Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,965 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:45 AM

Travelling To Usa With My Anti-retroviral Drugs - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Usa With My Anti-retroviral Drugs (2647 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 / My Anti-hypertensive Meds Set Off Bomb Threat Alarms.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Travelling To Usa With My Anti-retroviral Drugs by GabyLynn: 5:17pm On Jan 21, 2011
Hi all,
I am calling on any HIV postive person that travel across the Nigerian border to enlighten me on how to cross with my Retroviral Drug in my Hand Luggage without any problem.
My family are based in the US, just got diagnosed,
Problem is, can I cross into US with my drugs? If you are on one, then you know important it is not to miss the timing not to think of stopping the drugs, Before acquiring more on arrival which may be late.
Well, I am open for all the usuals on Nairaland,
Just looking for people like me to help me out.
NB,
I am happily married to a wonderful man who remains HIV-
Re: Travelling To Usa With My Anti-retroviral Drugs by obowunmi(m): 5:23pm On Jan 21, 2011
GabyLynn:

Hi all,
I am calling on any HIV postive person that travel across the Nigerian border to enlighten me on how to cross with my Retroviral Drug in my Hand Luggage without any problem.
Problem is, can I cross into US with my drugs? If you are on one, then you know important it is not to miss the timing not to think of stopping the drugs, Before acquiring more on arrival which may be late.
Just looking for people like me to help me out.
NB,

Are HIV + persons allowed to travel ?
Re: Travelling To Usa With My Anti-retroviral Drugs by obowunmi(m): 5:25pm On Jan 21, 2011
Unless you tell people that there's a retroviral drug there --- i doubt people will ask too many questions. people carry medications all the time ?
Re: Travelling To Usa With My Anti-retroviral Drugs by GabyLynn: 5:41pm On Jan 21, 2011
Obawunmi,
tanx alot,
Am actually a regular traveller, just got diagnosed and travelling next week.
Do U know any case where HIV persons are not allowed to travelled?
I googled and got confusing information on Border issues on prescription drugs which forbids this sort.
NairaLanders, your responses will be appreciated.
Re: Travelling To Usa With My Anti-retroviral Drugs by obowunmi(m): 6:25pm On Jan 21, 2011
Where are you travelling to ? Nothing forbids medication. People travel with medications all the time.
Re: Travelling To Usa With My Anti-retroviral Drugs by dancewith: 6:49pm On Jan 21, 2011
GabyLynn:

Obawunmi,
tanx alot,
Am actually a regular traveller, just got diagnosed and travelling next week.
Do U know any case where HIV persons are not allowed to travelled?
I googled and got confusing information on Border issues on prescription drugs which forbids this sort.
NairaLanders, your responses will be appreciated.

Sorry about your condition. Always remember HIV doesn't kill. Most die out of worry and depression. I have known people that have lived with HIV for almost 12 yrs now and they are ok.

As regards the drugs, the new law Obama signed into law on the 30th of Oct banned all forms of immigration discrimination based on a person's HIV status. Before then, The US forbade a HIV positive person from entering the US. So right now you can pretty much show them the drugs without any problem see http://www.hrw.org/en/news/2009/10/30/us-obama-announces-end-hiv-travel-ban

Best of luck
Re: Travelling To Usa With My Anti-retroviral Drugs by GabyLynn: 7:48pm On Jan 21, 2011
@dancewith
thank you very much, that was very informative.
Sure it is been implemented? Just scared of having to register at the border into some everlasting Database.
I really wish one with experience can just post a line or two.
My destination is New York.
Thank you so much.
Re: Travelling To Usa With My Anti-retroviral Drugs by omega25red(m): 9:08pm On Jan 21, 2011
GabyLynn:

Hi all,
Just looking for people like me to help me out.NB,
Hommie you have nothing to fear just pack it in your main luggage you are checking in and take your doses with you in a carry on you are good to go it's not like you are going to apply for green card where they make you get a medical check up. Im assuming you already have your visa etc so no worries buddy. wishing you a safe flight
Re: Travelling To Usa With My Anti-retroviral Drugs by TitanMoon: 9:18pm On Jan 21, 2011
Sorry about your condition. Always remember HIV doesn't kill. Most die out of worry and depression. I have known people that have lived with HIV for almost 12 yrs now and they are ok.

Ignorant slowpoke. The HIV mortality rate is 100%, how can you say most people with HIV die out of worry and depression you idiot.

The reason people have lived for 12 years is because of retroviral drugs you slowpoke.
Re: Travelling To Usa With My Anti-retroviral Drugs by Delta007(m): 9:56pm On Jan 21, 2011
I do not think it's a biggie. Infact, they may not even ask unless they search you. And even if they do, you do not have to go into details. They are drugs prescribed by your doctor. They usually have their doctor at the port, so he/she may be called upon if the issue escalates. However, I think it's a "no biggie".
If so, I'd be more concerned about the pregnancy. I'm guessing you are on a Visitor's visa? If the pregnancy is already showing, you may not be allowed in to give birth.

- I also read your other post in the health section. I doubt you will be able to hide you HIV status from your parents. They would likely pick up on it in the hospital. Infact, you are obliged to declare such knowledge to the physician.
- Also, I believe this is a trying period for you. You actually need to pray and encourage your husband just as he is encouraging you (I'm probably stating the obvious) cos no matter how good and supportive he is, he is scratching his head somewhere.
- Lastly, I know this is the travel section but I'm a little curious as to how and when you likely contracted this. You do not need to answer. I'm just curious!
Re: Travelling To Usa With My Anti-retroviral Drugs by footreja: 11:12pm On Jan 21, 2011
@OP, try to do as suggested, put it in your main luggage, safe journey.
Re: Travelling To Usa With My Anti-retroviral Drugs by tpia6: 3:16am On Jan 22, 2011
Re: Travelling To Usa With My Anti-retroviral Drugs by JerryAdams: 8:34am On Jan 22, 2011
I do know of a close friend with a similar condition as yours (except they've been living healthy with the condition for about 11yrs now) and they'd frequent the US quite often and has never had any problem. One thing you must understand is that Anti-retroviral drugs are not off the counter medication and as such are prescribed by your GP whom would have labelled your medication cover pack with your name and dosage directions, therefore making it OK to travel with.
I remember during the early years when my friend first found out about their status, 'they' were a bit apprehensive and anxious like you are now as to wether they would be turned back at the port of entry if immigration/customs search and find their meds in their luggage. Because they were intending to stay in the US for 4mths, my friend was particularly concerned as to the large quantity of the retroviral drugs which they had to carry (and was to sustain them for the duration of their stay in America), I remember my friend repacking/rearranging all of their tablets into one of these plastic Meds containers with 'days of the week' - i.e Monday, Tueday, Wednesday etc and 'periods for the day' - ie 'Morning, Aftrenoon, Evening' inscribed on them. They kept the Meds in their checked in luggage and kept the prescription cert from their GP in their carry-on bag (just incase) along with the dosage they needed on d flight and for the next couple days after their arrival. Anyway to cut the story short, they've been in and out of the US and has never been pulled over because of their Meds.
Further more it is true that President Obama (with the approval of the Congress) has lifted the initial travel restrictions for intending migrant with HIV into the US.

PS. Make sure when you're travelling to carry along a certified prescription from your GP to proof you're not carrying them for commercial purpose .
Re: Travelling To Usa With My Anti-retroviral Drugs by dancewith: 9:52am On Jan 22, 2011
TitanMoon:

Ignorant not-so-smart person. The HIV mortality rate is 100%, how can you say most people with HIV die out of worry and depression you .

The reason people have lived for 12 years is because of retroviral drugs you slowpoke.

you are obviously a retard with an oblong brain so I wont be joining issues with you today. By the time you finish your primary school come back to this thread and we will finish up
Re: Travelling To Usa With My Anti-retroviral Drugs by GabyLynn: 3:27pm On Jan 22, 2011
@Dancewith
Big encouragement,
@Omega2seed
Tanx for strengthening my faith
@TitanMoon
Tanx for stopping over,
I just percieved what I fear from your post,
@Delta007
Wao!
Thanks alot, good point about my pregnancy. Am actually entering with a 7days return ticket, thinking it will cover for my drugs.
Ur curiosity? Really have no idea, have been the most careful person U can think of. My advise to all is, this thing is closer to all than you ever imagine. My regret is d fact that I never had the Test all my till now, After been married for 4years.
@footrega
Tanx alot
@JerryAdams
That was really comprehensive!
Thank you so much for taking ur time to bring me this far,
God bless you.
Pls if am not asking for too much can you forward my email address to em so I can get to ask more? That is if they don't mind. gaby_lynn@yahoo.comĀ 
Am almost certain they will like to help me out, as our society is a closely knitted relationship kind of, LOL
God bless you mightily.
Re: Travelling To Usa With My Anti-retroviral Drugs by queensmith: 3:31pm On Jan 22, 2011
I thought people ith HIV werent even allowed in the US? maybe its just the uk sha

hold your prescription, and probably a letter from the doctor

make sure you explain when u arrive in the states

you should be fine
Re: Travelling To Usa With My Anti-retroviral Drugs by GabyLynn: 3:38pm On Jan 22, 2011
@Queensmith
tanx dear,
I travell out alot, just got worried as this very trip will be accompanied with a seriuos issue,
All my sojourn, I've never thought of medical issues at immigration point, till now.
I just got diagnosed,
Re: Travelling To Usa With My Anti-retroviral Drugs by GabyLynn: 3:46pm On Jan 22, 2011
My dear NairaLanders,
I know how serious this topic is, and understand how and why those affected may not publicly advise me. Though I've recieved great advices here, I just want to plead with anynone who may wish to open up to me privately to do so via my email address:
gaby_lynn@yahoo.com
thank you very much, I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Cheers
Re: Travelling To Usa With My Anti-retroviral Drugs by Delta007(m): 3:48pm On Jan 22, 2011
@Gaby:
Hmmmm 7 days return ticket but you plan to stay more than 7 days. I'm sure you realise that you cannot get these drugs off the shelf in the US and you'd need a doctor's prescription to get them in the US. So, if you are just carrying drugs for 7days, make sure you budget for more in the US. Healthcare in the US na real empire, not cheap at all. Goodluck and I hope everything works out well for you.
Re: Travelling To Usa With My Anti-retroviral Drugs by citadeledu: 3:56am On Jan 31, 2011
my dear dont play a victim or feel like one,carry quite a handful ful of prescription,in your main luggage,

The united states just lifted the ban of positive travellers last year thats why the annual world aids confference has never been done in the us as half of attendees are positive people.

Hiv is really closer than we think,my brother is also positive but for 21 years now and he is still good and his viral load is below 1000 and cd4 is 650 ,Baby start your life over and imagine what impact you can make in the world,make an impact.

there is a conference in italy on june for positive people,friends and researcher .
To have more USA and Hiv travel info on countries u can visit with ARV or free medication visit www.hivtravel.org
Re: Travelling To Usa With My Anti-retroviral Drugs by GabyLynn: 4:10pm On Jan 31, 2011
citadeledu:

my dear dont play a victim or feel like one,carry quite a handful ful of prescription,in your main luggage,

The united states just lifted the ban of positive travellers last year thats why the annual world aids confference has never been done in the us as half of attendees are positive people.

Hiv is really closer than we think,my brother is also positive but for 21 years now and he is still good and his viral load is below 1000 and cd4 is 650 ,Baby start your life over and imagine what impact you can make in the world,make an impact.

there is a conference in italy on june for positive people,friends and researcher .
To have more USA and Hiv travel info on countries u can visit with ARV or free medication visit www.hivtravel.org

thank you so much,
am really confident with all the information I've gathered here.
Just worried about quantity now.
Thank you so much.

Delta007:

@Gaby:
Hmmmm 7 days return ticket but you plan to stay more than 7 days. I'm sure you realise that you cannot get these drugs off the shelf in the US and you'd need a doctor's prescription to get them in the US. So, if you are just carrying drugs for 7days, make sure you budget for more in the US. Healthcare in the US na real empire, not cheap at all. Goodluck and I hope everything works out well for you.

thank you so much.
I've decided to go with 3months dosage, just worried about the quantity should am ask, since my visit is suppose to be for just a week.
Thank you so much for your advice, cant imagine paying $1,000 for a dose,
God bless you
Re: Travelling To Usa With My Anti-retroviral Drugs by worry246(m): 5:39pm On Jan 31, 2011
three months will make immigration think you are either an overstayer or selling your medicin for profit.
Better take less

(1) (Reply)

My Visit To Elegushi Beach And Useful Tips For You / Shanghai Building Collapse In China. (photos) / Which Other Countries Can You Travel To With A UK Visa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.