Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,185 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:23 AM

Benin Influence On Yorubas - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benin Influence On Yorubas (4045 Views)

The Ijebu, The Yoruba And Their Influence On The Bible And Judaism / Benin influence on yorubas part 2 / How Islam Came Into Yoruba Land And It's Influence On Their Culture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by Edeyoung: 11:53pm On Jun 07, 2020
More

Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by TAO12: 4:00am On Jun 08, 2020
Edeyoung:
More

Gregyboy, aka Edeyoung, you've already been exposed on this.

Stop screenshoting from Edo blogs and passing them off as academic materials.

See link below for where you've been exposed in this regard:

https://www.nairaland.com/5894619/benin-influence-yorubas#90352242

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by davidnazee: 6:58pm On Jun 08, 2020
TAO12:

(1) I am glad you admitted that Aje (from Ibadan) and Ogedengbe (from Ilesa) independently slave-raided Benin Kingdom and sacked many of its territories around the 1800s grin

Moreover, Yorubas have [b]several distinct, sovereign and independent KINGDOMS with different kings of different hierrachy of importance.

So, stop painting the false narrative of Yoruba as one kingdom ruled by one king and protected by one military.[/b]

Having clarified that, Dahomey or Igala could never possibly raid even the tiniest Yoruba Kingdom. Dahomey was an Oyo-conquered foreign territory. Also, the only Kingdom I remember that Igala once raided was Benin Kingdom

The Nupe, on the other hand, could only possibly attack a kingdom which was still at its early infancy beginings with no significant level of political, economic, or military organization yet; or a frail frontier kingdom.

This is in sharp contrast to the independent raids of Benin Kingdom by different Yoruba subgroups at different times around the 1800s -- a time when Benin Kingdom has been well established for centuries grin

So your claim here ranges from a pure blatant lie, to a pained and disgraceful distortion. grin

As for civil war, should I remind you that Benin Kingdom was so ravaged and grounded by civil war to the extent that its capital was reduced to a mere village?? grin

This is despite the fact that there is only one Benin KINGDOM rising against itself grin, unlike the Yorubas where there are several distinct, sovereign and independent Kingdoms.

Do I have to mention the Nupe conquest of Benin Kingdom, or the quite recent Igbo slaughter of Benin Kingdom, or the recent threats from Ijaw about which your Omo N'Oba respected himself and avoided trespassing?? grin

(2) At a time when Yorubas already considered clothing to be essential and normal for many many centuries; so many of your Edo fore-parents (while adults) were still roaming Benin streets stark n@ked without showing any shame.

Refer to the following (also attached) from H. L Roth(1903), p.24.:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"... according to Dapper, "No man is allowed to wear any dress at all at court ... There are men at the King's court, twenty and twenty-four years old who without any semblance of shame go about naked, only wearing a chain of corals or jasper round their neck."

The statement continues as follows about your fore-mothers:

"Likewise, the women are not allowed to wear clothes, ... So you can see there, women of twenty and twenty-five years going along the streets perfectly nude without showing any shame."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your claim of selling cloth even makes everything worse for you and your 2by2 kingdom as this portrays your Edo fore-parents as very achaic and backward to the extent of thinking that wearing clothes was something luxurious and should be reserved to the King's family and much more older well to do men (and sometimes women).

In case you don't realize, many Yoruba kingdoms (of the coastal regions) were big time traders of European clothes. The Ijebus were particularly notable for clothing your people in an unprecedentedly large quantity.

Note: The more lies you come with, the more evidence I will counter you with, thereby exposing you and your 2by2 Kingdom to the Igbos and to the whole world. So any how you approach it, it's always you and Benin on the losing end. grin

Lilliput all this foolish narratives you keep throwing about doesn't sell.
I never potrayed Yoruba as one kingdom ruled by one ruler but rather as one race conquered (kingdom by kingdom, settlements by settlements) and ruled by Benin Kingdom for over 500years. If you will say the name of your tiny kingdom of origin I may find a detailed account of Benin conquest of your kingdom.

You can deny and glorify (your defeat) Dahomey, Igala and Nupe conquests of your ancestors.. History will not deny it lol..

As for clothing, Benin is known to have started production of wool clothings in this region, which they exported in bulk into Yorubalands clothing your ancestors.. Before Benin cloths came your ancestors were using palm leaves for cloth, Benin taught your ancestors textile clothing..
Ijebu came into the trade much later..
Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by TAO12: 7:25pm On Jun 08, 2020
davidnazee:

(1) Lilliput all this foolish narratives you keep throwing about doesn't sell.
I never potrayed Yoruba as one kingdom ruled by one ruler but rather as one race conquered (kingdom by kingdom, settlements by settlements) and ruled by Benin Kingdom for over 500years. If you will say the name of your tiny kingdom of origin I may find a detailed account of Benin conquest of your kingdom.

You can deny and glorify (your defeat) Dahomey, Igala and Nupe conquests of your ancestors.. History will not deny it lol..

(2) As for clothing, Benin is known to have started production of wool clothings in this region, which they exported in bulk into Yorubalands clothing your ancestors.. Before Benin cloths came your ancestors were using palm leaves for cloth, Benin taught your ancestors textile clothing..

(1) I have demonstrably debunked your empty claim and blatant lies about Dahomey, Nupe, Igala, and your self-deluded joke of Benin rule. grin cheesy

No wonder all you could do is to keep repeating the same empty self-deluding jokes without any historical substantiation.

Wait, is it the same Benin Kingdom which was slaughtered for fun by Ibadan, by Ilesa, by Owo, by Otun-Ekiti, by Nupe, by Igbo, etc., and whose King was beheaded by Isan?? Or is there another Benin Kingdom?? grin

(2) I have demonstrated with evidence how men and women in your 2by2 Kingdom roamed stark n@ked.

So, I'm not sure why you're still here clutching at straws.

In case, you're partially amnesiac, refer to the link below for a reminder of that demonstration:

https://www.nairaland.com/5894619/benin-influence-yorubas/1#90413189

Moreover, your ancestors produced no cloth. No wonder, your King regulated cloth wearing.

On the contrary, it was Ife, Oyo, Ijebu, Ekiti, Akoko, Igbomina, Iyagba, etc. who produced some of the clothes that were sold to your fore-parents in order to enable them cover their swinging dicks and boobs and also re-sell.

See quote below as well as attached. cheesy

"Among the Ekiti, Akoko and Igbomina, the spinning, dyeing and weaving of cotton was perhaps the most important industry of the women.* The strips of their cloths [i.e. the Ekiti’s, the Akoko’s, and the Ignomina’s, cloths] are much wider than the strips of the characteristic Oyo cloths ... .Theirs [i.e. the Akoko’s, the Ekiti’s, and the Igbomina’s] are of three types - the two-strip type (each strip being about two yards long and about one yard wide) called ikeji , the three-strip and four-strip types called iketa and ikerin respectively, ... .The ikeji was usually made for home consumption, while the iketa and ikerin were essentially meant for sale. In some parts, the ikerin is still referred to as aso-Adó - meaning 'Benin cloth' or 'cloth for Benin'."

Refer to gregyboy, aka Edeyoung, for reference. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by Obalufon: 2:00am On Aug 15, 2020
TAO12:

(1) I have demonstrably debunked your empty claim and blatant lies about Dahomey, Nupe, Igala, and your self-deluded joke of Benin rule. grin cheesy

No wonder all you could do is to keep repeating the same empty self-deluding jokes without any historical substantiation.

Wait, is it the same Benin Kingdom which was slaughtered for fun by Ibadan, by Ilesa, by Owo, by Otun-Ekiti, by Nupe, by Igbo, etc., and whose King was beheaded by Isan?? Or is there another Benin Kingdom?? grin

(2) I have demonstrated with evidence how men and women in your 2by2 Kingdom roamed stark n@ked.

So, I'm not sure why you're still here clutching at straws.

In case, you're partially amnesiac, refer to the link below for a reminder of that demonstration:

https://www.nairaland.com/5894619/benin-influence-yorubas/1#90413189

Moreover, your ancestors produced no cloth. No wonder, your King regulated cloth wearing.

On the contrary, it was Ife, Oyo, Ijebu, Ekiti, Akoko, Igbomina, Iyagba, etc. who produced some of the clothes that were sold to your fore-parents in order to enable them cover their swinging dicks and boobs and also re-sell.

See quote below as well as attached. cheesy

"Among the Ekiti, Akoko and Igbomina, the spinning, dyeing and weaving of cotton was perhaps the most important industry of the women.* The strips of their cloths [i.e. the Ekiti’s, the Akoko’s, and the Ignomina’s, cloths] are much wider than the strips of the characteristic Oyo cloths ... .Theirs [i.e. the Akoko’s, the Ekiti’s, and the Igbomina’s] are of three types - the two-strip type (each strip being about two yards long and about one yard wide) called ikeji , the three-strip and four-strip types called iketa and ikerin respectively, ... .The ikeji was usually made for home consumption, while the iketa and ikerin were essentially meant for sale. In some parts, the ikerin is still referred to as aso-Adó - meaning 'Benin cloth' or 'cloth for Benin'."

Refer to gregyboy, aka Edeyoung, for reference. cheesy
The were savages before we contact them

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by Obalufon: 2:08am On Aug 15, 2020
davidnazee:

Lilliput all this foolish narratives you keep throwing about doesn't sell.

As for clothing, Benin is known to have started production of wool clothings in this region, which they exported in bulk into Yorubalands clothing your ancestors.. Before Benin cloths came your ancestors were using palm leaves for cloth, Benin taught your ancestors textile clothing..

we clothed your forefathers, i can show you pictures as prove how savage your people were .. wool clothing in your jungle you are slow brained man .Retard ,maybe raffia clothing you mean ..Aso Oke Savannah region cloth .. Cotton is grown in Savannah region
Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by davidnazee: 1:13pm On Aug 15, 2020
Obalufon:
we clothed your forefathers, i can show you pictures as prove how savage your people were .. wool clothing in your jungle you are slow brained man .Retard ,maybe raffia clothing you mean ..Aso Oke Savannah region cloth .. Cotton is grown in Savannah region

And Yorubas were created wearing clothes abi? Your forefathers were also naked and savages..
My forefathers conquered and ruled vast lands of your forefathers..
Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by Obalufon: 1:12pm On Aug 16, 2020
You need pictures of your people naked..No clothing culture all you do tie rapper like priest of Ile ife cult and dressed Beads like Olokun .which is revered to your nobles alone in Benin. Our Deities are not naked..patron of White cloth Obatala
Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by Obalufon: 2:44pm On Aug 16, 2020
davidnazee:

And Yorubas were created wearing clothes abi? Your forefathers were also naked and savages..
My forefathers conquered and ruled vast lands of your forefathers..
Which part of Yoruba speaking land your Forefather Conquered..Oba of Benin is revered in Yoruba land through Royal supremacy not by War though the Oba had the right to mantain his Royal authority through war, no Yoruba nation has the right to march on Benin because the stool is revered ..Ogedenge could have invaded Benin during the kiriji but maintain the tradition
Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by Edeyoung: 3:58pm On Aug 16, 2020
Obalufon:
Which part of Yoruba speaking land your Forefather Conquered..Oba of Benin is revered in Yoruba land through Royal supremacy not by War though the Oba had the right to mantain his Royal authority through war, no Yoruba nation has the right to march on Benin because the stool is revered ..Ogedenge could have invaded Benin during the kiriji but maintain the tradition

Tribe full of coward your ancestors were weaklings we used for himan sacrifice
Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by Edeyoung: 4:01pm On Aug 16, 2020
[quote author=Obalufon post=92832704] The were savages before we contact them[/quote

You dont read, can you prove this your statement

I can prove your ancestors were weaklings

But prove benin were savage

I feel like mocking the yorubas this Sunday, i will useless any iota of seof entitlement the tribe carries,
Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by Etinosa1234: 6:32pm On Aug 16, 2020
[b][/b]
Obalufon:

This is wrong ....

The Oyo Empire tried to invade Benin but they didn't succeed.

Ogedengbe could never invade Benin when he had a civil war in his hands to fight....The best he could do was raids on the far part of the Empire to get slaves for which he could buy guns for the civil war
Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by Obalufon: 11:10pm On Aug 16, 2020
Etinosa1234:
[b][/b]

This is wrong ....

The Oyo Empire tried to invade Benin but they didn't succeed.

Ogedengbe could never invade Benin when he had a civil war in his hands to fight....The best he could do was raids on the far part of the Empire to get slaves for which he could buy guns for the civil war
When did Oyo try to invade Benin ..you newer of generation edos are brain dead you've been ibonized ..i will see you as savages as ibos ..your forefathers saw yoruba people as their kinsmen they traded between eachother ,coexisted but arrogancy and false pride has deluded you peoples mind..
Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by Obalufon: 11:34pm On Aug 16, 2020
Prove it Mr edo.. Yoruba race a weakenly is never in our DNA we are warring tribe, atleast you see tribal mark on our faces i believe you know the reason for us having tribal mark.. you want to compete with people that known as pride of black africa..British crushed Benin kingdom and hanged Benin chiefs in the presence of their people .. But Ijebu in the other went to war brutal war with British Imperial Army for a year after heavy lost in both side Ijebu submitted The Awujale resisted, but after much persuasion and pressure, the Awujale agreed in January 1892 on the terms of receiving £500 annually as compensation for the loss of custom revenue...
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) (Share)

1 Like

Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by Etinosa1234: 11:57pm On Aug 16, 2020
Obalufon:
When did Oyo try to invade Benin ..you newer of generation edos are brain dead you've been ibonized ..i will see you as savages as ibos ..your forefathers saw yoruba people as their kinsmen they traded between eachother ,coexisted but arrogancy and false pride has deluded you peoples mind..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyo_Empire

Go to the imperial section of the article

U jus dey spew rubbish

U think say na kids Dey here
Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by Etinosa1234: 12:00am On Aug 17, 2020
Obalufon:
Prove it Mr edo.. Yoruba race a weakenly is never in our DNA we are warring tribe, atleast you see tribal mark on our faces i believe you know the reason for us having tribal mark.. you want to compete with people that known as pride of black africa..British crushed Benin kingdom and hanged Benin chiefs in the presence of their people .. But Ijebu in the other went to war brutal war with British Imperial Army for a year after heavy lost in both side Ijebu submitted The Awujale resisted, but after much persuasion and pressure, the Awujale agreed in January 1892 on the terms of receiving £500 annually as compensation for the loss of custom revenue...
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) (Share)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ijebu_Ode

https://oldnaija.com/2019/04/04/the-british-ijebu-war-of-1892-the-battle-of-imagbon/

Bro at least u for talk the story complete na

The British used a machine gun that wasted every fuckin ijebu on the battlefield

The British army employed Maxim guns, according to the soldier-adventurer Frederick Lugard. In defending himself against charges of excessive death rates in Uganda from his own use of the gun, he stated: "On the West Coast, in the 'Jebu' war, undertaken by Government, I have been told 'several thousands' were mowed down by the Maxim. from lugard, cited by Cedric Pulford: Eating Uganda: From Christianity to Conquest, 1999, p. 147

Haba. Sufry Dey lie na
Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by Edeyoung: 12:12am On Aug 17, 2020
Obalufon:

I think you turn a blind eye when we debate d igbos, too d igbos will also say we have been yorubanise abi

Saying the truth makes one align with opposite tribe abi

Yoruba are still the closest to us than any non ediod tribe in nigeria but the yoruba friendship is now of parasitic relationship,

Let us tell our history d way it really was, if benin ife existed it will be glaring without controversy instead of forcing us to be yorubas and forcing our kings to be from ife......it will only breed hate from both tribe

We respect d yoruba people we see dem as friends not brothers our brothers are from the ediod tribe

Calling us brothers will be deceptive stance to milk us and glorify your tribe......

Lawani
Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by Obalufon: 3:10am On Aug 17, 2020
Edeyoung:

I think you turn a blind eye when we debate d igbos, too d igbos will also say we have been yorubanise abi

Saying the truth makes one align with opposite tribe abi

Yoruba are still the closest to us than any non ediod tribe in nigeria but the yoruba friendship is now of parasitic relationship,

Let us tell our history d way it really was, if benin ife existed it will be glaring without controversy instead of forcing us to be yorubas and forcing our kings to be from ife......it will only breed hate from both tribe

We respect d yoruba people we see dem as friends not brothers our brothers are from the ediod tribe

Calling us brothers will be deceptive stance to milk us and glorify your tribe......

Lawani
Your King lineage is from ile-ife accept it ,. calling you Yoruba is over hyping your ego
Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by Obalufon: 3:19am On Aug 17, 2020
Etinosa1234:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ijebu_Ode

https://oldnaija.com/2019/04/04/the-british-ijebu-war-of-1892-the-battle-of-imagbon/

Bro at least u for talk the story complete na

The British used a machine gun that wasted every fuckin ijebu on the battlefield

The British army employed Maxim guns, according to the soldier-adventurer Frederick Lugard. In defending himself against charges of excessive death rates in Uganda from his own use of the gun, he stated: "On the West Coast, in the 'Jebu' war, undertaken by Government, I have been told 'several thousands' were mowed down by the Maxim. from lugard, cited by Cedric Pulford: Eating Uganda: From Christianity to Conquest, 1999, p. 147

Haba. Sufry Dey lie na
atleast their chiefs were not hung like pigs ..people die in war they fought gallantly and reach a truce. that's intelligence..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by Edeyoung: 10:06am On Aug 17, 2020
Obalufon:
Your King lineage is from ile-ife accept it ,. calling you Yoruba is over hyping your ego

Please come with prove..... Biko

If i say owo is of benin monarch they must be prove to my words

Please an waiting for proves solid one, not the usual myth circulated on net

Over hyping our ego and we still donouncing it
Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by Etinosa1234: 11:46am On Aug 17, 2020
Obalufon:
atleast their chiefs were not hung like pigs ..people die in war they fought gallantly and reach a truce. that's intelligence..
Ur people were massacred in the ijebu war...The British used a Maxim gun to eliminate 900 of ur men...
But according to obalufon

atleast their chiefs were not hung like pigs ..people die in war they fought gallantly and reach a truce. that's intelligence

Perfect example of I'm in pains grin

Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by Etinosa1234: 11:47am On Aug 17, 2020
Edeyoung ... ask him where Oduduwa is from
Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by Obalufon: 12:19pm On Aug 17, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Ur people were massacred in the ijebu war...The British used a Maxim gun to eliminate 900 of ur men...
But according to obalufon

atleast their chiefs were not hung like pigs ..people die in war they fought gallantly and reach a truce. that's intelligence

Perfect example of I'm in pains grin
There were casualties in both side ijebu casualties might be higher war is war , a year War against British imperial army located in Lagos no be joke ..Awujale was compensated but you people let your Oba die in exile due to your low IQ ..You abandoned him to die in foreign land like a Slave
Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by Obalufon: 12:25pm On Aug 17, 2020
Edeyoung:

Owo and Benin are ILE-Ife monarch...You won't know that because you are lineage of slaves ,if you were Benin Royal you would know better
Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by Etinosa1234: 12:27pm On Aug 17, 2020
Obalufon:
there were casualties in both side ijebu casualties might be higher war is war , a year War against British imperial army located in Lagos no be joke ..Awujale was compensated but your let your Oba die in exile due to your low IQ you ,left to die in foreign land like a Slave

Lol... Obviously u didn't read the page I posted

Before the war, they were paid £500 for compensation...

Later in the end of the 19th century the British invaded the ijebu and inflicted a massacre on them
In the Benin invasion, the Benin killed all but two men for attempting to disobey tradition...

Goan read the Benin massacre
In the Benin invasion, the Benin fought hard against the British ..The only advantage the British had was superior weapons..Even at that
.. it took the British 10 days to get to the city

Hope I've educated u well enough and shown that ur ijebu are not as strong as u thought
Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by Obalufon: 12:37pm On Aug 17, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Later in the end of the 19th century the British invaded the ijebu and inflicted a massacre on them
In the Benin invasion, the Benin killed three White men for attempting to disobey tradition...

In the Benin invasion, the Benin fought hard against the British ..The only advantage the British had was superior weapons

Hope I've educated u well enough and shown that ur ijebu are not as strong as u thought
Okay your people fought to be held slaves to White people, they humiliated the thrown of Oba and killed your highly revered chiefs like dogs in town square of Benin Yoruba monarchs pleaded for your Oba he would have suffered the same fate .. ijebu fought and still preserved their pride and dignity of their land they are well read and civil
Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by Etinosa1234: 12:37pm On Aug 17, 2020
Edeyoung:

Guy...as he dey talk say Benin Na from Ile Ife...ask am where Oduduwa come from...

Do u know that Oduduwa has many myths of origin...dem nor even know which is true...
Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by Obalufon: 12:41pm On Aug 17, 2020
Etinosa1234:

In the Benin invasion, the Benin killed all but two men for attempting to disobey tradition...

Goan read the Benin massacre
In the Benin invasion, the Benin fought hard against the British ..The only advantage the British had was superior weapons..Even at that
.. it took the British 10 days to get to the city

10 days to get to Benin how long would it take to get to Benin ., laughing ..
Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by Etinosa1234: 12:44pm On Aug 17, 2020
Obalufon:
Okay your people fought to be held slaves to White people, they humiliated the thrown of Oba and killed your highly revered chiefs like dogs in town square of Benin Yoruba monarchs pleaded for your Oba he would have suffered the same fate .. ijebu fought and still preserved their pride and dignity of their land they are well read and civil

Obviously u are so deep in ignorance...

Wic yeye Yoruba monarch begged...The ones that were already. Deposed already
I'll be posting many sources on the ijebu expeditions

Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by Etinosa1234: 12:49pm On Aug 17, 2020
Obalufon crying: we fought to preserve our integrity

I guess preserving means surrendering grin

Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by Etinosa1234: 1:01pm On Aug 17, 2020
I can't find the remaining books but I guess this will do
Also go and Google abt imagbon and the war memorial

Now...what I want u to do

Show me where Yoruba monarch pleaded with British concerning the Benin invasion

And show proof to ur other accusations

Obalufon
Re: Benin Influence On Yorubas by Etinosa1234: 1:07pm On Aug 17, 2020
Obalufon...
Clearly u are trying to add that ijebu were not defeated ...Lol clown

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/war/british-ijebu.htm

https://litcaf.com/imagbon-war/

https://www.pulse.ng/gist/british-ijebu-war-how-a-christian-missionary-caused-the-expedition

I'll post many more links if u still prove to be unwise

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Weird People The World Would Never See Again / Suggest Good Igbo Movies On Youtube To Me please / Best Clubs And Restaurants In Lagos ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.