Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:16 AM

Raheem Sterling Speaks On Racism Over George Floyd's Death - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Raheem Sterling Speaks On Racism Over George Floyd's Death (20794 Views)

Liverpool Squad Knelt In Honour Of George Floyd / Raheem Sterling Apologises After Bizarre UCL Penalty (Photos) / Raheem Sterling’s Car Collection (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Re: Raheem Sterling Speaks On Racism Over George Floyd's Death by Ovie56(m): 4:08am On Jun 09, 2020
themonk:

He never spoke of the incident till days later and he was focused on attacking the protests. The call he made to Floyd’s family was just so he could quickly go and paste it on twitter, he never showed compassion according to the family.
so where was the tweet that Trump posted about calling his family, the stuppidity you inherited is so big that your generations to come will see the impact in their lives

you think every country is lawless like Nigeria that buhari will send army to come and kill your ipob members

whats with the stupid talk of he never sounded concerned? made it about himself? no wonder Nigeria is not progressing it is filled with lunatics and scallywags like you who wants government to be pandering to them.
and with stupid quote saying Nigeria is begging for ventilator? ''desperate for some ventilators" which we actually are but you dont have a brain, i've been replying an extremely unfortunate teenage
shiit
and the obama reform did not have a name right?

for the last time i added a screenshot that explain police powers in us but i doubt you a brain to comprehend it sha.

Re: Raheem Sterling Speaks On Racism Over George Floyd's Death by causimalbarka(m): 12:04pm On Jun 09, 2020
ogbiwa:
England and Manchester City forward Raheem Sterling has backed protests taking place across the UK, saying "the only disease right now is the racism that we are fighting".

Thousands of people have taken part in Black Lives Matter marches in the UK, despite government warnings to avoid mass gatherings because of the threat of coronavirus.

"This is the most important thing at this moment in time because this is something that is happening for years and years," Sterling, 25, said.

Large protests have been held in London, Bristol, Manchester, Wolverhampton, Nottingham, Glasgow and Edinburgh following the death of American George Floyd.

Floyd, 46, died while being arrested on 25 May in Minneapolis. The four officers involved have since been charged over the death, which sparked days of protest in the US and demonstrations across the world.

Speaking to the BBC's Newsnight programme, Sterling said: "Just like the pandemic, we want to find a solution to stop it.

"At the same time, this is what all these protesters are doing. They are trying to find a solution and a way to stop the injustice they are seeing and they are fighting for their cause.

"As long as they are doing it peacefully and safely and not hurting anybody and not breaking into any stores, they continue to protest in this peaceful way."

Many sports people have spoken out in protest over Floyd's death, with Sterling's England team-mate Jadon Sancho making on-pitch statements in Germany's Bundesliga.

Sterling, whose City side return to Premier League action on 17 June, has previously spoken of racist abuse he has suffered and the media's portrayal of black players.

Asked whether speaking out makes his job as a footballer harder, he said: "First and foremost, I don't really think about my job when things like this happen. I think about what is right.

"And at this moment in time, there's only so much people can take. There's only so much communities and other backgrounds can take - especially black people.

"It's been going on for hundreds of years and people are tired and people are ready for change.

"I keep saying this word. I see a lot of people on social [media], supporting the cause. But this is something that needs more than just talking.

"We need to actually implement change and highlight the places that do need changes.

"But this is something that I myself will continue to do, and spark these debates and get people in my industry looking at themselves and thinking what they can do to give people an equal chance in this country.

"Hopefully other industries can do that, and everyday society and the system as well."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52959292

See crowd oooo, someone will now tell me covid-19 is real
Re: Raheem Sterling Speaks On Racism Over George Floyd's Death by 3310adeb: 10:39am On Jun 18, 2020
Untill we Africans conquered TRIBALISM, we can not conquered rasicm

Sincerely Love ur brother first,,,,
See Tribalistic comment everywhere which is more dreadful than racial coment,,,,,,
Yoruba hate igbo ,hate hausa calarbar hate akbom,hausa,hate tiv,tiv hate idoma,hausa,hategwari
Igbo hate Yoruba

Untill we sincerely started seeing our self like brother we will all perish together as fools

Abi,if u no love ur brother who one come like am ??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final / Google Doodle Celebrates FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Kick Off / Who Will Win The Champions League Final Between Real Madrid And Liverpool FC?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.