
Demdem:

Accursed, dont mind SR. they are noted for their lies. Please kindly publish the true status of Nigerian Foreign Reserve since the beginning of this year till date since you seem to be in custody of it. lets try and compare it with what SR claims it is.
ODE OSHI !!!!!!

cool cool cool cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

When Will The Igbo People Denounce Jonathan Ebele Azikiwe? / Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? / Why Linda Ikeji may end up in jail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.