Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,638 members, 7,813,111 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:16 AM

Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. (1503 Views)

Three Categories Of "Atheists" On Nairaland: we were/are right. / Why Are The Christians On Nairaland So Afraid Of Atheists? / Daddy Freeze: "Meet NIMROD Whose Birthday Christians Are Celebrating Today" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jun 04, 2020
Christians are never scared of atheists,and they will never argue for a long time with atheists.The fact that Christians dont argue with them gives them the aura of intellingence and impression that Christianity is built on clueless facts.
Mind you,Religion is different from christianity.It creates sense of division among religious fanatics who can do anything to defend their religion even to the extent of killing termed"Unbelievers".

Christianity means Christ pathway.This is not a religion but a lifestyle that every follow of Christ must exhibits.We dont kill or do any diabolical practice because our father was not ever spotted doing it.
Atheist telling Christians that God does not exists is likened to a person told that his father do not exist.
This atheism should be extincted because they failed to ask themselves"WHO CREATED ME"?.
If they are saying they transformed from apes,then who created those apes?
All those laws they quote were not meant to be if a great designer never initiated it.
THINK WELL.

1 Like

Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by ClitRaider: 4:57pm On Jun 04, 2020
Those peeps are just stupid.
Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jun 04, 2020
ClitRaider:
Those peeps are just stupid.
No dont insult them.Lets pray for their salvation,they are just being ignorant.
Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by ClitRaider: 5:06pm On Jun 04, 2020
PRE4:

No dont insult them.Lets pray for their salvation,they are just being ignorant.
They're too lazy to see.
It's all over..
Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jun 04, 2020
ClitRaider:
They're too lazy to see. It's all over..
The main reason we should pray for them.
Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by Professorcplus(m): 5:21pm On Jun 04, 2020
Christians claimed they are Christ like but sadly, most of them show no exhibit of christ. The first commentor can testify to it.

11 Likes

Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jun 04, 2020
Professorcplus:
Christians claimed they are Christ like but sadly, most of them show no exhibit of christ. The first commentor can testify to it.

Yes it is a challenge to Christendom but yet we shouldnt judge them,let God judge.
I am not saying that through my post that atheists will perish but it hurts me to see those who GOD created as bright stars filled with God given wisdom use their knowledge against their creator.Yet i cant fight for him,he can defend his name as GOD whether the people he created believes he exists or not.
He is just being silent at people blasphemy against him because of his mercies and love for mankind,he is still waiting for the lost sheep to return home to him even into his ever loving arms.

1 Like

Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by Kobojunkie: 6:19pm On Jun 04, 2020
@OP, where do you find it in your Bible that the Almighty God of the Angel Armies needs you and your ilk defending Him or His honor?
With the time many of you spend here thinking yourselves God's Knight in Shining Armor, may I suggest you spend that time reading the book of Job... Yes, what the majority of you pretend to do in the name of God is no different from what Job's friends did to God's name.

God is quite capable of fighting His own battles for Himself!

2 Likes

Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by Professorcplus(m): 6:26pm On Jun 04, 2020
In an advent of some situation which a single action is far better than thousand words, dilemma often occurs when some set of parochial people use a Supreme being to justify their actions which in real sense seem contuary to the true nature of the same Supreme being other people uphold. In such situation, a division is created, irrespective of the side you found yourself, you are just a variety among many. What distinguished you out is your actions towards others.

But reality is actions are driven mostly by ones belief especially in this part of the world where religion tolerance is low. Thus some beliefs promote false hope, some encourage being narrow minded, some steer violence, some give fear while some have positive attributes majority creates more diversion. Without being sentimental, Religion and harmful beliefs have done more damage to more people than good and in return they retaliate.

Just among the christians denomination alone, no single denomination totally agree with same doctrine.
While some, women never wear trousers and always cover their hair, for some it's the opposite.
While some never celebrate some biblical events other do.
While some sector prayer is always against their enemies other prayer for their enemies.
While other prefer to bath with black soap in the streem others are against it.
While others are encouraged to eat with the other religious body others are not in support of this.

The problem is not what you think, the problem is about the christians.

4 Likes

Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jun 04, 2020
Kobojunkie:
@OP, where do you find it in your Bible that the Almighty God of the Angel Armies needs you and your ilk defending Him or His honor?
With the time many of you spend here thinking yourselves God's Knight in Shining Armor, may I suggest you spend that time reading the book of Job... Yes, what the majority of you pretend to do in the name of God is no different from what Job's friends did to God's name.

God is quite capable of fighting His own battles for Himself!

Read my recent quotes,i am not defending God,he can fight for himself like you said but we are propagating the gospel which is our main assignment on earth.Dont misquote my impression.
Atheists can repent if they are made to see the light and love of God preached by real believers and not religuous fanatics who keep insulting atheisms and threathen them.We should treat them with love,because it is the love of God that saved mankind.
Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by Kobojunkie: 6:39pm On Jun 04, 2020
PRE4:
Read my recent quotes,i am not defending God,he can fight for himself like you said but we are propagating the gospel which is our main assignment on earth. Dont misquote my impression.
Atheists can repent if they are made to see the light and love of God preached by real believers and not religuous fanatics who keep insulting atheisms and threathen them.We should treat them with love,because it is the love of God that saved mankind.
That is untrue!
The gospel has nothing to do with what many of you do, and it certainly does not call anyone into a life of illogical thinking.. so why do you attack these people claiming you do so on behalf of God? undecided undecided undecided

Jesus told His disciples to dust their sandals and move on on those who do not care for what they have to say. Why are you so-called gospel-propagators unaware of this?

1 Like

Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jun 04, 2020
Kobojunkie:
That is untrue!
The gospel has nothing to do with what many of you do, and it certainly does not call anyone into a life of illogical thinking.. so why do you attack these people claiming you do so on behalf of God? undecided undecided undecided

Jesus told His disciples to dust their sandals and move on on those who do not care for what they have to say. Why are you so-called gospel-propagators unaware of this?

You are saying the truth but yet i [dont know about others]believe they are convertible when they are meant to see the light.
It is not all Christians that will make heaven-many sinners will.So i am not judging them yet i do my path by sharing the truth to them.
I dont like these people[atheists] insulted and lynched by religious fanatics but i have seen a lot of atheists converted so there is no wrong if i do my path by ministering the truth to the ignorant so they can come to the truth.if i have said any condemning word to them,i hearby apologise sincerely.
Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by Kobojunkie: 7:05pm On Jun 04, 2020
PRE4:
You are saying the truth but yet I [dont know about others]believe they are convertible when they are meant to see the light.
It is not a question of whether they are convertible or not. Contrary to what you may have been told, God converts His own all by Himself.

Jeremiah 31 vs 31-34
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
33. “In the future, I will make this agreement with the people of Israel.” This message is from the Lord. “I will put my teachings in their minds, and I will write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.
34. People will not have to teach their neighbors and relatives to know the Lord, because all people, from the least important to the most important, will know me.” This message is from the Lord. “I will forgive them for the evil things they did. I will not remember their sins.”
Did God lie? If you believe yes, then feel free to continue trying to shove God at them.
PRE4:
It is not all Christians that will make heaven-many sinners will. So I am not judging them yet I do my path by sharing the truth to them.
Funny thing is contrary to what your pastors/deacons/preachers/GOs/Primates have told you of Heaven, preaching the gospel will never get you into Heaven.. it is not even a requirement, as far as Jesus is concerned. He was clear about what you will have to do to get into His kingdom and preaching did not make His list. cheesy
PRE4:
I don't like these people[atheists] insulted and lynched by religious fanatics but I have seen a lot of atheists converted so there is no wrong if I do my path by ministering the truth to the ignorant so they can come to the truth. if I have said any condemning word to them, I hereby apologize sincerely.
God wants to teach the people by Himself! Going against God's own command in the name of doing God's work, are you certain you are doing God's work?

1 Like

Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by jamesid29(m): 10:45pm On Jun 04, 2020
Kobojunkie:
It is not a question of whether they are convertible or not. Contrary to what you may have been told, God converts His own all by Himself.

Did God lie? If you believe yes, then feel free to continue trying to shove God at them.
Funny thing is contrary to what your pastors/deacons/preachers/GOs/Primates have told you of Heaven, preaching the gospel will never get you into Heaven.. it is not even a requirement, as far as Jesus is concerned. He was clear about what you will have to do to get into His kingdom and preaching did not make His list. cheesy
God wants to teach the people by Himself! Going against God's own command in the name of doing God's work, are you certain you are doing God's work?

Actually that's not really true sir. If there was no need for preaching and engaging people with the gospel and truth about God, there won't have been a need for the apostles. Jesus won't have given the commission to his disciples to go and preach the gospel to the ends of the earth and paul& the other apostles won't have spent the rest of their lives in mortal danger trying to propagate the gospel everywhere they went.
Truth is , from the old testament to the new,God has always brought man into partnership with Him in bringing about His will. Not because He needs to (obviously He is God and there are many places in the Bible He bypasses human agency) but because He wants to.

Just like in the old testament, believers are called into partnership with God by spreading the gospel by words and deeds even though ultimately it is God the Holy Spirit that does the convicting and converting.
As in the old testament,God can and does bypass human agency in bringing people to himself if need be, either through dreams or visions etc as in the case of Paul (There are people who came to the faith this way today),but that is usually the exception not the rule. Most of the time people come to the faith by interacting with other believers.Romans10:14, Acts 10(Peter and Cornelius the centurion),Acts 16:9-33(Paul and the city of Macedonia) and so on.
God is Just and He will always get the knowledge of Him to all

As for Jer 31:33-34 you quoted, I believe you are slightly misunderstanding it because if you read it in context of the entire chapter, Jeremiah was prophesying to the house of Israel and Judah, that compared to the present covenant where they needed scribes and religious leaders to teach them God's law and how to implement it in their everyday lives(the Jewish Talmud is about 60 volumes), the new convenant will be written in their hearts and those things will no longer be needed as each person will know God personally. Compare that to the new testament where all 613 laws was pulled under one umbrella of Love(love God with all your heart and love your fellow humans as yourself). Basically the more you grow as a believer, the more you get know God and the less you need people to tell you what's right and what wrong in different facets of life.

1 Like

Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by Kobojunkie: 11:08pm On Jun 04, 2020
jamesid29:

Actually that's not really true sir. If there was no need for preaching and engaging people with the gospel and truth about God, there won't have been a need for the apostles. Jesus won't have given the commission to his disciples to go and preach the gospel to the ends of the earth and paul& the other apostles won't have spent the rest of their lives in mortal danger trying to propagate the gospel everywhere they went.
So, what you are saying is your God lied when He said that in the future He will make with His people i.e. Jesus Christ. undecided

Jeremiah 31 vs 31-34
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
33. In the future, I will make this agreement with the people of Israel.” This message is from the Lord. “I will put my teachings in their minds, and I will write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.
34. People will not have to teach their neighbors and relatives to know the Lord, because all people, from the least important to the most important, will know me.” This message is from the Lord. “I will forgive them for the evil things they did. I will not remember their sins.”

jamesid29:

Jesus won't have given the commission to his disciples to go and preach the gospel to the ends of the earth and paul& the other apostles won't have spent the rest of their lives in mortal danger trying to propagate the gospel everywhere they went.

The disciples, paul included, did the job that Jesus gave them. They did in fact spread the word as Jesus commanded them. But here we have God Himself stating that in the future, his new agreement that People will not have to teach their neighbors and relatives to know the Lord, because all people, from the least important to the most important, will know me. You think He lied?
jamesid29:

Truth is , from the old testament to the new,God has always brought man into partnership with Him in bringing about His will. Not because He needs to (obviously He is God and there are many places in the Bible He bypasses human agency) but because He wants to.
Just like in the old testament, believers are called into partnership with God by spreading the gospel by words and deeds even though ultimately it is God the Holy Spirit that does the convicting and converting.
How did God bring man into partnership with God in the Old testament? undecidedundecided
What gives you the sense that now God still wants to keep that which He did in the Old testament, in this new testament ? undecidedundecided
jamesid29:

As in the old testament,God can and does bypass human agency in bringing people to himself if need be, either through dreams or visions etc as in the case of Paul (There are people who came to the faith this way today),but that is usually the exception not the rule. Most of the time people come to the faith by interacting with other believers.Romans10:14, Acts 10(Peter and Cornelius the centurion),Acts 16:9-33(Paul and the city of Macedonia) and so on.

Oh, so you do admit that God is able to keep His word then? But in Jeremiah, you see God announcing that He will do it all on His own in the future, but here you are quick to call Him a liar in this.
jamesid29:
God is Just and He will always get the knowledge of Him to all

As for Jer 31:33-34 you quoted, I believe you are slightly misunderstanding it because if you read it in context of the entire chapter, Jeremiah was prophesying to the house of Israel and Judah, that compared to the present covenant where they needed scribes and religious leaders to teach them God's law and how to implement it in their everyday lives(the Jewish Talmud is about 60 volumes), the new convenant will be written in their hearts and those things will no longer be needed as each person will know God personally. Compare that to the new testament where all 613 laws was pulled under one umbrella of Love(love God with all your heart and love your fellow humans as yourself). Basically the more you grow as a believer, the more you get know God and the less you need people to tell you what's right and what wrong in different facets of life.
Are you serious? I don't think you are being entirely honest with yourself there.
The passage says "...People will not have to teach their neighbors and relatives to know the Lord, because all people, from the least important to the most important, will know me.";Not "...People who believe in me will not have to teach their neighbors and relatives to know the Lord, because all people, from the least important to the most important, will know me".
Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jun 04, 2020
Read Isaiah 30:9-17,it tells of the dooms of those who outrightly reject the truth.
The Jer.31:33-35 is talking to the Israelites not sinners.
God have entrusted evangelism as a soul business for mankind.
I quite agree with you on Matt 10:14.Like i said before,i am not wshing woes on sinners but call them to repentance as instructed by God.
You rightly said that evangelism is not a criteria to make heaven but it is our divine assignment on earth.
I drop my pen and will appreciate if you dont quote me.
Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by Kobojunkie: 11:16pm On Jun 04, 2020
PRE4:
Read Isaiah 30:9-17,it tells of the dooms of those who outrightly reject the truth.
The Jer.31:33-35 is talking to the Israelites not sinners.
Israelites were not sinners? Did Jesus know this because He called the Pharisees hypocrites, accusing them of worshipping God in vain? Did John the Baptist know of this before he called on the Israelites to repent from their SINFUL ways? shocked.
PRE4:
God have entrusted evangelism as a soul business for mankind.
You actually expect God to make the same mistake He made in the Old testament in this new testament? Entrust the care, the handling and administration of the relationship between Himself and His creation to men? Do you think God to be daft?
PRE4:
I quite agree with you on Matt 10:14.Like i said before,i am not wshing woes on sinners but call them to repentance as instructed by God.
Jesus commanded you to dust your sandals and work away when what you have to offer is found unacceptable. Why do you reject what Jesus commands?
PRE4:
You rightly said that evangelism is not a criteria to make heaven but it is our divine assignment on earth.
I drop my pen and will appreciate if you dont quote me.
Why not? You created the thread... did you not?
Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by ThinkSmarter: 11:20pm On Jun 04, 2020
PRE4:
Christians are never scared of atheists,and they will never argue for a long time with atheists.The fact that Christians dont argue with them gives them the aura of intellingence and impression that Christianity is built on clueless facts.
Mind you,Religion is different from christianity.It creates sense of division among religious fanatics who can do anything to defend their religion even to the extent of killing termed"Unbelievers".

Christianity means Christ pathway.This is not a religion but a lifestyle that every follow of Christ must exhibits.We dont kill or do any diabolical practice because our father was not ever spotted doing it.
Atheist telling Christians that God does not exists is likened to a person told that his father do not exist.
This atheism should be extincted because they failed to ask themselves"WHO CREATED ME"?.
If they are saying they transformed from apes,then who created those apes?
All those laws they quote were not meant to be if a great designer never initiated it.
THINK WELL.
After thorough study and research in my quest to know the truth behind World Religions.
I have come to this conclusions.
El (Elohim) or Yahweh is a Jewish god of war.
Exodus 15:3 stated categorically thus: Jehovah is a warrior.
What Yahweh is to Jews is what the god of the Sun is to Greece (GreekoRoman Empire)
One thing I discovered with the Hebrew god is that it's powerful, mysterious more than the other gods in Arabia.
And it is a very intolerant god and aggressive god.
In so many scenarios like the way it turned Lots wife to pillar of salt for minor disobedience, the way he killed Israelites at mount Sinai where it comes with flames, thick smoke and thundering clap for drawing closer to the mountain.
Almost synonymous to the Yoruba Sango god and Igbo Amadioha god in their use of thunder, thick smoke and lightening.
The way the Ark of the covenant killed anyone that gets in touch with it.
Less, I forget, many places around the world in the early and mid centuries went about building temples for their god, gods, goddess or goddesses.
From India to Pakistan to China to Assyria to Persia to Greece to Rome to Egypt to Africa, every where gods, temples.
Could Jewish god that is always jealous of other gods be an exceptional god, different from other pagan gods ?
Could other gods of other regions be all that powerful for the Hebrew god to be jealous?
No, if Baal is to be ineffective and just but a man made statue, why will the super God alleged to have created the universe and everything therein be jealous of his tiny creations earth molded image(sculpture)??
Reading through the book of Exodus, especially Exodus chapter 13 Yahweh's demands for 1st born human and animal sacrifice makes me think, could this be God the creator?
Do the Supreme God need human and animal sacrifices?.
Why do most pagan shrines and temples use incense, the way it is used in the temple of El, YWH, Yahweh or Jehovah?
The are many mysteries to be unravelled.
I have come to also realize that the story of creation recorded in the book of Genesis is nothing but Jewish mythology.
Read #Genesis 1:26 and #Genesis 2:7 and behold a contradictory statements.

Read #1Samuel 15:3 Now go, and strike down the A·malʹek·ites,d and devote them to destructione along with all that they have. You must not spare them; you are to put them to death,f man as well as woman, child as well as infant, bull as well as sheep, camel as well as donkey.’”
Could a god that orders the killing of innocent children, pregnant women, widows, old women, innocent animals and the disabled be the #God of the #Universe??
Imagine America coming to perpetrate this kind of crime against a country or region?.
What will be your reactions?
Is God portrayed as the most compassionate, most merciful in this scenario?
Is that not a partial god that favours only the jews?
Could Yahweh be an over glorified tribal god?
#ForYourConsideration.
It's high time we start to unlearn the craps deposited into our skulls by the stone age ,iron age and bronze age people.

The Bible is a well crafted religious literature with real historical records of war written by different authors over centuries.
And the events centered around present day Middle East and Europe and some parts of Africa.
The genealogy recorded in book of Genesis and in the book of Matthew never branched or took account of other races of humans like the Asia, India, West Indies, Europe and Africans
From Adam to Noah.
from Noah to Abraham
And from Abraham to Jesus Christ.
This history of a tribe representing that of the entire World creation story is not plausible.
But one thing is certain
Truth is tested with time.
It's obvious that the Israel god Yahweh that rides a chariot was powerful to the Israelites, originally the Canaanites.
The world major religions: Hinduism, Buddhism, (Islam, Judaism and Christianity) (Abrahamic religions) have all stood the test of time.
And their Various teachings are so related.
What Jesus Christ is to Christians is what Shiva is to Hindu is what Saddhauta Gautama (Buddha) is to Buddhists is what Mohammed is to Moslems.
Though Shiva of Hindu is actually a god or deity that is very significant in Hinduism.
Jesus Christ, Prophet Mohammed, Buddha are very enlightened fellows and they all preached love and peace to humanity.

I know I am sounding controversial and weird to religious people
But the truth remains that I am standing on a neutral ground to decipher the truth behind World religions.
U can't quench my curiosity.
I knew that every religion faithful do uphold their own very religion as the best.
But the truth is that there is no better religion.
All religions came due to mankind quest to unite with the Forces behind the creations, the assumed god, gods and God.

#Peace and #Love

1 Like

Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jun 04, 2020
Kobojunkie:
Israelites were not sinners? Did Jesus know this because He called the Pharisees hypocrites, accusing them of worshipping God in vain? Did John the Baptist know of this before he called on the Israelites to repent from their SINFUL ways? shocked.
You actually expect God to make the same mistake He made in the Old testament in this new testament? Entrust the care, the handling and administration of the relationship between Himself and His creation to men? Do you think God to be daft?
Jesus commanded you to dust your sandals and work away when what you have to offer is found unacceptable. Why do you reject what Jesus commands?
Why not? You created the thread... did you not?

But i am not implying it is by force,Our own job is to preach and the Holy Spirit does the Conviction.
Soul winning is empowered by the Holy Spirit and not man.
Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by Kobojunkie: 11:31pm On Jun 04, 2020
PRE4:
But i am not implying it is by force,Our own job is to preach and the Holy Spirit does the Conviction.
Soul winning is empowered by the Holy Spirit and not man.
Those who are born again are led by the Spirit of the Living God in all they do... Jesus said of those who love them, that they are those who obey his commandments.

John 14 vs 23-24
23. Jesus answered, “All who love me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them. My Father and I will come to them and live with them.
24. But anyone who does not love me does not obey my teaching. This teaching that you hear is not really mine. It is from my Father who sent me.
Jesus Christ, continues in John 15, explaining how those who are His are those who are led by the Spirit of God. A message repeated by Paul in Romans 8

Romans 8 vs 14-17
14. The true children of God are those who let God’s Spirit lead them.
15. The Spirit that we received is not a spirit that makes us slaves again and causes us to fear. The Spirit that we have makes us God’s chosen children. And with that Spirit we cry out, “ Abba,[b] Father.”
16. And the Spirit himself speaks to our spirits and makes us sure that we are God’s children.
17. If we are God’s children, we will get the blessings God has for his people. He will give us all that he has given Christ. But we must suffer like Christ suffered. Then we will be able to share his glory.
The Spirit of God will never lead you to disobey Jesus Christ's commandment! So if you engage these people, ignoring Christ's own commandments, you should ask yourself if you are indeed doing it for God or for yourself. Remember that our righteousness is nothing but filthy rags that God will never accept.
Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jun 04, 2020
Kobojunkie:

Those who are born again are led by the Spirit of the Living God in all they do... Jesus said of those who love them, that they are those who obey his commandments.

Jesus Christ, continues in John 15, explaining how those who are His are those who are led by the Spirit of God. A message repeated by Paul in Romans 8

The Spirit of God will never lead you to disobey Jesus Christ's commandment! So if you engage these people, ignoring Christ's own commandments, you should ask yourself if you are indeed doing it for God or for yourself. Remember that our righteousness is nothing but filthy rags that God will never accept.

I really want to know your stand
are you a christian and which church?

my questions are harmless
Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by Kobojunkie: 11:36pm On Jun 04, 2020
PRE4:
I really want to know your stand
are you a christian and which church?
my questions are harmless
I belong to one church... the Church that is Christ Himself grin
Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by Nobody: 11:38pm On Jun 04, 2020
Kobojunkie:
I belong to one church... the Church that is Christ Himself grin

That implies we shouldnt be arguing.i succumb to your pointview and pray for understanding more on the word of God.

God bless you
Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by Kobojunkie: 11:44pm On Jun 04, 2020
PRE4:
That implies we shouldnt be arguing.i succumb to your pointview and pray for understanding more on the word of God.
God bless you
Ask Him(the one who lives inside of you) about everything I posted to see to know if I have the same Spirit of God that is living inside of you too. grin grin
Isn't it cool to know that the very same Spirit of God that lives inside God, Jesus Christ, lived in Peter, John, Andrew, Steven, Paul... now lives inside of us too. grin
We are sort of all synced up through Him (the Spirit of God) across time. grin grin grin
Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by jamesid29(m): 12:47am On Jun 05, 2020
Kobojunkie:

How did God bring man into partnership with God in the Old testament? undecidedundecided
Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, the whole nation of Israel,Gideon, the judges,David, Solomon, the prophets etc.
To be clear, God partnering with man doesn't in anyway mean we are on par with Him or that He needs us. We are created to be God's images(representatives on earth, sort of like middle management) and even though man fell, the Bible story shows us that God in His faithfulness didn't give up on us despite we continuously dropping the ball but kept working through man to bring about His redemptive plan. Again as I said earlier, God does do things without any human agency but that's usually the exception not the rule.
Ironically the fact that God chooses to work with and through humans is one of the reasons why we pray and intercede for others. We are not called to be passive observers but to be active partakers in the story of our world. I know that's a bit of digression and we can spend a whole day talking on why we pray but I just wanted to quickly put that out there.
Lastly, Just because God chooses to work with and through humans doesn't mean we are the ones doing it, ultimately it is God who is bringing about His will.Ultimately God was the one who brought the children of Israel out of Egypt and not Moses even though God chose to work through Moses. God in His faithfulness decided to dignify us by making us partakers in His story.

What gives you the sense that now God still wants to keep that which He did in the Old testament, in this new testament ? undecidedundecided
Covenants change, God doesn't.

As for the Jer 31:31-34 part, you don't have to take word for it sir. People have been reading the text for over 2000 years and you can read how others have parsed it over the years( right or wrong, the contention and discussions, commentaries and breakdowns etc).
One thing is we shouldn't read a scripture in isolation or we might read our minds into it. We have to read every scripture in its own context and in the context of the overarching story of the Bible.

1 Like

Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by aadoiza: 1:29am On Jun 05, 2020
I guess you're just paranoid, and that's why you had to open this thread.

1 Like

Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by Kobojunkie: 1:39am On Jun 05, 2020
jamesid29:

Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, the whole nation of Israel,Gideon, the judges,David, Solomon, the prophets etc.
To be clear, God partnering with man doesn't in anyway mean we are on par with Him or that He needs us. We are created to be God's images(representatives on earth, sort of like middle management) and even though man fell
undecided
jamesid29:
the Bible story shows us that God in His faithfulness didn't give up on us despite we continuously dropping the ball but kept working through man to bring about His redemptive plan. Again as I said earlier, God does do things without any human agency but that's usually the exception not the rule.
undecided
jamesid29:
Ironically the fact that God chooses to work with and through humans is one of the reasons why we pray and intercede for others. We are not called to be passive observers but to be active partakers in the story of our world. I know that's a bit of digression and we can spend a whole day talking on why we pray but I just wanted to quickly put that out there.
undecided
jamesid29:
Lastly, Just because God chooses to work with and through humans doesn't mean we are the ones doing it, ultimately it is God who is bringing about His will.Ultimately God was the one who brought the children of Israel out of Egypt and not Moses even though God chose to work through Moses. God in His faithfulness decided to dignify us by making us partakers in His story.
undecided
jamesid29:
Covenants change, God doesn't.
As for the Jer 31:31-34 part, you don't have to take word for it sir. People have been reading the text for over 2000 years and you can read how others have parsed it over the years( right or wrong, the contention and discussions, commentaries and breakdowns etc).
One thing is we shouldn't read a scripture in isolation or we might read our minds into it. We have to read every scripture in its own context and in the context of the overarching story of the Bible.
So, I get it! Your expectation is that God will always use humans to facilitate his every plan (except in exceptional circumstances).
Now, again...

Jeremiah 31 vs 31-34
31. This is what the Lord said, “The time is coming when I will make a new agreement with the family of Israel and with the family of Judah. 32. It will not be like the agreement I made with their ancestors. I made that agreement when I took them by the hand and brought them out of Egypt. I was their master, but they broke that agreement.” This message is from the Lord.
33. In the future, I will make this agreement with the people of Israel.” This message is from the Lord. “I will put my teachings in their minds, and I will write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.
...Did God lie when He said, "People will not have to teach their neighbors and relatives to know the Lord, because all people, from the least important to the most important, will know me.” This message is from the Lord. “I will forgive them for the evil things they did. I will not remember their sins.”? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by jamesid29(m): 6:51pm On Jun 05, 2020
Kobojunkie:

...Did God lie when He said, "People will not have to teach their neighbors and relatives to know the Lord, because all people, from the least important to the most important, will know me.” This message is from the Lord. “I will forgive them for the evil things they did. I will not remember their sins.”?
Sir,I believe I've already explained to you how you are misreading that scripture and I've also suggested you go lookup how other believers have understood it for over 2000yrs if you don't agree with my assertions.

If you believe the orthodox reading is wrong(which is a possibility, as we learn everyday with new information), it would be great if you can work me through why you think your novel interpretation is correct.

For starters, in your view and considering the context of the chapter
a) To whom was the prophesy intended for?

b)Which future was the prophesy talking about? Is it after the exile,before the resurrection,after the resurrection,at the second coming of Christ or at the age of the new heaven and new earth? Can you provide any Jewish or Christain thoughts that support the future you pick?

c)Can you provide any biblical quotation from any prophet or new testament author that sheds more light on the passage and supports your interpretation?

d)Can you provide any cultural context that supports your interpretation?

e)How does your interpretation fit into the overarching story of the Bible as a whole?

To be clear sir, this is not a test of intellect and I don't expect you to have all the answers but I believe if anyone is going to bring a new way of looking at the text, they have to show how they arrived at it so that it can be challenged and see how it holds up. Otherwise everyone will come up with their own private interpretation and there's no longer objective understanding.

Edited

2 Likes

Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by Kobojunkie: 7:24pm On Jun 05, 2020
jamesid29:

Sir,I believe I've already explained to you how you are misreading that scripture and I've also suggested you go lookup how other believers have understood it for over 2000yrs if you don't agree with my assertions.
Other believers? Did God command us to seek the counsel of these "other believers" before we accept what He commands or says? undecided
jamesid29:
If you believe the orthodox reading is wrong(which is a possibility, as we learn everyday with new information), it would be great if you can work me through why you think your novel interpretation is correct.
For starters, in your view and considering the context of the chapter
a) To whom was the prophesy intended for?
b)Which future was the prophesy talking about? Is it after the exile,before the resurrection,after the resurrection,at the second coming of Christ or at the age of the new heaven and new earth? Can you provide any Jewish or Christain thoughts that support the future you pick?
c)Can you provide any cultural context that supports your interpretation?Any information that shows how Jews of that time or Jews of the first century understood the prophesy?
d)Can you provide any biblical quotation from any prophet or new testament author that sheds more light on the passage and supports your interpretation?
e)How does your interpretation fit into the overarching story of the Bible as a whole?

To be clear sir, this is not a test of intellect and I don't expect you to have all the answers but I believe if anyone is going to bring a new way of looking at the text, they have to show how they arrived at it so that it can be challenged and see how it holds up. Otherwise everyone will come up with their own private interpretation and there's no longer objective understanding.
I took those verses right from the Easy-to-Read Version of the Bible. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jun 05, 2020
Kobojunkie:

Other believers? Did God command us to seek the counsel of these "other believers" before we accept what He commands or says? undecided

I took those verses right from the Easy-to-Read Version of the Bible. undecided undecided undecided

You argue a lot,Christ never did even when he needed to.Like you said,i am directing Jer 31:33-35 to you.dont force your view on anyone instead let God teach them himself instead of arguing.
Arguing depicts you are not Christlike but you seem to know the scriptures yet try to keep quiet rather than arguing.Please take my advice.
God bless you

2 Likes

Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by Kobojunkie: 7:46pm On Jun 05, 2020
PRE4:
You argue a lot,Christ never did even when he needed to.Like you said,i am directing Jer 31:33-35 to you.dont force your view on anyone instead let God teach them himself instead of arguing.
Arguing depicts you are not Christlike but you seem to know the scriptures yet try to keep quiet rather than arguing.Please take my advice.
God bless you
Jer 31 vs 33-35 , I believe, but I would like to know what it is that you do not understand?

Does arguing depict that I am not Christ-like? undecided
Jesus Christ argued with the Pharisees regularly, right? One could even say He seemed to enjoy it too. grin
If I enjoy doing some of the same things Christ did, what is unChristlike about it? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Christians Are Not Afraid Of Atheists. by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jun 05, 2020
Kobojunkie:

Jer 31 vs 33-35 , I believe, but I would like to know what it is that you do not understand?

Does arguing depict that I am not Christ-like? undecided
Jesus Christ argued with the Pharisees regularly, right? One could even say He seemed to enjoy it too. grin
If I enjoy doing some of the same things Christ did, what is unChristlike about it? undecided undecided undecided

Sorry sir

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Christiana Oluwasesin Was Brutally Murdered For Allegedly Tearing The Quran / Reason Why Christianity Is Not A SCAM! / Another Loss For Creationism In The American Courts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.