Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,591 members, 7,809,145 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:14 AM

Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! (56073 Views)

President Tinubu Appoints Aderinsola Abiola As Senior Special Assistant / Atiku, Osita Chidoka, Oyedepo, Kukah, Sheik Gumi Inside Atiku's Jet / Buhari’s Award Of GCFR To M.K.O Abiola Illegal — Ex-cjn Belgore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! by tomakint: 2:09am On Jun 09, 2020
27 years ago on June 8, 1993, The Guadian Published my advertisement in support of the Abiola/Kingibe ticket for the June 12 election. The advert was a culmination of events starting from University of Nigeria Enugu Campus, The Guardian Newspapers and relationships that formed my worldview.

At UNEC, during my first semester, I started a Newsletter titled “The Mirror” of which I was the reporter, editor and publisher. The newsletter was stenciled, cyclostyled and pasted across hostel and departmental notice boards weekly. The Newsletter endorsed Emejulu Okpala for President SUG, he won. Our relationship started as we formed Eastern Youth Forum as our political arm to raise consciousness amongst the people of old Eastern Region.

In 1992, ASUU went on a long strike and to occupy my time and realize my desire for journalism, I went to Rutam House and requested to meet the Managing Director, Lade Bonuola. He obliged me, listened to me patiently as I made my pitch for a part time job as a reporter. He asked a few questions, and I believe, struck by my audacity offered me a job with transport allowance as the only remuneration. I accepted happily. Editor, Emeka Izeze, discussed with me briefly and sent me to work as reporter at the Business Desk. I arrived the following day and me Bisi Ojediran, Head of the Desk, his initial surprise that I was not a Mass Communication student on internship dissipated quickly as he gave me assignments immediately to edit a story. My life as reporter started.

My main target at The Guardian was to meet and acquaint myself with members of the Editorial Board. The Guardian at that time was the most influential newspaper in the country. Their famous editorial titled TO SAVE NIGERIA, rattled General Babangida and gingered the emerging opposition to military rule. The Guardian was a prestigious newspaper. Back to my presence at Rutam House.

I started with Edwin Madunagu, whose Thursday articles was a must read for me since secondary school days. Through him I met many members of the Nigeria radical left. I sought out Olatunji Dare, whose Matters Miscellaneous and Tuesday writings was a delight to read. He was mostly busy chairing the board. Okey Ikechukwu of the Ijele fame held sway every Wednesday, I thought of him as one of the most perceptive writer around. Reuben Abati, at the time the youngest member of the board, wrote in his literary form of interesting dialogue every Friday, a fitting end to the week. How can I forget Sina Odugbemi, who I spent endless hours with listening to his intense logic. His Monday articles was a wonderful way to start my week. The relationships i developed with some of the editorial board members opened new vistas in my worldview.

Through Edwin Madunagu, I met a number of members of radical left. I lived on the same route with Reuben, so most nights we went home together. I learnt a lot.

As June 12 election approached, the radical left and the media were united in working to get Gen. Babangida out. Abiola was not the best choice but getting IBB out was more important. We met regularly and on one occasion we met at Baba Omojola’s place and he requested that if the police should interrupt our meeting we should all claim members of Mourners Association in a meeting to mourn our departed. As the forces loyal to the government fought to use the Muslim/Muslim ticket to rally support for Tofa, who we believe was the government lackey, we decided it was time to get the people of south east and Christians to focus on a single enemy. This led to the advert paid for by my father, who was strongly in support of Abiola.

The advert caused problems amongst members of Eastern Youth Forum. Comrade Akhaine Odion and others encouraged me to stay the course.

In 1994, just before the anniversary of June 12, I met Chief Abiola through the Managing Director of The Concord, Mr Stanley Egbochukwu.....the story of the meeting and the link with Eastern Mandate Union, Arthur Nwankwo, Fred Eno, Kudirat Abiola and others will be discussed in a Facebook live video on June 12, 7pm West African Time.

Join me

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! by BREYZ: 2:58am On Jun 09, 2020
grin
Re: Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! by XXLMANDIGO: 3:33am On Jun 09, 2020
Actually Greatness don't start in a day

204 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! by Anazp: 3:34am On Jun 09, 2020
and so?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! by Nobody: 3:51am On Jun 09, 2020
Peterobi90:
This was when Nigerians crossed oceans for Nigerians whom would find it difficult to cross gutters for same Nigerians..

Well, it seems now Nigerians would rather it scatters than look stupid if the opportunity comes.

His unflinching support for Abiola, GEJ then Kanu would sure leave you confused on his kind of person.. but there is a common thing amongst the three, they brought about change in different times..

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! by Nobody: 3:51am On Jun 09, 2020
XXLMANDIGO:
Actually Greatness don't start in a day
..... na so eee dey be naaaaa

3 Likes

Re: Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! by futurerex: 3:58am On Jun 09, 2020
...and the looting continues.

2 Likes

Re: Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! by Peterobi90: 4:16am On Jun 09, 2020
This was when Nigerians crossed oceans for Nigerians whom would find it difficult to cross gutters for same Nigerians..

Well, it seems now Nigerians would rather it scatters than look stupid if the opportunity comes.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! by ican2020: 4:36am On Jun 09, 2020
A great mind

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! by Captainrambo2: 4:45am On Jun 09, 2020
Nor be today....... sane way soyinka supported biafra when they seceded...

11 Likes

Re: Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! by 1zynnvn(m): 5:37am On Jun 09, 2020
yooo, im i the only one that noticed that computer sales advert,2mb RAM, 82mb HD grin grin.

188 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! by janedonez(m): 6:28am On Jun 09, 2020
Osita Chidoka, that great guy. So it didn't start recently? Anyway, we seem to be on the same lane in terms of success and result driven nature.
I will attain dominance in political and social life too.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! by strangest(m): 6:56am On Jun 09, 2020
potopoto republic supporting afonja.... life is beautiful
Re: Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! by ednut1(m): 7:18am On Jun 09, 2020
1zynnvn:
yooo, im i the only one that noticed that computer sales advert,2mb RAM, 82mb HD grin grin.
45k in 1992 omo

77 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! by solmus: 7:18am On Jun 09, 2020
cool

we all know why his flat head was supporting Billionaire business man like Abiola MKO, and even making a paid publication/advert for all to see in a newspaper

Same Osita jumped from supporting Jonathan over Fulani Atiku, to suddenly support Fulani Atiku because of peanut, now he is back to supporting Nnamdi Kanu to insult Fulanis again

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! by nku5: 7:22am On Jun 09, 2020
I thought some riff-raff Tinubu touts are fond of saying Igbos didnt support Abiola grin grin grin

Nice one OP

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! by LexngtonSteele: 7:33am On Jun 09, 2020
solmus:
cool

we all know why his flat head was supporting Billionaire business man like Abiola, and even making a paid publication for all to see

Same Osita jumped from supporting Jonathan over Fulani Atiku, to suddenly support Fulani Atiku because of peanut

He's an opportunist and an asslicker who rode off his father in law. It was a bit sickening to see how he was trying to ride off Nnamdi Kanu's popularity instead of trying to achieve something on his own.

I don't know why his people don't quickly see this.

I prefer people like Orji Kalu who are friends of all and a bit consistent. I even like Nnamdi Kanu who is his own man and doesn't go about licking other's butts, as directionless as he might be...

All politicians are thieves, so Orji Kalu is no different for those who would rush to abuse..

24 Likes

Re: Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! by LexngtonSteele: 7:33am On Jun 09, 2020
grin

1 Like

Re: Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! by Sammy07: 7:36am On Jun 09, 2020
nku5:
I thought some riff-raff Tinubu touts are fond of saying Igbos didnt support Abiola grin grin grin

Nice one OP

Did they?

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! by solmus: 7:38am On Jun 09, 2020
LexngtonSteele:

He's an opportunist and an asslicker who rode off his father in law.

I don't know why his people don't quickly see this.

I prefer people like Orji Kalu who are friends of all and a bit consistent.

All politicians are thieves, so Orji Kalu is no different for those who would rush to abuse..

Orji isn't an Ibo Ibo , he is more of a Nigerian just like Okorocha.. if you have Ibo friends born and raised outside Ibo land you'd get they are more refined than the ones who never crossed niger bridge

Kalu's mistake is getting caught.. No sane Politician would spend millions for party tick, millions to get party primaries nomination and millions to campaign, and settle for just 1m salary,

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! by Ipromote: 7:39am On Jun 09, 2020
He didn't start today.

See my signature
Re: Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! by TreasureTayo(m): 7:40am On Jun 09, 2020
hmmmm
Re: Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! by Neddstark: 7:40am On Jun 09, 2020
1zynnvn:

Lol and for a very expensive 43k then. That would have been like 200k right now in value

5 Likes

Re: Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! by nanauju(f): 7:40am On Jun 09, 2020
I am happy when I see people with flawless skin, introducing YORI YORI this is for those who want to whiten very fast, it doesn't bleach, it lightens very fast giving u a fair and glowing skin, removes black spots, black heads, black knuckles, pimples and gradually fades stretch marks ❤️

RETAIL PRICE: 1800

Call or whatsapp on 070 6180 9819

Location is Lagos

1 Like

Re: Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! by TreasureTayo(m): 7:40am On Jun 09, 2020
LabDNA:
But yorubas now hate Osita chidoka.
I guess he now regrets that support.

Thank God MKO never made it to presidency.

Ndi yoruba bu ekwensu!
Re: Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! by GodSaklek(m): 7:40am On Jun 09, 2020
I dreamed this about Africa and it shall come to pass.

*A world where the government will say, "I think am not competent enough,I have failed my people,let me step down(Resigns) for another person maybe they may have a better ideas than me"

*A world where there will be a competition between billionaires, they will be running around looking for poor people to help and some billionaires will stand up and say "is there any poor people around for me to help,anyone that help me find someone still living in poverty will be greatly rewarded"

*A world where people will see each other as part of them, and one will say "why would I hurt them?,they are part of me,if I hurt them,I have hurt myself,if they dies,am also dead.

3 Likes 1 Share

grin grin grin grin grin
Neddstark:

Lol and for a very expensive 43k then. That would have been like 200k right now in value
Exactly
Re: Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! by Goldenheart(m): 7:41am On Jun 09, 2020
cool
Re: Osita Chidoka Support For M.K.O Abiola As A Student In 1993! by IVORY2009(m): 7:41am On Jun 09, 2020
1zynnvn:

But this is expensive, at as that time shocked

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Trends On Twitter As Atiku From Cameroon Story Gone Viral / Polling Unit In My Area In Alimosho Lagos - Photos / Official Vehicle Of The Executive Governor Of Enugu State – Armoured BMW 760li

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.