Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,200 members, 7,829,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

Akin Adesina: Atiku Abubakar rallies support for AfdB President - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akin Adesina: Atiku Abubakar rallies support for AfdB President (32051 Views)

Akin Adesina Rejects ₦100 Million APC Presidential Nomination Forms / Adesina: Atiku Was Part Of Nigeria's Rot, He Lacks Right To Criticise Buhari / Nigerians Suggest Akin Adesina Should Run For President After Pics With Trump (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Akin Adesina: Atiku Abubakar rallies support for AfdB President by ehiski: 3:02am On May 29, 2020
Racoon:
Good! OBJ, Atiku, Aruma Oteh.Let the support keep coming but keeping in view no blemish on the side of Adeshina.All for one, one for all.

All these names are all corruption personified,
If I were Akinwumi Adesina I will prove my innocence by providing evidence that all allegations are false. There is nothing like one for all and all for one.
Ownership of corruption and corrupt individuals is what is giving corruption in Africa the oxygen to breath.
I am not in anyway insinuating that Adesina is corrupt but let him defend himself.
Re: Akin Adesina: Atiku Abubakar rallies support for AfdB President by Intrepid01(m): 3:16am On May 29, 2020
BafanaBafana:
Atiku still wants to run for president no doubt.

To the matter at hand, the allegations against this man are weighty. While we should stand up against interference from foreigners, it is wrong to support someone just because he is your compatriot or kinsman even when he fvcked up.
As it is, Africa is not mature enough to conduct a probe in their own matters. Is it not the same Africa that a "big man" can only be sent to jail if the government in power is against him?
A call for an independent probe is in order. If he is innocent of allegations leveled against him, he has absolutely nothing to fear. It is howeve a big shame for the country if the allegations are true.

I don talk my own

Please get a good understanding of the issue before you draw assumptions.
There was an allegation, Yes. But the board of the AFDB group upon getting the report of the whistle-blower investigated and came out with a report that the allegation was unfounded.

The African leaders that are defending him are saying that it is wrong to discredit the ethics committee of the board of the bank, a committee that consist of representatives of all stakeholders in the bank, including 7 foreign nations. The bank is an institution with laid down procedure, US is trying to rubbish the existing system within the bank and that is exactly what African leaders are standing against , hence the rise in Adesina’s defense. Meanwhile all the allegations and dissatisfaction in the outcome of the investigation became an issue when he indicated interest in running for the second term, as it stands, all African leaders decided to support his reelection based on his performance and hence didn’t field any candidate from their countries, meanwhile, IMF has been complaining about the policies of giving out loan by AFDB, to them the conditions for the loan are not stringent enough, you know to them conditions has to be killing before it can be good.
Re: Akin Adesina: Atiku Abubakar rallies support for AfdB President by kalu61(m): 4:05am On May 29, 2020
Asadujames202:
Adesina submits your self for a thorough and most trusted, unbiased re-investigation.

No one sets an exam for himself and comes out flat, sounds absurd.

With the overwhelming corruption going on in Africa
Why should any reasonable person trust an outcome of an internal audit?

If not for an independent audit, the Lily-white self-styled incorruptible Swiss seff blatter would have still been running FIFA
See reasoning. And you forget that his page was opened because US couldn't get host of bided world cup.
Re: Akin Adesina: Atiku Abubakar rallies support for AfdB President by kalu61(m): 4:27am On May 29, 2020
anonymous1759:

That's a typo error. Leave my error and get the message.

If the west are not corrupt they wouldn't accept stolen funds at first. They accept the funds and create laws to make the money stay in their economy.

Amongst all the countries America and their allies are the worst. They create chaos to destabilize countries to steal oil and sell weapons. They derive riches from blood.

If you study international politics you ought to know what happened in Libya, Syria, Afghanistan, Venezuela, Bolivia etc are all western plot to take control you know nothing. You think everything is black and white.

When has travelling become a crime? So because Nigerians travel there for greener pasture we can't criticise them anymore? Are America companies not in Nigeria? It's because of people like you and our Leaders the west see us as nothing because of Visa and medical trips abroad you sell your birth right.

I don't blame you but the leaders who sold us out. What happened in Libya might re occur in Nigeria that's how it starts. Adesina is smart and they hate intelligent people who don't dance to their tone. I'm waiting for them to give okonjo Iweala to head an Agency if she refuses to dance to thier tune same fate will befall her maybe that's when you'll realize their Blame Game. no one is ever good in the eyes of the west if you don't dance to thier tune.
You deserved a hand shake, some folks thinks international politics is about moral ethics
Re: Akin Adesina: Atiku Abubakar rallies support for AfdB President by middlebelter(m): 4:52am On May 29, 2020
Racoon:
Good! OBJ, Atiku, Aruma Oteh.Let the support keep coming but keeping in view no blemish on the side of Adeshina.All for one, one for all.

Akinwumi Adesina, the President of the African Development Bank (AfDB), has responded (dated April 8, 2020) to the allegations against him courtesy of Premium Times. Read below…

Allegation No. 1

Not provided

Allegation No. 2: Appointment of Mrs Chinelo ANOHU-AMAZU

ADESINA: Ms Chinelo Anohu-AMAZU was recruited through a globally advertised, open and competitive recruitment process. The search process was carried out by a top notch external recruitment firm, Russell Reynolds of the UK. She was one of two top candidates (both women) recommended to me as President to consider for appointment by the panel. But, I can state categorically that the allegations made against her are untrue and defamatory.

Allegation No 3: Appointment and promotions of Martin FREGENE

ADESINA: Mr Fregene is NOT my brother-in-law. There is no evidence he is. Second, Mr Fregene is a world-class geneticist, internationally renowned for his work on plant genetics of cassava, and who worked earlier at CIAT, Colombia, one of the CGIAR centres, and subsequently as Director at the Danforth Plant Science Centre (probably the second largest private agricultural research centres in the United States).
He returned from the diaspora to Nigeria to work as Chief Technical Advisor when I was Minister of Agriculture in Nigeria. He was hired as a consultant by the Bank Vice President for Agriculture, Human and Social Development, Jennifer Blake, to support her in the development of the Bank’s Feed Africa strategy. I approved the recommended hire which was entirely within my power to do.

Allegation No. 4: Mismanagement of the TAAT programme

ADESINA: Allegations against me concerning the TAAT are belied by objective and solid facts demonstrating no violation by me of the Code of Conduct.

TAAT is an initiative of the Bank developed to help take agricultural technologies to the scale of millions of farmers across Africa.

Although some staff made some mistakes in the procurement process, this is being investigated by the Bank and no findings have been made yet. There was no impropriety.

The president does not get involved in contractual issues in the Bank, except in cases involving matters that may affect the image, reputation and interests of the Bank.

Allegation No. 5: Appointments and promotions of Mrs Maria MULUNDI

ADESINA: Ms Maria Mulindi worked with me prior to joining the Bank. She was part of my transition management team as I prepared to take office at the Bank following my election as President, and she very ably led all engagements with the Bank with my transition team. All Presidents of the Bank are allowed to bring in and appoint their own Chief of Staff and advisers, to help them to implement their mandate.
Allegation No 6: Direct contracting and appointment of Victor OLADOKUN

ADESINA: We went to the university together and have been very close friends since then. There is nothing in the Bank rules that says that being a friend of anyone in the Bank who gets recruited at the Bank is against Bank rules.

Allegation No. 7: Contracting of Kapil KAPOOR

ADESINA: The African Development Bank, under my chairmanship of the Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs) Heads, was tasked to help further develop my proposal to the group on how we can work collectively to leverage global institutional investors to invest in infrastructure and other sectors.

Kapil Kapoor, who was previously the Director of Strategy and Policies of the Bank, prior to his appointment as the Director General for Southern Africa, had been leading this work working closely with all other MDBs.

Kapil was essentially doing this work on top of his regular work as Director General. He retired from the Bank at the end of August 2019.

Allegation No. 8: Appointment of Emmanuel EZINWA:

ADESINA: The allegation that “A Nigerian, Mr EZINWA was found guilty of sexually harassing a colleague during his probation period; and despite his misconduct, (I) requested that Mr. EZINWA’s contract be confirmed, thus forcing the HR Director, Mrs Frauke HARNISCHFEGER resign is false.

The truth is that I do not know Mr EZINWA and have never met him in the Bank. The President does not get involved in any staff appraisals except for Vice Presidents and direct reports.

The then HR Director, Mr. David Ssegawa, evaluated the staff and there was nothing about sexual harassment.

Mrs Frauke HARNISCHFEGER was not the HR Director in 2018. The HR Director in 2018 was Mr David Ssegawa, who evaluated the staff and recommended the staff, as per the standard procedures of the Bank, to the President. Ms HARNISCHFEGER joined the Bank in 2019, one year after a confirmation recommendation made by the predecessor HR Director.

Allegation No 9: Preferential treatment for Nigeria and Nigerians

ADESINA: I did not introduce an organisational chart with a Nigeria Country Directorate. The decision to open a Nigeria Country Directorate was taken by the Board of Directors under my predecessor, the former President of the Bank, Donald Kaberuka.

Allegation No 10: Awards received by the President and costs borne by the Bank

ADESINA: I received the World Food Prize ($250,000) and the Sunhak Peace Prize ($500,000) in recognition of a life of accomplishments in the field of agriculture. Although they were individual prizes, they brought great credit and prestige to the AfDB.

I brought further credit to myself and the Bank by donating these two cash awards for the establishment of the World Hunger Fighters Foundation, a foundation that has garnered contributions from others and now funds the Borlaug Adesina Fellows Fellowship for young African Agribusiness Innovators.

The expenses of the World Food Prize event, including musical entertainment (musical groups from Nigeria and the Glee Club from Purdue University (my alma mater) were defrayed by the World Food Prize Foundation.

Allegation 11: Settlements for staff separations

ADESINA: The allegation that somehow the former Chief Economist, Mr Celestine Monga, departed the Bank with improper payments is false. The Chief Economist was not dismissed. Contract non-renewal is not dismissal of staff.

Allegation 12: Resignation of Mr David SSEGAWA

ADESINA: Mr Ssegawa was the HR Director. It is not true that I, as President, allowed him to resign when there was an investigation. There was absolutely no investigation of David Ssegawa when he resigned, nor was one contemplated.

Allegation No 13: Resignation of Mr Michel-Cyr DJIENA-WEMBOU

ADESINA: The allegation that I allowed the country manager to resign when he was under investigation for corruption is false. The President does not run country offices. They are under a Director General and overall oversight of a Vice President.

Allegation No. 14: Appointment of Mr Charles LUFUMPA as acting VP and Chief Economist

ADESINA: The allegations against me over the appointment of Charles Lufumpa as Acting Vice President and Chief Economist are patently false. My conclusion after careful review of the case of Charles Lufumpa is that the investigations conducted were very faulty and cannot prove the allegations made against him. My review also showed a well-orchestrated effort to make Mr Lufumpa a scapegoat for failures of others to do their job.

Allegation No. 15: Disregard of rules concerning leave of absence of VPs or travel of management.

ADESINA: The President does not monitor or manage time off for staff as that’s done by the Human Resources. The truth is the Vice President had personal medical issues that he had to get attended to (his private life must be respected) that required him to be away for extended periods, as needed, and he travelled with full knowledge of the department of health of the Bank which was monitoring him while away on medical reasons.

Allegation No 16: Political lobbying of Heads of State

ADESINA: It is alleged that as President I basically bribed and corrupted the 16 African Heads of State and governments in the ECOWAS region to support my candidacy for re-election.

The allegation essentially impugns the integrity, leadership and honesty of 16 African presidents and ECOWAS. This is a fanciful and baseless allegation.

Summary

In summary, every single one of the 16 allegations against me in the Disclosure remains unsubstantiated. I have not violated the Code of Conduct. The Ethics Committee should so find and dismiss the matter.

Copied

1 Like

Re: Akin Adesina: Atiku Abubakar rallies support for AfdB President by middlebelter(m): 4:56am On May 29, 2020
emkz:
Great.

Let Buhari also contact Donald Trump directly and call this independent probe off. Let him also write to the African Union and African leaders for all of them to jointly endorse Adesina. We need to exert our influence in Africa and our institutions. If the USA wins in ousting Akinwumi, that would be a big blow on African geopolitics.

Akinwunmi's offence is that he expedited loan requests for African countries which the World Bank President claims increased the debt portfolio of those countries. Akinwumi's style weakened the creditor power of the World Bank and IMF (where the United States is the majority shareholder). The plan is to get Akinwumi to step aside and the investigation won't be concluded before the election date and a stooge of the United States is installed there to do their bidding.

Now if the US doesn't get her way, they may impose sanctions on the bank (for flimsy reasons). They are protecting their interests. Therefore, after this, African leaders need to buy out the United States and review her partnership in African institutions.

Thank you for the enlightenment. Isn't it time for Nigeria to mobilize all resources to speak with one voice on this matter and also mobilize other African countries?

1 Like

Re: Akin Adesina: Atiku Abubakar rallies support for AfdB President by abbiboy: 6:04am On May 29, 2020
BafanaBafana:
Atiku still wants to run for president no doubt.

To the matter at hand, the allegations against this man are weighty. While we should stand up against interference from foreigners, it is wrong to support someone just because he is your compatriot or kinsman even when he fvcked up.
As it is, Africa is not mature enough to conduct a probe in their own matters. Is it not the same Africa that a "big man" can only be sent to jail if the government in power is against him?
A call for an independent probe is in order. If he is innocent of allegations leveled against him, he has absolutely nothing to fear. It is howeve a big shame for the country if the allegations are true.

I don talk my own

U just yan nothing,it is called geopolitics whether he his guilty or not protect ur interest first is the game of int'l politics.
Re: Akin Adesina: Atiku Abubakar rallies support for AfdB President by Olominira(m): 6:58am On May 29, 2020
[s]
ehiski:

All these names are all corruption personified,
If I were Akinwumi Adesina I will prove my innocence by providing evidence that all allegations are false. There is nothing like one for all and all for one.
Ownership of corruption and corrupt individuals is what is giving corruption in Africa the oxygen to breath.
I am not in anyway insinuating that Adesina is corrupt but let him defend himself.
[/s]
Re: Akin Adesina: Atiku Abubakar rallies support for AfdB President by Konskott(m): 8:21am On May 29, 2020
A corrupt Atiku rallying support for a corrupt Adesina. The man transplanted Nigeria's model of corruption to the AfDB. Africans and corruption are like bread and butter.
Re: Akin Adesina: Atiku Abubakar rallies support for AfdB President by brashear: 8:35am On May 29, 2020
Shebi na because Nigeria dey unserious na why dem never reason our matter. Let's try get our acts together and watch them stop being Mr nice guy providing aids for the less privileged. They will try to corner us with sanctions, influence the political status and create chaos so as to have their way.
Re: Akin Adesina: Atiku Abubakar rallies support for AfdB President by LordOfTheGame: 11:24am On May 29, 2020
ValCon888:
My question is:
What is the concern of the US, a North American country with the African Development Bank?

One stands to reason they have ulterior motives to push out Adesina at all costs.

I don't know if you supported and voted for buhari or not but the truth is that, as far as Nigeria upon her natural wealth and human capacity, still voted a dullard like buhari and what we get everytime is asking for foreign loans USAID, US will always have interest in the running of Nigeria's internal affairs. Likewise other African countries and African affairs in general.
Re: Akin Adesina: Atiku Abubakar rallies support for AfdB President by TheStarsAlign: 3:50pm On May 29, 2020
Sinzu FC is busy borrowing money to avoid relegation. Eyimba defeats Barcelona is a #miracle.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Shettima: Osinbajo Should Be Selling Popcorn And Ice Cream / Lauretta Onochie Calls Senator Abaribe A Buffoon. / Chris Ngige Shows Off His Dance Skills At Akanu Ibiam Airport, Enugu (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.