Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,609 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:05 AM

Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond - Investment (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond (11920 Views)

GEJ's Reckless Spending Causes Investors To Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond / Nigeria’s $500m Eurobond Yield More Than Ghana’s,jp Morgan Implies / Nigeria Plans $500 Million Eurobond Issue This Week - Discuss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond by DeeJay20: 11:13am On Jan 24, 2011
kulutempa:

One more thing.  The writer of that FT article is obviously clueless as far as his knowledge of bond yields is concerned.  The coupon rate is the interest rate the bond initial pays on issue and it is given in the name of the bond.  So the Ghanaian 8.50% 10 year sovereign bond, would have a coupon of 8.50% if you bought it when it was first issued in September 2007, before its price began to fluctuate in the bond market.  After a bond has been successfully issued, its price begins to fluctuate in the secondary bond market in response to the market forces of supply and demand and as the prices changes every day, so does the yield which depends on the prices paid for the bonds.  This is what is known as the running yield and it is completely different from the coupon rate.   I am really surprised that  a writer for a reputable financial publication like the FT could have made such a fundamental error by comparing the running yield on the Ghanaian 10 year bond to the coupon rate on the newly issued Nigerian 10 year bond.  It is simply inexcusable even for a first year finance undergraduate.

Dude u need to close your mouth and stop chatting smack,

FT People know EXACTLY what they are doing,
Re: Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond by snthesis(m): 11:16am On Jan 24, 2011
love d healthy discussion  smiley smiley smiley ---i tink i just activated a brain cell grin grin grin tongue

my humble uncouth rejoinder tongue tongue- the "NEXT" article  has been proven wrong, the bonds were clearly oversubscribed not shunned.
Re: Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond by ENZOSCIFO1: 11:18am On Jan 24, 2011
@Kulutempa
hmmm interesting read though I have my reservations about the source. Lets leave that for now at least until oga Deejay, goes away. te guy seems to be spoiling for a fight fromany and every corner.

Will be here again in about 2hrs-3.
nice meeting you.

@ Deejay don't come and wait for me o! wink
Re: Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond by Katsumoto: 11:32am On Jan 24, 2011
kulutempa:

Mr Jingles, if there is one thing I don't like it is people making bare assertions without any evidence to back it up.   The return required by debt  (bond)holders is found by applying the CAPM, as it is the basis of an analysis of the cost of debt capital.  Enquiring minds may want to read more about the subject on this link:   http://www.quickmba.com/finance/cf/  and in particular this statement in the paragraph headed Cost of Capital:

The cost of capital is the rate of return that must be realised in order to satisfy investors. The cost of  debt capital is the return demanded by investors in the firm's debt; this return is largely related to the  interest the firm pays on its debt.

Dissenting minds should provide their evidence to the contrary, or forever hold their peace.  Thank you.

The expected rate of return = Risk-free rate of return + Beta (systematic risk) X Premium

Using the above formula, what is the risk-free rate of return if you are tring to find the rate of return for a bond (your argument). Please do not point me to a link; use your own words.

See below for Cost of Capital from the link you provided. Where did you see bond being referred to in the link you provided?
'D cost of capital is the rate of return that must be realized in order to satisfy investors. The cost of debt capital is the return demanded by investors in the firm's debt; this return largely is related to the interest the firm pays on its debt. In the past some managers believed that equity capital had no cost if no dividends were paid; however, equity investors incur an opportunity cost in owning the equity of the firm and they therefore demand a rate of return comparable to what they could earn by investing in securities of comparable risk.'
Re: Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond by Katsumoto: 11:52am On Jan 24, 2011
ENZO SCIFO:

@Kulutempa
hmmm interesting read though I have my reservations about the source. Lets leave that for now at least until oga Deejay, goes away. te guy seems to be spoiling for a fight fromany and every corner.

nice meeting you.

The debt in the article is the loan the company pays to finance itself. The cost of capital is a simplistic substitute for Weighted Average Cost of Capital (WACC). When you start a start a new company, you can only finance your company with debt and equity. Debt is the loan from the bank and equity (loans from shareholders). The ratio OF DEBT to EQUITY is usually industry dependent. Manufacturing usually requires a higher debt ratio than say a management consultancy.

The nominal cost of debt must be less than shareholder's expected return. Prospective investors use the WACC to ascertain whether the returns from the company matches its expectations. A company that has a debt ratio higher than the industry average is likely to return less than similar companies ceteris paribus. WACC is the rate used by investors or campanies in determining whether investing in a company will yield a required rate of return or by companies to ascertain whether a project will be profitable. WACC is the rate used in NPV. WACC is used for equities and never for bonds.

You can see further explanation of the WACC in the link provided by Kulutempa.
Re: Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond by mrjingles(m): 11:59am On Jan 24, 2011
Kulutempa I've read the link but you miss my point. I am referring to using the CAPM to value government bonds not corporates, the govt bond your trying to value is itself the rf rate-circumlocution. Besides, the major weakness of CAPM is the belief that it can be used to value ANY asset while in practice it lends itself only to equities because the beta of a bond (corporate or sovereign) would be difficult to determine since the market portfolio for bonds has no representative index.
The reason is that bonds mostly trade over the counter and given the myriad issues of bonds, constructing a market portfolio would be too expensive to be worth it. The inability to observe and measure a true market portfolio is the reason why it is used mostly to value equities due to the ease of using a stock index as a proxy for the market portfolio.

CAPM assumes you can value ANY asset with the model (including real estate, commodities etc) but this is clearly impractical for same reason you cant use to value bonds- observing and measuring the market portfolio is impractical. Lets separate theory from realistic applicability.

Why go through the pain of valuing bonds with capm when better and more reasonable approaches abound. Better use a YTM or relative price approach than using a an appraoch that looks good on paper but cannot be applied in practice.
Re: Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond by DeeJay20: 12:23pm On Jan 24, 2011
ENZO SCIFO:

@Kulutempa

nice meeting you.

@ Deejay don't come and wait for me o! wink

Look at all of you "spewing out your technical Non - essentials"

All of you sounding soo intellectual and smart!!!

Ohh the bond is over-subsribed!!! OH WHOOPIEEE WE SHOULD ALL START DANCING!!!

OF COURSE IS GONNA BE OVER-SUBSCRIBED!!!,

Who does not like a "Free-Lunch"?

Who does not like taking a country like Nigeria for the suckers they are!!!

Thats the result of not growing up with the "Real Thieves" you never
know when they are screwing you in the As****
Re: Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond by DeeJay20: 12:35pm On Jan 24, 2011
mrjingles:

Kulutempa I've read the link but you miss my point. I am referring to using the CAPM to value government bonds not corporates, the govt bond your trying to value is itself the rf rate-circumlocution. Besides, the major weakness of CAPM is the belief that it can be used to value ANY asset while in practice it lends itself only to equities because the beta of a bond (corporate or sovereign) would be difficult to determine since the market portfolio for bonds has no representative index.
The reason is that bonds mostly trade over the counter and given the myriad issues of bonds, constructing a market portfolio would be too expensive to be worth it. The inability to observe and measure a true market portfolio is the reason why it is used mostly to value equities due to the ease of using a stock index as a proxy for the market portfolio.

CAPM assumes you can value ANY asset with the model (including real estate, commodities etc) but this is clearly impractical for same reason you cant use to value bonds- observing and measuring the market portfolio is impractical. Lets separate theory from realistic applicability.

Why go through the pain of valuing bonds with capm when better and more reasonable approaches abound. Better use a YTM or relative price approach than using a an appraoch that looks good on paper but cannot be applied in practice.

mrjingles mrjingles mrjingles!!!

Cant you use one sentence to get to your point,

Why all this detail!!!
Re: Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond by DeeJay20: 1:07pm On Jan 24, 2011
O.K since all of you dont seem to have a clue who is going to be owning
your debt, i guess i try and give you guys a hint,

Sometime in late last year on a dry Autmn day,

Well not too long ago[b] a group of men in New York[/b] got together and decided that we need to Print more Dollars and throw it over board in various
third-world and emerging market countries,

So these men said "we need to come up with a new[b] "financial Hustle",,,[/b]
Hmm so what should we call it? ermmm they said "lets call it QE2!

QE2 QE2 QE2! OH YEAH, that great, how many dollars should we print

errmm they said, "lets print $600 billion" and then give it out to our
banking buddies in New York, London, Frankfurt and tell them to go on a
shopping spree and buy up "Minerals", "Energy Resource" "Industry", "Govt Bonds of Oil Producing Countries" etc,

Hmm they said, this is a win win game,

oh but what if they cant pay back their Bond-issue?

Ah we go back to our old formula and tell them we want a "grin.F.E.S" No arguements allowed!

hmmm they said a D.F.E.S., that a good play,

So who do we target for this hustle?

Well i guess we cant catch those B.R.I.C Boys because they are too wise to our schemes!

Well if we cant get them B.R.I.C Boys lets go for those E.R.R.A.C's,

OH YEAH THEY ALL SAID, WE CAN ALWAYS RELY ON THEM TO TAKE THE BAIT!!!!

And besides we have[b] Embedded Chips[/b] inside thier "Shoulders" these days Whoopie!!!

And so they went on their way to financially defraud those Gullible E.R.R.A.C's!!!

And whats the moral of the story,

those who do not learn from history are always doomed to repeat it!!!
Re: Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond by mrjingles(m): 1:09pm On Jan 24, 2011
^^Had to break it down to avoid confusion. I take it you agree with me, unbelievable! Deejay sees good in me! o praise the Lawd! grin
Re: Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond by babaogun(m): 1:15pm On Jan 24, 2011
@DeeJay20:
Do you mean to say Brazil and Russia have not issued EuroBonds?
Re: Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond by DeeJay20: 1:26pm On Jan 24, 2011
babaogun:

@DeeJay20:
Do you mean to say Brazil and Russia have not issued EuroBonds?

Oh Hallelujah!!! finally a man that replies me that is using his
Wonderful Nigerian Brain,

Brazil & Russia have issued Euro-bonds in the "Very Recent Past" but
i guess they would not be issuing any time soon in the near future if they
value their Economic skin!!! they got their
hands seriously injured playing with those Financiall Instruments, !!!

Russia got burnt/injured in 1998 (Google it)

Brazil got Burnt/injured through out the 1980's,

COUNTRIES PRESENTLY GETTING BURNT/INJURED IN THE EURO-BOND MARKETS

GREECE

IRELAND

LATIVA

ICELAND

COUNTRIES ON THE "TO BE BURNED/INJURED LIST"

SPAIN

PORTUGAL,
Re: Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond by Katsumoto: 1:36pm On Jan 24, 2011
DeeJay20:

Oh Hallelujah!!! finally a man that replies me that is using his
Wonderful Nigerian Brain,

Brazil & Russia have issued Euro-bonds in the "Very Recent Past" but
i guess they would not be issuing any time soon in the near future if they
value their Economic skin!!! they got their
hands seriously injured playing with those Financiall Instruments, !!!

Russia got burnt/injured in 1998 (Google it)

Brazil got Burnt/injured through out the 1980's,

COUNTRIES PRESENTLY GETTING BURNT/INJURED IN THE EURO-BOND MARKETS

GREECE

IRELAND

LATIVA

ICELAND

COUNTRIES ON THE "TO BE BURNED/INJURED LIST"

[b]SPAIN

PORTUGAL, [/b

I am not following your argument any more; are you suggesting that it is wrong for governments to raise funds through bonds?

and please drop the condescending tone; it doesn't make your argument any more intelligent.
Re: Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond by babaogun(m): 1:37pm On Jan 24, 2011
@DeeJay20:
So what do you think is getting their fingers burnt?

Me thinks they were borrowing too much and not necessarily the use of EuroBonds.
Italy is 7th largest economy in the world in GDP terms and they have borrowed more than 115% of GDP. Italy still raised 12bn Euro in December 2010.

Nigeria is one of the least leveraged countries (<20% of GDP) in the world unlike all the countries you listed who are borrowing at close to or even more than their GDP.
We are aware of the terms and conditions and this borrowing does not interfere with our sovereignty. We only have problems if we can't meet up with payments.
Re: Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond by DeeJay20: 2:50pm On Jan 24, 2011
Katsumoto:

I am not following your argument any more; are you suggesting that it is wrong for governments to raise funds through bonds?

and please drop the condescending tone; it doesn't make your argument any more intelligent.

Why are you so bothered with Intelligence and can not see the Big Picture,

The Truth is simple, those that know it and are determine to hide it from you
desire to make it complex.

and in reference to "condescending tone" GROW UP!!!

There is a war going on for your countries Reources & wealth,
and if you dont know, now you know!!! Finance and Debt ie Bonds is
a tool of that war!!!
Re: Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond by DeeJay20: 3:10pm On Jan 24, 2011
babaogun:

@DeeJay20:
So what do you think is getting their fingers burnt?

Me thinks they were borrowing too much and not necessarily the use of EuroBonds.
Italy is 7th largest economy in the world in GDP terms and they have borrowed more than 115% of GDP. Italy still raised 12bn Euro in December 2010.

Nigeria is one of the least leveraged countries (<20% of GDP) in the world unlike all the countries you listed who are borrowing at close to or even more than their GDP.
We are aware of the terms and conditions and this borrowing does not interfere with our sovereignty. We only have problems if we can't meet up with payments.

Dude, you need to read my post very carefully
do some research and get back to me as we are not on the same wave-length

I warned every-body at the beginning of my post to be careful when
you step to counter my position.

I understand the inner and outer workings of "the International Bond-Market"

Having worked for JPM. GS, no-one soo far has asked the Golden-Question,

Read my post carefull and then when you have sufficient understanding get back to me,

My post on,

« #136 on: Today at 01:07:40 PM »
Re: Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond by babaogun(m): 3:14pm On Jan 24, 2011
@DeeJay20:
Please explain to me how the BRIC nations got their fingers burnt!!!
Thank you in advance.
Re: Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond by DeeJay20: 3:17pm On Jan 24, 2011
babaogun:

@DeeJay20:
Please explain to me how the BRIC nations got their fingers burnt!!!
Thank you in advance.

Cant you use Google, why are you guys sooo lazy!!!!
Re: Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond by ADint(m): 3:24pm On Jan 24, 2011
@DeeJay20

What better alternative(s) would you suggest for a country to raise funds?
Re: Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond by babaogun(m): 3:52pm On Jan 24, 2011
He's searching google!!!
Re: Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond by Katsumoto: 4:08pm On Jan 24, 2011
DeeJay20:

Why are you so bothered with Intelligence and can not see the Big Picture,

The Truth is simple, those that know it and are determine to hide it from you
desire to make it complex.

and in reference to "condescending tone" GROW UP!!!

There is a war going on for your countries Reources & wealth,
and if you dont know, now you know!!! Finance and Debt ie Bonds is
a tool of that war!!!

Ok, carry on with the condescending tone but at least answer the question, 'are you stating that raising funds through bonds is fiscal irresponsibility on the parts of the governments that do so?' If that is your arguement, then please state why you hold such a view. The 'someone powerful somewhere' theory is intellectual laziness.

You listed a few countries that have/had issues with bond issues and repayment. Start by telling us how they were short-changed.
Re: Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond by Katsumoto: 4:38pm On Jan 24, 2011
DeeJay20:

Dude, you need to read my post very carefully
do some research and get back to me as we are not on the same wave-length

I warned every-body at the beginning of my post to be careful when
you step to counter my position.

I understand the inner and outer workings of "the International Bond-Market"

Having worked for JPM. GS, no-one soo far has asked the Golden-Question,

Read my post carefull and then when you have sufficient understanding get back to me,

My post on,

« #136 on: Today at 01:07:40 PM »

Let me have a go at what you are having difficulty explaining. With QE2, there were fears that extra cash from the US would find its way to the stock markets of emerging countries in Asia and Latin America. What has emerged however, is that Asian countries are showing signs of higher inflation, rising interest rates, and slowing growth but this is because Asian countries have had near double-digit growth in the past couple of years while the rest of the world was struggling. Contrast that with demand for high-yielding assets in Latin America. See emergingmarketmonitor.com and FT.com for more information.

Now having said that, that position is different for bonds because unlike the stock market, a country requests the extra cash that goes into its economy through the bond issue and as such, it is the responsibility of that country to ensure that it can deal with the inflation that may arise from the extra liquidity which is not the case for additional liquidity through direct foreign investments in the stock market. WHen a country fears that additional liquidity from foreign sources can cause inflation issues, it can introduce some kind of tax to limit such liquidity similar to what Brazil did after QE2.
Re: Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond by sulad82i(m): 10:52pm On Jan 24, 2011
I would not buy it too. even if my financial manager decides to do it behind my back. . . he is fired!
Re: Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond by queensmith: 1:16am On Jan 25, 2011
snthesis:

love d healthy discussion  smiley smiley smiley ---i tink i just activated a brain cell grin grin grin tongue

my humble uncouth rejoinder tongue tongue- the "NEXT" article  has been proven wrong, the bonds were clearly oversubscribed not shunned.

but isnt the Ft article is basically saying the exact same thing?? forgive me even my own brain is razzled!! lmao
Re: Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond by fstranger1: 1:19am On Jan 25, 2011
queensmith:

but isnt the Ft article is basically saying the exact same thing?? f[b]orgive me even my own brain is razzled[/b]!! lmao

Of course!

Tele nko

Ode
Re: Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond by DeeJay20: 2:20pm On Jan 25, 2011
Katsumoto:

Let me have a go at what you are having difficulty explaining. With QE2, there were fears that extra cash from the US would find its way to the stock markets of emerging countries in Asia and Latin America. What has emerged however, is that Asian countries are showing signs of higher inflation, rising interest rates, and slowing growth but this is because Asian countries have had near double-digit growth in the past couple of years while the rest of the world was struggling. Contrast that with demand for high-yielding assets in Latin America. See emergingmarketmonitor.com and FT.com for more information.

Now having said that, that position is different for bonds because unlike the stock market, a country requests the extra cash that goes into its economy through the bond issue and as such, it is the responsibility of that country to ensure that it can deal with the inflation that may arise from the extra liquidity which is not the case for additional liquidity through direct foreign investments in the stock market. WHen a country fears that additional liquidity from foreign sources can cause inflation issues, it can introduce some kind of tax to limit such liquidity similar to what Brazil did after QE2.

QE2, is just a way by which the US Federal Reserve is giving money
to US banks to buy up Bonds, Stocks and Equities in Third world/Emerging
market economies, which will devalue the dollar and appreciate the currencies in these countries, giving the US banks the opportunity to make
a quick "buck"(Fast Profit).

This currency appreciation of the Local currency will harm these economies that receive the  dollars becos most of them are export economies and do not want their currencies to raise unneccessarily ie like brazil, that why the are putting taxes on the Bonds and Capital controls on foreign buyers of the Bonds.

I Guess a Former boss (Michael Hudson) of a Company i worked for explains it more plainly since he has been doing this since the Early 1970's.

Please watch this video on QE2 to understand it effect: Very Important
for us to grasp this.

[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXzJpi4E30U[/flash]

I shall explain the Nature and Effect of the Euro-bonds Later
Re: Investors Shun Nigeria’s $500 Million Eurobond by DeeJay20: 2:27pm On Jan 25, 2011
Katsumoto:

Ok, carry on with the condescending tone but at least answer the question, 'are you stating that raising funds through bonds is fiscal irresponsibility on the parts of the governments that do so?' If that is your arguement, then please state why you hold such a view. The 'someone powerful somewhere' theory is intellectual laziness.

You listed a few countries that have/had issues with bond issues and repayment. Start by telling us how they were short-changed.

O.k Katsumoto, babaogun, ADint, what we keep on failing to realise is that Nigerian govt issues Sovereign debt ie Nigerian Treasury Notes already.

Point 1 - So all the Hard currency ie Dollars that has been raised over the years and has been secured/Guranteed by our "Energy Reserves" what has the government done with it?

Point 2 - What is the purpose for the "$500 million dollar Bond Issue"?
Why does the Nigerian Govt not tell us the Purpose for this cash, this is just pure authority without Responsiblity !,

Point 3 - Our Excess Crude Account now sits at $20 Billion dollars.
Why cant they take the $500 Million from there and use it the fund the "unknown to the Public $500 million dollar Capital Project(s)"?

Point 4 - Nigeria started its SWF (Sovereign Wealth Fund) in Last October 2010 with an initial Investment of $1 Billion Dollars. They did not issue bonds to raise the $1 Billion as it was taken from the Excess Crude Account. Where was the Money Invested The Public does not know? Our govt unlike the Asian countries refuse to tell us.

The difference between the Nigerian Govt issuing its "Treasury Notes" and Nigerian Govt issuing (Or really taking) on "Eurobonds" is this:
With the Nigerian Treasury Note:The Nigerian Govt Sets the Interest Rate. With the Euro-bond: The nigerian govt has no control over the Interest rate and that is a problem,

A worser Problem with the Euro-Bond is that their is the high probability that the Bond can be Open to speculation ie Currency/Bond Traders [b]betting against stability of the bond [/b]and thats where contries that hold Euro-bonds can get really "Screwed".

We dont need to look far for examples ie Ireland, Greece, Latvia in the last 2 years.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

12 Months Forex Challenge. / MMM GH Order Matched, Paid And Confirmed! / The Access Intercontinental Bank Fraud In Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.