Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,754 members, 7,809,890 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:39 PM

PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria (2973 Views)

LASBCA Seals The Biggest Building In Bariga (Photos) / Check Out This 1925 Old Colonial Building In Port Harcourt / Fire Guts Building In Lagos After Woman Left Her Air Conditioner On. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by EgunMogaji2: 4:04am On Jun 10, 2020
I just wanted to share a few things that I’ve learnt real estate wise from my over 1 year of living in Nigeria.

1) Build as small a house as practical. Instead make it multi family and lease part of it out. A good architect can design a multi family residence that has privacy. Frankly I don’t see why I would need more than a 3 bedroom house now.

2) Build duplex and not a bungalow. Reason is security and breeze.

3) Location of your electric switching system is crucial. Man, you’ll interact with that fucker a whole lot.

4) Get a source of constant water. See #5

5) Fire is real. I’ve seen at least 5 fires in Ibadan where many structures burnt to the ground. In fact I’ve never seen a single structure that was saved. Fire fighting is on you. Yeah the FD will eventually arrive but will arrive to chaos, can’t come on scene cause they’re waiting for armed police, no water, runs out of water, etc

6) Your windows and design is important. You’ll be opening and closing numerous times. I have swing out windows and won’t be doing it again. Sliding windows from now on and with fixed nets outside.

7) Splurge on buying land in developed areas with good access roads. A good architect can help design privacy. I drive a 4Runner, one of the worlds toughest mid range SUVs and suspension and other stuff breaks. This month I’ve replaced a broken sway bar link. I’ve never replaced a broken sway bar link due to being snapped in two before. Many wheel bearings (a stiff rolling vehicle is being pushed down the road with a struggling engine and uses more fuel).

I will add to it as I remember.

For my “friends” (you know who yah’all are), this is not a bible. I write from my own experiences and yours might be different.

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:40am On Jun 10, 2020
Very Good Thread.

Following........

2 Likes

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by Yedebem: 6:35am On Jun 10, 2020
[s]
post=90502052:
Very Good Thread.

Following........
[/s]
Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by EgunMogaji2: 7:33am On Jun 10, 2020
cool Invest in solar. The investment is cheap (I’m writing for diasporans who enjoy good exchange rate). If not then you’ll spend heavily on fuel. I have solar plus two generators. A smaller one for watching tv, lights, fridge, etc and a bigger one for all of the above plus pumping machine and washing machine. You don’t want your gen on past 7pm or 8pm at most due to noise. I need to be keyed in on noise around me for safety. Your need may vary. But you need power to keep abreast of news on tv, charge cellphones, drones, laptops, etc. I spend more time at home so my needs are high.

9) If possible buy imported tiles for high traffic areas. The Nigeria tiles frankly are not it. They can’t compare to what we get at Home Depot/Lowes or the clearance stores. If you built small then your finishing cost will be less and you will be able to buy luxurious items. My next build will have all imported tiles.

10) Please forget the local welder doors. Also on doors the locking system is important. If you use local doors then get the best locks you can find. Nigeria is littered with cheap Chinese stuff, I’ve replaced at least 5 locks in one year before I wised up.

11) Artisans will tell you that they’ll clear up deficiencies at finishing stages. They’re lying. You can’t put lipstick on a pig.

12) Buy electric drill for your installers. They sell them here cheaply. Else they’ll use Stone Age method to create holes for you.

10 Likes

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by Olalekank(m): 9:38am On Jun 10, 2020
Thanks for sharing your experience sir

1 Like

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by EgunMogaji2: 9:58am On Jun 10, 2020
Olalekank:
Thanks for sharing your experience sir

You're welcome. Just trying to give back.

I was warned about building too big of a house but of course I knew better grin

Now I realize it. During harmattan just more places and stuff to keep clean.

2 Likes

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by mufutau55(m): 3:11pm On Jun 10, 2020
1,000,000% agreed.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by mank1234(m): 6:34pm On Jun 10, 2020
Very true.
The casement window part got me laughing. I can relate - mosquito will finish you.

Following this thread bumper to bumper.

2 Likes

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by mufutau55(m): 6:42pm On Jun 10, 2020
mank1234:
Very true.
The casement window part got me laughing. I can relate - mosquito will finish you.
Following this thread bumper to bumper.

Why? No mosquito net for the casement windows?
I have it in mine, not any different from the sliding windows, unless I am not understanding.

Hajji M.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by mank1234(m): 7:05pm On Jun 10, 2020
mufutau55:

Why? No mosquito net for the casement windows?
I have it in mine, not any different from the sliding windows, unless I am not understanding.

Hajji M.

In some areas, few seconds of opening the net to open or close window, some mosquito would have already found themselves indoor. Same way some follow you and enter as you open door. But with the sliding net and a fix net outside, opening and closing of the window doesn't open the net for them to enter.

2 Likes

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by mufutau55(m): 7:12pm On Jun 10, 2020
mank1234:

In some areas, few seconds of opening the net to open or close window, some mosquito would have already found themselves indoor. Same way some follow you and enter as you open door. But with the sliding net and a fix net outside, opening and closing of the window doesn't open the net for them to enter.

Got it now.. the net will be permanent outside, not for me.
I will chose casement any time... the mosquitoes will meet their waterloo inside. smiley Thanks.

Hajji M.

4 Likes

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by EgunMogaji2: 7:55pm On Jun 10, 2020
mank1234:

You got it.

One night like that around 3am it got cold so I reach out to pull the window close. As I reached out in the dark my stupid dog licked my hand. Boy I shat my pajamas grin

I also try to use as little as pesticides as I can since I’m not enjoying USA style healthcare anymore.

2 Likes

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by Charisdesigns: 7:58pm On Jun 10, 2020
Nice one Egunmogaji

However allow me to add this

* Consider Greatly the General arrangements of your kitchen, it can be a life saver in time of emergency, Gas should be preferablely placed away from the exit door.

*Escape route is key in any building.

*Think green, Don't just concrete stamp all your unbuilt space, leave a handful for mini garden.

9 Likes

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by Chikebrain: 8:20pm On Jun 10, 2020
EgunMogaji2:
cool Invest in solar. The investment is cheap (I’m writing for diasporans who enjoy good exchange rate). If not then you’ll spend heavily on fuel. I have solar plus two generators. A smaller one for watching tv, lights, fridge, etc and a bigger one for all of the above plus pumping machine and washing machine. You don’t want your gen on past 7pm or 8pm at most due to noise. I need to be keyed in on noise around me for safety. Your need may vary. But you need power to keep abreast of news on tv, charge cellphones, drones, laptops, etc. I spend more time at home so my needs are high.

Solar and two generators ??. Why not upgrade panels and batteries

3 Likes

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by kingreign(m): 8:20pm On Jun 10, 2020
Charisdesigns:
Nice
Are you a planner?
As in Urban and regional planner?
Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by Charisdesigns: 8:22pm On Jun 10, 2020
kingreign:

Are you a planner?
As in Urban and regional planner?
I am an Architect.
Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by kingreign(m): 8:25pm On Jun 10, 2020
Charisdesigns:

I am an Architect.
I asked based on your signature.
I'm a town planner by qualification but not practicing.
Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by EgunMogaji2: 8:27pm On Jun 10, 2020
Chikebrain:

Solar and two generators ??. Why not upgrade panels and batteries

An astute question.

The small gen was purchased for my gateman while I was still in the USA. When I arrived fully it couldn’t power everything I needed at once so I bought another bigger one.

I just started my solar conversion and will scale up gradually. Remember that I’m a retiree that’s living on pension grin

I’m starting a new build soon and that one will be 100% solar.

2 Likes

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by EgunMogaji2: 8:31pm On Jun 10, 2020
Charisdesigns:
Nice one Egunmogaji

However allow me to add this

* Consider Greatly the General arrangements of your kitchen, it can be a life saver in time of emergency, Gas should be preferablely placed away from the exit door.

*Escape route is key in any building.

*Think green, Don't just concrete stamp all your unbuilt space, leave a handful for mini garden.

Good points as mentioned.

My gas tank is outside in a temporary location. I intend to install a larger tank elsewhere on the property and plumb a line in.

I have at least 25 trees on my 100 X 120 feet lot.

2 Likes

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by uboma(m): 8:35pm On Jun 10, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

You got it.

One night like that around 3am it got cold so I reach out to pull the window close. As I reached out in the dark my stupid dog licked my hand. Boy I shat my pajamas grin

I also try to use as little as pesticides as I can since I’m not enjoying USA style healthcare anymore.

This got me laughing out so loud.

Dogs are always like that, their own way of showing love.....

3 Likes

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by uboma(m): 8:39pm On Jun 10, 2020
mufutau55:

Got it now.. the net will be permanent outside, not for me.
I will chose casement any time... the mosquitoes will meet their waterloo inside. smiley Thanks.

Hajji M.

Same here.

I prefer the swing out windows too.

The sliding windows, after some time, may need some maintenance work.

1 Like

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by EgunMogaji2: 8:40pm On Jun 10, 2020
uboma:

This got me laughing out so loud.

Dogs are always like that, their own way of showing love.....

My brother I was so damn scared. My first thoughts was okay a snake is about to take my hand shocked

2 Likes

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by EgunMogaji2: 8:41pm On Jun 10, 2020
uboma:

Same here.

I prefer the swing out windows too.

The sliding windows, after some time, may need some maintenance work.

In the 70s we had those windows with long handles built in. You can open and close without sticking your hands out. Or opening the nets.
Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by uboma(m): 8:44pm On Jun 10, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Good points as mentioned.

My gas tank is outside in a temporary location. I intend to install a larger tank elsewhere on the property and plumb a line in.

I have at least 25 trees on my 100 X 120 feet lot.

I like the part about the trees. What kind of trees do you have please?

2 Likes

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by uboma(m): 8:48pm On Jun 10, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

In the 70s we had those windows with long handles built in. You can open and close without sticking your hands out. Or opening the nets.

True, I remember them with the long handles...

I wonder why they got phased out in the modern designs.

2 Likes

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by EgunMogaji2: 9:15pm On Jun 10, 2020
uboma:

I like the part about the trees. What kind of trees do you have please?

Different palms, royal, king, apple, cashew, crepe myrtles (different colors), there’re some I don’t know the names. I gave my MaiGuard carte Blanche when I was still in the states.
Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by Jeff68: 10:38pm On Jun 10, 2020
Thank you very much for this tread, I started my building about two years ago and should complete next year. We are planning moving back in about 5 years, but it's going to be gradual. My biggest concern is safety, you mentioned security, can you speak a little bit more about that? Please details, your dog's and don't s. I come home about 3 times a year so its not like I don't come, at the same time it's not the same. And for those of us who have lived outside Nigeria for a while, it's a different experience living there. I will be making the same move in about 5 years and to be honest it concerning. Thanks for doing this! I will definitely be following!!

2 Likes

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by mufutau55(m): 11:02pm On Jun 10, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

You surely remembered o. Those good old days. smiley

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by mufutau55(m): 11:09pm On Jun 10, 2020
Jeff68:
Thank you very much for this tread, I started my building about two years ago and should complete next year. We are planning moving back in about 5 years, but it's going to be gradual. My biggest concern is safety, you mentioned security, can you speak a little bit more about that? Please details, your dog's and don't s. I come home about 3 times a year so its not like I don't come, at the same time it's not the same. And for those of us who have lived outside Nigeria for a while, it's a different experience living there. I will be making the same move in about 5 years and to be honest it concerning. Thanks for doing this! I will definitely be following!!

That is the only part that scares me... SECURITY.
I can handle everything else... but that above o.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by Jeff68: 12:12am On Jun 11, 2020
Good Evening Hajji,

If don't mind me asking, which state are you? I understand if you want to keep it private.

quote author=mufutau55 post=90534472]

You surely remembered o. Those good old days. smiley

Hajji M.[/quote]
Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by EgunMogaji2: 3:37am On Jun 11, 2020
Jeff68:

I’ll not sugarcoat this move, it’s the hardest thing I’ve done in my adult life. But also it’s been the most rewarding. It requires deep thinking and careful execution, but the reward is great. I’ve met many returnees who are doing extremely well but sadly have also met some who fled back because they underestimated the rigors of Nigeria.

In terms of security I just think that a duplex offers an additional layer of security. With a proper building design one can turn the staircase into a hardened box by having a door at the bottom and at the top. Also, to develop property in established neighborhoods instead of new site. But key for me is blending in. One returnee was waylaid as he waited for his gate to be opened.

Good luck to us all, nothing beats waking up in Ibadan every morning for me and eating ogi with akara cheesy

6 Likes

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by EgunMogaji2: 3:42am On Jun 11, 2020
mufutau55:

That is the only part that scares me... SECURITY.
I can handle everything else... but that above o.

Hajji M.

It’s real Sir and deserves a serious consideration.

We just do the best that we can and leave the rest to god.

I’m hopeful with this amotekun bs.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Apartment Sangotedo….. / Christal Villa Wayside Estate Epe……….. / 3 Full Plots Along Alfa Beach Road 4 SALE!!!!!!!!! @ 45m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.