Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,731 members, 7,817,012 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? (34051 Views)

Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? / Landlord Or Landlady, Which Of These Do You Prefer To Rent Their Houses?? / Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jun 09, 2020
restore8:
In my 100l my experience with my landlord was a terrible one. It was a self contained apartment. There was no toilet in the house but he lied to my dad about it.

I decided to adapt to this situation without telling my parents at home. Since I was new, my dad decided that I should be going to their church- Deeper Life. I couldn't and that was were the problem started. My landlord started to see me as a sinner because I was going to CASOR.

A friend of mine got admission and he wanted us to leave that place. That was when I began to hate religion. This man started saying bad words about me. He did his best to destroy my reputation but God was so faithful.

Although, all these challenges made me become a better person, but there were still some painful lessons learnt. Because of him I stopped being religious and decided to seek God for myself.

I hate religion!

Wetin be that their slogan again..... shebi una meeting days na Tuesday
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Zane2point4(m): 6:05pm On Jun 09, 2020
LandMann:
House Renting Tips

1. Avoid houses with only landlady. If the landlord is still alive in charge then good. If not, just search further.

2. If you like your privacy, then set boundaries from the onset. If you are always jumping into people's room then no-one will respect your privacy.

3. Don't owe rent at all. Negotiate before you move in. If it's two or three months rent you can pay at once, make it clear and pay when due to keep your respect and avoid unnecessary embarrassment.

4. *As for those who pay yearly rent, I salute you. Perhaps you don't yet know the time value of money*

Which village are u living in?
Which landlord collects rent monthly?

4 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by segun18(m): 6:05pm On Jun 09, 2020
Dpsychologist:
What is your worst Experience With A landlord/landlady?

My undergraduate days was one of the times that i had worst Experience With Landlords. I happen to have worst Experiences with 2 Landlords:

First Landlord
While i got admission into higher institution, i rented an Apartment close to school, my dad followed me inorder to know where i stay. In the process, he met my Landlord. They talked for a while and he collected my dad's number. The Man was jovial little did i know there will be a problem.

There was a time our light got spoiled he told me that since I am using gas I should help him and boil water, I obliged. From that day the man wants to exploit me. He came back the next day that he wanted me to give him stew if i have, i gave him. He came back two days that i should give him groundnut oil that's when i realized he wants to use my niceness to exploit me. Since then i promised myself not to give him things anyhow. He still came back after 5days that i should help him with raw pepper i told him it is finished then he asked me of matches i told him it has also finished. That was the last time he asked me for something.

About two weeks later my dad sent me money and then told me to give some part of the money to the landlord. I wanted to ask my dad why, but i just allowed it slide and gave him. As time goes on i observed he is also trying to exploit my dad. The next time my dad sent money to me he told me to give the Landlord again i corner the money. I later told my dad not to give that guy money again he is trying to exploit us.

One year after i left the Apartment he send message to my dad containing his account number that my dad should send him money.

Second Landlord
In 400L I was a roommate to my coursemate (my roommate stayed there a year earlier). The Landlord warmly welcomed me. The man was very nice, so i thought, he even told us that as student when we need something we should just ask them, let there be harmony. I never knew i will face alot of anger.

It first started when the Landlord borrowed my knife and hasn't returned it for two days i asked my roommate if he sees the knife he told me he will talk to Landlord. Later he came and told me that the knife was missing that while the Landlord was making cake he couldn’t find the knife. I was disappointed but let it slide.

Few days later when we came back from lectures he told us that he took some of our sweet potatoes and ate because he was hungry, i was ok with it.

It started getting anoying when our Landlord turned our room as if it was his. He will just open the door and enter into our room without knocking and start demanding for something, the one that anoys me most is toothpaste. It became too much that we had to hide our toothpaste from him.

During semester break we went home but i forgot something very important so i came back the next day only for me to see that our room was opened and my travelling bag and that of my roommate opened he came rushing to me that let him apologize that he took my vaseline. I told him no problem. When we resumed that's when i realised my sponge, hairbrush and perfume were missing.

I became very angry, felt like strangling him. I asked of the Landlord, his wife told me he has gotten back to school i was very pissed off i told her what he has been doing, she said that's how he use to do that when we went to semester break that he slept in our room, that on behalf of him she is saying sorry that i should take heart.

Ewooooooooo your 2 landlords na gbege o.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Dpsychologist: 6:07pm On Jun 09, 2020
Angelfrost:
Can't really say I have ever had such experiences... I always stay in buildings where neither the landlord nor his wife/wives equally reside... I only communicate with them cordially via phone or SMS. This would be merely to register complaints (which hardly occurs since the building manager handles such)... My rents always get paid in promptly, so no basis for his calling to remind me.

I'm of the school of thought that landlords and tenants should never live together!!! A lot of stress, drama, and infractions would be easily avoided!!!... Same way or reason daughters and their mother in-laws should never be brought under the same roofs under any circumstances.
Yea i agree with your philosophy

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Dpsychologist: 6:08pm On Jun 09, 2020
segun18:

Ewooooooooo your 2 landlords na gbege o.
They are hungry landlords
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Jackossky(m): 6:10pm On Jun 09, 2020
Hahaha. Never had an episode with my landlord in school.

In short, I don't know. I partially know my caretaker because my roomie is the one who settled issue with him and he doesn't even know me.

My problem is not the landlord but the tenant, Omo, all these guys got big big generators and doing competition throughout the two semesters I stayed in that place.

The noise was out of this world, I even opined to go get myself a small gen that makes noise very well to repay them for their noisy gestures.

However, my friend(staying flats away) do have a lovely landlord who is staying in same flat and do share goodies that sometimes get to me.

4 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by sampwod: 6:10pm On Jun 09, 2020
The worst one can get is to have a wicked landlady especially during the Covid 19 lockdown period... They are more wicked than devil himself... Chai

4 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by misterjosh(m): 6:13pm On Jun 09, 2020
Dpsychologist:
What is your worst Experience With A landlord/landlady?
undecided undecided
Are you sure you weren't staying with caretakers that were pretending to be landlords...
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by bigcee(m): 6:17pm On Jun 09, 2020
Fransisco911:
My friend came to my house just to use my toilet My landlady started shouting I brought my friend to fill her house soakaway with shit. She even said you know how much dem take dey park shit u dis boy?
Lwkmd grin grin grin

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Slimsly100(f): 6:21pm On Jun 09, 2020
I've never lived in the same house with a landlord/lady before o. Even as a student. Na for year one our caretaker wan misbehave na in I put am for him position o.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Biafranguy1(m): 6:22pm On Jun 09, 2020
Let me book space for my comments, i will come back soon to tell my own horrible experience...
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Casper21: 6:26pm On Jun 09, 2020
My only problem is my landlord never visited my lodge and I didn't meet him. Everybody was well comported. Lol, I was living in a self con of 250k. Na all this cheap lodge tenants dey complain here

5 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by bigcee(m): 6:27pm On Jun 09, 2020
Sardauna24:
Bro my advice for u is to embrace islam the religion of peace,you will start to be loving religion.you will have a peace of mind till everlasting..

5 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Pavillon: 6:27pm On Jun 09, 2020
This happened during during my final year in school.
I joined my friends in their two bedroom flat apartments, where 5 of them occupied, plus me making it 6 altogether.
But this landlady from gave us tough time. These friends of mine attend the same church with the landlady so this gave her more hand in behaving irrationally because they wouldn't want to involve church elders as she always threatens. But when I got there, the narrative changed.
No water in the compound, just because of a leakage in the tank, she couldn't purchase another tank or even block the leakage. Instead she would wait till she collect house rent.
Repair this she will say *no money*
Water no rush *no money*
This one spoil No money!!
No money!!!!
So many atrocities and very awful behaviour which I can't even narrate so i gave her tough time, always arguing and arguing, at a time, my friends called me *mama's husband* cheesy

But the day this mama showed me fire was on the 14th of Nov 2018, the day I was to write my last compulsory final year exam. She just burst in to our apartment, (I was the only one left at hostel that moment, preparing my white signout shirt)
Ehenen, una no dy go anywhere today,
Today today, u go pay my NEPA bill, I swear, u no dy go anywhere, if you no pay my money, you no dy go anywhere

She started blocking my way, locking the burglary,..
Haaaa, you no dy go kini, devil won use the woman sha..
In fact I lost my ability to argue that day as I was already running outta time for the exam. I just gently and humbly gave her everything with me that day, even begging her as I was giving her.
Money that about 6 of us were meant to share, I was the sacrificial lamb that day ooo

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Doyou2019: 6:34pm On Jun 09, 2020
Pavillon:
I joined my friends in their two bedroom flat apartments, where 5 of them occupied, plus me making it 6 altogether.
But this landlady from gave us tough time. These friends of mine attend the same church with the landlady so this gave her more hand in behaving irrationally because they wouldn't want to involve church elders as she always threatens. But when I got there, the narrative changed.
No water in the compound, just because of a leakage in the tank, she couldn't purchase another tank or even block the leakage. Instead she would wait till she collect house rent.
Water no rush *no money*
No money!!!!
So many atrocities and very awful behaviour which I can't even narrate so i gave her tough time, always arguing and arguing, at a time, my friends called me *mama's husband* cheesy

But the day this mama showed me fire was on the 14th of Nov 2018, the day I was to write my last compulsory final year exam. She just burst in to our apartment, (I was the only one left at hostel that moment, preparing my white signout shirt)
Today today, u go pay my NEPA bill, I swear, u no dy go anywhere, if you no pay my money, you no dy go anywhere

In fact I lost my ability to argue that day as I was already running outta time for the exam. I just gently and humbly gave her everything with me that day, even begging her as I was giving her.
Money that about 6 of us were meant to share, I was the sacrificial lamb that day ooo

Na you mouth kill you grin Why you let her know the day your most important final exam go sele?

5 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by bigcee(m): 6:35pm On Jun 09, 2020
Casper21:
My only problem is my landlord never visited my lodge and I didn't meet him. Everybody was well comported. Lol, I was living in a self con of 250k. Na all this cheap lodge tenants dey complain here
Stfu abeg

8 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by odimbannamdi(m): 6:36pm On Jun 09, 2020
konkonbilo:
I just rented a flat last week, didn't know that they put on water only once a day and the water finishes after 30min or 1hr the most. I'm really angry now because have paid and packed in after suffering searching for house over a month and wasted alot of money on agent dues and transporting different agent from one location to another. When I was showned the house they assured me there's water and it was locked from the back.. When I complained the landlady said I should go buy drum that even her uses drum for storage of water. Though the rooms of the house are big, that was what attracted me that atleast I could use for my work as well. But that baggage de disturb me and the gate is been locked so early.

The reason the water doesnt last is most likely because the tanks are small or other tenants (especially those with large families) have big drums that they fetch the water.

It is a very common problem and i experience it too. I had to go buy big drums and 30litre kegs and kept in every room in my house. As they are pumping the water, i am filling my drums and kegs.

It is part of the uncertainties we face in Nigeria. Just adapt, bro.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Dpsychologist: 6:37pm On Jun 09, 2020
Pavillon:
Water no rush *no money*
No money!!!!

The bolded got me laughing
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by mfm04622: 6:40pm On Jun 09, 2020
RealEzee:
� � Oh mine was wild, barely 4 months in the flat she issued quit notice because we didn't accept to pay for outstanding nepa bill by the previous tenant, she didn't even fix the kitchen and the master's bedroom she promised to, the woman worry ehnn,las las we went to court and got extension, like play like play we ended up staying there for two extra years without paying a dime for rent, she thought na only her know lawyer lol madam changed lawyers 4 times.

Wetin vex me pass was our next door neighbor who mumu himself telling us that we should just pay the bill so peace will reign,we were like no p pls help us pay as a good Samaritan abi u be UN youth ambassador, he was even driving the landlady mother sef, omo them turn the guy to house boy guun, twas too late for him before his eyes clear lol.
You are very wicked! Stayed in somebody's house for 2 years without paying? I pray somebody do the same to you

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by konkonbilo(m): 6:42pm On Jun 09, 2020
odimbannamdi:

The reason the water doesnt last is most likely because the tanks are small or other tenants (especially those with large families) have big drums that they fetch the water.

It is a very common problem and i experience it too. I had to go buy big drums and 30litre kegs and kept in every room in my house. As they are pumping the water, i am filling my drums and kegs.

Chai!!! Some landlord/ladies just take life too hard for tenants.. Make God provide make tenants sef build hin own house. It's just annoying that you came home and can't put on the shower, you have to start turning water from kegs or drum.
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Pavillon: 6:43pm On Jun 09, 2020
Doyou2019:

Na you mouth kill you grin Why you let her know the day your most important final exam go sele?

I no inform her Na..
I dont know how she got know...or probably it was just a coincidence.
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by bummyla(m): 6:43pm On Jun 09, 2020
I once rented a room at a very big building in Lekki, where the caretaker slept with tenants wives or daughters, if they did not pay in time. Nobody buys a new thing in that house, without buying Baba's own. Baba an ex-military guy was greatly feared! If you buy television, you buy two. Then i was selling Visafone mobile. I nearly gave him some phones for free for his girlfriends till God delivered me! Caught Baba searching my room after I had left for work, I collected my spare key that night from him. Baba brought soldiers to drive me out, once they got to know who my boss was, they will always advised Baba to be patient with me till my tenancy ran out. Immediately i left the building in December, the next year February the owner came and rove everybody away from his property. https://www.God.bingo

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by ikemesit4477: 6:43pm On Jun 09, 2020
Goalnaldo:
I'm imagining the scene. Did you eat the food? cheesy
eat what? I carry am go flush for toilet! cos I didn't want her to detect it in the waste bin!
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by odimbannamdi(m): 6:44pm On Jun 09, 2020
LandMann:
House Renting Tips

1. Avoid houses with only landlady. If the landlord is still alive in charge then good. If not, just search further.

2. If you like your privacy, then set boundaries from the onset. If you are always jumping into people's room then no-one will respect your privacy.

3. Don't owe rent at all. Negotiate before you move in. If it's two or three months rent you can pay at once, make it clear and pay when due to keep your respect and avoid unnecessary embarrassment.

4. As for those who pay yearly rent, I salute you. Perhaps you don't yet know the time value of money.

Most landlords will kick against payments in piecemeal. It is even usually in your agreement that you will pay at least yearly, and it will be a breach of agreement if you do otherwise.

The more responsible thing to do is to set aside the monthly rent from the onset and invest in a financial instrument. By the end of the year, the investment should have accrued an interest of at least 5%.

This way you will kill 2 birds with one stone - paying your rent in line with the agreement and getting the money to work for you as well.

10 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Doyou2019: 6:45pm On Jun 09, 2020
Pavillon:

I no inform her Na.. I dont know how she got know...or probably it was just a coincidence.
Noted. Funny story all the same. grin
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by odimbannamdi(m): 6:47pm On Jun 09, 2020
konkonbilo:
Chai!!! Some landlord/ladies just take life too hard for tenants.. Make God provide make tenants sef build hin own house. It's just annoying that you came home and can't put on the shower, you have to start turning water from kegs or drum.

Lol...i can relate. But no be landlord/lady fault. Na your co-tenants.
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Pavillon: 6:49pm On Jun 09, 2020
Dpsychologist:

The bolded got me laughing

Those were the words from her that day. I will never forget.
A small stature and looking very fragile and sickly woman. So I was scared to that just manoeuvre my way to escape forcefully which could lead to something worse. So I humbled myself that day.

I miss her strong pidgin oo....Edo woman

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by etibaba(m): 6:50pm On Jun 09, 2020
Xavfra:

Wetin be that their slogan again..... shebi una meeting days na Tuesday
Avalanche of love.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Ndipe(m): 7:06pm On Jun 09, 2020
None really.
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by pedi(m): 7:15pm On Jun 09, 2020
Well my down here was nice it was same house I stay during my nysc years and after that I continue staying there, they took me like there son they always cook and give me till date, my issue is the always close gate like around 9 pm and I love to watch football so most time after games at night I have to knocked before it will be open, and in that same house there is a single mum who always want to seduce me there was a day I wake up early morning to bath for work that single mum so me an she untire the towel on her waist my brother see mature apple but I took my face away as if I so nothing, aside from gate close by 9 I must say I feel at home here.

5 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by boyjo: 7:23pm On Jun 09, 2020
odimbannamdi:

Why can't they pump again and again?
What is the pumping machine for??

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by boyjo: 7:25pm On Jun 09, 2020
konkonbilo:

Why did they not pump the water again and again?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Building A (12 Flats) Mini Estate In Enugu / Building Collapses In Mushin, Lagos; Four Confirmed Dead / Cost Of 4 Flats Of 2 Bedroom.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.