Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,346 members, 7,954,405 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 06:15 PM

Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? (3368 Views)

BTEL Becomes Nigeria’s Newest Entrant To Compete With MTN, Glo As Mobile Network / If You Have A BVN And It Is Linked To Any Mobile Network, Please Read This / How Google Plans On Replacing Android With Fuschia OS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by Blackmiserable(m): 6:48pm On Jun 05, 2020
I mean it would be nice to browse without unnecessary permutations, or checking data balance.

Shouldn't there be special incentives for people who rely on the web

Service provider of many countries do, but why here? For $99 AUD you can surf the unlimited plan in Australia on Telstra, the best service provider there. That's just less than 25 thousand naira.

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by huptin(m): 7:25pm On Jun 05, 2020
With 12,500 you can get unlimited data on wifi. Com and with 18k you will get same on Spectranet

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by Kingseex1(m): 7:30pm On Jun 05, 2020
huptin:
With 12,500 you can get unlimited data on wifi. Com and with 18k you will get same on Spectranet

like how long?
Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by Pearlyakin(m): 9:00pm On Jun 05, 2020
In foreign countries you have plans for unlimited calls and data to surf the Internet, but we don't have such here in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by huptin(m): 9:29pm On Jun 05, 2020
Kingseex1:

like how long?

One month

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by Blackmiserable(m): 9:52pm On Jun 05, 2020
huptin:
This only works in Lagos. No other state has it.
Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by AshipaEk0: 11:07pm On Jun 05, 2020
Those places you are referring to, the unlimited is not on mobile data.

the problem here is last mile connectivity.

You should normally not be relying on mobile GSM data.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by hpk(m): 3:51am On Jun 06, 2020
huptin:

The data you're talking about is not unlimited per se, it's capped data ranging from 80gb-100gb. Plus e dey finish.

6 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by phemmyfour: 7:31am On Jun 06, 2020
Blackmiserable:
I mean it would be nice to browse without unnecessary permutations, or checking data balance.

Service provider of many countries do, but why here? For $99 AUD you can surf the unlimited plan in Australia on Telstra, the best service provider there. That's just less than 25 thousand naira.
Can you afford it?
Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by anonimi2018: 10:03am On Jun 06, 2020
phemmyfour:
Can you afford it?

That's not the issue. And let me tell you, there are many people in Nigeria that can afford it

5 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by Iolo(m): 10:43am On Jun 06, 2020
Fiberone - NGN10,800 / mth
Wifi.com.ng - NGN12-13k / mth
Swift Network - NGN20-24k / mth

All are fully unlimited with speeds above 2MPBs.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by dryakson(m): 10:55am On Jun 06, 2020
Pearlyakin:
In foreign countries you have plans for unlimited calls and data to surf the Internet, but we don't have such here in Nigeria.
Nigerians will abuse it.
I remember when we were enjoying a free WiFi in my campus back then. The speed was at top speed of 10mb/students ended up abusing it and the mgt had to clock the speed to 500kb/s.
Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by dryakson(m): 10:56am On Jun 06, 2020
Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by Purplekush(m): 12:36pm On Jun 06, 2020
it's more profitable for the network service providers to give out data in small exhaustible chunks

Me Ayam tired of asking MTN and Glo for an unlimited plan. I've called and called. Na Swift I de manage small small. Nigeria angry
Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by JuventusFc(m): 1:02pm On Jun 06, 2020
Swift MIFI + SIM available for sale. Location is Lagos
Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by OneKinGuy(m): 1:03pm On Jun 06, 2020
I think it's because we have high expectations and tend to easy forget Nigeria is a third world countries and we simply can't enjoy what first world countries enjoy, at least not yet.

Also, there is noting like Unlimited Anywhere (at least for consumers, Don't know what big tech companies uses) . Every isp in the world has The Fair Usage Policy(FUP)
Fair Usage Policy: This is typically implemented by Internet Service Providers, wherein they put a cap on usage at a higher speed to heavier users to prevent them from hogging the greater bandwidth. Typically, for Unlimited Usage Plans, the FuP cap is set, so that, beyond that cap, the access speed is reduced

so you can understand why no network in Nigeria can provide unlimited data plans.

5 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by Akunwafor(m): 1:16pm On Jun 06, 2020
dryakson:
Nigerians will abuse it.
I remember when we were enjoying a free WiFi in my campus back then. The speed was at top speed of 10mb/students ended up abusing it and the mgt had to clock the speed to 500kb/s.

When you don't know your right, people will treat you like cattle.

What I do/download/stream is my business. There is nothing like abuse.

They just couldn't afford to pay for unlimited browsing.

I did a business management course in the UK and you should see where professors and phd students are discussing their research and thesis with scholars across the world all online.

You think it's the useless internet in unilag that they'll use to do that one, no!

@op, it's not like you can't unlimited internet but if these companies should give it to you as it really is, you'd complain about the cost.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by Akunwafor(m): 1:21pm On Jun 06, 2020
OneKinGuy:
I think it's because we have high expectations and tend to easy forget Nigeria is a third world countries and we simply can't enjoy what first world countries enjoy, at least not yet.

Also, there is noting like Unlimited Anywhere (at least for consumers, Don't know what big tech companies uses) . Every isp in the world has The Fair Usage Policy(FUP)

so you can understand why no network in Nigeria can provide unlimited data plans.

Don't dull it.

Very few companies do FUP abroad, especially the US.

Very few.
Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by Ahmedsuleiman(m): 1:42pm On Jun 06, 2020
JuventusFc:
Swift MIFI + SIM available for sale. Location is Lagos

How much do you want to sell the MIFI and SIM and what is your locatin in LagosKindly give ur digit as well.
Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by DeejayTeeno(m): 1:46pm On Jun 06, 2020
Blackmiserable:

Vision NexT Millennium!
cool
Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by PlsBanMe: 2:11pm On Jun 06, 2020
Who can help with software to unlock Airtel vida m2 mifi ?
Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jun 06, 2020
dryakson:
Nigerians will abuse it.
What do you mean by this? Will the unlimited be for free?

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by JuventusFc(m): 2:46pm On Jun 06, 2020
Ahmedsuleiman:

How much do you want to sell the MIFI and SIM and what is your locatin in LagosKindly give ur digit as well.
10k. 08028864682
Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jun 06, 2020
I learnt NIGERIA'S UNLIMITED is like 120GiGaBytes.
UNLIMITED should always be unlimited, like what is obtainable in Diaspora.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by 2cul2care: 3:38pm On Jun 06, 2020
Because our network providers or Internet service providers are thieves, even those who claim to run unlimited plans like spectranet, its all lies, once you use about 100gb they throttle the sub.

Even South Africa here, has numerous service providers giving unlimited Internet service but Nigeria here our case is always different.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by Pearlyakin(m): 4:35pm On Jun 06, 2020
dryakson:
Nigerians will abuse it.
Hmmm
Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by espn(m): 4:52pm On Jun 06, 2020
hpk:

The data you're talking about is not unlimited per se, it's capped data ranging from 80gb-100gb. Plus e dey finish.
nah...what they do is that they have capped it ut will tell you its unlimited. Once you surpass the capped data(known to the only) The speed of your network becomes very slow...

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by hpk(m): 5:12pm On Jun 06, 2020
espn:
nah...what they do is that they have capped it ut will tell you its unlimited. Once you surpass the capped data(known to the only) The speed of your network becomes very slow...

At the end of the slow network it stops to connect. It happened to my smile in January, that was how I knew about it when I complained to their salesperson at Jabi lake mall Abuja.
Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by Ejadike(m): 6:20pm On Jun 06, 2020
huptin:
is that the initial amount one would start with?
Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by Ejadike(m): 6:30pm On Jun 06, 2020
Blackmiserable:

i doubt if mobile internet has the unlimited package
Re: Why Don't We Have Unlimited Data Plans On Any Mobile Network? by Blackmiserable(m): 7:09pm On Jun 06, 2020
Iolo:
Fiberone - NGN10,800 / mth
Wifi.com.ng - NGN12-13k / mth
Swift Network - NGN20-24k / mth

All are fully unlimited with speeds above 2MPBs.

But Lagos is not the only state in this country. We have 35 more states, bro.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Phone's Screen Light Goes Off When I'm On Call / 5 Cheapest 5G Phones You Could Buy Today / Tecno N7 And Infinix Race Bolt: Let's Talk About Their Battery Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.