Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,126 members, 7,835,776 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:51 PM

Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? (4891 Views)

Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood / Beautiful Photos Of Nollywood Actress Who Was Buried On The Set Of A Movie / Full List Of Winners At The Best Of Nollywood Awards 2017(see List) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by Seerade029: 6:27pm On May 31, 2020
kayfra:

They are even on imdb database

This is Jaiyesimi

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0082575/

When they call you poor and local now you'd take offense. Let me educate you all

My reply is not meant for you.

It's the other guy that said, everybody knew about living in bondage
Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by OreMI22: 6:28pm On May 31, 2020
[s]
kayfra:

Aiye (1980)
Jaiyesimi (1981)
Aropin (1982)
Ayanmo (1988)
Orun Mooru (1982)
Aare Agbaye (1983)
Mosebolatan (1985)
Obee Gbona (1989)
Diamond (1990 Home video )
Agba Man (1992, Home Video)
Return Match (1993, Home Video)
Ana Gomina (1996, home video, )
Tokunbo (1985)
Papa Ajasco (1983)
Taxi Driver (1983)
Ajani Ogun (1976)
Cry Freedom (1980)
Money Power (1982)
Ija Ominira (1979)
Evil Encounter (1980]

Just to name a few

[/s]

Silly revisionists! grin grin grin

Papa Ajasco and all these silly secondary school concerts had movie directors, were shot as Nollywood movies in 35mm films, transferred to VCD and DVD and sold as movies abi?abi?
You guys just love lies and trying to revise facts.

I'm sure if the first secondary school in Nigeria were in the Southeast, you guys will also list your Sunday School lessons and try to claim it was the same as secondary schools. grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by Seerade029: 6:29pm On May 31, 2020
Ibadanpikin:
Mention any actors/actresses of those dramas abi films that are popular like pete edochie,nkem owoh,patience ozokwor,Genevieve,mr ibu,aki and papaw,chiwetalu agu etc.Can those dramas you mention compete with nollywood movies like igodo,ijele,blood money,most wanted,living in bondage etc

All these actors you're mentioning, few only knew them in the west.

I only know Genevieve and pawpaw.
Others I'm just hearing them for the first time, even the movies you mentioned.

1 Like

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by Nobody: 6:29pm On May 31, 2020
This thread will end in terrible tribal e-fight, I can feel it.

The afonja and ipob yoot crew are coming.
Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by kayfra: 6:30pm On May 31, 2020
FortuneDeGreat:
Foul mouth but mind you, you don't have the monopoly of that.
Some timid untraveled fellows would always think that civilization begins and ends with their immediate enclave. Nonsense!

You are never too old to learn grin

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0082575/

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0102458/?ref_=m_nm_knf_act_i1

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0083576/?ref_=m_nm_knf_i1

4 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by SLAP44: 6:31pm On May 31, 2020
Living in bondage started Nollywood.

All other films and series before it were mere rehearsal for the main event.

Igbo also had many videos before living in bondage but they don't count them because they were forerunners to Nollywood.

1 Like

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by kayfra: 6:32pm On May 31, 2020
Ibadanpikin:
Mention any actors/actresses of those dramas abi films that are popular like pete edochie,nkem owoh,patience ozokwor,Genevieve,mr ibu,aki and papaw,chiwetalu agu etc.Can those dramas you mention compete with nollywood movies like igodo,ijele,blood money,most wanted,living in bondage etc

Hubert Ogunde
https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0644819/

Moses Olaiya
https://m.imdb.com/name/nm10619482/

Ade Love
https://m.imdb.com/name/nm2657204/

Just to name a few

2 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by Armaggedon: 6:33pm On May 31, 2020
Seerade029:

Lol. Stop saying everybody knew about them.

Maybe 5% or less, knew the movie called living in bondage.

I've never watched it b4, I only do hear it here on Nairaland.

All these movies you mentioned, I'm just hearing it for the first time
I didn't see "everybody" in my comment you quoted. BTW you don't need to watch it to know it was known all over the country.

1 Like

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by SLAP44: 6:34pm On May 31, 2020
OreMI22:
[s][/s]

Papa Ajasco and all these silly secondary school concerts were shot as Nollywood movies in 35mm films, transferred to VCD and DVD and sold as movies abi?abi?

Don't mind the revisionists that will never give credit to others for great achievements.

One day another one will tell me Yorubas has a senate president before Igbo grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by kayfra: 6:35pm On May 31, 2020
OreMI22:
[s][/s]

Papa Ajasco and all these silly secondary school concerts were shot as Nollywood movies in 35mm films, transferred to VCD and DVD and sold as movies abi?abi?

I'm sure if the first secondary school in Nigeria were in the SE, you guys will also list your Sunday School classes and try to claim it was the same. grin grin grin

The poor and wretched alaba economic migrants ruined the original Nigerian movie industry when they pirated every thing screened in cinemas. That ended the glorious days

Yorubas have claimed what is theres now and we rule all the awards and highest grossing movies.

Everything you guys touch gets rotten. They totally made Nigerian movie industry a mediocre industry with garbage production shot on camcorders. Utter nonsense

4 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by kayfra: 6:35pm On May 31, 2020
SLAP44:
Living in bondage started Nollywood.

All other films and series before it were mere rehearsal for the main event.

Igbo also had many videos before living in bondage but they don't count them because they were forerunners to Nollywood.

Living in bondage ko, living in diapers ni grin

3 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by naptu2: 6:37pm On May 31, 2020
J111333:
This thread will end in terrible tribal e-fight, I can feel it.

The afonja and ipob yoot crew are coming.

That's the reason that I hesitated before posting and it's also the reason that my question won't be answered. The Vice President knew exactly what he was talking about and most Nigerians know what he was talking about, but his words are going to be twisted here.

1 Like

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by SLAP44: 6:38pm On May 31, 2020
Armaggedon:
I didn't see "everybody" in my comment you quoted. BTW you don't need to watch it to know it was known all over the country.

Living in bondage started an unprecedented revolution in the country, thousands of men and women were picked off the streets and became actors overnight, hotels boomed, eateries soared, real estate boomed and entire sections of markets started selling only movies and films for the first time. Iweka road, Market road Aba, Idumota, Iwo road and Kaduna started receiving tons of new movies weekly.

That is the birth of Nollywood !

2 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by kayfra: 6:39pm On May 31, 2020
I mean is this even a serious question?

Lmao grin
Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by jimyjames(m): 6:39pm On May 31, 2020
kayfra:

Ask your parents. Ok scratch that. They were too poor to buy movie tickets or VHS players grin grin

Known of those movies are close to things fall apart , Igbo movies laid the foundation for nollywood , people all over the world who watch nollywood movies look forward to cultural movies by the Igbo's, I have heard black people from Haiti , Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago , African American etc say they love nollywood movies cause of the Igbo culture portrayed in them they say , the have learned a lot about African culture cause of those movies.

Yoruba movies are just like Hausa movies they are only watched by Yoruba's

3 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by Seerade029: 6:40pm On May 31, 2020
Armaggedon:

Lol, something that's not in the market and it's not popular.

If it were that popular in the west, so many people will know.
Ranging from bill board to poster etc.

There is no way I won't know.
Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by SLAP44: 6:41pm On May 31, 2020
kayfra:

Living in bondage ko, living in diapers ni grin

That was the first well organised movie that attracted international attention to Nigeria movie industry. That was the first film that put a name to movie actors and made them mega stars. grin

Living in bondage made thousands choose theater arts and subsequently blew to billionaire status.

2 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by Armaggedon: 6:42pm On May 31, 2020
SLAP44:

Living in bondage started an unprecedented revolution in the country, thousands of men and women were picked off the streets and became actors overnight, hotels boomed, eateries soared, real estate boomed and entire sections of markets started selling only movies and films for the first time. Iweka road, Market road Aba, Idumota, Iwo road and Kaduna started receiving tons of new movies weekly.

That is the birth of Nollywood !
living in bondage pioneered movie making as business!

1 Like

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by kayfra: 6:43pm On May 31, 2020
jimyjames:

Known of those movies are close to things fall apart , Igbo movies laid the foundation for nollywood , people all over the world who watch nollywood movies look forward to cultural movies by the Igbo's, I have heard black people from Haiti , Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago , African American etc say they love nollywood movies cause of the Igbo culture portrayed in them they say , the have learned a lot about African culture cause of those movies.

Yoruba movies are just like Hausa movies they are only watched by Yoruba's

Things fall apart is a popular Chinau Achebe book with a movie adaptation. The movie wasn't produced or directed by Nigerians and one of the lead actors is even Yoruba (Orlando Martins). The Director has a German sounding name and this is the imdb link

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0208779/

3 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by SLAP44: 6:44pm On May 31, 2020
Armaggedon:
living in bondage pioneered movie making as business!

Thank you. Most people wouldn't have considered reading theater arts till they saw living in bondage. It was the trigger for the business we call Nollywood today.

1 Like

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by kayfra: 6:45pm On May 31, 2020
SLAP44:

Thank you. Most people wouldn't have considered reading theater arts till they saw living in bondage. It was the trigger for the business we call Nollywood today.

Trash

If I get into theatre arts and playwrights then you won't even survive this argument. I stuck with movies but if you want me to bring traveling theatres then this will be a domination by the Afonjas

2 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by SLAP44: 6:46pm On May 31, 2020
kayfra:

Things fall apart is a popular Chinau Achebe book with a movie adaptation. The movie wasn't produced or directed by Nigerians and one of the lead actors is even Yoruba (Orlando Martins). The Director has a German sounding name and this is the imdb link

We loved things fall apart like we loved the village headmaster and a lot of its contemporaries, but they all have to belong to an era,

Living in bondage started an industry.

1 Like

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by kayfra: 6:46pm On May 31, 2020
SLAP44:

That was the first well organised movie that attracted international attention to Nigeria movie industry. That was the first film that put a name to movie actors and made them mega stars. grin

Living in bondage made thousands choose theater arts and subsequently blew to billionaire status.

It was trash. Disposable camcorder junk

Go watch any of those Ogunde or Baba Sala movies shot with expensive cameras and sets

2 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by kayfra: 6:49pm On May 31, 2020
SLAP44:

We loved things fall apart like we loved the village headmaster and a lot of its contemporaries, but they all have to belong to an era,

Living in bondage started an industry.

Living in Bondage popularised the cheap movie industry and began the death of the celluloid shot movies. It was no longer feasible to shoot expensive movies when the alaba traders were shooting straight to CD and pirating everything. It killed movie theaters and almost bankrupted Baba Sala and Ade Love

Thank God for the Yoruba Renaissance. Taking back what was ours angry grin

3 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by SLAP44: 6:49pm On May 31, 2020
kayfra:

Trash

If I get into theatre arts and playwrights then you won't even survive this argument. I stuck with movies but if you want me to bring traveling theatres then this will be a domination by the Afonjas

Baba, problem you people have is always claiming to be greatest in everything. its not healthy for making friends and maintaining relationships. Accept we started nollywood and save yourself this headache.

1 Like

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by Hoephase: 6:49pm On May 31, 2020
kayfra:

Trash

Why your body dey pepper you?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by Ibadanpikin: 6:50pm On May 31, 2020
Seerade029:

All these actors you're mentioning, few only knew them in the west.

I only know Genevieve and pawpaw.
Others I'm just hearing them for the first time, even the movies you mentioned.
That show u are an indomie kid,most of those actors/actresses have won a national award and are well known globally unlike yoruba local village champions that ends only on yoruba land.

2 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by jimyjames(m): 6:50pm On May 31, 2020
kayfra:

That's not the point, the point is Igbo movies paved the way for nollywood in fact , nollywood was build by Igbo cultural movies, Igbo movies introduced nollywood to the world.

1 Like

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by kayfra: 6:51pm On May 31, 2020
SLAP44:

Baba, problem you people have is always claiming to be greatest in everything. its not healthy for making friends and maintaining relationships. Accept we started nollywood and save yourself this headache.

We are the greatest in Nigeria. No doubt about that

We are pioneers and everyone and their dog knows the truth. Creating an alternate universe isn't going to make you competitive

3 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by kayfra: 6:51pm On May 31, 2020
Hoephase:

Why your body dey pepper you?

Lmao grin

1 Like

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by SLAP44: 6:53pm On May 31, 2020
kayfra:

Living in Bondage popularised the cheap movie industry and began the death of the celluloid shot movies. It was no longer feasible to shoot expensive movies when the alaba traders were shooting straight to CD and pirating everything. It killed movie theaters and almost bankrupted Baba Sala and Ade Love

Thank God for the Yoruba Renaissance. Taking back what was ours angry grin

That's a very disappointing statement from a tribalism tainted person. You have been making this argument just to feel superior, neglecting superior facts just to feel good even if you are lying.

That's why I hate arguing with you guys. You argue with bitterness because you think others wants to supplant you. It's very unhealthy.

1 Like

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by kayfra: 6:53pm On May 31, 2020
jimyjames:

That's not the point, the point is Igbo movies paved the way for nollywood in fact , nollywood was build by Igbo cultural movies, Igbo movies introduced nollywood to the world.

Bullsh!t

There was a good movie industry before the low budget productions is my point. If you call that low budget crap Igbo movies, then, yes. You can own Nollywood if it depicts low budget crap

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Christomegavision Films OMEGA VISION- Gospel Drama, Movies-supernatural / The Gotham Series Fan Club / Watch And Download The Theory Of Everything (2014)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.