Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,008 members, 7,825,145 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:50 AM

Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? (4096 Views)

My Car Overheats Please Help / My Engine Goes Off When A/C Is Switched On / My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:39pm On Jun 14, 2020
orahfrancis:
I had a very funny experience with my Peugeot 307, i had same issue i exhausted all options. My electrician asked me to change my battery from 65 anp to 75 anp when i did that the overheating disappeared.

Francis this sounds like some indaboskey tins cheesy cheesy

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by Praxtech: 12:46pm On Jun 14, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

Francis this sounds like some indaboskey tins cheesy cheesy
Bahoose
Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by Praxtech: 12:46pm On Jun 14, 2020
orahfrancis:
I had a very funny experience with my Peugeot 307, i had same issue i exhausted all options. My electrician asked me to change my battery from 65 anp to 75 anp when i did that the overheating disappeared.
Wrong. Your alternator wasn't optimal.
Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by tetralogyfallot(m): 3:23pm On Jun 14, 2020
bigx:

Be saving for new engine.
it shall never be my portion insha'Allah
Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by bigx(m): 4:53pm On Jun 14, 2020
tetralogyfallot:
it shall never be my portion insha'Allah

Correct the abuse so it won't be your portion.

The car I've used longest has a single cell radiator, has the thermostat intact and the fan only comes at around 90°.

Same engine for the past 6 years, zero overheating, zero issues.
Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by tetralogyfallot(m): 5:09pm On Jun 14, 2020
chukel:
Of all monikers, you chose tetraology of fallot. Oya naa, wahala otipoju
blue baby syndrome ba. No mind me o
Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by billy187(m): 7:41pm On Jun 15, 2020
Hi! I use the same car, (for about 8 years now) and had the same problem eons ago. Yeah, the high speed fan was going bad.

But yeah, you should probably look into putting your thermostat back. your car is probably constantly running open loop and trust me, that makes it horribly thirsty. (I removed the 'stat' once to clean my cooling system)

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by tetralogyfallot(m): 12:19am On Jun 16, 2020
billy187:
Hi! I use the same car, (for about 8 years now) and had the same problem eons ago. Yeah, the high speed fan was going bad.

But yeah, you should probably look into putting your thermostat back. your car is probably constantly running open loop and trust me, that makes it horribly thirsty. (I removed the 'stat' once to clean my cooling system)
Cheers!
thanks bro, I'll do just that. But despite removing the thermostat it still doesn't consume much fuel o.

1 Like

Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by Nobody: 8:00am On Jun 16, 2020
tetralogyfallot:
thanks bro, I'll do just that. But despite removing the thermostat it still doesn't consume much fuel o.
Don't panic bro. Leave it like that as long as your car runs fine. What I do with mine is to allow the engine warm for about 5mins or until the rpm drops to between 1.5 to 1.7 and temperature guage rises a tiny bit before driving off.
If you're in a hurry then turning AC on immediately after starting helps to warm up faster.
My temp guage has never gone above quarter even with AC in traffic and I like it like that. I used to argue thermostat too before until overheating showed me pepper. If your car is not an over-engineered late model, remove the damn thing.
Small price to pay to prevent overheating forever and yes kazeems may be illiterate but in the long run they are a much cheaper alternative to all these google mechanics.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by Itulah(m): 1:36pm On Jun 16, 2020
tetralogyfallot:
My Ford focus st170 temperature gauge never cross quarter level when driving to anywhere even on sunny dayz but immediately I switched my AC the temperature gauge overshoots and indicates overheating. My AC technician told me to flush the cars radiator which I did but still there's no any change. Driving a car without AC can be a pain in the neck. Engineers in d house let's hear your opinions.

1 Like

Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by chukel(m): 2:51pm On Jun 16, 2020
ModelX:
Don't panic bro. Leave it like that as long as your car runs fine. What I do with mine is to allow the engine warm for about 5mins or until the rpm drops to between 1.5 to 1.7 and temperature guage rises a tiny bit before driving off.
If you're in a hurry then turning AC on immediately after starting helps to warm up faster.
My temp guage has never gone above quarter even with AC in traffic and I like it like that. I used to argue thermostat too before until overheating showed me pepper. If your car is not an over-engineered late model, remove the damn thing.
Small price to pay to prevent overheating forever and yes kazeems may be illiterate but in the long run they are a much cheaper alternative to all these google mechanics.
you mean after 5mins, your rpm is 1500-1700. There is problem o.

3 Likes

Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jun 16, 2020
chukel:
Yes at cold start and idling. I'm good because when I put it in drive rpm drops to 1 on the button.

ECU will relearn.
Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by chukel(m): 3:06pm On Jun 16, 2020
ModelX:
Yes at cold start and idling. I'm good because when I put it in drive rpm drops to 1 on the button.

ECU will relearn.
that's bad. Your fuel consumption must be high. You see, your rpm is always high trying to compensate for the perpetually cold engine that never gets to optimal temperature. Car will run rich. Fuel consumption will be high. Exhaust will have black soot. Engine is dying gradually.

3 Likes

Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jun 16, 2020
chukel:
that's bad. Your fuel consumption must be high. You see, your rpm is always high trying to compensate for the perpetually cold engine that never gets to optimal temperature. Car will run rich. Fuel consumption will be high. Exhaust will have black soot. Engine is dying gradually.
Wrong.
How does slightly high rpm translate to car running rich?
Yes it is overcompensating at startup(like any normal car before settling to 1,000) but taking a little longer to warm up, agreed.
Fuel consumption is definitely not any higher than before. No black soot. Exhuast steams like a fresh fish.

With your analogy then fan should never come on, even with thermostat, if indeed it makes engine perpetually cold never getting to optimal temperature.
Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by chukel(m): 3:45pm On Jun 16, 2020
ModelX:

Wrong.
How does slightly high rpm translate to car running rich?
Yes it is overcompensating at startup(like any normal car before settling to 1,000) but taking a little longer to warm up, agreed.
Fuel consumption is definitely not any higher than before. No black soot. Exhuast steams like a fresh fish.

With your analogy then fan should never come on, even with thermostat, if indeed it makes engine perpetually cold never getting to optimal temperature.
it's your car. Continue.

1 Like

Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jun 16, 2020
chukel:
it's your car. Continue.
Stop spreading fear this man.
https://www.sunautoservice.com/why-do-cars-idle-at-a-high-rpm-when-its-cold/
Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by chukel(m): 5:40pm On Jun 16, 2020
ModelX:
Stop spreading fear this man.
https://www.sunautoservice.com/why-do-cars-idle-at-a-high-rpm-when-its-cold/
like I said it's your car. However, ask yourself what your normal RPM should be. Your car is sick. Again, it's your car.
Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by tetralogyfallot(m): 8:20pm On Jun 16, 2020
Even with the thermostat been removed there's no any increase in fuel consumption. The fuel consumption remains almost d same.
Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by dicksonadams(m): 9:02pm On Jun 16, 2020
Omo chichurnchin... You can take a horse to the stream but you can not force it to drink water
Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by Bizzyliss(m): 5:31pm On Jun 17, 2020
Check ur cooling fan
Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by Bizzyliss(m): 5:39pm On Jun 17, 2020
chukel:
lol instead of 800

1 Like

Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by dfos2k(m): 6:32pm On Jun 17, 2020
entrep88:

Oga pls keep quite. I advised based on experience. Forget whats on paper, many cars imported to our country are not designed for this hot climate hence the reasons for this modifications to suite our weather. The first camry i used had this same issue, i got the experience when we changed to double cell as the single cell could not handle the existing temp. I wasnt a fan of technicians removing thermostats, but over time it seems the best solutions to some overheating challenges.
wow this is the most knowledgeable car guru in nairaland of recent! Salute grin grin
Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by dicksonadams(m): 6:47pm On Jun 17, 2020
dfos2k:
wow this is the most knowledgeable car guru in nairaland of recent! Salute grin grin

Hmmm. You sure... Deviating from how oyinbo make car and following kazeem recommdation can be a good short term solution, but long term dey get comma most time
Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by Elsueno: 8:09pm On Sep 09, 2020
As long as ur cooling system is alright, the car will not overheat. PLS DO NOT REMOVE UR THERMOSTAT or connect fan direct, especially if u ain't driving cars made in the 90s, modern cars have sensors, almost everything is connected. Now when ur car ecu gets a reading ur engine temperature is not optimum around 90~100, mostly 90, it will make the car run rich on fuel. Which might end up damaging ur oxygen sensor, catalytic converter and in the long run, d whole engine.

My car's fan hardly comes on, it only does when am stuck in traffic.
Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by lyort: 1:09am On Sep 10, 2020
yes ooo, the stupid car has only one giant power consuming fan in front cooling the radiator, that's why most benzes and bmws carry 100amps batteries
tetralogyfallot:
battery ke
Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by adesanyadotun: 8:31am On Sep 10, 2020
Elsueno:
As long as ur cooling system is alright, the car will not overheat. PLS DO NOT REMOVE UR THERMOSTAT or connect fan direct, especially if u ain't driving cars made in the 90s, modern cars have sensors, almost everything is connected. Now when ur car ecu gets a reading ur engine temperature is not optimum around 90~100, mostly 90, it will make the car run rich on fuel. Which might end up damaging ur oxygen sensor, catalytic converter and in the long run, d whole engine.

My car's fan hardly comes on, it only does when am stuck in traffic.

My camry 10 fans run directly. I called tech to revert back to factory set, he did. We left the car idle for about 18 mins, the fans kicks up as normal. We drove around for about 5 mins. The temp guage a little below half but the car engine compartment and bonet became hot, ac didn't cool again, check engine light came on. I had to tell him to return it back to direct in fear. I just didn't worry since I use ac all at the time and the fans must also run at ac.
Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by Elsueno: 12:25pm On Sep 10, 2020
adesanyadotun:

My camry 10 fans run directly. I called tech to revert back to factory set, he did. We left the car idle for about 18 mins, the fans kicks up as normal. We drove around for about 5 mins. The temp guage a little below half but the car engine compartment and bonet became hot, ac didn't cool again, check engine light came on. I had to tell him to return it back to direct in fear. I just didn't worry since I use ac all at the time and the fans must also run at ac.

But that means you dey suppress a hidden something now, anyways as long as you use AC all the time. D temperature will raise to half area and stay at that place( that is if thermostat still dey Inside & fan is direct). so usually they ain't much of a problem. D problem is when you are running cold. waaay below half mark.

By the way, sometimes I think i can fry egg on my bonnet, My Ac chills though.
Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by 9icetoo(m): 4:24pm On Sep 10, 2020
chukel:
Big problem. Car is forever struggling to warm up, burning unnecessary fuel, spraying too much fuel into the cylinders, washing off lubrication, fouling the catalyst, exposing the catalyst to very high operating temperatures. The list is endless. Las las, engine or gear go pack. Ladipo go supply replacement and the cycle continues.
There is problem oo. shocked

1 Like

Re: Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? by adesanyadotun: 9:25pm On Sep 10, 2020
Elsueno:

But that means you dey suppress a hidden something now, anyways as long as you use AC all the time. D temperature will raise to half area and stay at that place( that is if thermostat still dey Inside & fan is direct). so usually they ain't much of a problem. D problem is when you are running cold. waaay below half mark.

By the way, sometimes I think i can fry egg on my bonnet, My Ac chills though.

Fry egg grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Future Of Cars - The C1 Gyro-balanced Two-wheeler / 07-10 Toyota Camry Muscle / Clean Volkswagen Passat 2004 Available For Sale SOLD SOLD SOLD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.