Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,487 members, 7,816,150 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:43 AM

Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? (27283 Views)

I Want To Be A Nurse But Have BSc In Microbiology / How Much Does A BSC Holder Earn As A University Non-Academic Staff? / Meet Onayemi Temitope Timothy, Hunter With Bsc. And Msc. In Criminology (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by phemmyfour: 2:41pm On Jun 02, 2020
topedoski:
I am currently a student in Ahmadu Bello University Zaria. I applied for Computer Science but I was offered Statistics. I had no other options than to go for it. I have been at home with no admission for 3 years and my junior brother would also be writing Jamb next year, so you see?

Well I discovered that I haven't really think about the course Statistics because I have always dreamt of being a computer scientist, I even learnt how to code while at home. But this statistics is like a new world to me. I want to know what and what I will be facing as a statistician, what kind of career field are available or open for someone who read statistics.
NCDC
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by paix(m): 2:41pm On Jun 02, 2020
topedoski:

Thanks for ur input Sir
Ur last line funny sha grin
Have you not heard or seen people with agric cert working in oil companies?
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by kyuniii(m): 2:44pm On Jun 02, 2020
NCDC
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by Gentle20love(m): 2:44pm On Jun 02, 2020
1. Beaureu of statistics
2. Nigerian Directorate of Employment (NDE)
3. Data Analyst and result interpreter
4. Measurement and Evaluation expert, etc.
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by ayuba070(m): 2:46pm On Jun 02, 2020
topedoski:
I am currently a student in Ahmadu Bello University Zaria. I applied for Computer Science but I was offered Statistics. I had no other options than to go for it. I have been at home with no admission for 3 years and my junior brother would also be writing Jamb next year, so you see?

Well I discovered that I haven't really think about the course Statistics because I have always dreamt of being a computer scientist, I even learnt how to code while at home. But this statistics is like a new world to me. I want to know what and what I will be facing as a statistician, what kind of career field are available or open for someone who read statistics.

Boss, which level are yhu now?
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by olayinkajnr(m): 2:47pm On Jun 02, 2020
topedoski:

I noticed the bolded too
We offer almost the same courses together

That will change once you get to 300L.

I am a Statistics graduate too and based in Zaria.

Statistics is applicable in any field (this means that job opportunities are much anywhere in the world). Like someone stated above, if it's in Nigeria, na with connection o. But you can work in any sector with your statistics degree.

Also, that doesn't stop you from being a computer scientist and they are similar. Very similar courses.
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by Inda2020: 2:52pm On Jun 02, 2020
Ah fah am currently studying statistics in 400L ABU wat abt u
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by Adekdammy: 2:53pm On Jun 02, 2020
you can work anywhere particularly places where they deal with figures and research like data analyst, tax.....
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by Pathfinder121: 2:54pm On Jun 02, 2020
That is a golden ticket you have there. Come out with strong 2.1 or 1.1. Do data analytics studies/certification on the side: SQL, R, Python, Tablue and get familiar with all statistical tools. Approach organizations for free work experience while in school.

If pepper rest, japa to Europe for Masters in big data management, AI, Machine learning or Data analytics. You will get offers while studying for your Masters.

Thank me later
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by AngelJennifer: 2:56pm On Jun 02, 2020
You can even do ICAN or ACCA after you degree and become a chartered accountant. With that you can work as a statistian and also as an accountant.
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by Sambai65(m): 2:59pm On Jun 02, 2020
You can work in Audit firm
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by Meritocracy: 3:00pm On Jun 02, 2020
You can work in bank
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by MUYEEKFIRST(m): 3:06pm On Jun 02, 2020
topedoski:

@ Owode market and Oja Ale
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by tunjilana: 3:11pm On Jun 02, 2020
Best advice for u

Pick up programming(python,R) and data science(U can target a post graduate degree in this) mostly available online

U will be shocked at the outcome....
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jun 02, 2020
topedoski:

You can become a data scientist coming from your statistics degree, once you do the right things at the right time, you'll be successful. The question you should be asking is not where can I work? The right question, is what should a graduate of statistics in the 21st century be able to do? what skills should he/she posses? Once you have those, the sky is your starting point.

So, pick up your phone and google about data science, and see the skills you need to become a data scientist, and start learning them without looking back. By now, you should be eating Microsoft Excel for food, start learning python, with these two you can never go wrong. and you don't need money or wait for school classes, everything you need is free and on the internet.

Data science is the new oil o, and people who are skilled in it will become the new moneybags, you're blessed, once you can put in the work, at the right time too.

Your degree from school will just be a status, the real determinant of success is what skill you have and what problem you're able to solve with that skill. I hope you understand this.

2 Likes

Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by abayimi567: 3:19pm On Jun 02, 2020
bro STATISTICS IS BROAD ocourse,very interesting course to study is just relatively lk computer science, well am a final year student studying statistics, well I HV seen best advice giving out here on wat u can relatively practicalise on so best of luck bro
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by Bimpe29: 3:26pm On Jun 02, 2020
Virtually, in all places of corporate and governmental organizations.

There's always a need for the expertise and services of statisticians to help drive through the planning, research and data management.
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by topedoski(m): 3:32pm On Jun 02, 2020
ayuba070:

Boss, which level are yhu now?

100 lvl
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by AntiWailer: 3:33pm On Jun 02, 2020
Data Analyst

Data Scientist

Computer Programmer

Business analyst.
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by Bluehill1051: 3:35pm On Jun 02, 2020
@topedoski You can work in a bakery
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by mexioni(m): 3:36pm On Jun 02, 2020
B.Sc statistics from UI, i work with an IT firm as an application tester. check my profile, i do a lot of other things too
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by omobacyprus(m): 3:40pm On Jun 02, 2020
Kenplay:
Am currently studying B.sc (ed ) statistics/computer. My plan is to go into consultancy in Business & Data Analysis after my NYSC.

If all you can think of is where to work after graduation then you are mentally lazy, even people who study Petroleum Engineering are still looking for work after 10 years of graduation.

Statistics degree doesnt stop you from being a programmer as they are both Numerical science, thats why my school combine both statistics and computer science. Most IT and programmer job the qualification they ask is to simply be a graduate in either mathematics, statistics or computer science
Physics too
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by shiwex: 3:40pm On Jun 02, 2020
Best answer /advice for you here that i have read is this . Almost similar to what i wanted to write .

They are hot cake now

Work as..
1..Data Sciencist
2..Machine Learning Engineers
3..Result Measurement
4..Knowledge and Learning experts
5..Monitoring and Evaluation experts
6..Financial Analyst
7..Data Analytics

Jobs in these field are blowing up right now, they cant get people to do them.... In uk , these guys are on minimum £450 a day. make sure you also learn stuff like SPSS/SAS/R and Rstudio. Not sure if these will still in market by the time you graduate but now Stats is big marfket. Right course my guy.....take the maths side of things serious
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by Thaddeus91: 3:41pm On Jun 02, 2020
As a data scientist or analyst your opportunities are endless. Just keep adding value by learning machine language and become an expert on using various statistical packages

1 Like

Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by Amaao: 3:47pm On Jun 02, 2020
Hello.

You can work in the following organization:
1.Banking Industry
2.Company ie.Flourmill, Nestle, Cowbell, Cement company.
3.State Accounting department and Federal ministries of budget and planning
4.Telcommunication industry
5.NBS etc.
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by Hotice085: 3:52pm On Jun 02, 2020
topedoski:

Plz this course is hotter then fire you can work ANYWHERE
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by Integrafamoo: 3:53pm On Jun 02, 2020
Spatialking has provided a better offer. I am a medical statistician. Continue with ur coding and register for a professional cert. Make statistics your plan B in order to have a degree.
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by gagadey(m): 3:57pm On Jun 02, 2020
Oboi na correct course u dey so!
Just find a way to get some monitoring and evaluation certificates after graduation and look forward to working with big companies and NGOs on M$E
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by saajus: 3:57pm On Jun 02, 2020
Wow. Hotcake. Since your dream is to become a computer scientist. Start teaching yourself Python, R, SAS and maybe SQL. They are easy languages to pick. With that, you can traject your career towards Data Science. A data Scientist is simply a Statistician who knows how to program a little bit. Data rules the world now and Statistics is one of the best fields to be right now. At least you can see how Facebook, Twitter, Instagram are controlling our minds today.
While your lecturers are teaching you those Linear regressions, classifications, Bayes, discrete maths, probabilities, don't study them to just pass, understand how they work in data. You will need the knowledge to solve real-life problems.

1 Like

Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by auwalyau: 3:57pm On Jun 02, 2020
B.Sc Statistics is a very good course. Go ahead with it. It has wide application, data analytics, Banking and Industry, Academia, etc.
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by sunbreaker: 4:22pm On Jun 02, 2020
Futuragetty:
Bachelors degrees dey like Waec now. And an Hausa man with Agric.econo degree is a director in CBN. so no worry. You fit work anywhere in Nigeria.

Animal farm is real!
yes,agric economist can work as banker or any financial institution. AE is a perfect course to study
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by chiefolododo(m): 4:25pm On Jun 02, 2020
Anywhere depending on who you know... You can be employed as a medical doctor at any hospital in the North

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Croatian Firefighters Respond To Emergency Just Before Rakitic Played Penalty / How To Look Busy At Work Without Really Working / Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.