Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,234 members, 7,818,783 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:07 AM

My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name (4629 Views)

My Wife DOES NOT WORK !!! Conversation Between A Husband And A Psychologist / My Husband Does Not Want Me To Work / Help Me, I Want To Bear My Own Children! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by aloyemeka1: 1:28am On Jan 23, 2011
My name is Wale. I’ve been married for the past seven years and my marriage is blessed with two children. But the problem is that my wife has bluntly refused to bear my name. Rather, she fights me whenever I ask her to do the right thing. This has made me lose confidence in our marital relationship to the detriment of the children. Whenever I ask her to state her reason for not wanting to bear my name, she would say there is nothing in a name! Please, what is there in a name (her words)? We got married in church. Your advice will be greatly valued. From Wale

http://lindaikeji..com/2011/01/my-wife-does-not-want-to-bear-my-name.html
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by DANBUZU1(m): 2:18am On Jan 23, 2011
If you're moslems, the Koran says:
"Call them after their fathers. That is most just in the sight of Allah. If you know not their fathers, then call them your brothers in faith and your patrons. There is no blame on you if you make a mistake but you are accountable for what is done intentionally. Allah is Most Forgiving, Most Merciful." [Qur'an 33:5]
And if you're not then kick her ass!
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by pslm23(f): 3:50am On Jan 23, 2011
I kept my father's name after marriage but hyphenated it to add my husband. If i ever get divorced, it will make it easier to drop the last name and continue with my dad's name grin
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by ifyalways(f): 11:10am On Jan 23, 2011
Nothing in a a name so why is she hell_bent on keeping her fathers name?Maybe the husband shld think abt hypernating both names,jeez so much wahala in marriage these days.
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by aloyemeka1: 11:23pm On Jan 23, 2011
pslm23:

I kept my father's name after marriage but hyphenated it to add my husband. If i ever get divorced, it will make it easier to drop the last name and continue with my dad's name  grin

Almost like saying that you EXPECT to get divorced in future.
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by pslm23(f): 4:26am On Jan 24, 2011
aloy/emeka:

@ Aloy Emeka, I'm a realist. In life we don't know what tomorrow will bring and I apply the same principle to everything I do. I'm not saying I want to get divorced or I wish for for it but I am not living and refuse to live in a fairy tale world where I expect the rest of my life to be a happily ever after. Despite problems I've faced in my marriage, I can still proudly say that I've got 8+ years under my belt.
So don't go trying to read a whole lot of meaning into my statements and please GET OFF MY BACK! It's like you enjoy trying to poke holes or find fault with things I say. Jeez!!! angry

1 Like

Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by Nobody: 5:27am On Jan 24, 2011
One's name is like their identity. I don't know how old your wife is. I'll use a figure like 33. I can understand where she is coming from as one's name is their identity. For some, it's easy and exciting to change their surname. For some it's difficult and they may not want to do so. I'm so used to my own surname that I wonder if I'll be able to change it easily when and if I, too, should marry. I say you should leave her alone with the matter. If she'll come around, she'll do so when she's ready. Although I must say after seven years, is there still much reason for you to fight it? How is this making you lose confidence your marriage? If this is the only problem in your relationship, then I think you're being hard on her.
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by WackyJ1(m): 5:34am On Jan 24, 2011
Why is the issue coming up now, After 2 children?
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by plappville(f): 11:21am On Jan 24, 2011
pslm23:

@ Aloy Emeka, I'm a realist. In life we don't know what tomorrow will bring and I apply the same principle to everything I do. I'm not saying I want to get divorced or I wish for for it but I am not living and refuse to live in a fairy tale world where I expect the rest of my life to be a happily ever after. Despite problems I've faced in my marriage, I can still proudly say that I've got 8+ years under my belt.
So don't go trying to read a whole lot of meaning into my statements and please GET OFF MY BACK! It's like you enjoy trying to poke holes or find fault with things I say. Jeez!!!  angry

I quit agrée with u, i also kept My dad's name with marital name. Hubby finds nothing wrong in it.
Just like your first post stated. It is best and mâke things easier in case of divorce.

OP, there is nô need to over read meaning, people who are divorcéd today never hoped gor it, it CAN happen just l'île sudden death. As for ue Wife try and tale things easy, dont créât problem where is suposed to be peace.
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by aloyemeka1: 12:16pm On Jan 24, 2011
pslm23:

So don't go trying to read a whole lot of meaning into my statements and please GET OFF MY BACK! It's like you enjoy trying to poke holes or find fault with things I say. Jeez!!!  angry
Only 8 years?. Are you enjoying the marriage or enduring it?. Jesus can help you to stop existing and start living.
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jan 24, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Only 8 years?. Are you enjoying the marriage or enduring it?. Jesus can help you to stop existing and start living.

ROTFLMAO grin grin grin
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by plappville(f): 1:07pm On Jan 24, 2011
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

aloy/emeka:

Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by pslm23(f): 5:03pm On Jan 24, 2011
@ Aloy Emeka, u r just a nit wit!  angryWhy the heck will anybody be in a marriage just for endurance sake in this century? If you have nothing better to say, why don't u just do me a big favor and turn ur puter off or better still STFU!  angry
YES, i said 8+years and I'm proud of it.  grin In this day and age where seperation and divorce is rampant, yes I am very proud that despite the huge cultural differences between my husband and I and many other problems, we've had 8 years of happy marriage. Can u say the same about ur relationship? Maybe u have a gazellion years of marriage under ur belt and you are enduring it. You should be the one asking Jesus or whatever deity u worship to turn ur miserable life around so u can start living! Enuff already!  angry angry

You enjoy jumping into other people's posts and taking the topic elsewhere with ur cynical comments. Grow the "f" up! I will not waste any more of my brain cells on u or this issue!
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by ifyalways(f): 6:28pm On Jan 24, 2011
ogugua88:

One's name is like their identity. I don't know how old your wife is. I'll use a figure like 33. I can understand where she is coming from as one's name is their identity. For some, it's easy and exciting to change their surname. For some it's difficult and they may not want to do so. I'm so used to my own surname that I wonder if I'll be able to change it easily when and if I, too, should marry. I say you should leave her alone with the matter. If she'll come around, she'll do so when she's ready. Although I must say after seven years, is there still much reason for you to fight it? How is this making you lose confidence your marriage? If this is the only problem in your relationship, then I think you're being hard on her.
@Bolded,so u are saying that as a married woman,she is ashamed of being identified with the hubby's name or 
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by deniyor: 8:34pm On Jan 24, 2011
I will fight about it and show my displeasure. If all other areas are ok in our relationship, then it is not a deal breaker.
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by aloyemeka1: 10:08pm On Jan 24, 2011
pslm23:

@ Aloy Emeka, u r just a nit wit!  angryWhy the heck will anybody be in a marriage just for endurance sake in this century? If you have nothing better to say, why don't u just do me a big favor and turn your puter off or better still STFU!  angry
YES, i said 8+years and I'm proud of it.  grin In this day and age where seperation and divorce is rampant, yes I am very proud that despite the huge cultural differences between my husband and I and many other problems, we've had 8 years of happy marriage. Can u say the same about your relationship? Maybe u have a gazellion years of marriage under your belt and you are enduring it. You should be the one asking Jesus or whatever deity u worship to turn your miserable life around so u can start living! Enuff already!  angry angry

You enjoy jumping into other people's posts and taking the topic elsewhere with your cynical comments. Grow the "f" up! I will not waste any more of my brain cells on u or this issue!

I struck a nerve, huh?. Make love o and not divorce. I wish you more (8 x 80) years of happy marriage . wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by pslm23(f): 2:45am On Jan 25, 2011
@ poster, before you two got married, did u guys not talk about this? When she signed the marriage certificate what did she sign it as?

I don't know how it's done back home but over here, we first apply for a marriage license and on that license, the wife writes what her new married name will be.

you and ur wife shld have talked it over first. But really, there is nothing to it. Everybody still knows she's ur wife even though i concede that it must be awkward!
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by rasputinn(m): 10:00am On Jan 25, 2011
pslm23:

I kept my father's name after marriage but hyphenated it to add my husband. If i ever get divorced, it will make it easier to drop the last name and continue with my dad's name grin

What has the world come to?so peeps go into marriages these days with the thougth of divorce uppermost on their minds
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by rasputinn(m): 10:04am On Jan 25, 2011
@ OP

What does she want?for you to answer her maiden name?Again it depends on a lot of things,did you for instance discuss this issue before you got "married"?
Personally I feel it's girls that dont have enough regard for their husband's to be and who feel their father's name is more prestigious than their husband's surname that feel that way.
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by sylve11: 4:02pm On Jan 25, 2011
aloy/emeka:

fact! grin

@Op,

i hate stubborn women, if you can't bear my name then end of marriage!. i hate stress from women. . . .xpecially this kind sad cool
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jan 25, 2011
@poster
Na u pay her bride prize ,Abi na her dad pay am 4 you,

cheesy  cheesy cheesy  cheesy cheesy  cheesy cheesy  cheesy cheesy  cheesy cheesy  cheesy cheesy  cheesy
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by no1madman(m): 11:32pm On Jan 25, 2011
Is she African?
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by aloyemeka1: 1:01am On Jan 27, 2011
no1madman:

Is she African?
No, she is Nigerian.
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by Nobody: 3:16am On Jan 27, 2011
ogugua88:

ifyalways:

@Bolded,so u are saying that as a married woman,she is ashamed of being identified with the hubby's name or 

If I use the kain word wey I want use,  I don't see any mention or implication of shame in my post. So many NLers are so combative. Una dey add words to everything I post, so eager to argue.
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by ifyalways(f): 8:55am On Jan 27, 2011
ogugua88:

If I use the kain word wey I want use,  I don't see any mention or implication of shame in my post. So many NLers are so combative. Una dey add words to everything I post, so eager to argue.
Una as in who and who?
I only asked u to shed more light on ur post,my reply to you was a question not a statement . . .You could also have chosen not to respond rather than flater urself.Good day.
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by semid4lyfe(m): 11:35am On Jan 27, 2011
I've got the finest and sweetest sounding surname in the world. . .any lady would be proud to drop hers and adopt mine grin wink
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by Nobody: 11:41am On Jan 27, 2011
Madame I'm not flattering myself. If you want me to shed more light on my post, then ask, rather than implying I said one thing.

"The problem is that I, like so many women who marry in their thirties, already have an identity of my own—not to mention, as a writer, a last name intrinsically linked to my livelihood. And in that respect, I tend to track with the trends. “Women are marrying later, and they have a life before they’re married,” says Goldin. “Women who marry early are more likely to be changers.”

-An excerpt from this article:

http://www.elle.com/Life-Love/Sex-Relationships/A-Change-of-Name

OP, ask her if she is willing to hyphenate her name. If she's not, then it's best you just move on and conquer more serious issues together. You should not feel more connected to your wife because of a name you wish to share. You mentioned you have children. Your connectivity and overflowing love for her should come from the fact that she's the beautiful mother of your children, not that she bears your name. Why and how this name issue can make you feel differently about her is very much beyond me. I hope you haven't forgotten the woman you marry and why you married her in the first place.
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by ifyalways(f): 11:52am On Jan 27, 2011
The implying part must be in your head or eyes cos i know i asked a question.when and how did the question twist to "una,everything u post,ready to argue,combative", have our paths crossed before 
Anywayz,no need for drama.Thank you for explaining.
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by rasputinn(m): 12:31pm On Jan 27, 2011
semid4lyfe:

I've got the finest and sweetest sounding surname in the world. . .any lady would be proud to drop hers and adopt mine grin wink

And what would that be; 4life or life undecided

*chuckles*
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by spikedcylinder: 12:45pm On Jan 27, 2011
Nawa o. It's almost like slavery. Now, husbands get to decide what kind of names a wife can bear and how to go about bearing it?
Tufia to these cave men! Tufia, I say!
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by aloyemeka1: 3:50pm On Jan 27, 2011
spikedcylinder:

Nawa o. It's almost like slavery. Now, husbands get to decide what kind of names a wife can bear and how to go about bearing it?
Tufia to these cave men! Tufia, I say!

Tradition and culture demands she adopts his name after marriage besides, it helps the family unit maintain one last name. Not husband is Adelaja, wife is Ademola and their children have Akinade and Ogunlesi as their last names.
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by WackyJ1(m): 7:05pm On Jan 27, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Tradition and culture demands she adopts his name after marriage besides, it helps the family unit maintain one last name. Not husband is Adelaja, wife is Ademola and their children have Akinade and Ogunlesi as their last names.
Why did you bother to reply. See how she turned marriage to slavery and men to cavemen because of a simple change of name. She might be a feminist

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

dalu / What Is My Nationality? / Why Do My Husband Lie So Much?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.