Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,019 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:12 PM

Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried (28849 Views)

Bus Catches Fire On Niger Bridge / Motorists Spend Their Night On Ikoyi Road In Lagos For Violating Curfew / Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by Islie: 1:42pm On May 27, 2020
....Urge FG to speed up 2nd Niger Bridge completion

Motorists plying the Niger- Bridge on Tuesday raised the alarm over the vibrations of the bridge even as the lockdown order by the federal government persists.

The commercial vehicle operators including private car owners plying the Onitsha bridge head, who spoke to our correspondent, said that the vibration of the bridge clearly shows that the situation may portend grave danger if steps are not taken to ensure that the situation returns to normal.

They also called on the federal government to expedite action towards the completion of the Second Niger Bridge to avoid major traffic congestion, adding that despite the lockdown order, the current situation had poses serious threat to the lives of those driving on the bridge.

According to the drivers, the bridge was currently vibrating due to the weight of heavy duty vehicles and other vehicles trapped on the bridge, warning that if nothing is done to ensure the completion of the Second Niger-Bridge, the bridge may some day collapse.

A driver, Francis Ikechukwu said that ” the bridge is weak due to the heavy traffic over the years and if nothing is done, it may collapse.

“There is always hold up on the bridge head and with many heavy duty trucks conveying goods, the situation may also lead to loss of lives and property. The bridge is vibrating each time vehicles drive on it and it is becomes disturbing.”

A civil servant in Anambra state, who spoke to our correspondent on condition of anonymity, described the bridge as a ticking time bomb waiting to explode.

He said: “Do you know that the Niger Bridge is vibrating now? If you are caught in traffic on the bridge, you will notice your car vibrating. The bridge is completely weak and can no longer withstand the pressure from vehicles.

“I go to Onitsha every day except this lockdown period for my work from Asaba, so I don’t know what will happen to the bridge if the vibration persist and there is no response.”

Mr. Philip Okafor, a commercial bus driver running the Asaba to Onitsha route, said: “The federal government should fast-track the construction of the Second Niger Bridge.

“In fact, each time I drive on the bridge, I will be praying hard inside me; the situation is terribly a bad omen. If nothing is done, it will spell doom one day.

“The bridge is vibrating now, it means it is very weak and cannot survive another test of time, hence the federal government should do something about it very urgently.”

Officials of the Federal Ministry of Works in Asaba, who spoke to our correspondent on condition of anonymity, described the situation of the bridge as pathetic.

“The bridge is vibrating now and it is receiving the attention it needs. We are working seriously on it and we cannot speak further on the situation,” they stated.

https://dailytimes.ng/motorists-worry-over-vibration-on-niger-bridge/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by Ofemmanu1: 1:43pm On May 27, 2020
Egungun becareful..

21 Likes

Re: Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by NwaNimo1(m): 1:49pm On May 27, 2020
hmmm...

1 Like

Re: Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by illicit(m): 1:51pm On May 27, 2020
It's on silent mode now....
Govt will wait until e enter General....

100 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by Millenniumlady(f): 1:54pm On May 27, 2020
Buhari won't act now oooo

4 Likes

Re: Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by money121(m): 1:57pm On May 27, 2020
Ok
Re: Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by Nobody: 1:58pm On May 27, 2020
Re: Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by hammerpP: 1:58pm On May 27, 2020
THE BRIDGE IS SUPER OLD.

HURRIEDLY REPAIRED AFTER BIAFRA WAR.

IT IS A MIRACLE, E NEVER FALL TILL NOW.

46 Likes

Re: Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by mamaafrik(m): 1:58pm On May 27, 2020
Test,test asap
Re: Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by Happyguy201: 1:58pm On May 27, 2020
Government needs to act now .
Re: Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by emmabest2000(m): 1:59pm On May 27, 2020
Those shouting that government should act fast
don't know how many times that Niger Bridge has been re-patched, re-constructed , rebuilt and re-amended grin

The bridge is weak already and the only solution that will help that bridge to stay more longer is by doing fast work on the second abandoned Niger Bridge, if not ......

It will end in tears one day lipsrsealed

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by Gten(m): 1:59pm On May 27, 2020
Government should look into this complaint as soon as possible to forestall disaster. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by Lorlahlizzy(f): 1:59pm On May 27, 2020
Ah
Federal Govt should do something about this o,but we know them they won't talk now till the bridge finally collapse [color=#006600][/color]
Re: Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by leicestercamper: 2:00pm On May 27, 2020
FG should hasten work on Onitsha 2nd Niger bridge

1 Like

Re: Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by NwaEnugwuukwu(m): 2:00pm On May 27, 2020
The bridge is very weak, so the vibration is expected because of the heavy traffic as a result entry points check from both sides.

3 Likes

Re: Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by AmazingMOG: 2:00pm On May 27, 2020
Too bad
Re: Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by Evilgenuis: 2:00pm On May 27, 2020
Waiting for the day the inevitable will happen grin

2 Likes

Re: Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by Goldenheart(m): 2:00pm On May 27, 2020
tongue

1 Like

Re: Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by iCauseTrouble: 2:00pm On May 27, 2020
It's not only Niger Bridge that is vibrating, the whole country is vibrating

80 Likes

Re: Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by Nobody: 2:01pm On May 27, 2020
FG should tackle this as a matter of urgency

I'm still buying Fu iPhone 7 plus
Re: Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by incogni2o: 2:01pm On May 27, 2020
na real egungun be careful.

May this not be another addition to the list of tragic events.

I hope the Government will take immediate action to avert impending tragedy.

nawao, if not for God ehn, one become overwhelmed.

1 Like

Re: Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by PlainJoe: 2:01pm On May 27, 2020
embarassed cool
Re: Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by Iolo(m): 2:01pm On May 27, 2020
Surprised how a journalist interviews random civilians who then make a pronouncement on an area they aren’t experts in.

Whilst the bridge may be old or weak as alluded, It is completely normal for a Bridge to vibrate when you stand on them...you will feel this slightly.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by EternalYouth(m): 2:01pm On May 27, 2020
There are two vacancy for farmworkers in a farm in Ibadan. Free accommodation is available. Interesting person can contact:
08076231337(whatsapp)
07089145453(Call)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by Nobody: 2:02pm On May 27, 2020
Buhari is playing politics with the 2nd bridge until the inevitable happens and lives are lost.

Tell me any place colonial bridge is still in use.

2 Likes

Re: Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by CsRockefeller(m): 2:02pm On May 27, 2020
What then happens when the 3rd mainland bridge expires?

Someone should pls explain to me, how do those pillars stand in water bodies?

I pass through the The 1st, 2nd and 3rd mainland bridges everyday and I keep on wondering how possible it is that those pillars were built inside the water.

By the way, the first mainland bridge was constructed before the Niger bridge and it's still solid, does it mean the Niger Bridge wasn't done properly?

Finally, Julius Berger keep on marveling me, those guys are geniuses, their construction everywhere, especially bridges are superb, even the Chinese are still far behind, look at the rubbish they are building at Constain or what they built at Ikorodu road, overrated proud folks in construction.

16 Likes

Re: Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by Mindlog: 2:02pm On May 27, 2020
Repairs should be done immediately.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by hammerpP: 2:02pm On May 27, 2020
AmazingMOG:
Let ipob repair it. Because the wicked north and afonjas won’t do it

WEN IT COLLAPSE KILL PEOPLE, U PEOPLE WILL BUILD BRAND NEW ONE THERE. grin grin cheesy

WE KNOW HOW TO GET U, EVENTUALLY.

1 Like

Re: Vibration On Niger Bridge: Motorists Worried by laosy(m): 2:03pm On May 27, 2020
Our president is shy and deaf, he's too shy to sign for the repair of the bridge because of the people that will be present while signing. angry

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Woman Forgets Her Baby Boy In A Commercial Bus In Imo / President Buhari Orders Repatriation Of Nigerians Stranded In Russia / Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.