Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,644 members, 7,816,651 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:35 PM

Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? (28503 Views)

Bad Roads Vs Good Roads: Which Is Responsible For Accidents? / Breath-Taking Aerial View Of Roads In Abuja - Photos / Pictures Of EPE, LAGOS Roads At Night (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Biodun556(m): 1:47pm On Mar 31
One is disadvantage I notice about concrete road is that price of cement has gone up.

I don't see how concrete is better than asphalt

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Biodun556(m): 1:47pm On Mar 31

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by kenny714433(m): 2:11pm On Mar 31
Rigid pavement is way better

Although both have their own failures but the advantages of rigid pavement are quite enormous. It's expensive than flexible pavement in construction also.

PointZerom:

You're neither here nor there.

Either you lack comprehension abilities or you just login Nairaland and log off your brain.
Jeezuzpick:

I can tell you a few reasons why I disagree with you.

You sound like a construction professional, so I will make free with the terminology.

One major advantage of flexible pavements is ease of maintenance.

You can get easily cut out potholes and fill with fresh asphalt, while you get problems with bonding and shrinkage in the case of concrete roads.

Super elevation of roads, where vertical curves are merged with horizontal curves, is handled better during construction with flexible pavements, because the sub-base and road base already have the geometry and you just lay the base and wearing courses to follow suit.

Concrete pavers tend to lay pavement in flat planes, so vertical transition can be a problem. Result? Bumpy ride around curves.

In Africa where we have intense heat in the day and relatively cool nights, thermal expansion is also a problem, especially when you consider the expansion differential between concrete and the reinforcing steel bars. Result? Some hideous cracks with sharp, jagged edges that can fuckup your tyres.

I say Asphaltic roads are waaay better from cost to operation and maintenance.

I am shocked you disagree with me 😅
I am not shocked because you disagree, I am shocked because from your reply, you have intensive knowledge of what I said and should know better.

I agree with all what you have said, they are the disadvantages of rigid pavement. But don't also forget flexible pavement has it's own numerous disadvantages.

If we look at lifespan, rigid pavement has over 50 years while flexible has like 30 years if both are constructed properly.

Rigid pavement has greater load bearing capacity. It's always a better option compared to flexible pavement regardless of it's disadvantages.

Nevertheless, your response shows we still have intelligent people who can hold discourse. Others just quoted me to show how dumb they are.

30 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Eleporobi: 2:20pm On Mar 31
Concrete is a stronger material and can withstand heavier loads and harsher weather conditions.

It also does not soften in high temperatures like asphalt can, which can lead to cracks and potholes. However, if repairs are needed, they can be more expensive and time-consuming for concrete roads.

115 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by flokii: 2:26pm On Mar 31
Concrete roads will last longer because of the iron rods embedded but asphalt ones are also good in terms of cost effectiveness. The only issue now is that quack engineers have made asphalt road works undesirable due to their shoddy and sub-standard jobs with pot holes visible within few months.

74 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by sirblend: 3:35pm On Mar 31
Any one Tinubu do for us we will take it..

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by richidinho(m): 3:35pm On Mar 31
Ask Umahi

13 Likes

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Praying4Nigeria: 3:35pm On Mar 31
raslim20:
Concrete is good in water log area, which will last longer than asphalt
Very true.

In another News, GOD of Abraham that is CREATOR of Humanity and HE still answers Prayers of both Christians and Muslims that are pure in mind and action. Khadija(Arab Woman that became Prosperous through Business with Romans) start through Mohamed (Quran confirm they later married). So, Christians and Muslims have no reason to be fighting but to both search for the the Real hidden Truth. That is why so much similarity such as Rosary Praying, Scriptural similarities, Hijab covering of head which Roman Catholic started long before Islam, etc.
Also because the Quran dedicates an entire chapter to Mary - it is said by many that the same Roman Catholic Empire that worships the bisexual godess Queen of Heaven called Diana also know as Artemis READ (Acts 19:24-35) created Islam. Quran refers to "People of the Book" which proves that Christians existed earlier.

Sincerely Prayerfully Search for CREATOR of Humanity and HE would Reveal HIMSELF to you in TRUTH and in SPIRIT. Religion can not make any humanbeing to enter Heaven, only Complete Truth has that Capacity. Like if you Agree. Both Christians and Muslims should Copy and paste this link of the ONLY Site that Exposed all the Hidden Truth into Browser: AhayaSha.Blog spot.com/2023/11/the-true-original-hebrew-name-of-jesus.html?m=1
You have to remove the space between Blog and Spot after pasting into your Browser to enter the BlogSite above that Exposed all the hidden Truth.

Other references:
https://www.religiousforums.com/threads/catholic-church-created-islam.213566/

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Khadijah

8 Likes

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Bonaventura(m): 3:35pm On Mar 31
Asphalt is cheaper and better to maintain

2 Likes

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by richiemcgold: 3:35pm On Mar 31

In a nutshell, concrete is better, asphalt is cheaper.

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by zed7: 3:36pm On Mar 31
Concrete will crack with time. I still prefer asphalt , and it's better to maintain.

1 Like

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by ideatoprince18(m): 3:36pm On Mar 31
Concrete roads are the best!!!

8 Likes

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Bunnatex(m): 3:36pm On Mar 31
I prefer Asphalt as it's smoother for the car to run on.

But then I'm just thinking, can't both work out? Like to a concrete road and then smoothen it with Asphalt.

NB: This is just an Accountant asking, I'm not an expert in Engineering...

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by KingAzubuike(f): 3:36pm On Mar 31
Wood
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Sunnycliff(m): 3:36pm On Mar 31
Concrete, any day and time. Especially in Nigeria climate

1 Like

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by raslim20(m): 3:36pm On Mar 31
Concrete is good in water log area, which will last longer than asphalt

7 Likes

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by obaidan: 3:37pm On Mar 31
better in terms of what..cost, maintennce, durability?
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by eepeepook: 3:37pm On Mar 31
Stop asking stupid questions.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by adioolayi(m): 3:38pm On Mar 31
Well, with what I have seen and experienced with concrete roads on Apapa-Oshodi Expressway (Iyana Oworo to Apapa)...I will go for concrete...

Since that road was completed, no portion of the road have any form of irregularities, bend, or what have you.

Lagos-Ibadan Expressway that is constructed with asphalt...some portions of that road is already having some sort of uneven surfaces, bendings and won't be long before we start seeing potholes.

53 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by histemple: 3:38pm On Mar 31
I prefer asphalt.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by DamnnNiggarr: 3:38pm On Mar 31
shocked

Combination of both.

I.e use concrete in place of laterite, then, apply asphalt layer.

9 Likes

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by GreatOchuks: 3:39pm On Mar 31
I prefer Glass

1 Like

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by PointZerom: 3:39pm On Mar 31
kenny714433:
Rigid pavement is way better

Although both have their own failures but the advantages of rigid pavement are quite enormous. It's expensive than flexible pavement in construction also.

You're neither here nor there.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by MrProlific95: 3:39pm On Mar 31
Let the Engineers speak. We have a housing deficit, why waste money for increasing cement because of Umahi and his concrete road rave

2 Likes

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Caramia2020(m): 3:39pm On Mar 31
Asphalt is preferable to me
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by orikoku: 3:39pm On Mar 31
Concrete any day any time.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by linkers: 3:39pm On Mar 31
It is an eyesore with ones the deceptive umahi did for us in Ebonyi

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 3:39pm On Mar 31
Concrete is a stronger material and can withstand heavier loads and harsher weather conditions.
It also does not soften in high temperatures like asphalt can, which can lead to cracks and potholes.
However, if repairs are needed, they can be more expensive and time-consuming for concrete roads.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Rikze: 3:40pm On Mar 31
shocked

It depends on the mixture of the concrete. Some of the ones I see here in BY is a mess. Otherwise, concrete, I think is better.

1 Like

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by trulymatters(m): 3:42pm On Mar 31
Reinforced concrete roads are better and more durable than asphalt. They are also very workable in terms of making additional features to the pavement, without tearing down large sections. With the help of mechanised power tools, a failed section can be upgraded in a short time.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Federal Government Evacuates 542 Stranded Nigerians From UAE (Photos) / My Street In Canada After 6am heavy Snowfall / Nigerians In Ireland,how are you Coping With The Recession And The Eu Bailout?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.