Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,718 members, 7,824,042 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:06 PM

Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments (29154 Views)

How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) / Condiments Available / Using Locust Beans(iru/ogiri/dawadawa) To Cook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Avatecc: 4:57am On Jun 27, 2020
But this thing de smell some how ooo

2 Likes

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Iceberg3: 5:10am On Jun 27, 2020
Macsjebs:
E dey sweet for okro and ewedu

EOD grin

I use it even in my indomie and rice grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Nobody: 5:17am On Jun 27, 2020
That thing can smell for Africa but I think it makes ofe akwu taste really good. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Kellie069(m): 5:19am On Jun 27, 2020
Mehn!! The thing de sweet but I no go fit use my money buy am or cook with am .When I travel to see Mumsi, she gats grind am because if I see am for eyes, na to remove am throway

1 Like

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by emmabest2000(m): 5:26am On Jun 27, 2020
chii8:

Lol... the okpei is used for ofe akwu,ofe ogbono,ofe egwusi while ogiri is used when cooking ofe onugbu,ofe nsala,ofe oha,abacha... that's for Anambra people ooo, don't know about other eastern states oooo.They are both really nice in their own way.

You're right , but both of them are ogiris

Ogiri okpe and ogiri igbo

5 Likes

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by miniziter(m): 5:33am On Jun 27, 2020
Its because of Iru i've not travelled out.

1 Like

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by ntyce(m): 5:47am On Jun 27, 2020
I prefer iru pete to woro....

Golden rule, wash your hands and mouth after eating.

1 Like

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Eniolakiite(f): 5:51am On Jun 27, 2020
I love Iru with all my heart smiley

1 Like

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by GeneralPula: 6:05am On Jun 27, 2020
My granny go cook with just Iru with plenty Onions.. Less or no Maggi..

Girls of these days can’t cook without maggi.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Nobody: 6:05am On Jun 27, 2020
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Chamber2000: 6:07am On Jun 27, 2020
pocohantas:

I think Imo people use it too. Okay, it was okpei I asked for. They are all smelly, but I like the okpei and the twist it brought to my food.

Are they both made from locust bean?
so you are igbo? Odimma.

Enjoy your ofe akwu

1 Like

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by fineboynl(m): 6:07am On Jun 27, 2020
that smelling stuff. no way

1 Like

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by toyotamuscle: 6:12am On Jun 27, 2020
How can someone even comfortably eat a smelly food.some people are just... Am an igbo man but I dont eat akpu.why because, why growing up I just hate the smell.my old man ll always force me to eat it reminding me that he too hates the smelly type. But the one he offers me, isnt smelly.but its already registered in my brain that all akpu are smelly.let alone ogiri ishe.tufiakwua.

1 Like

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by pupsyd: 6:18am On Jun 27, 2020
SKYloafFISH:

That's what you think... It's still sweeter in every meal

This picture is used for illustration purpose only

This picture is used for illustration purpose only
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by sacajawea: 6:19am On Jun 27, 2020
TigerFoods is Salt used in the preparation of IRU/LocustBeans?

1 Like

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by sacajawea: 6:20am On Jun 27, 2020
Why does it taste so Salty Tho

1 Like

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Nobody: 6:27am On Jun 27, 2020
TigerFoods:
Vegeta Ugu is a dehydrated Vegetable and hence it has a long shelf life. We don't have ogiri as a product in the market. Thank you.

Igbo people don't use iru.
They use ogiri igbo made with castor seed(ùgba) not locust beans. If we don't use castor seed, we use egwusi.

Okpei is not celebrated and used in all igboland.
We don't use okpei to make òra or bitter leave soup.
We use ogiri igbo.

Okpei is used by middle belt more than its used in igboland. Enugu state that's closer to middle belt use okpei more.

Get your facts right.

6 Likes

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by baby124: 6:28am On Jun 27, 2020
iru pete is the ultimate. The stinkiness fresh die but it’s the sweetest and rare. The people that do it put their whole mind into manufacturing it grin

1 Like

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Munzy14(m): 6:30am On Jun 27, 2020
Pavore9:

No, still outside. Ndi ne chem kari kwa! cheesy
Exactly bro.. cheesy

Some kobo ideas of yours need to go into practicals.
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Munzy14(m): 6:34am On Jun 27, 2020
ursullalinda:
I use it only in Ofe akwu......didn't know it can be used in other soups......Then use the main ogiri for ofe ede and Abacha......thou it's not compulsory for ofe akwu.
In Anambra, It is used almost in anything. Gives food a kind of organic taste especially the ofe-akwu(banga soup).

Anytime I am visiting Anambra, my meal orders doesn't exceed bitter leaf soup and ofe-akwu. They do it well.

2 Likes

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Jsucre(m): 6:36am On Jun 27, 2020
Like for iru pete, share for iru woro

1 Like

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Munzy14(m): 6:40am On Jun 27, 2020
Tigerfoods kudos for sharing this Idea.. For long I have been wondering how those ogiri are made, especially the one that comes from Anambra.

For the locust beans, a friend ones way billed from Ibadan, I can say the aroma in food was great almost same as our Igbo ogiri.
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Nobody: 6:41am On Jun 27, 2020
uhmm so yummy

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by IMO01: 6:42am On Jun 27, 2020
Hmmmm
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Kemimarch16(f): 6:42am On Jun 27, 2020
I love it in my rice stew
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Nobody: 6:43am On Jun 27, 2020
pocohantas:

You mean they are different? I used one in my ofe akwu after you gave the inspiration. I am really enjoying it, don’t know if it’s because e done tey or because of the ogiri.

I am just confused... grin grin
The poster don't know what he or she is spewing.

I'm actually angry with the @op
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Kemimarch16(f): 6:46am On Jun 27, 2020
I love it in my rice stew
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Nobody: 6:46am On Jun 27, 2020
Munzy14:
Tigerfoods kudos for sharing this Idea.. For long I have been wondering how those ogiri are made, especially the one that comes from Anambra.

For the locust beans, a friend ones way billed from Ibadan, I can say the aroma in food was great almost same as our Igbo ogiri.
Ogiri is never made from locust beans so the @op dont actually know what she is saying.
Gosh, igbo people here dey fall my hand.
U guys will just accept anything without cross checking.
This is castor seed used in making ogiri igbo. Anambra call it ùgba.

2 Likes

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Nobody: 6:55am On Jun 27, 2020
chii8:

Lol... the okpei is used for ofe akwu,ofe ogbono,ofe egwusi while ogiri is used when cooking ofe onugbu,ofe nsala,ofe oha,abacha... that's for Anambra people ooo, don't know about other eastern states oooo.They are both really nice in their own way.
in enugu and part of abia state we use the one made of castor seed to prapare abacha
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by esente: 7:08am On Jun 27, 2020
The taste is in the smell.
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by MICHEALADEX(m): 7:09am On Jun 27, 2020
SocialJustice:
This smelly shiit

Pele tie
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by sylve11: 7:19am On Jun 27, 2020
SocialJustice:
This smelly shiit

grin grin cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lady Poses With An Antelope They Killed At Her Community In Anambra State. / See The Banga Soup N Starch I Prepared This Afternoon. / A Friend Was Scammed By A Popular Eatery. See How (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.