Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,716 members, 7,809,710 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:43 PM

Succession Crisis Rocks NIIA Over Office Of Acting DG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Succession Crisis Rocks NIIA Over Office Of Acting DG (15709 Views)

Crisis In CCB As Kankia Rejects Appointment Of Acting Chairman / Soludo Takes Over ‘office Of Wife Of The Governor’ Building, Removes Signpost / US, UK Won’t Accept Buratai, Ex-service Chiefs As Ambassadors; Ex-NIIA DG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Succession Crisis Rocks NIIA Over Office Of Acting DG by Islie: 8:09am On Jun 03, 2020
• We’ll ensure right thing is done, pledges FG

A succession crisis has enveloped the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs (NIIA) Lagos over the appointment of an acting Director General.

The standard regulation on succession in the non-appointment of a substantive head of any Federal Government agency demands that the most senior officer takes over in acting capacity. It is a position recently confirmed in a memo by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Mr. Boss Mustapha.

But the outgoing Director General of the NIIA, Prof. Bukar Bukarambe on retirement had opted to hand over to a Grade Level 13 officer instead of the most senior officer on Grade Level 15, a development that has thrown the institute into crisis.

Daily Sun learnt that before the ex-DG retired, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had written to the management of the institute advising it to adhere to standard regulations in the appointment of an acting DG. But Bukarambe had breached this regulation by handing over the baton of the interim manager of the NIIA to Dr. Efem Ubi who is alleged to be on Grade Level 13, instead of Prof. Fred Aja Agwu who is on level 15.

It was learnt that the decision has not gone down well with staff and other concerned stakeholders as the agency has been factionalised. Last Wednesday a member of the NIIA governing council stormed the institute and created a scene while trying to ensure Dr. Ubi took over.

Daily Sun visited NIIA headquarters, yesterday, and met with Dr. Ubi who insisted that the immediate past DG handed over to him and that until there is a counter-instruction from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, he remains the acting DG.

“As you can see, there is no problem here. Everybody is doing his or her job without any issues. If I am asked to leave this office today, I will, because I am not fighting with anybody. But, until then, I will continue to discharge my duties conscientiously,” he said.

Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Mustapha Suleiman, said it was unfortunate that the crisis happened.

He said the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, upon the expiration of the tenure of the immediate past director-general of the NIIA, did not appoint anyone in acting capacity.

Said Suleiman: “The minister didn’t appoint anybody to act. There is a standard regulation about handing over in such a situation and that was what the ministry did; he conveyed the instruction as per that standard circular issued by the SGF (Secretary to the Government of the Federation) that you are supposed to handover to the most senior person as long as he or she does not have any disciplinary case. It is a very clear regulation.

“So, it is at the implementation level that if you have issues, you are supposed to get back to the ministry. These officials of NIIA didn’t do that. As far as I know and the minister knows, nobody reported what transpired. If there are issues, we don’t expect people within the agency to take the law into their hands and decide who is to be. They are supposed to refer back to the ministry and say these are the challenges we are having and the ministry will direct as appropriate.

“The regulation has to be applied. It has to be implemented, but it is left for the agency to inform the ministry formally about the status of the agency. We have written to them officially, so it is for them to report back and say this is what they have.”

Asked who would be responsible for the feedback, Suleiman said the agency has a structure, insisting that either the Governing Council or the administrative structure in the agency needed to confirm to the ministry, its challenges.

“Usually, what they should have done was to ask for the nominal roll, see who is the most senior, ask for the files of those who we believe or they believe had disciplinary cases and then, a decision will be conveyed to them. But all these up and down; you know they have already factionalised the agency which we learnt last week and which we are going to address this week definitely.”

On the involvement of a member of the governing council of the NIIA in the crisis, Suleiman said it was not a very good situation to have people really getting involved in an official situation and personalise it.

“That is why the official channel of communication should be respected. The ministry cannot just act because somebody is doing video on the street. There is a standard procedure for doing everything in government and NIIA is an institution of government. There are rules and regulations governing the institution; there are rules and regulations governing transactions within the institutions and they are all governed by government regulations,” Suleiman said.

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/succession-crisis-rocks-niia-over-office-of-acting-dg/

Re: Succession Crisis Rocks NIIA Over Office Of Acting DG by Racoon(m): 8:25am On Jun 03, 2020
Another lawlessness being entrenched.Perhaps the outgoing DG wants to keep the post jumping until it lands on the head of one of his own kinsmen down the ladder.
While the two poor fellas keep fighting themselves.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Succession Crisis Rocks NIIA Over Office Of Acting DG by atiku4President(m): 8:29am On Jun 03, 2020
If the Grade 15 officer has disciplinary issues, he is automatically disqualified from assuming position as Acting even though he is the next most senior officer. That is another aspect of the policy which they won't tell you.

7 Likes

Re: Succession Crisis Rocks NIIA Over Office Of Acting DG by MANNABBQGRILLS: 10:21am On Jun 03, 2020
• We’ll ensure right thing is done, pledges FG......
This is all that matters at this point in time...........and make sure you do it FAST!

God bless Nigeria.

truthfulparrot:
I think we are underestimating your powers and connections on Nairaland. Good morning my brother. I am really impressed with your write up these days. What has changed?
Okay.
Good morning.

livebyday:
You sound like you are ordering them to.. undecided
Sometimes I wonder
Okay too!

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Succession Crisis Rocks NIIA Over Office Of Acting DG by osamz007: 10:21am On Jun 03, 2020
Let them just appoint me and see the wonders I'll perform.

I will chop money beyond expectation grin
Re: Succession Crisis Rocks NIIA Over Office Of Acting DG by jaymejate: 10:22am On Jun 03, 2020
Are there no protocols to follow in choosing? Why jump someone who is in the right position to be the acting DG? He wants a puppet there and then be the puppeteer. The level 15 guy, from the article, has no disciplinary issue so he is the right person.

Don't come here and be shouting Favour of God o

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Succession Crisis Rocks NIIA Over Office Of Acting DG by sikiman: 10:24am On Jun 03, 2020
[s]
post=90260840:

This is all that matters at this point in time...........and make sure you do it FAST!

God bless Nigeria.
[/s]

4 Likes

Re: Succession Crisis Rocks NIIA Over Office Of Acting DG by fulaniHERDSman(m): 10:24am On Jun 03, 2020
angry
For us Nigerians, it's always about QUANTITY and never QUALITY.
Re: Succession Crisis Rocks NIIA Over Office Of Acting DG by visijo(m): 10:24am On Jun 03, 2020
Behind every successful man there is a woman.

If you need more success, increase the number of women��
Re: Succession Crisis Rocks NIIA Over Office Of Acting DG by money121(m): 10:24am On Jun 03, 2020
Ok
Re: Succession Crisis Rocks NIIA Over Office Of Acting DG by jospepper(m): 10:25am On Jun 03, 2020
Najeriya kenan,Kasan wuruwuru.

1 Like

Re: Succession Crisis Rocks NIIA Over Office Of Acting DG by asobo: 10:25am On Jun 03, 2020
Nigeria with skirmishes is like 5&6. The former DG is in the know of the rules that should apply but instead preferred to leave his former agency in disarray.

1 Like

Re: Succession Crisis Rocks NIIA Over Office Of Acting DG by SWORD419(m): 10:26am On Jun 03, 2020
God bless Nigeria
Some parastatals sha, u wont know them talkless of knowing thier importance

2 Likes

Re: Succession Crisis Rocks NIIA Over Office Of Acting DG by Decolonel(m): 10:27am On Jun 03, 2020
Politics everywhere. All these quest is to hustle for Shinzu money. Who thief pass na em be boss
Re: Succession Crisis Rocks NIIA Over Office Of Acting DG by AK481(m): 10:27am On Jun 03, 2020
From grade 15 to grade 13 , should have about 6 staffs.why the jump?

3 Likes

Re: Succession Crisis Rocks NIIA Over Office Of Acting DG by Runaway: 10:28am On Jun 03, 2020
I blame Buhari

1 Like

Re: Succession Crisis Rocks NIIA Over Office Of Acting DG by ThatFairGuy: 10:28am On Jun 03, 2020
Once some people assumes position of authority, they becomes mini god.
Re: Succession Crisis Rocks NIIA Over Office Of Acting DG by Okoroawusa: 10:28am On Jun 03, 2020
atiku4President:
If the Grade 15 officer has disciplinary issues, he is automatically disqualified from assuming position as Acting even though he is the next most senior officer. That is another aspect of the policy which they won't tell you.
I thought so too as I read the report. There is something those in NIIA didn't tell the reporter.

Let's the minister do what's best
Re: Succession Crisis Rocks NIIA Over Office Of Acting DG by mamaafrik(m): 10:32am On Jun 03, 2020
The crazy man is playing mind games with the South,las las they will give a Neutral Northerner in level 14 .
Awon oloshi dede

5 Likes

Re: Succession Crisis Rocks NIIA Over Office Of Acting DG by toffyz(m): 10:38am On Jun 03, 2020
Obviously, something is fishy about the agency
Re: Succession Crisis Rocks NIIA Over Office Of Acting DG by thundafire: 10:45am On Jun 03, 2020
Northerner oh shey is coming in
Re: Succession Crisis Rocks NIIA Over Office Of Acting DG by valentineuwakwe(m): 10:46am On Jun 03, 2020
last last...n.a. another Northern Muslim to take over!
Re: Succession Crisis Rocks NIIA Over Office Of Acting DG by AsawanaDgreat: 10:46am On Jun 03, 2020
Corruption things

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

President Tinubu Arrives Netherlands On State Visit / King Wasiu Ayinde Arabambi For Senator / 2015 Presidency: Count Me Out —fashola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.