Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,464 members, 7,830,326 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:45 PM

Lovers And Mothers - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Lovers And Mothers (464 Views)

Imo Vs Anambra Ladies..which Make Better Wives And Mothers (provide Reasons) / How Nigerian Men Were Sexually Abused By Their Mothers, Sisters & 'Aunties' / Will Female Romacelanders Make Good Wives And Mothers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lovers And Mothers by samuelkew(m): 6:03pm On Jun 07, 2020
LOVERS AND MOTHERS
1. BUDDING
Until Daniel came to our house in 2017, I didn’t know his mum and my mum were friends. They’re friends that could die for each other. They’d made promises to match their son and daughter in future. One never attended a party without the other. One never gave a suitor a chance without the consent of the other. I never knew our parents used to be sworn sisters.
Daniel’s mum had always told him stories of a sister she found in a friend. His mum and her childhood friend lived together for four years in a house they rented as hostel. It was a room self-contain in a house at the street opposite Abeokuta Grammar School, Idi Aba. They read together under trees and they watched movies together. They bathed together always. They always ate together. I believed his mum was sincere that she and her childhood friend often fell sick at the same time. If Daniel’s mum and her childhood friend were not both first in class in a term, then one would be first and other, second. They’re always leading the class. His mum’s friend usually travelled to Lagos for holidays and his mum remained in Abeokuta. Each one always brought gifts for the other. I always wished for a friend like that. But instead of a sister-friend like that I found a boy-friend. Daniel used to call me Oyin which means honey. And I used that name more than any other name. We’re very close friends. We’re friends for six years because we never expressed love to each other until after we had finished WAEC in 2017. I just know we had feelings and unintentionally didn’t express them. Maybe he was too shy to say it, maybe he was afraid. Since girls do not usually do the chasing I only waited for his second coming.
Daniel’s first coming was on a Tuesday, thirteenth of November, 2012 when I ran into a snake behind our class. We’re in J.S.S 1 at that time. I had gone to the school market to buy food and pies. Although Daniel never liked girls he’s very kind to everybody. Girl’s liked him. He’s handsome. He’s fair and square shouldered. He also looked quite muscular and we had seen him proved his strength carrying things alone where two would struggle. “Snake! Snake!,” I suddenly shouted and others disappeared as if I blew warning trumpet for war. Daniel was coming from the staff room where he’d gone to meet our class teacher. Then he rushed to the place and quickly got in between me and the snake. He had no stone or stick in his hands. Maybe he didn’t think before jumping to the scene. His eyes were fixed on the snake as he gently pushed me away. It’s a tense moment. Death faced us so he wouldn’t have possibly known that his hand touched my breast when he pushed me. And I didn’t think about it until it’s all over. But I felt something that day. It’s not love. It’s a feminine wakening. He touched my body and stood in my place defenseless, beaten twice by the python. The snake escaped but badly bruised. Daniel matched it with his boots. Different stories would linger on till we finished school. But he’s rushed to FMC which was just directly adjacent our school. I wanted to stay beside him. I just felt like never leaving his side. But the health prefect stayed, our class teacher was also there and his mother would come after I had gone. The following Monday, he’s back, exquisite and clean. I think he came back better. It’s as if he had fought death and won. His confidence and smiles increased. During break time I went to him. “Daniel, thank you for saving me,” I said. My Daniel just smiled and winked. Maybe he meant nothing with his winking but it unlocked the passion in my heart. “I’m glad you’re okay now. I was just blaming myself …” I said.
“Just enjoy the peace all around you. I’d rather die than watch you get bitten by a snake,” Daniel said. At break time we went to the vendor together. And we walk together to the bus stop after closing. Since then there’s been no closing to our closeness. The farther we are from each other the deeper we yearn for each other. Holidays used to be interesting but not after that moment of my feminine priming.
Whenever I told Daniel about guys who told me they loved me he’s always strange. He’s always jealous. When I told him about Johnson, he went to Johnson and warned him to leave me alone. Johnson never listened until Daniel punched him in the face. We were in JSS 2 and Daniel said they must not spoil me. “Daniel, stop acting like my big brother,” I said. I never understood what I really meant. But I said it. Tunde never listened until Daniel kicked him hard; we were in Jss # then. Bolly didn’t listen because he’s huge and we’re in SS1. He felt like he’s adult.. He challenged Daniel. They fought. But Bolly’s fall was faster and funnier. It’s just two punches, right side and left side, Bolly fell and cried with intense pain. Then the guys left me alone. Daniel became more lovable. After being punished, given four strokes of cane for punching a fellow student, everybody liked him or feared him. To teachers, Daniel’s an upright leader. To guys, he’s a boxer or trouble maker. And to girl … the girls were jealous of me because guys fought over me not because they thought Daniel was worth their jealousy. After all Daniel had ignored them beyond their forgiveness. But I was proud of myself. I didn’t know how Daniel got to be so strong that he could beat every rival and make everyone fear him.
One day, while we waited for taxi at the bus stop in front of our school, Daniel brought out his phone from one hidden place inside his school bag, switched it on and called his mum on phone. He gave me the phone. She must have asked him to. And I spoke with her. That was in January, 2016. She’s too sweet. “Omo mi,” she said. I wondered if she called me her child as Daniel’s friend or as his girlfriend. She told me she’d been telling Daniel to bring me home. She’d only seen me in photos -photos we had taken on the day of our Inter-House sport, on Literary and Debating Day and on Cultural Day. When she said that, I looked at Daniel with surprise. “You … showed your mum my picture?” I asked. He didn’t say anything, just nodded with a smile, blushing as I was. “Yes, my child,” Daniel’s mum said. “Look, don’t come without telling me first oh, I want to welcome you like a princess. You know my son doesn’t like to talk. He’s always alone. He’s also too shy to make friends with boys. But you changed him, or you’re just different. You’re his companion. Both of you are like white and black, bread and butter, sugar and tea, soup and iyan … you know. Thank you for making my son a good boy.”
She’s right. I made Daniel a good boy. I mean he changed for me. As an only son, his mum never discouraged him from anything. She never complained about anything he did. And Daniel couldn’t do anything for himself by himself. He’s always sending friends errand and giving them money because his mum or people did virtually everything for him. If possible she’d release the invisible from her anus on his behalf and do the visible too on his behalf. Daniel didn’t know good from bad. “But why was he childish at times …” I asked. “Hmm, I am just praying that God will change him oh. I have been putting him in God’s hands since he’s born. He’s my only son, you know.” I knew what the problem was. His mum endured all his deeds, good or bad. She would then pray to God so that Daniel could change. That’s really strange to me. “Thank God he’s changing ma.” I replied.
I didn’t tell Daniel to change. But he knew I didn’t like some foolish things he was doing. The day he sent a friend to buy food and fought him for buying two pieces of meat instead of four, I didn’t speak to him throughout that day. The day Daniel tore Jide’s notebook, I frowned at him throughout the day. The only time I spoke about his behaviour … I told him what he did was devilish, was when he destroyed Chucks’ bicycle because Chucks’ flatus smelled too bad. I told him he’s childish, bad, wicked and foolish. He’s very sad. I felt sad too. But since that day he began to change because he didn’t want me to get angry. He wanted to please me. If the whole world thought he’s good and I thought otherwise he’d believe me.
In December, 2016, as we finished first term examination, I followed him home. Wow! I was wrong about Daniel. He’s not totally bad. There were boys and girls whose house weren’t worth a toilet in Daniel’s house. And they’re always telling us what they had in their houses. Big TVs, Washing machine, Big Generator, Big bathrooms, big kitchen even if it’s kitchenette and every other big thing. I told them big things too, at times. But I never lied like most of them. When I reached the house I marveled. The arch at the entrance was adorned with voluted flowers. And in the big compound I saw blocks of labyrinthian flowers forming paths to God knows where. I walked straight and entered into the house, My God! I saw lawns and trees like a mini golf pitch. I saw peacocks prancing and birds delighted to see me. The truth is I didn’t believe such a place could be in Abeokuta. There are beauties in the world. I took pictures in the compound, sat on the lawn, stayed near the birds, posed near water fountains, spread on the lawn and later ran into the paths. I almost got lost. People would see the pictures and ask, “You travelled to London? Is this America? Wow, where is this?” I just didn’t answer them.
I was afraid of waters but I still swam in the swimming pool because I trusted Daniel. He didn’t let snake bite me even when I was just a girl. He would face death now that I had fully blossom. “Daniel, is this your house or you have brought me into one big hotel?” I asked Daniel after I came out of the pool, Daniel smiled and said nothing. That smile of his … I decided I must know what utterances hid behind them. His mum had travelled out of the country that time. I learnt that Daniel had a personal driver and guard. I had seen them in school before but Daniel told me they’re his big-bros. He ran to meet them and hugged them. There’s a gymnasium and there are trainers in the house. Now that I had seen the palace I knew why even at a young age he could make Bolly cry just by throwing two punches. Men bigger than Bolly live in his mother’s house. Daniel once told me that a man must be strong enough to defend himself from any threats. But he wasn’t going to admit that it’s more than strength. He’s trained and skillful. I remembered that time, he’d punched Bolly on the sides just below the ribs. The burden of his blows must be rock breaking. As I thought of these things I just felt like there’s no one else I’d ever wanted than a man with whom I can feel loved and safe. He told me his mum employed guards and trainers for him. He didn’t know why but he’s sure it had something to do with the death of his father or his mum’s father.
“Daniel,” I’m very sorry,” said I after I found out that there were many workers in that house. I looked at him with my passionate eyes. He looked at me, askance. “For what?” he asked, “Oyin, for what?”
I found my tongue stiff and lips glued together. I just hugged him dearly and for long. “You’re not foolish. You didn’t even live like you’re different” I said. I realized there’s no way he could try, try a little to do anything by himself. Daniel told me that his mum wanted him to study abroad but she also wanted him to attend the school where she met her husband, Daniel’s father. Chief Daniel always wanted his children to attend the school he attended. He promised to create a paradise for his children so they would be satisfied with living in Nigeria. And he did. Daniel’s house was a father’s promise fulfilled. I only didn’t like that patriotic spirit he transferred to Daniel. Even our leaders who made oath to serve Nigeria romance the West and Asia like homeless peacocks and vultures. My brother always said it’s suicidal to die for Nigeria and even Angels at the gate of heaven would send Nigerian heroes to hell for a wasteful death. But if one lived in that house there’d be no need to wish for more except one has accidentally seen a greater beauty in Paris.
At sunset, Daniel and I sat beneath a tree in the compound. We faced the west and talked about the West. He loved the West so much that I found it strange that he never tried to travel out of the country. His mum wouldn’t stop him if he wanted to. She wouldn’t deny him anything, I was sure of that. I believed Nigeria would be better. I used to have hope. But Daniel didn’t. “If anyone died for this country,” he said, “the angel calling names will send the person to hell.” ‘Why did you say that,” I asked. “It’s a sin to commit suicide and that’s what it means to die for this country.” He called the country a jungle where democracy is just in principle rather than in practice. He called it a den of thieves. He called the country names. I felt uncomfortable because my mum raised me to be a patriot. I always argued with my brother about better days coming.
“I don’t understand you, Daniel. I was thinking you love the country very deep. I thought you needed some new views of life. And yes, you do need that,” I said.
“In the West animals are treated with respect,” he said.
“What’s your point?” I asked.
“The point is, if the people aren’t cared for the animals won’t be cared for.” He said.
“Yes, but there are also poor people there,” I said. “Oyin, it’s not only about money, it’s also about the people, their laws and their respect for lives and properties.”
“Daniel, you don’t mean there are no crimes or criminals there? Do you? Is there a perfect country? Aren’t they not the ones who put Africa into much of her problems …”
“Shhhh! Oyin, are you sure you’re not getting too angry? For this country’s sake? The problem is our failure to tell ourselves that we’re part of the problem, that we caused a lot of our problems. Africa wasn’t innocent. They fought wars and had slaves before colonization. Wasn’t Oyo an Empire, or Benin, or Zulu … If Oyo was an Empire does that not mean that Oyo, like other empires ruled over other places as colonies? Every people in history are guilty of power and war. The discomfited only just always seem most miserable and cheated. But the cheated was also a cheater.”
I didn’t like to hear such words. I never reasoned like that. But he told me anyway. And he’s serious. I figured the only way to get his smiles buried was to discuss Nigeria.
“It’s not the West that caused us not to use our brains. If they told us to hibernate our brains in religious and ethnic sectionalism did we not see them use theirs in tolerance and progressive innovations?”
“We’re a mismatch union, it’s the fault of those that joined us as one without healable differences or gradable compatibility” I said, as my last point. Daniel whistled. “I expected a reply but you whistled? Eh? So, …” I was still talking when I heard sounds of footsteps, ordered steps. Then I turned and saw two men coming to us, taking same steps beautifully. I loved the rhythm. One carried a basket full of fruits and the other, a basket full of drinks. A lady walked behind them in same steps, maybe not intentional ordering. They’re bringing snacks and pieces of fish, meat and chickens. They dropped them and packed the ones we’d devoured.
“We’re a mismatch reunion, you’re right,” Daniel said. “But we’re not the only multicultural country, are we? We may have problems of differences but not a good excuse for not growing.” I had never seen him unsmiling like that.
The way Daniel played with his dogs surprised me. He kissed them. “Ayanma. I’ll never let you kiss me with that mouth you have used, have been using to kiss dogs,” I said. Daniel looked at me with a mischievous smile. I felt bad for saying those words. How could I be so careless? I’d said it anyway. Then he stood up and I did the same. He walked about two steps towards me, pulled me close to himself and looked at my face. I saw it in his eyes. My heart was wary but will. I wanted to feel his pink lips. It’d be the first time someone kissed me. And slowly, he might have seen my heart begging him to act like a knight and not a servant. “Stop,” said I, weakly. “Should I stop?” he asked. “Yes, stop stop!” I muttered. But my hands … held his head close. I opened my mouth, saying no. Then I brought out my tongue for French kiss. “You wanted me to stop?” he asked again. “Yes,” I muttered again. And he stopped. I was panting. My heart was beating fast I could hear the sound, khukhu, khukhu. And I was wet in between my thighs. Why I was angry that he stopped I never knew. “Fool!” I murmured. And he smiled like a hunter whose trap had just caught the game.
The following day Daniel took me to Lagos. We sat at the backseat and discussed. The driver smiled at times though he pretended not to be listening to us. Daniel told me he’s sorry. “For what?” I asked. “For doing that to you,” he said. I told them to take me to Oshodi. I didn’t want my mum to meet him without her readiness. He told me he’d love to meet my mum that very day but I wouldn’t let him. I knew he wanted to come to my place before we finish WAEC. I wish he had been able to but he wouldn’t until we had finished WAEC.
Re: Lovers And Mothers by Dobson43: 6:08pm On Jun 07, 2020
shocked
samuelkew:
LOVERS AND MOTHERS
1. BUDDING
Until Daniel came to our house in 2017, I didn’t know his mum and my mum were friends. They’re friends that could die for each other. They’d made promises to match their son and daughter in future. One never attended a party without the other. One never gave a suitor a chance without the consent of the other. I never knew our parents used to be sworn sisters.
Daniel’s mum had always told him stories of a sister she found in a friend. His mum and her childhood friend lived together for four years in a house they rented as hostel. It was a room self-contain in a house at the street opposite Abeokuta Grammar School, Idi Aba. They read together under trees and they watched movies together. They bathed together always. They always ate together. I believed his mum was sincere that she and her childhood friend often fell sick at the same time. If Daniel’s mum and her childhood friend were not both first in class in a term, then one would be first and other, second. They’re always leading the class. His mum’s friend usually travelled to Lagos for holidays and his mum remained in Abeokuta. Each one always brought gifts for the other. I always wished for a friend like that. But instead of a sister-friend like that I found a boy-friend. Daniel used to call me Oyin which means honey. And I used that name more than any other name. We’re very close friends. We’re friends for six years because we never expressed love to each other until after we had finished WAEC in 2017. I just know we had feelings and unintentionally didn’t express them. Maybe he was too shy to say it, maybe he was afraid. Since girls do not usually do the chasing I only waited for his second coming.
Daniel’s first coming was on a Tuesday, thirteenth of November, 2012 when I ran into a snake behind our class. We’re in J.S.S 1 at that time. I had gone to the school market to buy food and pies. Although Daniel never liked girls he’s very kind to everybody. Girl’s liked him. He’s handsome. He’s fair and square shouldered. He also looked quite muscular and we had seen him proved his strength carrying things alone where two would struggle. “Snake! Snake!,” I suddenly shouted and others disappeared as if I blew warning trumpet for war. Daniel was coming from the staff room where he’d gone to meet our class teacher. Then he rushed to the place and quickly got in between me and the snake. He had no stone or stick in his hands. Maybe he didn’t think before jumping to the scene. His eyes were fixed on the snake as he gently pushed me away. It’s a tense moment. Death faced us so he wouldn’t have possibly known that his hand touched my breast when he pushed me. And I didn’t think about it until it’s all over. But I felt something that day. It’s not love. It’s a feminine wakening. He touched my body and stood in my place defenseless, beaten twice by the python. The snake escaped but badly bruised. Daniel matched it with his boots. Different stories would linger on till we finished school. But he’s rushed to FMC which was just directly adjacent our school. I wanted to stay beside him. I just felt like never leaving his side. But the health prefect stayed, our class teacher was also there and his mother would come after I had gone. The following Monday, he’s back, exquisite and clean. I think he came back better. It’s as if he had fought death and won. His confidence and smiles increased. During break time I went to him. “Daniel, thank you for saving me,” I said. My Daniel just smiled and winked. Maybe he meant nothing with his winking but it unlocked the passion in my heart. “I’m glad you’re okay now. I was just blaming myself …” I said.
“Just enjoy the peace all around you. I’d rather die than watch you get bitten by a snake,” Daniel said. At break time we went to the vendor together. And we walk together to the bus stop after closing. Since then there’s been no closing to our closeness. The farther we are from each other the deeper we yearn for each other. Holidays used to be interesting but not after that moment of my feminine priming.
Whenever I told Daniel about guys who told me they loved me he’s always strange. He’s always jealous. When I told him about Johnson, he went to Johnson and warned him to leave me alone. Johnson never listened until Daniel punched him in the face. We were in JSS 2 and Daniel said they must not spoil me. “Daniel, stop acting like my big brother,” I said. I never understood what I really meant. But I said it. Tunde never listened until Daniel kicked him hard; we were in Jss # then. Bolly didn’t listen because he’s huge and we’re in SS1. He felt like he’s adult.. He challenged Daniel. They fought. But Bolly’s fall was faster and funnier. It’s just two punches, right side and left side, Bolly fell and cried with intense pain. Then the guys left me alone. Daniel became more lovable. After being punished, given four strokes of cane for punching a fellow student, everybody liked him or feared him. To teachers, Daniel’s an upright leader. To guys, he’s a boxer or trouble maker. And to girl … the girls were jealous of me because guys fought over me not because they thought Daniel was worth their jealousy. After all Daniel had ignored them beyond their forgiveness. But I was proud of myself. I didn’t know how Daniel got to be so strong that he could beat every rival and make everyone fear him.
One day, while we waited for taxi at the bus stop in front of our school, Daniel brought out his phone from one hidden place inside his school bag, switched it on and called his mum on phone. He gave me the phone. She must have asked him to. And I spoke with her. That was in January, 2016. She’s too sweet. “Omo mi,” she said. I wondered if she called me her child as Daniel’s friend or as his girlfriend. She told me she’d been telling Daniel to bring me home. She’d only seen me in photos -photos we had taken on the day of our Inter-House sport, on Literary and Debating Day and on Cultural Day. When she said that, I looked at Daniel with surprise. “You … showed your mum my picture?” I asked. He didn’t say anything, just nodded with a smile, blushing as I was. “Yes, my child,” Daniel’s mum said. “Look, don’t come without telling me first oh, I want to welcome you like a princess. You know my son doesn’t like to talk. He’s always alone. He’s also too shy to make friends with boys. But you changed him, or you’re just different. You’re his companion. Both of you are like white and black, bread and butter, sugar and tea, soup and iyan … you know. Thank you for making my son a good boy.”
She’s right. I made Daniel a good boy. I mean he changed for me. As an only son, his mum never discouraged him from anything. She never complained about anything he did. And Daniel couldn’t do anything for himself by himself. He’s always sending friends errand and giving them money because his mum or people did virtually everything for him. If possible she’d release the invisible from her anus on his behalf and do the visible too on his behalf. Daniel didn’t know good from bad. “But why was he childish at times …” I asked. “Hmm, I am just praying that God will change him oh. I have been putting him in God’s hands since he’s born. He’s my only son, you know.” I knew what the problem was. His mum endured all his deeds, good or bad. She would then pray to God so that Daniel could change. That’s really strange to me. “Thank God he’s changing ma.” I replied.
I didn’t tell Daniel to change. But he knew I didn’t like some foolish things he was doing. The day he sent a friend to buy food and fought him for buying two pieces of meat instead of four, I didn’t speak to him throughout that day. The day Daniel tore Jide’s notebook, I frowned at him throughout the day. The only time I spoke about his behaviour … I told him what he did was devilish, was when he destroyed Chucks’ bicycle because Chucks’ flatus smelled too bad. I told him he’s childish, bad, wicked and foolish. He’s very sad. I felt sad too. But since that day he began to change because he didn’t want me to get angry. He wanted to please me. If the whole world thought he’s good and I thought otherwise he’d believe me.
In December, 2016, as we finished first term examination, I followed him home. Wow! I was wrong about Daniel. He’s not totally bad. There were boys and girls whose house weren’t worth a toilet in Daniel’s house. And they’re always telling us what they had in their houses. Big TVs, Washing machine, Big Generator, Big bathrooms, big kitchen even if it’s kitchenette and every other big thing. I told them big things too, at times. But I never lied like most of them. When I reached the house I marveled. The arch at the entrance was adorned with voluted flowers. And in the big compound I saw blocks of labyrinthian flowers forming paths to God knows where. I walked straight and entered into the house, My God! I saw lawns and trees like a mini golf pitch. I saw peacocks prancing and birds delighted to see me. The truth is I didn’t believe such a place could be in Abeokuta. There are beauties in the world. I took pictures in the compound, sat on the lawn, stayed near the birds, posed near water fountains, spread on the lawn and later ran into the paths. I almost got lost. People would see the pictures and ask, “You travelled to London? Is this America? Wow, where is this?” I just didn’t answer them.
I was afraid of waters but I still swam in the swimming pool because I trusted Daniel. He didn’t let snake bite me even when I was just a girl. He would face death now that I had fully blossom. “Daniel, is this your house or you have brought me into one big hotel?” I asked Daniel after I came out of the pool, Daniel smiled and said nothing. That smile of his … I decided I must know what utterances hid behind them. His mum had travelled out of the country that time. I learnt that Daniel had a personal driver and guard. I had seen them in school before but Daniel told me they’re his big-bros. He ran to meet them and hugged them. There’s a gymnasium and there are trainers in the house. Now that I had seen the palace I knew why even at a young age he could make Bolly cry just by throwing two punches. Men bigger than Bolly live in his mother’s house. Daniel once told me that a man must be strong enough to defend himself from any threats. But he wasn’t going to admit that it’s more than strength. He’s trained and skillful. I remembered that time, he’d punched Bolly on the sides just below the ribs. The burden of his blows must be rock breaking. As I thought of these things I just felt like there’s no one else I’d ever wanted than a man with whom I can feel loved and safe. He told me his mum employed guards and trainers for him. He didn’t know why but he’s sure it had something to do with the death of his father or his mum’s father.
“Daniel,” I’m very sorry,” said I after I found out that there were many workers in that house. I looked at him with my passionate eyes. He looked at me, askance. “For what?” he asked, “Oyin, for what?”
I found my tongue stiff and lips glued together. I just hugged him dearly and for long. “You’re not foolish. You didn’t even live like you’re different” I said. I realized there’s no way he could try, try a little to do anything by himself. Daniel told me that his mum wanted him to study abroad but she also wanted him to attend the school where she met her husband, Daniel’s father. Chief Daniel always wanted his children to attend the school he attended. He promised to create a paradise for his children so they would be satisfied with living in Nigeria. And he did. Daniel’s house was a father’s promise fulfilled. I only didn’t like that patriotic spirit he transferred to Daniel. Even our leaders who made oath to serve Nigeria romance the West and Asia like homeless peacocks and vultures. My brother always said it’s suicidal to die for Nigeria and even Angels at the gate of heaven would send Nigerian heroes to hell for a wasteful death. But if one lived in that house there’d be no need to wish for more except one has accidentally seen a greater beauty in Paris.
At sunset, Daniel and I sat beneath a tree in the compound. We faced the west and talked about the West. He loved the West so much that I found it strange that he never tried to travel out of the country. His mum wouldn’t stop him if he wanted to. She wouldn’t deny him anything, I was sure of that. I believed Nigeria would be better. I used to have hope. But Daniel didn’t. “If anyone died for this country,” he said, “the angel calling names will send the person to hell.” ‘Why did you say that,” I asked. “It’s a sin to commit suicide and that’s what it means to die for this country.” He called the country a jungle where democracy is just in principle rather than in practice. He called it a den of thieves. He called the country names. I felt uncomfortable because my mum raised me to be a patriot. I always argued with my brother about better days coming.
“I don’t understand you, Daniel. I was thinking you love the country very deep. I thought you needed some new views of life. And yes, you do need that,” I said.
“The point is, if the people aren’t cared for the animals won’t be cared for.” He said.
“Yes, but there are also poor people there,” I said. “Oyin, it’s not only about money, it’s also about the people, their laws and their respect for lives and properties.”
“Daniel, you don’t mean there are no crimes or criminals there? Do you? Is there a perfect country? Aren’t they not the ones who put Africa into much of her problems …”
“Shhhh! Oyin, are you sure you’re not getting too angry? For this country’s sake? The problem is our failure to tell ourselves that we’re part of the problem, that we caused a lot of our problems. Africa wasn’t innocent. They fought wars and had slaves before colonization. Wasn’t Oyo an Empire, or Benin, or Zulu … If Oyo was an Empire does that not mean that Oyo, like other empires ruled over other places as colonies? Every people in history are guilty of power and war. The discomfited only just always seem most miserable and cheated. But the cheated was also a cheater.”
I didn’t like to hear such words. I never reasoned like that. But he told me anyway. And he’s serious. I figured the only way to get his smiles buried was to discuss Nigeria.
“It’s not the West that caused us not to use our brains. If they told us to hibernate our brains in religious and ethnic sectionalism did we not see them use theirs in tolerance and progressive innovations?”
“We’re a mismatch union, it’s the fault of those that joined us as one without healable differences or gradable compatibility” I said, as my last point. Daniel whistled. “I expected a reply but you whistled? Eh? So, …” I was still talking when I heard sounds of footsteps, ordered steps. Then I turned and saw two men coming to us, taking same steps beautifully. I loved the rhythm. One carried a basket full of fruits and the other, a basket full of drinks. A lady walked behind them in same steps, maybe not intentional ordering. They’re bringing snacks and pieces of fish, meat and chickens. They dropped them and packed the ones we’d devoured.
“We’re a mismatch reunion, you’re right,” Daniel said. “But we’re not the only multicultural country, are we? We may have problems of differences but not a good excuse for not growing.” I had never seen him unsmiling like that.
The way Daniel played with his dogs surprised me. He kissed them. “Ayanma. I’ll never let you kiss me with that mouth you have used, have been using to kiss dogs,” I said. Daniel looked at me with a mischievous smile. I felt bad for saying those words. How could I be so careless? I’d said it anyway. Then he stood up and I did the same. He walked about two steps towards me, pulled me close to himself and looked at my face. I saw it in his eyes. My heart was wary but will. I wanted to feel his pink lips. It’d be the first time someone kissed me. And slowly, he might have seen my heart begging him to act like a knight and not a servant. “Stop,” said I, weakly. “Should I stop?” he asked. “Yes, stop stop!” I muttered. But my hands … held his head close. I opened my mouth, saying no. Then I brought out my tongue for French kiss. “You wanted me to stop?” he asked again. “Yes,” I muttered again. And he stopped. I was panting. My heart was beating fast I could hear the sound, khukhu, khukhu. And I was wet in between my thighs. Why I was angry that he stopped I never knew. “Fool!” I murmured. And he smiled like a hunter whose trap had just caught the game.
The following day Daniel took me to Lagos. We sat at the backseat and discussed. The driver smiled at times though he pretended not to be listening to us. Daniel told me he’s sorry. “For what?” I asked. “For doing that to you,” he said. I told them to take me to Oshodi. I didn’t want my mum to meet him without her readiness. He told me he’d love to meet my mum that very day but I wouldn’t let him. I knew he wanted to come to my place before we finish WAEC. I wish he had been able to but he wouldn’t until we had finished WAEC.

Re: Lovers And Mothers by Vyzz: 6:23pm On Jun 07, 2020
Re: Lovers And Mothers by Vyzz: 6:24pm On Jun 07, 2020
samuelkew:
LOVERS AND MOTHERS
1. BUDDING

Re: Lovers And Mothers by samuelkew(m): 6:44pm On Jun 10, 2020
Lovers and Mothers II
MUDDLE

After we finished WAEC in June, 2017, Daniel followed me home. My mum was ready for him. She’s ready for him as a son-in-law. And she asked questions about his place and parents.
When I met Daniel’s mum in March in 2016 I believed she’s the best human on earth. I had heard she had organized different programmes for Easter. ‘Make the Child Rejoice’ was talked about in our school but the teachers and students didn’t know it’s Daniel’s mum that was behind the scene of the charity programme. Every child that registered got money and gifts their parents would hardly exhaust in six months based on their level of living. ‘Wife of Glory’ was also popular in the town. Women were empowered but also advised not to be too proud to break their families. She donated for schools and churches and communities. People loved her very much.
The day I met her, it was in a debate. I represented our school that time. Daniel said he wanted all As in WAEC and believed that debate would distract him. He got all As the way he wanted it and since I got about seven As I couldn’t doubt the originality of Daniel’s As. Who would doubt mine? We’re brilliant and smart and we’re voracious readers too. And I, though a science student did my best and qualified to represent our school in debate. I also won the debate. Then the chief sponsor was called to say one or two things. “Now, let’s celebrate our own chief Mrs Daniel …” I was on stage so I could see her trying to say no. Daniel didn’t tell me that his mum was the sponsor. Perhaps, that’s why he didn’t want to participate.
The woman finally yielded to the chants and claps of the people. She’s not like Daniel, small but strong. Mrs Daniel’s very huge. She’s chocolate-coloured. And she smiled all the time, perhaps, because her teeth were all white and shining. Her lips curved well enough to form ‘w’ and they’re naturally pink. “What a kissable mouth” I said to myself. She must be a fan of ordered steps. The guard on the right side, on the left side and the one behind all took same steps as she did. It’s beautiful. I saw Daniel by the right-angled corner opposite the stage, to my right. He’s waving at me, proud of me. Smiling and jumping in a way too wild for his age. As the woman climbed the stage I felt the aura of a woman of the people. I knew it. And I was right that she’d contest for a political post one day. I didn’t know it’s already planned. Although I later heard people say that she decided to contest because the people wanted her I still wanted to argue with someone that her political agenda was why she’d been kind to the people. You know, while I discussed that with my mum on phone that night she shut me up. “If that’s it what’s bad in that?” my mum said. “Are there not many desperate politicians who only emerge few months to election with unbridled avaritia and power hunger?” She said.
As the woman swaggered up to the stage she waved and the people shouted. It’s howling. Then she spoke about me personally. “This Rubenesque dolly bird is from Lagos. But of course she stands here as an ambassador of Abeokuta Grammar School. It’s funny to know that she’s a science student. I recollect when I was a student in Arts because I wasn’t a lover of Mathematics my husband was very good at Maths and science subjects. He was once an overall winner of Iyaniwura Mathematics Competition in the state. Because of that, I want us to know that we must look beyond the skin to see the soul, we must look beyond the place to see the person, beyond the person to see the human and we must look beyond the hate to see the human.”
I want to see that woman again and tell her that I had been living by her words. I want to beg her to do the same.
That day, after the whole event she asked to see me. She’s very fresh. It seemed as if the breeze is gathered towards wherever she stood. She touched my cheek and said I was beautiful. “What’s your name?” She asked. “Oyin,” I replied. “Hmmm? Daniel said he gave you that name. So, tell me what name did your dad give your?”
“My name is Chioma …”
“You’re Igbo?” she asked.
“My …”
“It doesn’t matter. Does it?” she asked
“No ma,” I answered. I was glad she saved me from fear. “I see it your eyes, you’re the sclera and my son is the pupil. Your love is protecting him and his is lighting yours. Your lips are kissable and you have alluring curves. I’m sorry to be saying this but it’s what his father saw in me that he’s seen in you. Tell me, have you kissed each other before?” I was shocked. “Ma? I … no, no …” I said. “Don’t be afraid, my daughter. My son is free around me. Maybe too free or too bold to tell a lie. He said something like … he kissed his dogs and you said something about not letting him kiss you and he did and you told him to stop.” I felt very foolish. What kind of a mummy’s pet is that? So, if he had slept with me he’d have told his mum?” I thought. I’m sure I didn’t say that loud. “Are you wondering if he’d be telling his mum about his moments of lovemaking too? No, he probably won’t tell me that. He promised me he won’t do that until he’s married which is why I don’t want him to suffer temptation too long. By twenty four, I want him to have his wife. Daniel doesn’t know how to tell a lie and doesn’t like to be called a liar. He’d never forgive anyone for that. He said your lips are sweet like honey. He said he felt some plane lifting up from his body pointing to the sky. I’m sure you felt some wetness, right?” I was just blushing. I didn’t say a word. “It’s humane to feel that but I’m glad you told him to stop. You’d be like his teacher. I think he needs you. Apart from his mother, the only person who can direct his course is you. Has he told you he loves you?” she asked.
“No ma. He hasn’t,’ I said.
“Well, he’s a shy boy, He’s shy even around boys. And he’s not used to public life anyway. He’d spoken with actions and I’m sure you have noticed that too. Maybe you’re feeling like what a shy guy is this, if he won’t talk he shouldn’t scare away the ones that will talk but I’ll tell him to be bold enough only if you promise never to say no to him. If you say no, he’d never consider it. He’d say he doesn’t believe in disturbing a girl. He respects your opinion and won’t try to persuade you to change a no to a yes. He’s afraid you might say no since you once considered other guys even though he’s close to you then.”
I told Mrs Daniel that I loved Daniel. She’s very happy. She didn’t really care about my parents. She believed I was good for Daniel. Perhaps, she’s too proud to imagine that my parent could reject her or her son. But I loved Daniel. I still do.
Three months later, I took Daniel to our house. He came with the driver, one of his two big-bros. I had told my mum about Daniel. You know, both of us were eighteen at that time. I am sure nothing in our house surprised Daniel because I had described everything to my classmates. Maybe the kind of decorations he saw would be strange because I had forced my mum to deck the house with flowers. And it’s quite beautiful. We also just painted our house that time. Daniel loved the house. I took him around the compound. I showed him the fish pond and the poultry. He’s very happy. Our pond was like one percent of his and our poultry too was like one percent of the one in their house and we didn’t have birds around the compound. But he’s happy we did farming. His mum and dad were farmers. And they made money from farming from which they invested in other businesses. We didn’t have swimming pool but we had a football showing center. My brother set that up and employed a manager of his.
I forgot to tell him about the manager. His name was Chigoze. He’s one ebony comic braggart and he’s huge too. He had to be huge and fierce so that guys would not just watch football without paying. I had warned him not to flirt with me again. But he never listened. He liked to flirt with me. You know many Igbo men believed a girl child is everyman’s pet, they like to touch girls as they like, in public and in private. It’s annoying they’d touch a girl’s buttocks and tell her, “are you married? No be man you go marry? You no happy say I touch una, you no happy say I touch ya bombom?” That’s how many of them behave. They did that to some of my friend in Yaba market. I felt like taking Daniel to them. I’ll never walk to that place alone. I’ll take Daniel with me one day. We’d cause a great conflict. Police will arrest us. The matter will be big enough for people to hear about those foolish braggarts.
Chigoze spanked me. As Daniel came out of the poultry he saw Chigoze. He came around and asked him why he spanked a girl, like that. “Mr Man, na you I spank?” Chigoze asked. I knew trouble would happen. My mum mayn’t like it but I wanted it to happen anyway. “Wetin be your … o .wu..n” Daniel’s slap didn’t make him say the word well. “You spank her and you’re saying wetin be my own?” Daniel asked and slapped him again. “Yeh, Yeh, una wan fight, eh?” Chigoze said as he bounced and moved right and left like a boxer in a ring. My Daniel just stood firm and watched Chigoze’s drama. Daniel smiled. “Chigoze, stop oh,” I said. “Who im be? Im be Buhari?” Chigoze said. He wouldn’t listen. As he moved to throw a punch, he stopped. He was surprised Daniel didn’t tremble. His hands remained in his pocket. Chigoze believed that Yoruba people are cowards. I think their refusal to secede that time promoted that thought. Maybe Chigoze was right. But my mum told me that the Yoruba believed it is not ‘omoluwabi’ to be fighting up and down. They called it ajangbila. They have proverbs against fighting, many of them. “Okun kii wo ruru ka wa ruru” my mum would say. That means, if the sea roars with rage we should not navigate with rage. She’d say maja masa niyi Akin. That means the honour of the brave is to know when to advance and when to retreat. Even the strong Daniel doesn’t like to fight. I remember we discussed war. He told me that the brave are the poor ones deceived with the ideology of patriotism. “See example in Adichie’s Half of a Yellow Sun” he said. “Olanna’s parent wanted to escape to Cameroon and then to London. That’s what the rich do. They supply the weapons and stay in secure places. They sponsor the militia and stay in secure places. And you see the erukus, the deathslaves calling themselves warriors, marching to die. They’re needed anyway, so that their people can be safe. In war, these times, bravery is the trickery appellation the rich created for the poor to die in their place. Before, kings would ride horses and lead battles. Then, bravery was for all. Now, bravery is for the poor, smartness is for the rich.”
Daniel didn’t beat Chigoze that day. I wasn’t happy. I thought it’s because he’s afraid of what my mum would think of her. But he’s afraid of two things. He asked me if it’s possible for Dangote to get angry to the extent of throwing punches at someone to defend himself. “The rich don’t fight the poor, they crush them,” he said. And he’s afraid of what my brother might do. I told him my brother is sleeping with Chigoze’s sister. He believed brain and body are more fearsome. He said the ones who think and plan well before fighting are more dangerous than the one whose life is in his physical strength and impetuousness. And my brother was one of those kind. I told him many things about my brother. He’s a braggart like Chigoze but he doesn’t touch girls’ body anyhow, without a girl’s consent. Yoruba men hardly do that even though there are patriarchal Yoruba men too. It is not one of the traits of omoluwabi.
When my brother and mum came out and saw Chigoze punching Daniel in the face they’re angry with Chigoze. Daniel’s hands remained in his pocket. There’s blood on his face. His lips were cut. He rolled them in and licked the blood. But I could see intense rage in the way his head shakes. “Sorry, Daniel,” my brother, Biodun said. “Chigoze, what happened?” my mum asked. “I … I …” he stuttered.
“It’s alright ma. I am a guest. A guest shouldn’t fight his host,” he said. “And good host doesn’t fight his guest,” Biodun said. “Will you apologise now,” Biodun said. And Chigoze apologised to Daniel. He wasn’t sorry for what he did. He just felt bad that Daniel didn’t tremble. He’d have been sacked that day. But Daniel saved him. “The best thing to do is to make him learn how to be nice. He’s just a loose or lost ram from the village, I guess.”
“What is your name?” my mum asked. “Daniel Jejelaye,” he answered. “Wow, that’s a nice name,” my mum said. “Obviously, you’re Yoruba. But you’re from where?” she asked him. “I’m from Abeokuta ma.”
That’s good. I like the people of Abeokuta. They are good people. Maybe because I didn’t meet the bad ones, you know, there will always be good people and bad people everywhere, anytime. I had a friend then. We loved each other. We never slept without each other. You know people suspected us that we’re lezes. The way we did things in common … it’s funny that one time like that we both failed IntroTech together. I don’t mean red ink failure but like fifty something out of hundred. You know we were always getting As and Bs, Both of us would be first, someone would be third. Or both of us would be first and second and another would be third. We’re just very close friends in stuffs and senses. And she’s a very wonderful friend, like a sister. We’re like twins.”
I was surprised because my mum had never said something like that before. She hardly speak about her childhood days. Most of the stories she had told me and my brother usually began from the time she met one man who later jilted her. I hoped she might know Daniel’s mum. “Mrs Daniel also said she had a friend like that when she was in school. And that friend was from Lagos.” “Is that so?” my mum asked. Then she asked questions about Mrs Daniel Jejelaye. Mrs Daniel used to bear Ruth Bewaji. She attended Abeokuta Grammar School like me and Daniel and like my mum. The moment my mum heard the name, Ruth Bewaji, something changed in her. First, her smile, her sincere smile disappeared. I knew it when my mum’s smile wasn’t original. She didn’t ask other questions. She just said she’s happy to meet Daniel. And told me to entertain him and make him feel good. She left us in the sitting room and went upstairs into her room. Daniel wasn’t a fool either. He knew something was strange. “Your mum probably knew my mum. Maybe we’ll bring them together,” he said. “And maybe they’re wishes of being in-laws will be true in us,” I added. But Daniel didn’t wait any longer. He called his big-bro on phone and before five minutes the big-bro came with a car and Daniel left. We didn’t say much to each other after my mum left us there. He and my brother spoke about football though. He’s a Chelsea fan. My brother’s a Barcelona fan. They argued a little but Daniel often yielded intentionally, I knew it’s intentionally; he let my brother win the arguments.
I really began to think like I was going to marry Daniel the following day. I didn’t want him to go that night. If he must go, I wanted to follow him. I remember how Rebecca followed Abraham’s Eleazar. I wished he brought golds and gifts and just asked for my hand in marriage and then take me away. I usually feel empty without him by my side. His jokes, his wit, his wisdom, his confidence, I miss them all. HE made me see my self-worth. Now, I know I’m not worthless, I’m intelligent and I’m a kind person. HE showed me how to be strong and how to … to be … smart. As a lady, I had believed that my intelligence was useless because a first lady was described as good only for the kitchen and the other room in my country. But Daniel was the one who made me learn to think towards what is good for me, towards the direction of my essence and not towards the direction people wanted me to go. If the people say a woman cannot be a Bonke I’d not agree. I’d agree because Bonke was Bonke and no man or woman could ever be him. But now, I’d disagree because I’d think in the way of self esteem and tell them about Kathryn Kuhlman and Maria Woodworth-Etter. If now, the braggarts want me to feel useless because in our lands women have never been king, I’d teach them about Queen Amina, about Queen Moremi, about Madam Tinubu, About Mrs Kuti, and even about the dangerous Efunsetan Aniwura. It’s all ideology … Daniel taught me that. The root of our behaviour is ideology. That’s what I changed and that’s why I change. I miss Daniel.
He didn’t stay for more than ten minutes after my mum left us in the sitting room. He called his driver on phone and the big-bro came within five minutes. He gave my brother some money. That guy collected it, not even reluctantly. And I was worried because it’s the first time I noticed Daniel’s smile was not real. His silence was not because he’s staring at me but because he’s lost in thoughts. But I knew one thing for sure –he’d talk to his mother about my mum.
Re: Lovers And Mothers by samuelkew(m): 6:52am On Jun 14, 2020
LOVERS AND MOTHERS III
NIGGLE
I didn’t ask my mum any question that night because I was sure Daniel would ask his mum and I expected him to talk to me. But it’s not just that simple. Daniel didn’t call me on the phone that night and he wasn’t answering when I called him. I was too worried to eat. My mum called me into her room and I thought she wanted to explain things to me. “I heard you didn’t eat,” my mum said. “I don’t have appetite,” I said. “You? Chioma? Don’t have appetite?” she asked and laughed. It’s really ridiculous. I knew it. “The last time you were sick and hospitalized, you’re eating as if you were a raven, drinking like a camel. Now, you have no appetite. Chioma? Chioma? Chioma?” My mum called and I answered each time she called my name. “How many times did I call you?”
“Three times”
“Eti e melo?”
“Two ears ma.”
“Ki lo fin gbo?”
“oro”
“If you’re sure you have two ears and you know you hear words with them then let me tell you a secret. Men are like goats. They want to eat anything and waste it. You have to keep it from them. The one who seem good is like a cat. He’s trying to deceive you so you can trust him to protect your fleshy meat. Chai, he’d chop you until he don belleful or until you’re finished. He’ll simply devour your meat and go his way. Learn from an adult. If I give you cola with my teeth, you may not eat. If I cut bitter kola for you with my rotten teeth you may reject but if I speak words, words, Chioma, it is better for you to listen and follow my words.”
My mum does not know how to beat a child. She rarely beat me and my brother. But she can nag for Africa. I knew she’s not planning to stop talking. So, I smiled and told her that I was hungry. “Good, my foody foody girl. Go, eat well,” she said. I walked downstairs shedding tears. I became confused. My mum had no husband. I had no father. Daniel’s mum had no husband and Daniel had no father. Perhaps, men truly are peckers and beetles. Whatever happened between my mum and Daniel’s mum didn’t end well. I was sure of that. My mum didn’t even talk about him. She suspended him into oblivion. I went to the kitchen and prepared Amala for myself.
I waited for Daniel’s call. First day, second day, nothing. First week, second week, nothing still. He didn’t call. No text message either. And he’s not answering my calls or replying my messages. Maybe my mum was right.
My brother seemed happy because Chigoze had told him that he liked me. Because he had given his sister to my brother, he expected my brother to give me to him as if I was a toy. It’s not his fault. His brother used to sell clothes at Yaba market. That Yaba, chai, they’re always touching girls’ body anyhow. Foolish demons! Women had even protested against the rubbish those boys normally do to ladies. I was surprised to find something like that on the internet. Now that I thought about it, whatever card the tricksters played, I was ready for them with ferocity. After one month of silence between Daniel and me, Chigoze attempted to rape me. My brother was at home. I shouted. But he didn’t come to my rescue. He said he’s fast asleep. Daniel had rightly called him a planner. He had pretended to be sick and he was on drugs. So it’s easy normal for him to sleep like he was rehearsing death.
Chigoze called me to help him rearrange the seats in the Game Center, beside the house. I innocently entered. It’s my eyes that were first violated. I saw him. His eyes were wide and red like a bereaved lion. But his tail wasn’t behind him at his buttocks. I saw in between his thighs, his tail, tumid and wagging. I was stunned in confusion. Chigoze was proudly walking closer to me. I turned to run but he’d reached me and he pulled me back to himself. I screamed. “Shhhh! Stop it. Come on. You no be pikin na. Why una dey do like …” he’s touching my body as he spoke those words. And I was slapping him. He tugged me like a box to one of the seats. “I for like do small small like say I be gentleman but una no wan cooperate,” he said. Then he ripped my trousers around my buttocks and spanked me painfully. “Beast, Demon, God punish you,” I cursed him. He didn’t stop. Then he tried to enter into me. I struggle to get an extension cord and smashed it on his head. Chigoze didn’t move. I mistakenly kicked him at the groin. He shook with pain. I kicked him again, this time, with the intention of breaking his balls. “Yeh! Winch!” he cried and rolled on the ground like he was going to die, I wished he died. I freed myself and ran into the house, weeping with shame. My mum wouldn’t believe me. So, I didn’t tell her anything. After all, she had heard me complain of being spanked and she didn’t do more than query.

Two months later, I began to attend tutorial for JAMB. I then planned to travel to Abeokuta. My mum mustn’t know about it. It had to be a Saturday when the tutorial starts from 9 o’clock in the morning till 5 o’clock in the evening. And on Saturday, there would be many students. My absence wouldn’t be noticed by the tutor. The first Saturday I planned to travel, Uncle Jinn called my mum and told her that there’d be no tutorial that day. Thank God my mum called me on phone. “Chioma, where are you?” she asked me. “I’m at Uncle Jinn’s place ma.”
“Are you sure?”
“Yes ma.”
“Is Jinn there?”
“I’ve not seen him ma.”
“Okay. He just called me on phone and told me there’s no lesson today.”
I was really shocked. There’s no way my mum wouldn’t find out. Oshodi to Gbagada would take longer time than I needed to reach home from the tutorial centre. “Are you with your ATM?” my mum asked me.
“Yes ma.”
“Okay, I want to send you to Oshodi, I’ll transfer money into your account now.”
And she did. I bought her stuffs and I returned home. The following Saturday, I left Lagos. If there’s no lesson I would still go. I’d say something like … anything, maybe I’d have told my mum I went to JAMB office or UNILAG or something. I just had to get to Abeokuta. We left Lagos by ten in the morning and I reached Abeokuta by half past twelve. Traffic was fair at that time.
The city’s changing fast. Within months several houses by the roadside had been demolished. I hoped Mrs Daniel’s house wasn’t demolished. As we drove past MKO Abiola Stadium to Kuto I was afraid of being turned orange by the dust which filled everywhere. People looked like they rubbed pink soil on their faces. Cars were filled with dust. I alighted from the car at Kuto Junction and took okada to Ibara Housing Estate. That’s where Mrs Daniel’s popular mansion was. She had houses in different places.
As we got near the house I saw great crowd going in and coming out of the street. “What’s happening there?” I asked the okada rider. “You’re a stranger year? You’re just coming to town?” he asked me. “Yes, I’m a stranger here. I came from Lagos, I’m a stranger now.”
“No wonder.”
“Mrs Daniel just won the primary election of the People’s Fortune Party, PFP. You know what’s funny, the opponents didn’t get one vote. She carry all of the votes. Wu say make dem no give the woman the ticket unopposed? They just want to shame theirself. You know the woman abi?”
“Yes, I do,” I said.
“Obinrin rere. She’s good woman. Okansoso lokin, peacock is one in community of birds,” he said.
“Mrs Daniel has open hands.”
“Baje! Very very!”
“She gave to the poor,”
“Exactley, very very.”
“She gave to school children”
“Yes, and to small small children.”
“And to Debaters and …”
“Yes, and to market women.”
“She’s a good woman.”
“Baje! Very Very! Good self is small. She’s big good woman.”
“So, you like her?”
“Who will not like a woman like that Beautiful face, beautiful smile, beautiful pocket, beautiful helper. She’s like her husband who died some years ago. It’s the man that’s supposed to be governor sometime like that. They beg am to stand down. People no gree. People say that’s why they kill him that time. See, if I can vote with ten fingers on my hand and ten fingers on my legs I will vote them all for her. Who dem be? Who know them?”
“So, she didn’t just start politics. She’s been a politician; her husband was. Daniel’s dad was. That’s strange. Daniel should have studied abroad. Maybe it’s because his dad was yet to get into big post like that. Their children don’t stay in Nigeria.”
“You don’t know that man. He is a man of the people. He will eat with the boys, and play with the women in the market.”
My hope was refreshed. She’s a good woman. And she already told me I’d be good for her son. I thought it’s the political busyness that consumed all of Daniel that he had not time for me. No time to type message. But I was wrong. He had time too much.
I was lost in the crowd that day. I didn’t see Daniel. I didn’t see meet his mum. I saw the big-bros but they had no time for me. Uncle B, the one that drove him to Lagos saw me too. He just shook his head somehow, right-left like an Indian saying yes. I tried to walk up to him but I lost him. He had to follow some people. I didn’t see any sense in that partying really. Why should someone throw a big party because of victory at primary election of major election? Well, since she’s rich, no one would bother. How would they bother, those who would vote for one thousand naira on the day of election, how would day even think about the waste in this partying? Maybe I was thinking like the poor.
I left Abeokuta by 3 p.m. It was a wrong calculation. The traffic was hell. The bus was like a snail. When we reached Redeem, it’s a deadlock. We were on the same spot for about an hour, in intense heat. There were people making noise. “Wetin dey cause hold up for this area sef?”
“You go reach front now you no go see anything holding traffic.”
“It’s the people coming out and going into the camp that are causing the delay”
“Stop thinking like this. It’s not the church. It’s the road. Let them repair the road finish and see change.”
“Which kind change? Since I don dey travel this road, they never finish this road. You know how many companies don work for this road?”
“This heat is too mooshi o”
“Pure water!”
When a passenger called any of those hawkers, about three or four would come to sell. The passenger would collect the drink and collect the change before paying. If he paid before collecting change, and the bus move, the hawker would just go away. But the passenger was yet to pay the seller would run after the bus to collect the money. I hadn’t been in such traffic before. I pitied those young boys and girls but they had to survive. Life isn’t just fair in many things. Some people are just unfortunate like rats and cockroaches. I looked at those hawkers and remembered the play, Fate of a Cockroach. I wish I could write Fate of a Rat. The life of a rat is always in fear. Every step is suicidal, the people may kill it for eating, the stuff to eat might be poisoned. They’re poor creatures and they’re hated –too unfortunate.
Before we could reach Berger it was about 6 p.m. and my mum started calling my phone. She’d called Uncle Jinn. I didn’t know what Uncle Jinn had told her. I began to think of what lie I’d tell my mum. If she found out I did’t attend lesson it must be a big lie. If Uncle Jinn didn’t notice me then I’d need a small lie about why I had to reach home late. My mum would just give me upbraiding and tell me that I would be punished. She’d say I was beginning to get deceived because I thought I had become an adult. Maybe I was deceived already because I believe Daniel was good and her mother too was good. I wouldn’t let my mum’s experience with men ruin my own love. I was an adult. And no matter how common fake love is, I knew there’s true love out there and I found one.

(1) (Reply)

How A 3 Month Old Baby Was Raped By A Man / P / Please I Need Financial Help To Feed My Family!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 234
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.