Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,143 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:06 AM

Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? (1439 Views)

I Look Too Young And I Find It Hard To Relate With People / Can You Relate To Any Of These Photos? (Only The 80's Can Relate) / Hilarious Photos Of Men Shopping With Their Wives, Can You Relate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by etcme(m): 9:43am On Jun 03, 2020
Gone are the days.. When boys were real boys.
Rules of football when we were kids;

1. The fat kid was always the goalkeeper.

2. The owner of the ball decides who plays.

3. If you didn't participate in repairing the ball you were given a match ban.

4. The guy who's never picked was to fetch the ball from the trees or bush when it got stuck, under the car or tunnel to play in the next game.

5. When the owner of the ball got annoyed, game over.

6. When you hit your toes against a stone and you notice blood, you quickly cover the area of injury with sand as a form of first aid and play continues.

7. You can't dribble the owner too much, this may lead him to stop the game by taking away his ball.

8. No matter how many goals you scored, the winner would be determined by the last team to score.

9. No offsides.

10.There is no referee.

11.There is fault only if the fault is serious.

12.The 2 best players can not play in the same team so everyone chooses their players.

13.If you are chosen last it is a humiliation and you will remain in defense.

14.If there is a penalty the goalkeeper is replaced by the best player of the team.

15.The best player on the field is always in the same team as the owner of the ball.

16.To differentiate the teams, one of the teams pulls off their shirts.

17.There is always a house where when the ball fell there, we knew that the game was over. so be careful !!

18.Game over when its dark and we can barley see the ball, we all disperse in groups teasing one another until we get home to face another punishment from our parents.

Share yours!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by MrBachelor: 9:56am On Jun 03, 2020
Picture of how we always look after our "El Classico" cool

We were never deterred by the punishment we usually received afterwards.

We damned the consequences as we always returned the next day, and the day after that, same way and assumed same postures awaiting same disciplinary measures.

We were legends!!!
grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by Nobody: 10:04am On Jun 03, 2020
grin
Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by Professorcplus(m): 10:37am On Jun 03, 2020
Hmm. It took me a while to know the street post is called "mocking post" and not "monkey post"

Lots of slangs like allow, set, ojoro, lastman, ege.

More fun when under the rain.

The most skillful player get automatic ticket to play.

5 Likes

Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by johhbekeboh09: 6:07pm On Jun 03, 2020
Then we call it :

*penarity not penalty

*lefree not refree

*all shots that went outside the net the 2 goal posts and the bar we call it 'over the bar'
Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by sisisioge: 7:26pm On Jun 03, 2020
grin grin grin grin grin

I can actually relate. For some weird reason I played football for a bit while growing grin
Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by bukatyne(f): 7:33pm On Jun 03, 2020
MrBachelor:

We damned the consequences as we always returned the next day, and the day after that, same way and assumed same postures awaiting same disciplinary measures.

We were legends!!!
grin

@bold:

What made you not afraid of punishment?
Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jun 03, 2020
grin
Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by Hathor5(f): 7:36pm On Jun 03, 2020
MrBachelor:

We were legends!!!
grin

grin grin grin
Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by bukatyne(f): 7:44pm On Jun 03, 2020
I am going to sound like a spoilsport

BUT:

If a boy damned all consequences & punishment and played ball everyday, and did whatever he wanted to do everyday, why do you think he will grow into a respectful adult?

If he really liked to play ball, why didn't he learn to negotiate with his parents or release the outlet for football in other ways?

Why do you think he will respect you or care about your feelings to the detriment of inconveniencing himself or point of sacrificing something of value?

We aren't ready to change the narrative of men/women relations in Nigeria cheesy

Let's keep ranting online. wink

1 Like

Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by Harllaby: 7:51pm On Jun 03, 2020
As a kid we form ball using newspapers and papertape. Also we played four post, one touch grin
Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by Ishilove: 8:17pm On Jun 03, 2020
johhbekeboh09:
Then we call it :

*penarity not penalty

*lefree not refree

*all shots that went outside the net the 2 goal posts and the bar we call it 'over the bar'

I don't know if you grew up in Anambra but the boys around me here in Lagos called it 'refree'
Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by Ishilove: 8:18pm On Jun 03, 2020
bukatyne:

@bold:

His quest for 'legend' status, apparently.

1 Like

Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by Mariangeles(f): 8:31pm On Jun 03, 2020
bukatyne:

@bold:

Seriously?

You take everything too seriously! cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by bukatyne(f): 10:12pm On Jun 03, 2020
Ishilove:

His quest for 'legend' status, apparently.

grin
Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by bukatyne(f): 10:14pm On Jun 03, 2020
Mariangeles:

Seriously?

You take everything too seriously! cheesy

Of course, I take everything seriously.

Every training you received formed Mariangeles of today.

So even the tiniest input is important.
Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by Mariangeles(f): 10:19pm On Jun 03, 2020
bukatyne:

Of course, I take everything seriously.

Every training you received formed Mariangeles of today.

So even the tiniest input is important.

Is your name bukatyne for real? grin

2 Likes

Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by bukatyne(f): 10:21pm On Jun 03, 2020
Mariangeles:

Is your name bukatyne for real? grin

A combo of my names.

Do you think I would pick a moniker that doesn't speak to me? cheesy
Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by Mariangeles(f): 10:25pm On Jun 03, 2020
bukatyne:

A combo of my names.

Do you think I would pick a moniker that doesn't speak to me? cheesy

Are your names Bukola Tina? cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by bukatyne(f): 10:52pm On Jun 03, 2020
Mariangeles:

Maybe, Maybe Not. grin
Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by MrBachelor: 11:19pm On Jun 03, 2020
bukatyne:

@bold:

It's not like we weren't afraid, but for some reasons we always forgot we'd be punished until after we were done playing. grin

It's on the way home, just a few blocks from the house before it'll dawn on us that we've "sinned" and penance awaited us.

1 Like

Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by MrBachelor: 11:41pm On Jun 03, 2020
bukatyne:
I am going to sound like a spoilsport

BUT:

If a boy damned all consequences & punishment and played ball everyday, and did whatever he wanted to do everyday, why do you think he will grow into a respectful adult?

If he really liked to play ball, why didn't he learn to negotiate with his parents or release the outlet for football in other ways?

Why do you think he will respect you or care about your feelings to the detriment of inconveniencing himself or point of sacrificing something of value?

We aren't ready to change the narrative of men/women relations in Nigeria cheesy

Let's keep ranting online. wink

Your argument is flawed on all grounds, pun intended.

That a boy finds joy in doing things boys his age enjoyed doing, undeterred by the possibility of him being punished for it, is not sufficient reason to conclude that such a boy will grow up into a disrespectful adult who has no regards for people's feelings.

Such line of reasoning is both myopic and fallacious.

At the risk of sounding vain, I grew up to be a very well behaved, respectful and concietious adult. I am an altruistic, fair and kind gentleman.

Once more, my friend, your assertion is very flawed.

5 Likes

Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by Ishilove: 12:11am On Jun 04, 2020
Mariangeles:

Hahahahahahahah!! cheesy

I don't know why whenever I see bukatyne's username my mind flies to all these bukas that sell cat fish peppersoup and nkwobi. undecided
Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by Ishilove: 12:12am On Jun 04, 2020
MrBachelor:

Your argument is flawed on all grounds, pun intended.

That a boy finds joy in doing things boys his age enjoyed doing, undeterred by the possibility of him being punished for it, is not sufficient reason to conclude that such a boy will grow up into a disrespectful adult who has no regards for people's feelings.

Such line of reasoning is both myopic and fallacious.

At the risk of sounding vain, I grew up to be a very well behaved, respectful and concietious adult. I am an altruistic, fair and kind gentleman.

Once more, my friend, your assertion is very flawed.
I can't see the pun here

1 Like

Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by MrBachelor: 6:59am On Jun 04, 2020
Ishilove:

I can't see the pun here

I can't help you with that, sorry. smiley

1 Like

Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by Mariangeles(f): 7:50am On Jun 04, 2020
Ishilove:

Hahahahahahahah!! cheesy

I don't know why whenever I see bukatyne's username my mind flies to all these bukas that sell cat fish peppersoup and nkwobi. undecided
grin
Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by johhbekeboh09: 4:36pm On Jun 13, 2020
Ishilove:

I don't know if you grew up in Anambra but the boys around me here in Lagos called it 'refree'
grin
Ishilove:

@ishilove
The reason we spoke those jargon words was due to our ignorance because we were at the infancy of learning to speak english language.....smiles
Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by johhbekeboh09: 1:47pm On Oct 30, 2020
Ishilove:

In my case,reasons for wrong pronounciations then was due to:

*sports vocabulary not popular

*English was not widely spoken then as now etc.
Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by pozehnani(f): 6:58pm On Oct 30, 2020
I'm not a guy but I don't know why this got me laughing so hard. Lol...
Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by pozehnani(f): 7:00pm On Oct 30, 2020
MrBachelor:

We were legends!!!
grin

This set are the erekpa United group. Lol..
Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Nov 01, 2020
India beat Nigeria 99-1 and the player that scores the lone goal died on the field cheesy
Re: Childhood Memory... Can You Relate? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Nov 01, 2020
And Okocha taught Ronaldinho how to dribble and do leg over.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Did You Achieve Financial Freedom This Year?? / US-based Woman Bewails Uncompleted House Brother Built For Her In Nigeria / Young Boy In Tears As He Shows Condition Of His Family Of Seven Who Lives In One

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.