Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,790 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:37 AM

Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? (1593 Views)

Burial Of Jummai Abubakar, Tafawa Balewa’s Wife (Photos) / Maryam Babangida And Princess Diana At The Tafawa Balewa Square (Throwback Photo / Abubakar Tafawa Balewa Welcomed In America In 1961 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? by FortuneDeGreat(m): 10:42am On Jun 07, 2020
Going by the claims of the leader of miyetti Allah, Bello Abdulahi Bodejo in an interview with the sun newspaper few days ago that the Fulani produced the first and only prime minister of Nigeria which we all know to be Alh. Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, the first thing that actually struck my mind is "was ATB actually a Fulani by ethnicity?"

It prompted me into going for a detailed information about the ethnicity of the great man, after a careful study on that I was convinced that the Fulani are either laying claims on other component groups in their region or has fully succeeded in effecting a total assimilative principle thereby infusing in it's entirety the whole culture, religion and tradition of the Fulanis in others.

Going by record, Rt Hon. Sir Alhaji Abubakar Tafawa Balewa was born in December 1912 in the present day Tafawa Balewa LGA in southern Bauchi state to the family of Yakubu Dan Zala of the minority Gere ethnic group.

Furthermore, I discovered that just few original Fulanis have ruled Nigeria and they are- Shehu Shagari, Umar Musa Yar-Adua and Mohammadu Buhari, others are either of Hausa or minority folk.

For more clarification, I would like fellow nairalanders to lend their views and contributions to this.

Mynd44
OAM4J
Re: Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? by Nobody: 10:46am On Jun 07, 2020
He's a mixed Fulani
Re: Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? by FortuneDeGreat(m): 10:48am On Jun 07, 2020
MinorityOpinion:
He's a mixed Fulani
His father was purely a Gere man, not mixed, his mother's father was a Gere man while the mother was Fulani, how come would he then be referred to as a Fulani?

2 Likes

Re: Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? by Corporate2020: 10:49am On Jun 07, 2020
FortuneDeGreat:
His father was purely a Gere man, not mixed, his mother's father was a Gere man while the mother was Fulani, how come would he then be referred to as a Fulani?

Success has many children while failure is an orphan. If you ask me where I am from, I will tell you that I am from Awolowo's state. But, I am an Egba man while Awolowo is an Ijebu man. Egba and Ijebu have no ancestral relationship. As a matter of fact, Ijebus are from Sudan and are not Oduduwa's children. But because Awolowo was a great man, I will associate with him. Tafawa Balewa was not a Fulani man. If you call him a Northerner, you are right, but he is definitely not a Fulani man.

5 Likes

Re: Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? by Nobody: 11:05am On Jun 07, 2020
FortuneDeGreat:

Mixed Fulani as in Gere/Fulani
Re: Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? by Igweeeee: 11:31am On Jun 07, 2020
[s]
MinorityOpinion:

[/s]
Re: Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? by Nobody: 11:32am On Jun 07, 2020
Corporate2020:

Success has many children while failure is an orphan. If you ask me where I am from, I will tell you that I am from Awolowo's state. But, I am an Egba man while Awolowo is an Ijebu man. Egba and Ijebu have no ancestral relationship. As a matter of fact, Ijebus are from Sudan and are not Oduduwa's children. But because Awolowo was a great man, I will associate with him. Tafawa Balewa was not a Fulani man. If you call him a Northerner, you are right, but he is definitely not a Fulani man.

Wayray... Ijebu from Sudan abi from Mauritius gringringrin
Re: Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? by godofuck231: 11:34am On Jun 07, 2020
he was Chadian, his father moved from Chad and settled in nigeria, "Tafawa Balewa village takes its name from two corrupted Fulani words: "Tafari" (rock) and Baleri (black)." The area has been known for sectarian and ethnic violence over the years. The major ethnic groups are the Sayawa and Hausa/Fulani. An Associated Press story states, "The Sayawas are in the majority in the town and its surrounding villages, but their traditional rulers have been of the predominantly Muslim Fulani ethnic group. The Sayawas have demanded a separate traditional ruler, which has led to attacks and counterattacks over the past two decades." his father was a settler
Re: Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? by huptin(m): 11:35am On Jun 07, 2020
FortuneDeGreat:
Going by the claims of the leader of miyetti Allah, Bello Abdulahi Bodejo in an interview with the sun newspaper few days ago that the Fulani produced the first and only prime minister of Nigeria which we all know to be Alh. Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, the first thing that actually struck my mind is "was ATB actually a Fulani by ethnicity?"

It prompted me into going for a detailed information about the ethnicity of the great man, after a careful study on that I was convinced that the Fulani are either laying claims on other component groups in their region or has fully succeeded in effecting a total assimilative principle thereby infusing in it's entirety the whole culture, religion and tradition of the Fulanis in others.

Going by record, Rt Hon. Sir Alhaji Abubakar Tafawa Balewa was born in December 1912 in the present day Tafawa Balewa LGA in southern Bauchi state to the family of Yakubu Dan Zala of the minority Gere ethnic group.

Furthermore, I discovered that just few original Fulanis have ruled Nigeria and they are- Shehu Shagari, Umar Musa Yar-Adua and Mohammadu Buhari, others are either of Hausa or minority folk.

For more clarification, I would like fellow nairalanders to lend their views and contributions to this.

Mynd44
OAM4J

Yar'adua was Tuareg and not Fulani
Re: Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? by drinkwaternow: 11:48am On Jun 07, 2020
No hausa has ever ruled Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? by Nobody: 11:57am On Jun 07, 2020
godofuck231:
he was Chadian, his father moved from Chad and settled in nigeria,
"Tafawa Balewa village takes its name from two corrupted Fulani
words: "Tafari" (rock) and Baleri (black)."
The area has been known for sectarian and ethnic violence over
the years. The major ethnic groups are the Sayawa and
Hausa/Fulani.
An Associated Press story states, "The
Sayawas are in the majority in the town and its surrounding
villages, but their traditional rulers have been of the predominantly
Muslim Fulani ethnic group. The Sayawas have demanded a
separate traditional ruler, which has led to attacks and
counterattacks over the past two decades."
his father was a settler

I heard Abacha’s parents too were from Chad, not sure how true it is but an aboki told me that Abacha didn’t care about Nigeria because he was from Chad.

2 Likes

Re: Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? by Mightymanna(m): 12:00pm On Jun 07, 2020
Sophisticated Southerners
Every northerner they see they will call him Hausa/Fulani
Re: Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? by dustmalik: 12:06pm On Jun 07, 2020
Mightymanna:
Especially when it is convenient for them. But when it is not, they go the extra mile to find out about the lineage of the Northerner.

1 Like

Re: Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? by FortuneDeGreat(m): 1:11pm On Jun 07, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

No, not mixed, the father was a Gere man as well as the mother, but the mother Fatima Inna's mother was a Fulani.
Where's the mixture?
Re: Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? by FortuneDeGreat(m): 1:14pm On Jun 07, 2020
Mightymanna:
Why are the Fulanis bent on claiming everyone up north?
What is their intention and interest in doing so?
Re: Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? by FlordFlorez(m): 1:14pm On Jun 07, 2020
Even Yar Adua is not a fulani man.
Re: Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? by FortuneDeGreat(m): 1:15pm On Jun 07, 2020
drinkwaternow:
No hausa has ever ruled Nigeria
I thought Murtala Mohammed was an Hausa man.
Re: Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? by XXLMANDIGO: 1:20pm On Jun 07, 2020
FortuneDeGreat:
Re: Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? by nku5: 1:21pm On Jun 07, 2020
He was not but he was a servant of the fulani establishment, like IBB and others after him
Re: Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? by Corporate2020: 1:30pm On Jun 07, 2020
timekeeper1:

Wayray... Ijebu from Sudan abi from Mauritius gringringrin

Everyone is from somewhere. You, I and everyone.

https://www.nairaland.com/3378902/yorubas-ijebu-descendents-north-sudans

Re: Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jun 07, 2020
Corporate2020:

N u bliv that... Does their language resembles any of the Sudanese
Re: Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? by Corporate2020: 1:36pm On Jun 07, 2020
timekeeper1:

N u bliv that... Does their language resembles any of the Sudanese

I did not say so, the King of the Ijebus said so. Ijebus are our(Egbas) closest neighbors and we both know each other's history at least to an extent.
Re: Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? by oyatz(m): 4:31pm On Jun 07, 2020
The ethnic group of the Traditional Ruler may not necessarily be the same as that of the people of the Town and examples abound all over the World e.g Ilorin, England, Kano, Onitsha etc

Tafawa Balewa's cases of sectarian crisis resulted in failures of the Fulanis Rulers to successfully impose Islam on all the inhabitants of the city such that some sayawas became christians which make cultural assimilation of the two tribes difficult unlike what happened in Kano, Ilorin or Zaria.

The Late Prime Minister's Father was an ex-slave possibly from minority Chadic tribes.

godofuck231:
he was Chadian, his father moved from Chad and settled in nigeria,
"Tafawa Balewa village takes its name from two corrupted Fulani
words: "Tafari" (rock) and Baleri (black)."
The area has been known for sectarian and ethnic violence over
the years. The major ethnic groups are the Sayawa and
Hausa/Fulani.
An Associated Press story states, "The
Sayawas are in the majority in the town and its surrounding
villages, but their traditional rulers have been of the predominantly
Muslim Fulani ethnic group. The Sayawas have demanded a
separate traditional ruler, which has led to attacks and
counterattacks over the past two decades."
his father was a settler
Re: Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? by oyatz(m): 4:37pm On Jun 07, 2020
Most people from the Core North have grand parents from different tribes.

Only few Christians/Animists in their midst that don't marry freely.

FortuneDeGreat:
No, not mixed, the father was a Gere man as well as the mother, but the mother Fatima Inna's mother was a Fulani.
Where's the mixture?
Re: Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? by Iamgrey5(m): 4:47pm On Jun 07, 2020
Corporate2020:

Everyone is from somewhere. You, I and everyone.

Ogbeni every Yoruba can actually trace their orgin to several places

Many often claim their orgin to Eygpt or Sudan

Oduduwa is not the person that gave birth to every Yoruba person but 60% of Yoruba kings are his descendant.

You are not a Yoruba if you don't know this.
Re: Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? by drinkwaternow: 12:40pm On Jun 08, 2020
FortuneDeGreat:
. he is fulani not hausa
Re: Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? by FortuneDeGreat(m): 1:17pm On Jun 08, 2020
drinkwaternow:
. he is fulani not hausa
Ok, thanks.
Re: Was Abubakar Tafawa Balewa A Fulani Indeed? by AJ245: 9:09am On Jan 29
Corporate2020:

How could Ijebus speak Yoruba and you all understand yourself.

(1) (Reply)

Obaseki Annihilated Ize Iyamu. / Southwest PDP Congress: Was Tinubu And APC Sold A Dummy? / Buhari Should Step Aside, Doesn’t Know What He’s Doing - Miyetti Allah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.