Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,053 members, 7,810,932 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:40 PM

Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor (34112 Views)

Enugu Appoints Prof. Nnabugwu Okolie As ESUT's New Vice-Chancellor / UNIPORT VC, Prof. Georgewill To Deliver Keynote Address At 2021 Igberetv Awards / Buhari Appoints Prof Wushishi As NECO Registrar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by fergie001: 3:16pm On Jun 01, 2020
Mires:

Not all professors are politicians. There are professors, better still, academics that are contented with their positions. I have seen a number of Professors in Ui who were recommended for ministerial and political appointments, they decline. One of such is Emeritus Professor Oyejide of the School of Economics. Some have even turned down Headship and Deanship and asked younger Professors who are interested to take over in that regards.

As for Ui VC succession, the tradition most often times is one of the DVCs sponsored by outgoing VCs. Observers are not expecting anything less. What observers are keenly watching is if the exit of Prof. Abel Olayinka would usher in a moslem VC in Ui for the first time. I doubt.

Haaaa...I am a keen follower of UI academic succession because it is an established system.

.....producing a Muslim VC? You are correct. E no go happen, at least this year grin

I know as well some who took it as well nah, and one who was appointed by OBJ yet resigned after months and even did thanksgiving that she couldnt cope with the system.

If you mention one who declined some of all these positions, I will mention five or six to one in that same UI.

A few ones might strictly want to be academicians to the core but the younger ones are overly ambitious.

The FG has opted for the DVC-issue, Provost, Dean etc. because they don't want a VC to get there and start learning the job. They need someone who already have a heads-up but yet this isn't even a rule.

Wish them all well.
Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by senatordave1(m): 3:17pm On Jun 01, 2020
Mires:

Not all professors are politicians. There are professors, better still, academics that are contented with their positions. I have seen a number of Professors in Ui who were recommended for ministerial and political appointments, they decline. One of such is Emeritus Professor Oyejide of the School of Economics. Some have even turned down Headship and Deanship and asked younger Professors who are interested to take over in that regards.

As for Ui VC succession, the tradition most often times is one of the DVCs sponsored by outgoing VCs. Observers are not expecting anything less. What observers are keenly watching is if the exit of Prof. Abel Olayinka would usher in a moslem VC in Ui for the first time. I doubt.

I agree with your first paragraph.I have been wondering why it is only two profs in the whole uniport that are contesting.
I don't know anything about ui so I won't go there
Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by senatordave1(m): 3:29pm On Jun 01, 2020
Mires:

Until you understand that Wike is not a arm chair politician, your argument doesn't hold water. For your record, returning officer can't be from University of Port Harcourt. That's if INEC chairman decides to continue with Prof. Jega's template.

Inec under Prof Mahmoud will continue with jega pattern.wike is a proactive politician but concerning the new vc,there is nothing wike can do to influence it.only the minister of education and buhari have the powers to constitute a new council which amaechi can easily influence.wike powers ends at rsust and ken saro poly.

I know that the uniport vc will be transferred to another state to be returning officer but at least half of the lecturers that will be adhoc staffs in a state are usually shortlisted by the vc of a particular school.
Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by senatordave1(m): 3:33pm On Jun 01, 2020
fergie001:

Haaaa...I am a keen follower of UI academic succession because it is an established system.

.....producing a Muslim VC? You are correct. E no go happen, at least this year grin

I know as well some who took it as well nah, and one who was appointed by OBJ yet resigned after months and even did thanksgiving that she couldnt cope with the system.

If you mention one who declined some of all these positions, I will mention five or six to one in that same UI.

A few ones might strictly want to be academicians to the core but the younger ones are overly ambitious.

The FG has opted for the DVC-issue, Provost, Dean etc. because they don't want a VC to get there and start learning the job. They need someone who already have a heads-up but yet this isn't even a rule.

Wish them all well.

Although I don't know much about ui but I will agree that the best candidates for vcship are those that have been dvcs or deans or have held administrative posts before.infact I think it should be a compulsory criteria.VCS of unical and crutech that held some posts in the past excelled while those that didn't like spoke and bassey asuquo fumbled
Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by fergie001: 3:38pm On Jun 01, 2020
senatordave1:

Although I don't know much about ui but I will agree that the best candidates for vcship are those that have been dvcs or deans or have held administrative posts before.infact I think it should be a compulsory criteria.VCS of unical and crutech that held some posts in the past excelled while those that didn't like spoke and bassey asuquo fumbled
Ya, its not a rule but its part of the score...and its the right thing.

You know they score all these things so you have a clear advantage.

In the Federal University in my home state, they had to go and pick a Rector from a Federal Polytechnic from Ebonyi to be VC.
Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by japass: 3:41pm On Jun 01, 2020
confirmed ok.
Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by senatordave1(m): 5:18pm On Jun 01, 2020
fergie001:

Ya, its not a rule but its part of the score...and its the right thing.

You know they score all these things so you have a clear advantage.

In the Federal University in my home state, they had to go and pick a Rector from a Federal Polytechnic from Ebonyi to be VC.

I don't like how they pick vc in the south east.they can pick anybody from anywhere...but in the case of zanna,I don't think experience and qualifications counted because offiong and angrey had been profs before him,had more qualifications and even held more admin posts.
Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by fergie001: 5:26pm On Jun 01, 2020
senatordave1:

I don't like how they pick vc in the south east.they can pick anybody from anywhere...but in the case of zanna,I don't think experience and qualifications counted because offiong and angrey had been profs before him,had more qualifications and even held more admin posts.

His 'god' was a big one.

At the bolded...I am highly highly dismayed. As in I don't understand.

The biggest culprits are the Governors and Host Community. As in! Very aloof
Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by senatordave1(m): 5:27pm On Jun 01, 2020
fergie001:

His 'god' was a big one.

At the bolded...I am highly highly dismayed. As in I don't understand.

The biggest culprits are the Governors and Host Community. As in! Very aloof

Let indigenes of the state produce the vc
Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by fergie001: 5:36pm On Jun 01, 2020
senatordave1:

Let indigenes of the state produce the vc
Asides FUTO that is religious with it..... None others are.

My home state is worse.
The pioneer VC is the present deputy governor of Imo State.
Then an Abian
Then Anambra (came from outside the Univ)
Then Enugu
Then Ebonyi (came from outside the Univ)
Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by Mires: 5:52pm On Jun 01, 2020
senatordave1:

I agree with your first paragraph.I have been wondering why it is only two profs in the whole uniport that are contesting.
I don't know anything about ui so I won't go there

At that level, most professors analyzed their chances of winning with precision before declaring their interest. In add, you and I can't conclude that only two Profs are contesting for the position. It could be said that two of them are shortlisted for the visitor of the University to choose.. In most instances, the governing council often times submit names of three professors who are certified to have passed the interview process to the visitor for selection.
Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by Festools: 6:02pm On Jun 01, 2020
SILVERLINES:
cheesy

Uniport will miss Lale
My love for that man is limitless
this is suppose to be sarcasm of some sort right?.
Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by SILVERLINES: 6:03pm On Jun 01, 2020
Festools:

this is suppose to be sarcasm of some sort right?.
no, I mean it bro
Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by Mires: 6:03pm On Jun 01, 2020
fergie001:

Wish them all well.

I am sorry that some of your submission I don't understand. When it comes to Ui, there's orderliness in administration. For instance, in other Universities, you find a situation where some academics with MSc or PhD are Head of Departments. In the case of Ui, once there's no Professor in a particular Department, of course, very rare, whoever who must have attained the position of SL and possesses PhD act in that capacity as Acting HOD.

Furthermore, before any academic assumes the position of Dean, he/she must have ear?her held the position of Head. In the same vein, to qualify for DVD, one must have become Dean of Faculty or Provost of Post Graduate College. And to become a VC, despite the required minimum of five years as Professor (NUC requirement), applicant must have at least held a position as Dean or Provost.

Abeg, make i leave University politics joor.
Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by Mires: 6:05pm On Jun 01, 2020
senatordave1:

Inec under Prof Mahmoud will continue with jega pattern.wike is a proactive politician but concerning the new vc,there is nothing wike can do to influence it.only the minister of education and buhari have the powers to constitute a new council which amaechi can easily influence.wike powers ends at rsust and ken saro poly.

I know that the uniport vc will be transferred to another state to be returning officer but at least half of the lecturers that will be adhoc staffs in a state are usually shortlisted by the vc of a particular school.

I never said that Governor Wike will influence the emergence of Uniport VC
Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by senatordave1(m): 6:06pm On Jun 01, 2020
Mires:

At that level, most professors analyzed their chances of winning with precision before declaring their interest. In add, you and I can't conclude that only two Profs are contesting for the position. It could be said that two of them are shortlisted for the visitor of the University to choose.. In most instances, the governing council often times submit names of three professors who are certified to have passed the interview process to the visitor for selection.

This will surely favour prof owunari
Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by senatordave1(m): 6:07pm On Jun 01, 2020
Mires:

I never said that Governor Wike will influence the emergence of Uniport VC

I thought you suggested so
Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by fergie001: 6:08pm On Jun 01, 2020
Mires:

I am sorry that some of your submission I don't understand. When it comes to Ui, there's orderliness in administration. For instance, in other Universities, you find a situation where some academics with MSc or PhD are Head of Departments. In the case of Ui, once there's no Professor in a particular Department, of course, very rare, whoever who must have attained the position of SL and possesses PhD act in that capacity as Acting HOD.

Furthermore, before any academic assumes the position of Dean, he/she must have ear?her held the position of Head. In the same vein, to qualify for DVD, one must have become Dean of Faculty or Provost of Post Graduate College. And to become a VC, despite the required minimum of five years as Professor (NUC requirement), applicant must have at least held a position as Dean or Provost.

Abeg, make i leave University politics joor.
Its not just UI....most of the 1st generation institutions.
How is it different from what I said?
We are saying the same thing, bro
Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by Mires: 6:09pm On Jun 01, 2020
senatordave1:

This will surely favour prof owunari

If you say so, who am I. I don't know what is happening in Uniport. I can only speak authoritatively and convincingly when it comes to the premier University, the First and the Best - University of Ibadan.
Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by flow26(m): 6:13pm On Jun 01, 2020
You should have given us a full profile, not just picture.
Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by Mires: 6:19pm On Jun 01, 2020
senatordave1:

I thought you suggested so

No I never said so. I don't even know what happens in Uniport politics. The last time I remembered Uniport was several years ago when I asked Prof (then, Dr.) Okechukwu Onuchukwu to assist me to secure admission through supplementary admission with 250 JAMB score. He gave me his assurance. Fortunately, he didn't follow it up. The subsequent year, I wrote again and found myself in one of the leading first generation Universities where my research skills were sharpened.
Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by EncoreTrades(m): 6:24pm On Jun 01, 2020
Are you a Nigerian Student, you are invited to join our Foundation Education Pandemic Motivational Program.

You stand the chance to answer some questions, or solve simple math problems and win our weekly Giveaway Prices

Our Pandemic Giveaway Program will take part on our Instagram page... and it will kick off this Friday 9pm Nigeria Time with the first question.

The first person to submit the correct answer to the question wins the Star Price of 10000 naira.

Then we will have other consolation prices for the runner ups....Recharge cards etc

Take advantage of this pandemic initiatives and win BIG...

Brought to you by;

Beverly Foundation Africa
www.beverlyafrica.org

follow our instagram page:
@beverlyfoundation

Come let us have Fun:
Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by samchem(m): 7:34pm On Jun 01, 2020
tope777:
STUDENTS' UNION GOVERNMENT
OFFICE OF THE DIRECTOR OF INFORMATION
UNIVERSITY OF PORT HARCOURT
EAST/WEST ROAD
PMB 5323
CHOBA
RIVERS STATE
NIGERIA

The Honorable Minister of education.
Federal Republic of Nigeria, Nigeria.

Through:

The Hon.minister of state for education,
Federal Republic of Nigeria, Nigeria.

IMPENDING BREACH OF THE PEACE IN THE UNIVERSITY OF PORTHARCOURT

The students’ union of the university of port Harcourt, kindly write to your offices to intervene in a development we consider as impending breach of the peace on the campus of the university of port Harcourt.
The student union has observed that one Prof. Owunari Georgewill, one of the aspirants for the position of the vice chancellorship of the University of Port Harcourt is carrying himself in a manner that could raise unnecessary rivalry, panic, tension and crisis in the university. Our observations are founded on the following backdrop.

1. He is aiding and abetting rumor mongering on the social media as regards his receipt of letter of appointment as the 9th vice chancellor of UNIPORT.

2. Sponsoring series of petitions and court cases against the university management since the inception of Prof. N.E.S Lale-led administration with the intent to make the University ungovernable for Prof. N.E.S Lale

3. Going about with the proclamation of being an anointed candidate, of the Hon. Minister for transportation, Rt. Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Ameachi, one of the highly respected political leaders in the Niger Delta for the position of vice chancellor. The union sees Prof. Georgewill’s distribution of recharge card worth millions of naira, to Facebook users on our leader’s birthday, as a way of currying favor from the Hon. Minister of transportation. We considered this act highly sycophantic and mercantilist.

4. Attempting to run a parallel government in the university of Port Harcourt by relishing all the congratulatory messages showered on him on social media as the 9th vice chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt, rather than put up a disclaimer to such unfounded rumors from his social media influencers.
It is pertinent to mention that Prof Owunari Georgewill’s presence on social media tends to negate the laid down procedure/principle of the selection/appointment of a vice chancellor in the University of Port Harcourt. It is not surprising, that his declarations as the 9th vice chancellor of the university of Port Harcourt was made public by sponsored social media influencers.

Against the backdrop of the issues raised so far, the union hereby states as follows;

1. That it is in the knowledge of the union that the tenure of the current vice chancellor Prof. N.E.S Lale will expire on the 12th of July 2020. The union Therefore is not expecting any imposition of an acting vice chancellor especially where there is no vacuum or breach of peace in the day to day administration of the university of Port Harcourt. The unions awareness is guided by her knowledge of the provisions in the university of Port Harcourt Act in relation to the selection or appointment of Vice-Chancellor or Acting Vice Chancellor.

2. The union is also aware of the dissolution of the Governing Council of the university of Port Harcourt. The union understands that the visitor has the prerogative to announce such dissolution. However, the union would like to extend an appeal to the visitor to kindly constitute a new Governing council within the shortest possible time in order to guarantee an all-encompassing university system.

3. Whereas the union is not against the aspirations of Prof. Owunari Georgewill to be the vice chancellor of the university of the university of Port Harcourt, the union frowns at Prof. Georgewill’s high level of desperation whereby he claims to have been appointed the 9th vice chancellor of the university of Port Harcourt on social media. This act does not only end in deceiving the social media vulnerable public, but also portends a high security risk and breach of the peace on campus because it is tantamount to establishing a parallel government since the tenure of the incumbent vice chancellor is still running. That Prof. Georgewill should be called to order by the visitor of the university of Port Harcourt, through the Hon. Minister of education to stop parading himself on the social media, as the 9th vice chancellor of the university of Port Harcourt.

4. That the union wishes to state unequivocally that there has been lasting peace and free flow of academic and administrative activities in the university until the general lockdown as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. The union is with the federal government as we commend the swift response by the federal government in curbing the spread of the pandemic. We also hope that normal activities will return to university campuses in Nigeria based on the appropriate timing of the government.

5. The union is hereby advising Prof. Owunari Georgewill to put up a disclaimer or refute in the same social media about the rumors that he has been appointed the 9th vice chancellor of the university of Port Harcourt. This is to exonerate him from any impending crises that may arise as a result of the rumors.

Finally, the union also states in clear terms that the issue of cultism has become history in the university of Port Harcourt under Prof. N.E.S Lale, and so, will not fold her hands and watch any individual rekindle the flames of cultism in uniport for political reasons and mundane interests.
We therefore appeal to the Hon. Minister of Education to intervene by calling Prof. Owunari Georgewill and all other over ambitious candidates for the post of vice chancellor to order, by advising them to play the game by the rules.

As a body of students, we can no longer afford the luxury of missing out any semester due to internal crises in the administration of the university.
Yours in the service of the
Nation and the peace of
University of Port Harcourt

Comr. SOWARI DIKIBO
SUG President University of Port Harcourt

Cc:
Inspector general of police

DG State Security Service

The Senate President FRN

The speaker House of representatives FRN

Nigerian University Commission(NUC)

Rivers State Police Command

Rivers State, SSS Command

National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS)

All Media Houses

Please find attached evidence from our findings

Announcer:
Comr. Serekara Fyneface Jnr
Director of Information
Posted: Sunday, 31st May, 2020
Disclaimer:Totally false please stop bedwetting on this thread
Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by peterincredible: 8:02pm On Jun 01, 2020
EmperorMhykels:
Thank God Uniport has been freed from the shackles of LALE. That man distroyed that school for people.

His first policy as a VC was to implement No-school fees, No exam.. people were begging the man he no gree; until the day exam was to start.... Come see as boys block Delta gate and Main gate. That day police killed Peter Ofurum faculty president Management Sciences,.. When school resume every student still pay 5k.

The second on was that if you fail to pay school fees for a term you will repeat..

Another one was that if you paid school fees after the last day set by the school *school received the school fees ooo* you will still come back.. even if you don go NYSC
bros u know lie i experience every thing first hand even some of my collegue was called back from their nysc service to repeat final year thank God lale is finally gone
Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by vandertommy: 8:52pm On Jun 01, 2020
SILVERLINES:
cheesy

Uniport will miss Lale

miss fire. Even students that graduated from his faculty including me seriously hates him. Even devil is afraid of that man

1 Like

Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by Lameyrite: 9:37pm On Jun 01, 2020
missed who? no be only lale

Uniport will miss Lale
My love for that man is limitless[/quote]
Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by Lameyrite: 9:38pm On Jun 01, 2020
missed who?no be only lale

SILVERLINES:
cheesy

Uniport will miss Lale
Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by paparazi1(m): 12:06am On Jun 02, 2020
samchem:
Uniport new vc looking flamboyant in new pics

Professor Georgewill Owunari from Abonnema in kalabari LG of Rivers State becomes the 9th vice chancellor of the prestigious citadal of learning

Congrats sir, pls do not follow the foot print of the outgoing VC, who has inflicted a lot of injuries on both students and their
parents

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by Nobody: 11:04am On Jun 02, 2020
Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by addictiv(m): 6:50pm On Jun 05, 2020
The Social Media /Self Appointed VC. You think to become VC is by Facebook likes.

https://www.nairaland.com/5904348/fg-sends-uniport-vc-compulsory#90323242
Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by JOYOSITA(f): 2:45pm On Sep 04, 2020
Passionate888:
are you a student of Uniport?
graduated last year..

1 Like

Re: Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor by primeedulab: 4:41pm On Sep 04, 2020

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

SCIENTISTS BAFFLED BY MYSTERIOUS SHIELD PROTECTING EARTH FROM BEING OBLITERATED. / "UNIOSUN Students Invested Their Fees In MMM, They Must Pay N2bn Debt" - VC / Benefits Of Breast Sucking To The Sucked And The Sucker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.