Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,770 members, 7,809,969 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:02 PM

Why Is Christianity So Divided? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is Christianity So Divided? (1025 Views)

Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? / Is Christianity About To Collapse? Israel Approves LGBTQ Surrogacy / Why Is Christianity Divided With So Many Denomination Unlike Muslim. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Christianity So Divided? by pressplay411(m): 8:25am On Jun 07, 2020
Like a lot of Nigerians, I was born into a Christian home but later personally rededicated myself to Christ.

It was a great experience for me personally choosing to follow Christ. I felt his love, the presence of the Holyspirit and so I decided to be discipled.

However, I realised that the body of Christ is divided, even as a local assembly where I worshipped.

Denominationalism is probably the greatest scourge of the church. I remember whenever we went for evangelism it was basically to get people to leave their church and start fellowshiping with us.
In fact you're not really a Christian until you fellowshiped with us.

I also joined a few interdenominational fellowships, most notably Discipleship classes by Bro Gbile.
In this fellowship I realised they condemned most church denominations.
If you've not been in their Discipleship class you're not yet a Christian.

I know of churches where they don't even allow marriages outside their denomination.

It makes me wonder how did we get here since God is not an author of confusion. We are supposed to be united if indeed we believe in the same Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 12:12-14
For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ.
For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.
For in fact the body is not one member but many.

This scripture makes me question what the body of Christ has become.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by Stephenomozzy(m): 8:38am On Jun 07, 2020
Too many people thinking they have the best and most accurate approach to God. Very few follow the Christ example. Many others see the faith as a way of plying a trade of charisma rather than truly doing what Christianity is really about.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by SouthNigerian: 8:40am On Jun 07, 2020
Because Christianity is no longer living from its root.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by Oluromantic: 8:46am On Jun 07, 2020
Well what I've discovered is God chooses a man, shares his visions with him on why he's choosing him, and gives him some instructions that has results attached to them if obeyed. But however, God doesn't choose the doctrine for the man, any doctrine the man decides to choose so long they do not affect God's vision for raising him, God is ok with it. God also doesn't attempt to change the basic personality or lifestyle of the man he chooses so long they do not obstruct his visions for choosing him.

For instance, some men of God e.g the overseer of rccg is softspoken yet has the largest Pentecostal congregation in Nigeria. That of Mfm and living faith are action-driven, spiritually violent men, yet God is ok with it too. In the bible, the same God who called the firebrand Elijah also called the soft and shy Jeremiah. Some say they don't want drums as part of their musical instruments, God is not bothered since it doesn't stop him from receiving their worship. Some say no female trousers and make up and some says there shd be. In all God is not concerned. Whether u marry outside ur denomination or not, its the overseer who decides that. Some overseers like idahosa when he was alive loved to wear agbada yet God worked thru him, some like adeboye love short-sleeved shirts and God is also working thru him. Congregation members however love to wear what their overseer wears too while some see an agbada wearing pastor as proud and unnecessarily flamboyant. God minds his business over all of that.

God's concern is how much results is he getting back from the talent he's given you or what he has called u for. He calls some to preach salvation, some to preach deliverance, some faith, some walking bond with God, some liberating speeches. That is why a pastor or xtain can know about salvation but not know abt deliverance or proper faith application. Some know about faith and not know about restitution.

But the idea of "my denomination is better than ur own" is human-borne. It's not different from racism of skin color happening all over the world. God is not concerned about it bcus in heaven, there are no congregation. In fact a person who has been congregationally bias will blame himself when he gets to heaven as those in the churches he looked down on will make heaven.. e.g most Pentecostal xtains don't believe Cele and c&s are heaven-interested but they will be surprised. All the racism fight too will receive it's shock there cus there's no white or black man in heaven

My conclusion is, be loyal to the denomination you belong and embrace other xtains even if they do not belong to ur doctrine cus heaven is even for all.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by BackllGodNaija: 8:55am On Jun 07, 2020
Different interests.

Not just solely God's as it was at the time.
Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by Freestainworld(m): 9:21am On Jun 07, 2020
judgement will surely start from the church, the church is so divided that we see ourselves differently if we don't fellowship in the same church, I had the experience when I wanted to settle with a particular lady, her parents insisted I join their church before they give in their consent, but trust me, I told them that is never gonna happen, you can't dictate to another man on how to live his life, you feel your decision is the best, that is the same way I feel about mine, long story short, never married the babe again, and God sent an angel who I am chilling with today.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by hakeem4(m): 9:23am On Jun 07, 2020
Because every single religion is man-made.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by Nobody: 9:40am On Jun 07, 2020
What you are talking about is not restricted to just Christianity as religion.

It happens in almost every single religion out there. If not all of them. Name it; Islam[over 70 sects], Buddhism[I can count about 3], Hinduism[4 or 5], Shintoism[countless], Jainism[2], Judaism[countless]...

Should I go on?

Give it a rest already. Sectarianism will continue to be a thing in religion as long as ideologies continue to differ.

And let's not forget the fact that there are also selfish interests involved in some of these splits too. And I think that that has got to be the main driving force behind many of these schisms.

There is no way Christianity would have escaped it.

It is the world order. Live with it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by Nobody: 9:40am On Jun 07, 2020
hakeem4:
Because every single religion is man-made.

You said it all.
Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by Reality11: 9:49am On Jun 07, 2020
Christianity has thousands of denominations and sects each almost having a different teaching, doctrine and way of interpreting the Bible and how they view what is contained in it.

The belief that their is a superman in the sky who created the universe is the only thing they all agreed with.

Put 10 different denominations in a room and tell them to discuss religion, Christianity, Bible doctrines they would end up arguing.

And they wonder why atheist argue or question their belief.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by petra1(m): 10:04am On Jun 07, 2020
pressplay411:
Like a lot of Nigerians, I was born into a Christian home but later personally rededicated myself to Christ.

It was a great experience for me personally choosing to follow Christ. I felt his love, the presence of the Holyspirit and so I decided to be discipled.

However, I realised that the body of Christ is divided, even as a local assembly where I worshipped.

Denominationalism is probably the greatest scourge of the church. I remember whenever we went for evangelism it was basically to get people to leave their church and start fellowshiping with us.

I also joined a few interdenominational fellowships, most notably Discipleship classes by Bro Gbile.

I know of churches where they don't even allow marriages outside their denomination.

It makes me wonder how did we get here since God is not an author of confusion. We are supposed to be united if indeed we believe in the same Jesus Christ.

For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ.
For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.

Denomination is not a problem . It was there in the early church . Condemnation and judgementalism is the problem . We can have demonination and still be United. Denomination is according to revelation of truth . I cant blame you for the truth you dont kkow but I should accept you on the bases of your profession of christ lordship
Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by budaatum: 10:26am On Jun 07, 2020
What you call "divided", I call God building up a people of power in knowledge and wisdom as we learn from one another and grow. For we are mere clay until the Infinitely Wise God breathes through our nostrils to make us human as is being done here.

The only issue is, some hold their nose so the breath of God does not enter. But it's their nose and they have the right to not be stunk up.

Almighty and everlasting God, who hast revealed thyself as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and dost ever live and reign in the perfect unity of love: Grant that we may always hold firmly and joyfully to this faith, and, living in praise of thy divine majesty, may finally be one in thee; who art three persons in one God, world without end. Amen.

Happy Trinity Sunday!
The day we are stunk by the Holy Ghost!

Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by pressplay411(m): 11:25am On Jun 07, 2020
SouthNigerian:
Because Christianity is no longer living from its root.

Can you elaborate?
Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by pressplay411(m): 11:26am On Jun 07, 2020
Freestainworld:
judgement will surely start from the church, the church is so divided that we see ourselves differently if we don't fellowship in the same church, I had the experience when I wanted to settle with a particular lady, her parents insisted I join their church before they give in their consent, but trust me, I told them that is never gonna happen, you can't dictate to another man on how to live his life, you feel your decision is the best, that is the same way I feel about mine, long story short, never married the babe again, and God sent an angel who I am chilling with today.

This is very common especially in the orthodox churches. This is not common in pentecostals.
Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by pressplay411(m): 11:30am On Jun 07, 2020
budaatum:
What you call "divided", I call God building up a people of power in knowledge and wisdom as we learn from one another and grow. For we are mere clay until the Infinitely Wise God breathes through our nostrils to make us human as is being done here.

The only issue is, some hold their nose so the breath of God does not enter. But it's their nose and they have the right to not be stunk up.

Almighty and everlasting God, who hast revealed thyself as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and dost ever live and reign in the perfect unity of love: Grant that we may always hold firmly and joyfully to this faith, and, living in praise of thy divine majesty, may finally be one in thee; who art three persons in one God, world without end. Amen.

Happy Trinity Sunday!
The day we are stunk by the Holy Ghost!

Do you really believe this is part of Gods9plan in building his church (eclesia)?
Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by Myer(m): 11:35am On Jun 07, 2020
petra1:

Denomination is not a problem . It was there in the early church . Condemnation and judgementalism is the problem . We can have demonination and still be United. Denomination is according to revelation of truth . I cant blame you for the truth you dont kkow but I should accept you on the bases of your profession of christ lordship

If denomination is not the problem how come different denominations condemn one another?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by Myer(m): 11:38am On Jun 07, 2020
Reality11:
Christianity has thousands of denominations and sects each almost having a different teaching, doctrine and way of interpreting the Bible and how they view what is contained in it.

The belief that their is a superman in the sky who created the universe is the only thing they all agreed with.

Put 10 different denominations in a room and tell them to discuss religion, Christianity, Bible doctrines they would end up arguing.

And they wonder why atheist argue or question their belief.

Even in the same denomination you'll be surprised how they don't agree on the same thing, talkless of inter-denominations.

Christianity is a good attempt to bring good into the world however, just like every other religion selfish interests have consumed its purpose.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by Nobody: 11:47am On Jun 07, 2020
pressplay411:

People are clamouring for number. Period!

For some, differences in their beliefs and doctrines is what is causing division.

May God help us.
Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by Freestainworld(m): 12:18pm On Jun 07, 2020
pressplay411:

This is very common especially in the orthodox churches. This is not common in pentecostals.
Its a Pentecostal church
Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by budaatum: 12:41pm On Jun 07, 2020
pressplay411:

Do you really believe this is part of God's plan in building his church (eclesia)?
Well. It is written that, 'God created us, both male and female God created us', so I cannot possibly see how our behaviour is not of God's knowings.

Perhaps instead of accepting God's plan to evolve before us, we, mud, assume to know God's plan and want to be in control of it?

It would be funny if it were true.
Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by budaatum: 12:43pm On Jun 07, 2020
Myer:

If denomination is not the problem how come different denominations condemn one another?
Even inside my own heart, my legions form denominations and we condemn one another!
Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jun 07, 2020
We have forgotten our first love and we fail to understand that no matter how segregated our belief might be,we are one body in Christ
Christianity division did not just started today,it was happening from the onset.1Corinthians 1:10-17

But i believe that the reason for the division is the distinct beliefs of over- religious fanatics like the pharisees in those days.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by BlowYourMind: 1:02pm On Jun 07, 2020
Unity is quite impossible when you have the authentic, lot of people with the fake will crip in to destroy it.
Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jun 07, 2020
BlowYourMind:
Unity is quite impossible when you have the authentic, lot of people with the fake will crip in to destroy it.

Exactly bro.Until everyone realises that Christianity as a religion is your relationship with God not man made doctrines then Unity will be attained.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by Hiswordxray(m): 1:32pm On Jun 07, 2020
pressplay411
When you zoom in on the parts of a body, you will think all that exist is that part. For example, if you are laying on a table and I take a picture of you and zoom in on your hand so that the rest doesn't show in the picture. Anybody who looks at that picture would think the hand is all that there is. They would think someone cut a piece of hand on the the table.

If I continue like that take several parts of your body, zooming in only on those parts, cutting out the rest, then I will have scattered pictures of different parts of your body on a table. Yes, we would have individual scattered pieces and people would not know it is actually one body, one person. This is exactly how the Church is today. We have denominations and teachers who have zoom in one part of Christ, making it look as if that part is all there is.

But if I should stop zooming in, and I just take a picture of the whole of your body then people would finally see that it is one body with different parts. These various parts represented by different denominations and movements is actually one body, one person (Christ). These denominations and movements have been presenting a view of different parts to us, that is why we are so divided. But if only we have a view of the whole body, we will see how the different parts are actually joined together to form one body.

This is what I am trying to do in a course that I started. The course is titled Oneness With The Truth . There I am presenting an wholistic view of Christ, and I am demonstrating how the difference parts fit together into one body. My hope is that many Christians come to take this course and then our view will change.

Now, concerning practicing oneness as a body, we will need a structure that will allow such practice. And I have discovered a structure called the ecclesia, that would allow for the practice of unity and oneness in the midst of diversity. Ecclesia allows us to maintain our individual uniqueness and the diversity of the body, yet ensuring oneness and unity in the body of Christ.

I wrote more about this structure in a post here on Nairaland. This is the link:
https://www.nairaland.com/5650436/ecclesia-vs-church-system-better

Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by pressplay411(m): 5:11pm On Dec 31, 2022
Hiswordxray:
pressplay411
When you zoom in on the parts of a body, you will think all that exist is that part. For example, if you are laying on a table and I take a picture of you and zoom in on your hand so that the rest doesn't show in the picture. Anybody who looks at that picture would think the hand is all that there is. They would think someone cut a piece of hand on the the table.

If I continue like that take several parts of your body, zooming in only on those parts, cutting out the rest, then I will have scattered pictures of different parts of your body on a table. Yes, we would have individual scattered pieces and people would not know it is actually one body, one person. This is exactly how the Church is today. We have denominations and teachers who have zoom in one part of Christ, making it look as if that part is all there is.

But if I should stop zooming in, and I just take a picture of the whole of your body then people would finally see that it is one body with different parts. These various parts represented by different denominations and movements is actually one body, one person (Christ). These denominations and movements have been presenting a view of different parts to us, that is why we are so divided. But if only we have a view of the whole body, we will see how the different parts are actually joined together to form one body.

This is what I am trying to do in a course that I started. The course is titled Oneness With The Truth . There I am presenting an wholistic view of Christ, and I am demonstrating how the difference parts fit together into one body. My hope is that many Christians come to take this course and then our view will change.

Now, concerning practicing oneness as a body, we will need a structure that will allow such practice. And I have discovered a structure called the ecclesia, that would allow for the practice of unity and oneness in the midst of diversity. Ecclesia allows us to maintain our individual uniqueness and the diversity of the body, yet ensuring oneness and unity in the body of Christ.

I wrote more about this structure in a post here on Nairaland. This is the link:
https://www.nairaland.com/5650436/ecclesia-vs-church-system-better

This argument can be used to justify that all monotheistic religions are also just different parts of one body.
Which I don't believe you agree with.
Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:46am On Jan 01, 2023
pressplay411:

This argument can be used to justify that all monotheistic religions are also just different parts of one body.
Which I don't believe you agree with.

You only need to know what the Bible said and thoroughly meditate on three persons: God, Jesus and Satan. Then try to find out what part Satan is playing that Jesus has come to overturn. 1John 3:8

First of all i want you to know that Jesus' group has just one line of thought and they are strongly united in faith! John 17:22
However Satan initiated his own agents right in the gathering of Jesus' group {1John 2:18 compare to Matthew 13:25} this is the reason for so many contradicting teachings and conflicting doctrines yet all these different sects are claiming denominations of the body of Christ. So it's left to each sincere and honest hearted individual who truly love God to unravel the secret.
Today Jesus' group has been separated from among Satan's numerous religious groups claiming Christians {Revelations 18:4} God has given His own worshipers a new group name {Isaiah 65:15} what we are waiting for now is the destruction of Satan's agents and their religious groups. Revelations 17:5 & 16

God bless you and may you have PEACE!
Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by Kobojunkie: 6:57am On Jan 01, 2023
pressplay411:
Like a lot of Nigerians, I was born into a Christian home but later personally rededicated myself to Christ.It was a great experience for me personally choosing to follow Christ. I felt his love, the presence of the Holyspirit and so I decided to be disciples. However, I realised that the body of Christ is divided, even as a local assembly where I worshipped.

Denominationalism is probably the greatest scourge of the church. I remember whenever we went for evangelism it was basically to get people to leave their church and start fellowshiping with us. In fact you're not really a Christian until you fellowshiped with us. I also joined a few interdenominational fellowships, most notably Discipleship classes by Bro Gbile. In this fellowship I realised they condemned most church denominations. If you've not been in their Discipleship class you're not yet a Christian. I know of churches where they don't even allow marriages outside their denomination. It makes me wonder how did we get here since God is not an author of confusion. We are supposed to be united if indeed we believe in the same Jesus Christ. For in fact the body is not one member but many. This scripture makes me question what the body of Christ has become.
Religion is a system of power, and control built atop on theologies and traditions of men, designed by men with which to rule over their fellow men. God never gave Religion to men. He gave to the Israelites His Law, YHWH, a National Constitution — the Law of Moses — but men decided they would rather have for themselves Judaism, the religion. God then gave Jesus Christ, His Law, and Gospel in the Kingdom of God, to the House of Jacob; but again, men decided they would rather have for themselves religion and so here we are today with a religion called Christianity that is nothing of what God in fact desires from men. The reason for the division you observe in your churches has to do with the fact that the religion itself has nothing to do with God's Law, Jesus Christ. undecided
Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by pressplay411(m): 10:44am On Jan 02, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Religion is a system of power, and control built atop on theologies and traditions of men, designed by men with which to rule over their fellow men. God never gave Religion to men. He gave to the Israelites His Law, YHWH, a National Constitution — the Law of Moses — but men decided they would rather have for themselves Judaism, the religion. God then gave Jesus Christ, His Law, and Gospel in the Kingdom of God, to the House of Jacob; but again, men decided they would rather have for themselves religion and so here we are today with a religion called Christianity that is nothing of what God in fact desires from men. The reason for the division you observe in your churches has to do with the fact that the religion itself has nothing to do with God's Law, Jesus Christ. undecided

Your definition of religion seems quite biased.
Because the knowledge of God comes through studying under a religion.
If you believe in Jesus Christ, you'll have read in scripture that he practiced Judaism from childhood until he became of age in his ministry.
And today, we need Christianity to know God through Jesus Christ.
Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by Kobojunkie: 3:37pm On Jan 02, 2023
pressplay411:
1. Your definition of religion seems quite biased.
Because the knowledge of God comes through studying under a religion.
2. If you believe in Jesus Christ, you'll have read in scripture that he practiced Judaism from childhood until he became of age in his ministry.
And today, we need Christianity to know God through Jesus Christ.
1. I "biased" definition happens to come mainly from the teaching of Jesus Christ warning His followers warning them that the doctrines and traditions of men are nothing but lies that deceive men away from God's Truth - Matthew 15 vs 1 - 14 & Mark 7 vs 1 - 13. undecided

2. Jesus Christ never practiced Judaism, the religion. Instead Jesus Christ lived His life in submission and obedience to God's Law and Covenant in the Land of Israel, the National Constitution of the Nation of Israel in the Land of Canaan. Judaism was the religion practiced by the Pharisees and Saducees, and many of the teachers of the Law of His time, and Jesus Christ openly railed against it casting their doctrines and traditions as nothing but lies with which they Shackled the people with for their gain. undecided
Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by pressplay411(m): 3:53pm On Jan 02, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. I "biased" definition happens to come mainly from the teaching of Jesus Christ warning His followers warning them that the doctrines and traditions of men are nothing but lies that deceive men away from God's Truth - Matthew 15 vs 1 - 14 & Mark 7 vs 1 - 13. undecided

2. Jesus Christ never practiced Judaism, the religion. Instead Jesus Christ lived His life in submission and obedience to God's Law and Covenant in the Land of Israel, the National Constitution of the Nation of Israel in the Land of Canaan. Judaism was the religion practiced by the Pharisees and Saducees, and many of the teachers of the Law of His time, and Jesus Christ openly railed against it casting their doctrines and traditions as nothing but lies with which they Shackled the people with for their gain. undecided

The challenge I've observed concerning you,, if I may share is that you only accept the synoptic gospels as word of God.
As good as that is, you need to accept the compendium of the Bible as the Word of God. Both Old and New Testaments and Pray for the Understaning of the Holyspirit.

I believe you're a vessel that will do mighty works in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour.
Re: Why Is Christianity So Divided? by Kobojunkie: 3:57pm On Jan 02, 2023
pressplay411:
1. The challenge I've observed concerning you,, if I may share is that you only accept the synoptic gospels as word of God.

2. As good as that is, you need to accept the compendium of the Bible as the Word of God. Both Old and New Testaments and Pray for the Understaning of the Holyspirit. I believe you're a vessel that will do mighty works in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour.
1. There is only one Gospel--- the New Covenant Law of the Kingdom of God --- and it is Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ told you that He alone is The Way to the Father, The Truth of God and The Eternal Life of God. So, what other Gospel do you cling to in His stead? undecided

2. Accept the compendium of the Bible? I don't understand. Scripture does not begin or end with your Bible as there are other scriptures outside of your Bible. undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gospel Singer Amaka Gift | Biography | Profile / Michael Essien And The LGBT Suport Saga:you Beter Know This Before It's Too Late / Prayer Against Picking Snail In The Dream

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.