Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final (20794 Views)

Guinea Disqualified From FIFA U-17 World Cup Over Age Cheating / Moses Ruled Out Of 2018 World Cup Over Injury / Algeria Vs Nigeria: FIFA 2018 World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 1 (Full Time) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by cheapgoals(m): 5:33am On Jul 11, 2018
Joyous French football fans have gone wild in the city of Paris as the team established their place in the World Cup Final, as breathtaking scenes erupted on the capital's streets.

The French national anthem La Marseillaise, serenades of "We're in the final" and an uproar of automobile horns and sparklers rang out over Paris on Tuesday night as residents of the capital celebrated France's walk to Russia 2018 World Cup final.

A stunning crowd of over 20,000 gathered to watch Le Blue's beat Belgium 1-0 in their semi-final clash in Saint Petersburg on a giant screen at Paris' historic Hotel de Ville.

With the viewing space at a premium, as every vantage spot was occupied - with fans perched on trees, over vans, on dustbins and all sorts of things to get a view of 2018 biggest sporting event.

Samuel Umtiti's decisive goal in the 51st minute set off the waving of an ocean of tricolor banners as joyful supporters - numerous in the national team's color-kissed and embraced and danced.

A huge number of delighted fans pressed the Champs-Élysées chanting, dancing and setting off flares

"Vive la France, Vive la Republique" shouted Alia and Sacha, two Parisian schoolchildren.

"We are so proud to be French tonight!" Alia explained as firecrackers exploded on the cobblestones.

Motorbikes, cycles, cars, dustbin lorries - they all came to a standstill to join in the celebrations. With France under high security since the November 2015 terror attacks, the fan zone at the town hall was policed by over 1,200 members of the security forces.

Fans, who had climbed on top of buses gingerly inching their way through the crowds, were dancing and waving flares and flags, as the bus driver fought a losing battle to get his passengers to their destination on time.

- Vive la France -

"I was 18 years old in 1998, it was one of the most beautiful nights of my life. We'll repeat that this Sunday," said Sebastien.

"This team is fantastic," he said, beaming.

"Boys, we're world champions" one man in his 30s was heard telling his mates. "Stop that, you'll bring us bad luck" he was reprimanded before the group of friends broke out into the chant of the night -- "We're in the final".

From balconies, families waved the French national flag, children kitted out in Les Bleus shirts waved to the crowd below.

The Rue de Rivoli, normally choc-a-bloc with Tuesday night traffic, became a temporary pedestrian zone as crowds made their way along it past the Louvre to the Champs-Elysees, where 20 years earlier Paris had gathered to celebrate France's sole World Cup win.

Two decades on, there was a sense of deja vu as thousands of euphoric fans turned the City of Lights' most celebrated boulevard into a giant street party.

Up in the capital's red light district at Pigalle in the 18th arrondissement, the neon lit-windmill outside the Moulin Rouge cabaret was shrouded in a haze of smoke bombs and flares

"It's magnificent," beamed Thierry Perrier, 45, who was with his eight-year-old daughter.

"We needed this in France, we deserved it. We had the best players and for the moral of the French, to win the World Cup would be the best present ever," he said, his voice hoarse from cheering.

Another fan, 17-year-old Lea, was not even born when France won their one and only World Cup on a heady night at the Stade de France in a 3-0 triumph over Brazil.

SOURCE:https://cheapgoals.com/russia-2018-over-20000-parisians-celebrates-frances-march-to-the-world-cup-final/

4 Likes

Re: 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by Nobody: 5:35am On Jul 11, 2018
Majority of the kids shouting Ororo and Messi all over the internet were not even conceived when zinedine zidane scored both headers to win the world cup for France against Brazil in 1998. Yet they will litter every thread with goat, sheep, antelope. Indomie generation has google to thank, in those days we stayed glued to transistor radio's just to hear latest transfer news sad

70 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by Nobody: 6:22am On Jul 11, 2018
France = Africa all stars...

As for the poster above me, there's nothing Indomine about Messi and Ronaldo.

Winning World Cup is a collective effort. All the teams that have won World Cup in the past have almost their first eleven at the top of their games..

11 Likes

Re: 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:27am On Jul 11, 2018
Congratulations France...

Toutes nos félicitations

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by cheddahboy(m): 6:43am On Jul 11, 2018
France 4 lifestyle

2 Likes

Re: 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by faithfull18(f): 7:10am On Jul 11, 2018
Hmm.

See my signature.
Re: 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by Seconsol92(m): 7:10am On Jul 11, 2018
They deserve to be in the final

3 Likes

Re: 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by KendrickAyomide: 7:11am On Jul 11, 2018
cheesy
Re: 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by psychologist(m): 7:11am On Jul 11, 2018
Proud moment for me as a Barcelona fan (Umtiti) the real mvp

And so I heard that the GOAT==>Good only in tapin has joined Juve grin more proud moment

3 Likes

Re: 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by Brunicekid(m): 7:12am On Jul 11, 2018
France una well-done ooo.

FRANCE NOW IN FINAL.
Re: 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by kapelvej: 7:13am On Jul 11, 2018
GoTV:
Majority of the kids shouting Ororo and Messi all over the internet were not even conceived when zinedine zidane scored both headers to win the world cup for France against Brazil in 1998. Yet they will litter every thread with goat, sheep, antelope. Indomie generation has google to thank, in those days we stayed glued to transistor radio's just to hear latest transfer news sad
were around when England won in 1966. This is their time bikoooo. There is time for everybody

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by Dacronym(m): 7:14am On Jul 11, 2018
Mbappe lon Seseyen

Sadly I don't have the Same Confidence in England the way I've had in France

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by papascode: 7:14am On Jul 11, 2018
The French were incredible last night

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by Nobody: 7:15am On Jul 11, 2018
Lazy French people...
It took Germany just few days to destroy France during the 2nd world war. And the Germans enjoy the French women very well, while the men are either dead, captured, or ran away to Britain.
*spits*

3 Likes

Re: 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by henrixx(m): 7:16am On Jul 11, 2018
Congrats france

Africa is behind you
Re: 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by Nobody: 7:16am On Jul 11, 2018
GoTV:
''In those days''. Wake up bro; we are in 2nd quarter of 2018. things ave changed alot since 1998...
Re: 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by Sanchez01: 7:18am On Jul 11, 2018
France must win the World Cup o!

I can't stand hearing English commentators leaving match commentaries and start talking about how the likes of Rashford, Ashley Young and Harry Kane 'stunned' the world.

9 Likes

Re: 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by sparog(m): 7:18am On Jul 11, 2018
grin
Re: 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by Nobody: 7:20am On Jul 11, 2018
France and Belgium have the largest number of talented footballers in Europe. I think either of them deserves it.

3 Likes

Re: 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by ruggedtimi(m): 7:21am On Jul 11, 2018
The beauty of soccer! grin grin If super eagles gets to the final na 150mil Nigerians go March out.

9 Likes

Re: 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by Sanchez01: 7:21am On Jul 11, 2018
GoTV:
So you expect them to join you and get stuck in that email simply because you Watched France win the World Cup then? Besides, 1998 isn't that far back in time.
Re: 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by Alwaysking: 7:21am On Jul 11, 2018
France will win the world cup, quote me anywhere.

4 Likes

Re: 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by Nobody: 7:22am On Jul 11, 2018
GoTV:

You are talking 1998 as if it was 1966.

That's just 20 years ago. I'm less than 36 now and I am part of the Messi-Ronaldo noise, but I watched Zidane very well. I watched France 98, even USA 94.

10 Likes

Re: 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by Sanchez01: 7:23am On Jul 11, 2018
Jarus:
France and Belgium have the largest number of talented footballers in Europe. I think either of them deserves it.
I don't agree to this o. It has to be Brazil before others. There are so many unsung Brazilian talents in Europe.
Re: 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by iluvpomo(m): 7:25am On Jul 11, 2018
abiodunalasa:
Lazy French people...
It took Germany just few days to destroy France during the 2nd world war. And the Germans enjoy the French women very well, while the men are either dead, captured, or ran away to Britain.
*spits*
Welcome to the year 2018. WW2 ended 73 years ago ... shocked

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by Nobody: 7:28am On Jul 11, 2018
Sanchez01:

I don't agree to this o. It has to be Brazil before others. There are so many unsung Brazilian talents in Europe.

Unsung? Can a Brazilian be unsung?

If you are good enough, you will not be stuck in Zenith St Petersburg or Nantes, the big boys of football - Madrid, Barca, Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, PSG, Bayern, Juve etc - will find you.

These are where French and Belgians play and regularly. You can't talk of unsung talent hiding somewhere, especially Brazilians.
Re: 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by els0nm0rali(m): 7:29am On Jul 11, 2018
And they haven't even won the cup yet or is there a cup for second place?

By the way who is playing against France in the final?
Re: 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by Shortyy(f): 7:30am On Jul 11, 2018
Congratulations boys. We are proud of you.
Re: 2018 World Cup: Over 20,000 Parisians Celebrates France’s March To The Final by GOFRONT(m): 7:33am On Jul 11, 2018
Oh Yeah........I love france, I love french language, I love Macron, I love Mppape..

France to get the worldcup for us....

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Loses AFCON 2027 Hosting Right / Notable Nigeria footballers of Old (Photos) / #WorldCup: Peru Female Supporters Flashing Boobs At The Game Against Denmark

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.