Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,897 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:30 PM

Software Development Or Civil Engineering School - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Software Development Or Civil Engineering School (490 Views)

Where Can I Gain Experience In Civil Engineering / Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering / Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Software Development Or Civil Engineering School by Herera: 1:54pm On Jun 09, 2020
Please kindly help me out guys
I graduated 2018 as a civil engineer and my elder bro suggested I pick up a skill in IT due to lack of jobs in Nigeria which I did. I started applying for IT related and civil engineering jobs immediately after my service year and luckily I was able to secure a job as a junior software developer in an IT firm with pay of #50,000 and to be honest it as been an amazing experience working in an IT firm.
Re: Software Development Or Civil Engineering School by Herera: 1:58pm On Jun 09, 2020
Recently a friend of mine we went to same school helped me to secure a civil engr project management role in the same company were he is currently working with a pay of #85,000 and allowance of #5,000 anytime we are going to sit with other little benefits and I am meant to resume next month. The problem now is I don't know which one to continue with, the civil or IT since I have passion for the both carrer. Please kindly help out with suggestions. Thanks
Re: Software Development Or Civil Engineering School by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:32pm On Jun 09, 2020
What skills did you have before you got the software job? 50000 is horrible for a developer. Extremely horrible.
Re: Software Development Or Civil Engineering School by Herera: 2:36pm On Jun 09, 2020
Basic front end skills html, css, js, and react.
Re: Software Development Or Civil Engineering School by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:08pm On Jun 09, 2020
Herera:
And you settled for 50k. Chei lipsrsealed
Re: Software Development Or Civil Engineering School by SirWhiteFish: 7:19pm On Jun 09, 2020
Software development is the best
Re: Software Development Or Civil Engineering School by obonujoker(m): 12:04am On Jun 10, 2020
Civil engineering is good.

There would always be projects.

And who say you can't continue remotely or freelance your IT skills??

Gain more experience in engineering.
Re: Software Development Or Civil Engineering School by Herera: 7:43am On Jun 10, 2020
Okay
Thanks for the advice
Re: Software Development Or Civil Engineering School by hefeeluv: 5:06pm On Jun 10, 2020
Herera:
pls ineed this mentioned skills am in my finals.how can i go about it
pls i contact you
Re: Software Development Or Civil Engineering School by kunlef1: 1:09pm On Jun 11, 2020
I will advise you to go ahead and take up the Civil Engineering position, because with a profession like Civil Engineering, you make more money with more years of experience, especially after you have obtained your professional certifications, NSE, COREN etc. You still have the option to switch to IT at any stage of your career, but the reverse is not possible if you do not practice from the beginning. Since you already have a job offer and the pay is even better than your current IT position, you have crossed the most difficult hurdle, as you can only grow in your engineering career from there. I will advise you to at least work for 4 - 5 years in civil engineering to obtain all the required certifications, and then decide if you will like to continue along the path or switch back to IT, so that you have more options in future.

IT skill is very useful and will be here for a long time. You can still keep your interest alive while practicing civil engineering, as IT is applicable to all other fields nowadays. Maybe you may be able to even apply the IT skill to develop some apps for civil engineers.

Cheers.

(1) (Reply)

Which Do You Suggest I Go For? / How To Work For An International Company From Home (remotely), N450,000/month. / Really Confused

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.