Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:29 AM

Spirituality Vs Materialism. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Spirituality Vs Materialism. (562 Views)

Spirituality Vs Religion: What Is The Difference. / Does Rational Thought Debunk The Idea Naturalism/materialism? / Do You Think Materialism Is Illogical? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Spirituality Vs Materialism. by damoneymag(m): 9:54am On May 27, 2020
spirituality vs materialism

The first thing that comes to mind is this "what's the connection between spirituality and materialism". Does being spiritual lead to amassing wealth? And does amassing wealth debar one from being spiritual? Most importantly, at what point is there a confluence between the two concepts.

Let's attempt to answer the first question which is, if spirituality leads to amassing wealth. Taking a look at the wealthiest folks on earth, you'll agree with me that those guys do not even believe in the existence of any God, let alone embracing any form of spirituality(religion). I know and i am sure you know as well people who carry spirituality on their heads and are languishing in abject poverty.

On the flip side of the coin, if materialism or amassing wealth debar one from being spiritual, then wealthy folks have no business being spiritual. This will be another lie, because I'm sure you and I also know stupendously rich people who are highly spiritual as well.

Now let's talk.
What exactly is spirituality?
Man has always had the longing to believe that there is something more powerful beyond the physical senses. In an attempt to connect to this metaphysical being, man found religion. Make no mistakes about it, it really helps just knowing that there is something or some powerful being beyond our realm that we can connect to when we feel empty and in need of some kind of intervention. Believe whatever you may, but the truth is there is definitely more to this life Than meets the eye and spirituality helps us feed that believe and craving to connect to something higher than our realm.

Now there is something else known as our physical reality, which is the world we live in. This world is fitted with everything everyone needs if you can understand and apply it's principles. That explains why unspiritual people get results out of life. If all we needed to navigate through life was spirituality, God wouldn't have fitted us with a mind and a brain. So there you have it. If you must get anything out of life, you'll have to engage your mind and your brain. The mind must be fed with knowledge (information) and exercised by meditation and logical reasoning. This births insight and when put to work leads to a breakthrough which culminates into material wealth. But my overtly spiritual folks would rather do nothing and keep praying for a supernatural breakthrough.

The point of confluence.
Those that founded religion and all its laws and principle, excelled. This is because most of the laws and principles were supposed to fertilise our minds and make it more receptive to new insights which will eventually lead to material blessing. It was meant to be a catalyst and not a substitute for the use of our minds and brains.

My summation
We need both spirituality and material blessings to live a fulfilled life here in this world. One doesn't substitute for the other.
Re: Spirituality Vs Materialism. by Nobody: 9:48am On May 29, 2020
Everything is part of your spiritual life as long as you walk in obedience to God. You can be a billionaire and still be spiritual. There is no divide. The problem that should be tackled is mammon.. Where the bible says the LOVE OF MONEY is the root of all evil. Poverty is not spirituality too. You can be poor and still go to hell. Let's strike a balance.

1 Like

Re: Spirituality Vs Materialism. by damoneymag(m): 9:18pm On Jun 05, 2020
plavic:
Everything is part of your spiritual life as long as you walk in obedience to God. You can be a billionaire and still be spiritual. There is no divide. The problem that should be tackled is mammon.. Where the bible says the LOVE OF MONEY is the root of all evil. Poverty is not spirituality too. You can be poor and still go to hell. Let's strike a balance.
very true sir. thanks for sharing your thoughts.

1 Like

Re: Spirituality Vs Materialism. by Kobojunkie: 3:04am On Jun 06, 2020
plavic:
That is not true though. There is an evil that exists with not a single connection to money.
Re: Spirituality Vs Materialism. by damoneymag(m): 3:20am On Jun 06, 2020
Kobojunkie:

That is not true though. There is an evil that exists with not a single connection to money.
Evil that's not rooted in the love of money is wickedness. that's what happens when the mind is engaged in reverse mode
Re: Spirituality Vs Materialism. by Kobojunkie: 3:24am On Jun 06, 2020
damoneymag:

Evil that's not rooted in the love of money is wickedness. that's what happens when the mind is engaged in reverse mode
When evil is not rooted in the love of money, then what? That the love of money is at the root of all evil remains untrue! undecided
Re: Spirituality Vs Materialism. by Kobojunkie: 3:48am On Jun 06, 2020
damoneymag:
spirituality vs materialism
Now let's talk.
What exactly is spirituality?
Man has always had the longing to believe that there is something more powerful beyond the physical senses. In an attempt to connect to this metaphysical being, man found religion. Make no mistakes about it, it really helps just knowing that there is something or some powerful being beyond our realm that we can connect to when we feel empty and in need of some kind of intervention. Believe whatever you may, but the truth is there is definitely more to this life Than meets the eye and spirituality helps us feed that believe and craving to connect to something higher than our realm.
So does spirituality simply refer to the desire/need, sometimes from time to time, for divine intervention of sorts? undecided
Re: Spirituality Vs Materialism. by damoneymag(m): 7:59am On Jun 06, 2020
Kobojunkie:

So does spirituality simply refer to the desire/need, sometimes from time to time, for divine intervention of sorts? undecided
spirituality is the satisfaction of that deep sitted believe and longing to connect to something higher than our realm. may be a God
Re: Spirituality Vs Materialism. by hoopernikao: 9:59am On Jun 06, 2020
plavic:

[b]Everything is part of your spiritual life [/b]as long as you walk in obedience to God. You can be a billionaire and still be spiritual. There is no divide. The problem that should be tackled is mammon.. Where the bible says the LOVE OF MONEY is the root of all evil. Poverty is not spirituality too. You can be poor and still go to hell. Let's strike a balance.

Can you please shed light on the bold.
Re: Spirituality Vs Materialism. by Kobojunkie: 1:04am On Jun 07, 2020
damoneymag:

We need both spirituality and material blessings to live a fulfilled life here in this world. One doesn't substitute for the other.
So on materialism, how do you explain the case of Jesus, his disciples, and even the early believers of the time, who went in knowing that there were likely no material blessings, but instead suffering for them in this world? undecided
Re: Spirituality Vs Materialism. by Nobody: 1:37am On Jun 08, 2020
hoopernikao:

Can you please shed light on the bold.

People often separate their fnances from their spirtual life, or parenting from spiritual life or career from 'spiritual life'.

Spiritual life is the kind of life that is governed by the Holy Spirit. So if the Holy Spirit is in charge of your academics for example, it is part of your spiritual life. So in the context of the topic, if your wealth is under the governance of the Holy Spirit, your finances is part of your spiritual life.

In the kingdom of God, we are not permitted t own things. That is why anything that you get attached to, God starts demanding for it. He might tell you to sow it out.

But the spirit of mammon is the love of money. Those under the control of such spirits are too attached to money, money becomes their god. Yes, money is a god. So, for such people, they are walking under the control of a spirit that is not of God.

What do you think makes people sacrifice their beloved family members for wealth or fame? it is the influence of this demonic spirit called mammon.

So, wealth is good. But we must die to the love of money.

This country is still this way because the politicians are under the control of money.

I'm sorry I'm sharing this here but I once had a dream where i was shown two churches. One pastor had good members and was wealthy. He was teaching well.. Another pastor was also teaching well but had not much of financial endowments and few members..

All of a sudden, the seconf pastor changed His topic and started to preach exclusively on money..
He deviated from the path.

See, the love of money will lead many to hell but this is not taught. Yes, God promised us the nations.. There is a prophecy of wealtj transfer hanging on the church.. But you see, the devil is deceptive.. That same prophecy will be twisted by demonic ideologies.

God doesn't put down his standards for anybody. Deception is a great sin to both the deciever and the decieved.. Lucifer decieved the angels, and they were all punished. The serpent decieved adam and eve and they were all punished. Deception is not an excuse.

In summary, money is just a tool. For what? Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is heaven.. The tool is to propagate the gospel.
Re: Spirituality Vs Materialism. by Kobojunkie: 6:52pm On Jun 08, 2020
plavic:
I'm sorry I'm sharing this here but I once had a dream where i was shown two churches. One pastor had good members and was wealthy. He was teaching well.. Another pastor was also teaching well but had not much of financial endowments and few members..
All of a sudden, the seconf pastor changed His topic and started to preach exclusively on money..
He deviated from the path.
See, the love of money will lead many to hell but this is not taught. Yes, God promised us the nations.. There is a prophecy of wealtj transfer hanging on the church.. But you see, the devil is deceptive.. That same prophecy will be twisted by demonic ideologies.
God doesn't put down his standards for anybody.
What were the pastors "teaching" them? Whatever they must have been teaching had nothing to do with Jesus Christ since Jesus commanded his disciples not to become teachers or be called teachers or instructors in anywise.

Matthew 23 vs 8-12
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8. But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all brothers.[c]
9. And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven.
10. Neither be called instructors, for you have one instructor, the Christ.
11. The greatest among you shall be your servant.
12. Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.
Jesus has called no one to TEACH anyone.
plavic:
Deception is a great sin to both the deciever and the decieved.. Lucifer decieved the angels, and they were all punished. The serpent decieved adam and eve and they were all punished. Deception is not an excuse.
How can lucifer deceive anyone when Lucifer is a fictional character? Satan, on the other hand, cannot deceive the Angels of God.

Go then, preach the good news about the Kingdom of Heaven. Do not lay down any rule beyond what I determined for you, nor promulgate law like the lawgiver, or else you might be dominated by it."
Re: Spirituality Vs Materialism. by Nobody: 9:46am On Jun 10, 2020
Kobojunkie:

What were the pastors "teaching" them? Whatever they must have been teaching had nothing to do with Jesus Christ since Jesus commanded his disciples not to become teachers or be called teachers or instructors in anywise.

Jesus has called no one to TEACH anyone.

How can lucifer deceive anyone when Lucifer is a fictional character? Satan, on the other hand, cannot deceive the Angels of God.

Go then, preach the good news about the Kingdom of Heaven. Do not lay down any rule beyond what I determined for you, nor promulgate law like the lawgiver, or else you might be dominated by it."

Why did you go to school to listen to a TEACHER? Who taught you the english you are using now to reply?

JESUS was speaking about the pharises in that scripture who were largely hippocrites. Go and study the scripture.

People love to argue about scripture that has not transformed them. Life is not about that scripture you memorised if it has not translated to life for you.

Please humble yourself to learn. I also learn everyday. When you feel the temptation to argue, sit down, and take a deep thought about it. Because spirits don't care what you know if it has not become your reality, they will still legally torment you for it ontop.

If you knew the scriptures, you won't say Satan never decieved the angels.

Please, we are not fighting but I implore you to go and study the word of God. Ask God to teach you. I am also trustinf God for help.. But if pride leads you, the destination is a fall.
Re: Spirituality Vs Materialism. by Kobojunkie: 2:55pm On Jun 10, 2020
plavic:
Why did you go to school to listen to a TEACHER? Who taught you the english you are using now to reply?
JESUS was speaking about the pharises in that scripture who were largely hippocrites. Go and study the scripture.
People love to argue about scripture that has not transformed them. Life is not about that scripture you memorised if it has not translated to life for you.
You have a teacher, who commands you to be sure that He and He alone be your own teacher, yet you suggest that your teacher is not competent enough to be believed by your refusal to obey His command? undecided undecided
Are you saying Jesus Christ lied? The Word of the Living God, who is meant to have infinite Wisdom and Knowledge, lied? undecided
Because He was quite specific in his command that His disciples never call themselves Teachers/Instructors, or Rabbis to anyone. How can Jesus Christ, the Word of God, be said to be the Truth, the way and the Life, if we cannot even trust the very words He spoke? undecidedHow can we even obey Him when we don't believe Him competent to ensure His message remains just as valid as it was when He spoke it? undecided

Matthew 23 vs 8-12
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8. But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all brothers.[c]
9. And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven.
10. Neither be called instructors, for you have one instructor, the Christ.
11. The greatest among you shall be your servant.
12. Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.
Look at that! He clearly says none of His disciples is to be called a Rabbi, teacher, for you are all brothers. And He tells His followers that they have only one instructor, Himself, but instead many of you refuse his tutelage so you can follow your "men of god' blindly, in much the same way many Israelites followed the Pharisees/Sadducees/Teachers of the Law blindly even before the day of Jesus. ***SMH*** undecided undecided
Take a look at His promise to send a Helper, He clearly tells you that the Helper He will send will teach us ALL things(not some things).

Matthew 23 vs 8-12
8. “I have told you these things while I am still with you.
8. But the [d]Helper (Comforter, Advocate, Intercessor—Counselor, Strengthener, Standby), the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name [in My place, to represent Me and act on My behalf], He will teach you all things. And He will help you remember everything that I have told you.
What many of you don't even realize, in denying Him, is that the Helper(the one who is the Seal of the New Covenant that is Jesus Christ) is in fact God, the Father Himself, yes, the very one that you claim to worship, is the one who is to live inside of you, and make you holy enough to enter His Kingdom. undecided undecided undecided
plavic:
Please humble yourself to learn. I also learn everyday. When you feel the temptation to argue, sit down, and take a deep thought about it. Because spirits don't care what you know if it has not become your reality, they will still legally torment you for it ontop.
I should humble myself("Christian" speak for I want you to begin to think as I do) and learn from someone who lives in disobedience of the very one who he claims to be his messiah? God Forbid!
What spirits are you talking about? What spirit can be greater than the very Spirit of God that lives inside of each and everyone who believes in God? If God Himself, the very one who controls every spirit on the planet, including my own, lives on the inside of me, why should I worry or care about any other spirit or thing as many of you choose to ramble on about?
Did Jesus Christ tell you that if you live in obedience to Him, you will still have these spirits to worry yourselves about? undecided
plavic:
If you knew the scriptures, you won't say Satan never decieved the angels.
I don't know the scripture? Then why don't you show me exactly where you learn that Satan did in fact deceive the angels? I want to see this. undecided undecided
plavic:
Please, we are not fighting but I implore you to go and study the word of God. Ask God to teach you. I am also trustinf God for help.. But if pride leads you, the destination is a fall.
Jesus is the word of God. If you do not even believe the very words that Jesus Christ, the one whom you suppose saved you, what then do you think you know of the word of God? undecided
Re: Spirituality Vs Materialism. by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jun 10, 2020
Kobojunkie:

You have a teacher, who commands you to be sure that He and He alone be your own teacher, yet you suggest that your teacher is not competent enough to be believed by your refusal to obey His command? undecided undecided
Are you saying Jesus Christ lied? The Word of the Living God, who is meant to have infinite Wisdom and Knowledge, lied? undecided
Because He was quite specific in his command that His disciples never call themselves Teachers/Instructors, or Rabbis to anyone. How can Jesus Christ, the Word of God, be said to be the Truth, the way and the Life, if we cannot even trust the very words He spoke? undecidedHow can we even obey Him when we don't believe Him competent to ensure His message remains just as valid as it was when He spoke it? undecided

Look at that! He clearly says none of His disciples is to be called a Rabbi, teacher, for you are all brothers. And He tells His followers that they have only one instructor, Himself, but instead many of you refuse his tutelage so you can follow your "men of god' blindly, in much the same way many Israelites followed the Pharisees/Sadducees/Teachers of the Law blindly even before the day of Jesus. ***SMH*** undecided undecided
Take a look at His promise to send a Helper, He clearly tells you that the Helper He will send will teach us ALL things(not some things).

What many of you don't even realize, in denying Him, is that the Helper(the one who is the Seal of the New Covenant that is Jesus Christ) is in fact God, the Father Himself, yes, the very one that you claim to worship, is the one who is to live inside of you, and make you holy enough to enter His Kingdom. undecided undecided undecided
I should humble myself("Christian" speak for I want you to begin to think as I do) and learn from someone who lives in disobedience of the very one who he claims to be his messiah? God Forbid!
What spirits are you talking about? What spirit can be greater than the very Spirit of God that lives inside of each and everyone who believes in God? If God Himself, the very one who controls every spirit on the planet, including my own, lives on the inside of me, why should I worry or care about any other spirit or thing as many of you choose to ramble on about?
Did Jesus Christ tell you that if you live in obedience to Him, you will still have these spirits to worry yourselves about? undecided
I don't know the scripture? Then why don't you show me exactly where you learn that Satan did in fact deceive the angels? I want to see this. undecided undecided
Jesus is the word of God. If you do not even believe the very words that Jesus Christ, the one whom you suppose saved you, what then do you think you know of the word of God? undecided
Okay
Re: Spirituality Vs Materialism. by Kobojunkie: 6:54pm On Jun 10, 2020
plavic:
Okay
Learn from Jesus Christ, your one and only Teacher, not from men who you will never really know if and when they make it into the kingdom of Heaven.
Did you know that one of the first things to happen when you become Born again is the Host of Heaven, blesses you, and welcomes you into the Kingdom of Heaven? Jesus welcomed His disciples into His Kingdom before His death on earth...How many of your men-0f-god/teachers know of this or are sure that their soul is signed for heaven? Ask them?

(1) (Reply)

My Experience With A Dead Relative / Abortion—Is the Bible Ambiguous? / Mouth Odor Solved From The Bible - Emoji Devotions 12 November, 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.