Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,522 members, 7,819,880 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:47 AM

AMY COOPER: Woman Sacked After False-calling Police On Black Man - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / AMY COOPER: Woman Sacked After False-calling Police On Black Man (385 Views)

Didunoluwa Johnson Apologizes To Justin Ugonna After False Rape Allegations / #JusticeForIzu: Izu Madubueze Commits Suicide After False Rape Accusation / Man Beats His Mother Dead In Akwa Ibom After False Prophecy By Pastor(pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

AMY COOPER: Woman Sacked After False-calling Police On Black Man by ScotMisile: 5:54am On May 29, 2020
A white woman who called the police after a black man asked her to put her dog on a leash in New York City's Central Park has been fired from her job with an investment firm.

Franklin Templeton announced on Twitter on Tuesday it had sacked an employee, "effective immediately".

"We do not tolerate racism of any kind at Franklin Templeton," the tweet said.

Christian Cooper, a bird watcher, asked the woman to leash her dog because he feared it could endanger wildlife.

Mr Cooper and the woman, identified as Amy Cooper (no relation) were in a part of Central Park called the Ramble, a popular area for bird watchers where dogs must be leashed at all times, according to the rules.

Mr Cooper said their exchange began when he noticed Ms Cooper's dog "tearing through the plantings" in the area.

"Ma'am, dogs in the Ramble have to be on the leash at all times. The sign is right there," Mr Cooper said he told her, but she refused to restrain her dog.

When he began filming, Ms Cooper told him she would phone police and tell them "there's an African-American man threatening my life".

She then called the emergency operator and repeated, "He's African-American", before pleading for them to send an officer.

A video filmed by Mr Cooper and posted on social media went viral on Monday, drawing tens of millions of views and prompting discussions about the high number of killings of black men by police in the US.

Skip Twitter post by @melodyMcooper
Oh, when Karens take a walk with their dogs off leash in the famous Bramble in NY’s Central Park, where it is clearly posted on signs that dogs MUST be leashed at all times, and someone like my brother (an avid birder) politely asks her to put her dog on the leash. pic.twitter.com/3YnzuATsDm

— Melody Cooper (@melodyMcooper) May 25, 2020
End of Twitter post by @melodyMcooper

Ms Cooper later apologised, saying she had "overreacted". "I sincerely and humbly apologise to everyone, especially to that man, his family," she told NBC News.

Ms Cooper also faced accusations of animal cruelty, after she appeared to choke the animal with its leash while restraining it to call the police. After the video went viral she returned the dog to a shelter.

"The dog is now in our rescue's care and he is safe and in good health," the organisation wrote on Facebook.

Her now-deleted LinkedIn and Instagram profiles suggested she might be Canadian.

Franklin Templeton initially suspended Ms Cooper while it investigated the incident, before announcing her sacking.

Speaking to NBC News, Mr Cooper raised the recent high-profile shooting of Ahmaud Arbery, a 25-year-old black man who was out jogging when he was killed by two white men in February.

"We live in an age of Ahmaud Arbery, where black men are gunned down because of assumptions people make about black men, black people, and I'm just not going to participate in that," he said.
#COPIED
Re: AMY COOPER: Woman Sacked After False-calling Police On Black Man by Makavelli25: 6:00am On May 29, 2020
Sauce
Re: AMY COOPER: Woman Sacked After False-calling Police On Black Man by greatbuc(m): 6:10am On May 29, 2020
Till tomorrow I don't understand the rationale behind Racism. Pure wickedness towards other colours. I have ordered for a body camera.. Even here in Nigeria. If anyone venture attack, bully or shows any demeanor towards me or others in my presence.. You are going down!! Internet will be flooded. I have some nasty lawyers that knows how to milk any gender and age bracket knuckle heads

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AMY COOPER: Woman Sacked After False-calling Police On Black Man by Dollywood(m): 10:55am On May 29, 2020
Racism is so rampant in the US and it doesn't seem to decrease anytime soon, Even that Orange head Mr Trump is one hell of a racist.
Re: AMY COOPER: Woman Sacked After False-calling Police On Black Man by Nobody: 11:05am On May 29, 2020
Racist Trump and nepotic Buhari have an identical shenanigans..
Re: AMY COOPER: Woman Sacked After False-calling Police On Black Man by Mayng01(m): 2:08pm On May 29, 2020
Good! Serves her right.

(1) (Reply)

Criminal Arrest / The White Dad & Son Who Shot Black Man Has Been Charged With MURDER / Black Store Owner Forced To Prove He Owns His Store By Cops!(video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.