Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,133 members, 7,957,244 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 09:44 AM

We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo (1458 Views)

"IPOB Must Renounce Violence" - Olawepo Hashim Urges FG To Free Nnamdi Kanu / We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Yoruba / I’m Nigerian By Birth, Says Atiku- PUNCH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by shehuolayinka(m): 10:36am On Jun 09, 2020
BY, Fredrick Nwabufo

The recent current of the #BlackLivesMatter movement in the US has surged tremendously in Nigeria – a country in the thrall of its own unique kind of ‘’racism’’ – tribalism. Nigerians held protests at the embassy of the US in Abuja, condemning the murder of George Floyd, an African-American, by a Caucasian Minneapolis police officer a few days ago. Really, while the protests are for a righteous cause, no doubt, we need to re-wheel and deepen them to square up to our own fundamental imbalances.

The US is a society that is attuned to its frailties and rises to the occasion when need be to confront them. While there are laws to address issues of racism in America like the Civil Rights Act of 1964, there are no laws assiduously tackling tribalism in Nigeria. In fact, the laws we have in Nigeria are designed to accent tribalism and nepotism; for example, the Quota System, ‘’Federal Character Principle’’ and ‘’catchment area’’ policy.

I must say, while the Quota System and the Federal Character Principle were ideated to rugby-tackle concerns of ethnic representation in the public sector, they have over the years become the fulcrums on which tribalism, nepotism and ethnic dominance are scaffolded. These policies have also enthroned incompetence, discrimination, lack of healthy competition, indolence and indiscipline in the national life while supplanting meritocracy and competence.

I scored 284 in JAMB – high above the cut-off mark of the course I applied to study at university. But I could not secure admission at the university I wanted which was in another part of the country where I am supposedly not a native. I was robbed of choice because of the ‘’catchment area’’ policy. This was many years ago, but the academic apartheid still persists in Nigeria today. There is no change even in 2020!

Now, I have an eight-year-old son, and if I elect that he studies in Nigeria, that will be putting him through the same mill of discrimination and institutional apartheid that I faced. I think, this is the worst kind of ‘’native racism’’. We really have got to make Nigeria work for all Nigerians.

We live in country where to transact any official matter you have to declare your ‘’state of origin’’ and not your ‘’state of residence’’ – even when you have lived in a particular area in the country since your nativity.

I recall, in March, the Cross River state house of assembly rejected the appointment of Akon Ikpeme as substantive chief judge of the state — because she is from Akwa Ibom, even though she is married to a Cross Riverian.

In a voice vote at a plenary session, the assembly rejected Ikpeme’s appointment after receiving a report by the committee on judiciary. In the report, Godwin Akwaji, representing Obudu state constituency, and five others, recommended her rejection on the loony grounds that she is not a native of the state. Ikpeme hails from Akwa Ibom state, but she is married to an indigene of Cross River.

READ MORE: https://thebelltimesng.com/2020/06/06/we-must-renounce-our-tribal-identities-im-nigerian-not-igbo-byfredrick-nwabufo/

1 Like

Re: We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by Top1gun: 10:38am On Jun 09, 2020
With Yoruba monicker, continue OK.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by Vyzz: 10:38am On Jun 09, 2020
grin
Re: We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by BigBabyJesus: 10:38am On Jun 09, 2020
[s]
shehuolayinka:
BY, Fredrick Nwabufo

The recent current of the #BlackLivesMatter movement in the US has surged tremendously in Nigeria – a country in the thrall of its own unique kind of ‘’racism’’ – tribalism. Nigerians held protests at the embassy of the US in Abuja, condemning the murder of George Floyd, an African-American, by a Caucasian Minneapolis police officer a few days ago. Really, while the protests are for a righteous cause, no doubt, we need to re-wheel and deepen them to square up to our own fundamental imbalances.

The US is a society that is attuned to its frailties and rises to the occasion when need be to confront them. While there are laws to address issues of racism in America like the Civil Rights Act of 1964, there are no laws assiduously tackling tribalism in Nigeria. In fact, the laws we have in Nigeria are designed to accent tribalism and nepotism; for example, the Quota System, ‘’Federal Character Principle’’ and ‘’catchment area’’ policy.

I must say, while the Quota System and the Federal Character Principle were ideated to rugby-tackle concerns of ethnic representation in the public sector, they have over the years become the fulcrums on which tribalism, nepotism and ethnic dominance are scaffolded. These policies have also enthroned incompetence, discrimination, lack of healthy competition, indolence and indiscipline in the national life while supplanting meritocracy and competence.

I scored 284 in JAMB – high above the cut-off mark of the course I applied to study at university. But I could not secure admission at the university I wanted which was in another part of the country where I am supposedly not a native. I was robbed of choice because of the ‘’catchment area’’ policy. This was many years ago, but the academic apartheid still persists in Nigeria today. There is no change even in 2020!

Now, I have an eight-year-old son, and if I elect that he studies in Nigeria, that will be putting him through the same mill of discrimination and institutional apartheid that I faced. I think, this is the worst kind of ‘’native racism’’. We really have got to make Nigeria work for all Nigerians.

We live in country where to transact any official matter you have to declare your ‘’state of origin’’ and not your ‘’state of residence’’ – even when you have lived in a particular area in the country since your nativity.

I recall, in March, the Cross River state house of assembly rejected the appointment of Akon Ikpeme as substantive chief judge of the state — because she is from Akwa Ibom, even though she is married to a Cross Riverian.

In a voice vote at a plenary session, the assembly rejected Ikpeme’s appointment after receiving a report by the committee on judiciary. In the report, Godwin Akwaji, representing Obudu state constituency, and five others, recommended her rejection on the loony grounds that she is not a native of the state. Ikpeme hails from Akwa Ibom state, but she is married to an indigene of Cross River.

READ MORE: https://thebelltimesng.com/2020/06/06/we-must-renounce-our-tribal-identities-im-nigerian-not-igbo-byfredrick-nwabufo/
[/s]

Multiculturalism bullsh!t.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by yanabasee1(m): 10:42am On Jun 09, 2020
This is a good mark to begin the fight against ethnicity and tribal war....

But, it will not work because religion people will still destroy the efforts...

1 Like

Re: We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by espn(m): 11:02am On Jun 09, 2020
yanabasee1:

you have a point bro...I wonder why we can live as one
Re: We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by NLandIsHypocrit: 11:02am On Jun 09, 2020
OP you're more f--lish than your write-ups, it's very obvious. Even if you were payed for this nonsense, and you accepted?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by NLandIsHypocrit: 11:07am On Jun 09, 2020
yanabasee1:

Eheen see them yoonity bargers, I knew they will soon flood this thread to masturbate on their fear of independence. They can't survive without us yet they hate us so much.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by Ekwutox: 11:17am On Jun 09, 2020
Ok let's start " I am Sudanese and NOT yoruba"

1 Like

Re: We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by Smoke55: 11:23am On Jun 09, 2020
Nonsense! I Am An Igbo! I Choose My Tribe Before My Corntree,my Tribe My Origin My Pride! What Is Nijiria? I Rather Denounce My Corntree Than My Tribe!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by Nobody: 11:28am On Jun 09, 2020
Read the comments, hateful people will remain hateful people and we will deal with them.

1 Like

Re: We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by Kwashiman: 12:11pm On Jun 09, 2020
DuwaRepublic:
Read the comments, hateful people will remain hateful people and we will deal with them.
This one will be forming RAMBO on a faceless forum, Oponu.. can your broke ass even stand up to any Igbo man around you? if dem no go beat shege banza comot for your body. Meanwhile, have you dealt with the poverty dealing with your family? grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jun 09, 2020
Kwashiman:

[s]This one will be forming RAMBO on a faceless forum, Oponu.. can you even stand up to any Igbo man around you? if dem no go beat shege banza comot for your body. Meaning have you dealt with the poverty dealing with your family? grin[/s]

I spit on your grave, disgusting human being. You are the scum of the earth, everybody knows this.

1 Like

Re: We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by Kwashiman: 12:14pm On Jun 09, 2020
DuwaRepublic:

I spit on your grave, disgusting human being. You are the scum of the earth, everybody knows this.

E pain am cheesy
I learned work from your father cheesy grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by LabDNA: 12:15pm On Jun 09, 2020
DuwaRepublic:

Noisemaking ewedu monkey, tell am make e show face for physical brawl, him go tear race.

Online alagabara warrior. grin

1 Like

Re: We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by awujale231: 12:26pm On Jun 09, 2020
Nigeria would probably kill you soon
Re: We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by ForeverSaved(m): 12:49pm On Jun 09, 2020
There's a mismatch between the heading and the write up.

You're first an 'Igbo', 'Hausa', Yoruba' man before being a Nigerian. If you can't defend your tribe and its identity and culture, how can you defend and represent Nigeria outside among other nations?.

There's beauty in our diversity. There's something to cherish in our various cultures.

What we should teach ourselves and the future generations is to accept the differences we have in our multicultural system, embrace others for simply being 'humans' and treating them as such, cherish their cultural experiences and most importantly, help one another do away with cultural practices that negatively affect the human dignity, such as, female genital mutilation, human sacrifice, excessive monitization of marriages and burials in some traditions and cultures, degrading of the girl child among so many others. We must begin to teach our children justice, fairness and integrity, and we must be seen to be doing so.

We need to seek out the beauty in our diversity then we will see the benefits, because what we focus on, is what we will see, and what you see is what you will get.

All the problems described above are due to willful injustice, wickedness and selfishness born out of ignorance of some persons who believe that the way up is by suppressing others, but that's self defeating in the long run. That is what we must point out and address, not abandoning our identities. A leopard can never change its skin.

1 Like

Re: We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by ejanla077: 1:09pm On Jun 09, 2020
Stupid article written by a fool
Re: We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by hammerpP: 1:27pm On Jun 09, 2020
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!.

COMMON SENSE IS NOT COMMON.
Re: We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by Ojiofor: 1:27pm On Jun 09, 2020
Foolish Igbo Nigerianist.

3 Likes

Re: We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by Rodwave: 1:30pm On Jun 09, 2020
Ojiofor:

Na aguiyi ironsi kind of people. Stupid people
Re: We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by Rodwave: 1:32pm On Jun 09, 2020
ForeverSaved:

There's a mismatch between the heading and the write up.

You're first an 'Igbo', 'Hausa', Yoruba' man before being a Nigerian. If you can't defend your tribe and its identity and culture, how can you defend and represent Nigeria outside among other nations?.

There's beauty in our diversity. There's something to cherish in our various cultures.

What we should teach ourselves and the future generations is to accept the differences we have in our multicultural system, embrace others for simply being 'humans' and treating them as such, cherish their cultural experiences and most importantly, help one another do away with cultural practices that negatively affect the human dignity, such as, female genital mutilation, human sacrifice, excessive monitization of marriages and burials in some traditions and cultures, degrading of the girl child among so many others. We must begin to teach our children justice, fairness and integrity, and we must be seen to be doing so.

We need to seek out the beauty in our diversity then we will see the benefits, because what we focus on, is what we will see, and what you see is what you will get.

All the problems described above are due to willful injustice, wickedness and selfishness born out of ignorance of some persons who believe that the way up is by suppressing others, but that's self defeating in the long run. That is what we must point out and address, not abandoning our identities. A leopard can never change its skin.

Nonsense. There is no beauty in any diversity. Nigeria is dead and must be discarded to the back water of animal history.
Re: We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jun 09, 2020
Rodwave:

Nonsense. There is no beauty in any diversity. Nigeria is dead and must be discarded to the back water of animal history.

There is beauty in our diversity if you choose to see it, however I’m no unity beggar, I don komot naija for una, go collect passport for better place

2 Likes

Re: We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by Rodwave: 1:49pm On Jun 09, 2020
kingawothefirst:

There is beauty in our diversity if you choose to see it, however I’m no unity beggar, I don komot naija for una, go collect passport for better place

You are very wicked and demonic just like your fellow abobaku monkeys. You are shouting one Nigerian from a better organised country. God will punish you

3 Likes

Re: We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by trutht828: 1:50pm On Jun 09, 2020
NLandIsHypocrit:
Eheen see them yoonity bargers, I knew they will soon flood this thread to masturbate on their fear of independence. They can't survive without us yet they hate us so much.

Show me evidence of the hatred
Re: We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jun 09, 2020
Rodwave:

[s]You are very wicked and demonic just like your fellow abobaku monkeys. You are shouting one Nigerian from a better organised country. God will punish you[/s]

I have never shouted one Nigeria in my life. Rot in the zoo idiot grin

3 Likes

Re: We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by VulgarVulvas: 1:56pm On Jun 09, 2020
Ojiofor:

A Joe Igbokwe, Nnamdi Azikiwe and Kaduna Nzeagwu special type of idiot

1 Like

Re: We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by dignity33: 4:03pm On Jun 09, 2020
Op I understand your plight because that is how it work in a progressive country but in this country called Nigeria it will never work. Some tribe was thought how to hate other from childhood and they grew with it, I'm not surprised you are Igbo because is only Igbos in the history of Nigeria that always want to unite this country as one but they will call you unity beggar . This is why I can't talk about Nigeria unity again instead I will devote my time talking on how we can achieve Biafra but the worst part of it is that once you mentioned Biafra they will called you name but still pretend as if they love Nigeria more than Igbos.

1 Like

Re: We Must Renounce Our Tribal Identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo by Rodwave: 6:44pm On Jun 10, 2020
kingawothefirst:

I have never shouted one Nigeria in my life. Rot in the zoo idiot grin

Lol. Anofia

(1) (Reply)

Meet The New Acting EFCC Chairman, Mohammed Umar / The Truth About Exchange Rates And The Performance Of Nations / 2023 Presidential Poll: North Rally Support For UNN Professor Of Law

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.