Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,996 members, 7,810,772 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:08 PM

Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty (29624 Views)

MAN Kicks Against Excise On Soft Drinks / Please Suggest A Healthy Alternative To Soft Drinks. / Coca-cola Halts Production As Co2 Shortage Affects Soft Drinks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by CHIOMAEZEH: 8:08am On Aug 21, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiM3CzVjRh8

The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) is proposing to collect excise duty on soft drinks, abolished in 1993 by the interim national government.

Appearing before a joint committee of the senate on finance and national planning on Thursday, Hameed Ali, comptroller-general of the NCS, said the federal government should lift the tax waivers for companies producing soft drinks within the country.

Ali argued that if companies producing alcoholic beverages and tobacco could pay taxes, those producing soft drinks could do the same.

“We have been pushing for the expansion of our own excise collection. During the (Ernest) Shonekan regime (in 1993), excise was stopped for carbonated drinks manufacturers, like Coca-Cola,” the retired colonel said.

“The only one approved for us are tobacco alcoholic beverages. The understanding then was that tobacco and alcoholic beverages affect the health of citizens and should be taxed.

“But we know that carbonated drinks are also injurious to the health of the people due to the high sugar content.

“Therefore if tobacco and alcoholic beverages companies are paying tax, the carbonated drink manufacturers should also pay.”

Ali also informed the lawmakers that revenue from import would reduce because of a number of agreements Nigeria has signed.

Customs would generate N1.2 trillion before the end of the year because it had already collected N830 billion as of the end of July, the comptroller-general said.

Also speaking at the event, Senate President Ahmad Lawan said there was need to look into why companies such as Coca-Cola do not pay excise duty.

“I don’t understand why Coca-cola for instance should not pay excise,” Lawan said.

“It is an established company all over the world and it dominates the soft drinks industry.”

SOURCE: https://www.thecable.ng/soft-drinks-to-cost-more-as-customs-proposes-excise-duty

1 Share

Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by ijustdey: 8:16am On Aug 21, 2020
This government is not for the people but for some vested interest

Why increase the financial burden just because you want more money to be looted

218 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by Aflix(m): 8:24am On Aug 21, 2020
Economy-0
Power-0
Security- -10
Infrastructure-0
Completion of railway started by previous govt-50
Inflation-100

Wetin we de enjoy for this government self

139 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by CallMeDrino: 8:32am On Aug 21, 2020
grin

Very good. Been trying to stop my addiction sef. The price increment go make me stop by force

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by Toyade888(m): 8:32am On Aug 21, 2020
Really,

So no more cold pepsi to quench your thirst after hustling under the Nigerian hot sun again.

That feeling though...

It's good news, it'll reduce the rate at which we get diabetes complications in the country.

94 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by AFULA(m): 8:32am On Aug 21, 2020
undecided
Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by StRichard(m): 8:32am On Aug 21, 2020
These mofos will tax businesses to death, at the end they will loot all the money.

115 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by bbbabes(f): 8:32am On Aug 21, 2020
Thank God I've Just gone fruity

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by toprealman: 8:32am On Aug 21, 2020
Lol......$1= ₦1
Audio government.
By the time this guy is done, people will understand the real meaning of "change".

88 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by vickydevoka(m): 8:32am On Aug 21, 2020
We Don tire

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by Perfecttouchade: 8:32am On Aug 21, 2020
grin wetin remain sef grin
Make una kukuma kee us na..

7 Likes

Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by AGUBANZE(m): 8:33am On Aug 21, 2020
Zobo go come sure pass now .

107 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by money121(m): 8:33am On Aug 21, 2020
Ok
Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by Catchfirez: 8:33am On Aug 21, 2020
Buhari is King Saul in the Bible. Nigerians are suffering and smiling. Buhari don tame noise makers. Lol this is just the beginning, 3 more years to go. By the time Buhari finish with Nigerians. No one will be able to even say something bad about is regime. He came to revenge.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by Yankee101: 8:33am On Aug 21, 2020
Good, let's start producing locally

All those mangoes, oranges, tomatoes etc we waste can become a local bottling industry

8 Likes

Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by ILYMA: 8:33am On Aug 21, 2020
Buhari is killing us angry

8 Likes

Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by personal59: 8:33am On Aug 21, 2020
lolll..,

this is superstoty a life of strive and surrow,

where the fishes drown and even die of thirst

we are in for it

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by Zico5(m): 8:33am On Aug 21, 2020
Buhari will ruin this country eventually. For those of u still supporting the Draconians government in place, get to know we are on the same page together. No amount of money paid to u will be enough to sustain the future of ur children and ur next generation.

38 Likes

Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by ThatFairGuy: 8:33am On Aug 21, 2020
Very essential, competition won't make the price rise.
Also Indirectly, it'll boast locally made soft drinks like Zobo, Kunu, soy milk and fruit extract juice.
This will boast production of such farm produce as well.

TO ME, THIS IS GOOD DEVELOPMENT

sircatherine45:

I'm not a Buharist, but if this news is true, then what you said is just the best thing i have read this morning.
More feathers to your cap!

You too chief.
A country where everything works excellently if not perfectly is what we crave for.

God bless The Federal Republic of Nigeria.

To those insulting themselves and not me grin, I don't know what to say to you. THIS IS MY OWN OPINION like I said. Leave me with it

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by Nobody: 8:33am On Aug 21, 2020
Government should think outside the box, rather than think inside the box..

2 Likes

Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by revived: 8:33am On Aug 21, 2020
Ohh
Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by Houseofglam7(f): 8:33am On Aug 21, 2020
undecided
Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by Doctee: 8:33am On Aug 21, 2020
Na there wàhálà be that
Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by Maxymilliano(m): 8:34am On Aug 21, 2020
Wahala dey shocked
Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by Lukenitheooo6(m): 8:34am On Aug 21, 2020
is it drinks that are made in Nigeria abi imported ones
Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by pilotjenny(f): 8:34am On Aug 21, 2020
good for their pockets
Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by jericco1(m): 8:34am On Aug 21, 2020
The only thing this government knows how to do is tax people angry

13 Likes

Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by pabon(m): 8:34am On Aug 21, 2020
Someone once said, "Nigerian government keeps making it difficult for people to legitimately make money. It's like they want everyone to go into fraudulent activities."

Always remember to pray for your country. Nigeria is balancing on a knife edge. Any slight tilting, it might collapse.

I'm an author. Check my book below

9 Likes

Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by Mtola8: 8:34am On Aug 21, 2020
Contact/whatsapp-08103249342 For means to increase your finance even after the adverse effect of civik 1-9
Re: Soft Drinks To Cost More As Customs Proposes Excise Duty by Nobody: 8:34am On Aug 21, 2020
These custom workers keep cashing out steady.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

One Pot Tomatoes Stew / Burnt meals,share your experience! / Delicious Foods You Didn't Know You Could Grill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.