Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,943 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:23 AM

PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria (3005 Views)

LASBCA Seals The Biggest Building In Bariga (Photos) / Check Out This 1925 Old Colonial Building In Port Harcourt / Fire Guts Building In Lagos After Woman Left Her Air Conditioner On. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by mufutau55(m): 4:23am On Jun 11, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

It’s real Sir and deserves a serious consideration.
We just do the best that we can and leave the rest to god.
I’m hopeful with this amotekun bs.

You are right.. But "leave the rest to God".
I may sound like an arteist, but there is God when all those people are dying. African mentality... that nah death.
I dont leave everything to God o, that GOD got too many things to attend to. smiley
Sorry jare..

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by uboma(m): 4:35am On Jun 11, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Different palms, royal, king, apple, cashew, crepe myrtles (different colors), there’re some I don’t know the names. I gave my MaiGuard carte Blanche when I was still in the states.

The crepe myrtles are beautiful. Is the Apple tree growing well, considering the weather we have in Nigeria (except in Plateau state)?

Good to hear that he made good use of the free rein extended to him at the time.
Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by EgunMogaji2: 4:41am On Jun 11, 2020
uboma:

The crepe myrtles are beautiful. Is the Apple tree growing well, considering the weather we have in Nigeria (except in Plateau state)?

Good to hear that he made good use of the free rein extended to him at the time.

Not as good as I would want but they’re not dead. On my next build I would first till all the planting area to remove all the building materials that artisans buried and then fertilize appropriately.

But we move. No time grin

2 Likes

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by EgunMogaji2: 4:43am On Jun 11, 2020
mufutau55:

You are right.. "leave the rest to God".
I may sound like an arteist, but there is God when all those people are dying. African mentality... that nah death.
I dont leave everything to God o, that GOD got too many things to attend to. smiley
Sorry jare..

Hajji M.

I understand Sir.

99% preparation and 1% to God.
Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by uboma(m): 4:44am On Jun 11, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Not as good as I would want but they’re not dead. On my next build I would first till all the planting area to remove all the building materials that artisans buried and then fertilize approximately.

But we move. No time grin

Good thinking.

Good morning Sir.

Do have a fine day ahead.

1 Like

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by mufutau55(m): 4:44am On Jun 11, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I understand Sir.
99% preparation and 1% to God.

I always enjoy your reasoning. Thank you Sir.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by Chikebrain: 6:52am On Jun 11, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

An astute question.

The small gen was purchased for my gateman while I was still in the USA. When I arrived fully it couldn’t power everything I needed at once so I bought another bigger one.

I just started my solar conversion and will scale up gradually. Remember that I’m a retiree that’s living on pension grin

I’m starting a new build soon and that one will be 100% solar.

Now I understand. Solar would really help you save cost.

Here, I use a 3.5KVA solar that takes I and my family through the day till about 10pm when I switch on the generator and allow it run to 12midnight or 1am so my batteries and electric fence batteries can charge.

So basically I use generator 2-3hrs daily and have light 24/7

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by Jeff68: 11:22am On Jun 11, 2020
Thanks!! other than security, which or what is the greatest concern, what are the other issues (real issues) that drive people back, like I know daily living can be a grind, but I am not coming to 9ja to work by His grace.

EgunMogaji2:

I’ll not sugarcoat this move, it’s the hardest thing I’ve done in my adult life. But also it’s been the most rewarding. It requires deep thinking and careful execution, but the reward is great. I’ve met many returnees who are doing extremely well but sadly have also met some who fled back because they underestimated the rigors of Nigeria.

In terms of security I just think that a duplex offers an additional layer of security. With a proper building design one can turn the staircase into a hardened box by having a door at the bottom and at the top. Also, to develop property in established neighborhoods instead of new site. But key for me is blending in. One returnee was waylaid as he waited for his gate to be opened.

Good luck to us all, nothing beats waking up in Ibadan every morning for me and eating ogi with akara cheesy
Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by EgunMogaji2: 3:22pm On Jun 11, 2020
Jeff68:
Thanks!! other than security, which or what is the greatest concern, what are the other issues (real issues) that drive people back, like I know daily living can be a grind, but I am not coming to 9ja to work by His grace.

1) One man from LA moved back after he had a stroke.

2) A woman moved back after all the retirement money was swindled trying to do politics.

3) Another man was robbed in his house, severely beaten.

I know all three personally and all have sworn never to set foot on Nigerian soil.

There are others but I cannot validate the stories.

But thankfully for every bad example are tens of good examples.

My banking relationship requires the bank manager to approve withdrawal over certain threshold. My account manager needs to make sure it makes sense. My actual physical home address is not known to both.

Security and healthcare are gravely important. I’m upgrading to two MaiGuards as an example.

2 Likes

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by Jeff68: 5:43pm On Jun 11, 2020
thanks! apart from security, lack of good medical care is my next issues as well, then family. Till now, my wife is still not a 100% onboard, we are not getting any younger and what we are use to here is not available in Africa. The banking advice, I will take care of that soonest! Thanks again. One thing for sure though, is I will not be getting involved in politics, its not my cup of tea.

EgunMogaji2:

1) One man from LA moved back after he had a stroke.

2) A woman moved back after all the retirement money was swindled trying to do politics.

3) Another man was robbed in his house, severely beaten.

I know all three personally and all have sworn never to set foot on Nigerian soil.

There are others but I cannot validate the stories.

But thankfully for every bad example are tens of good examples.

My banking relationship requires the bank manager to approve withdrawal over certain threshold. My account manager needs to make sure it makes sense. My actual physical home address is not known to both.

Security and healthcare are gravely important. I’m upgrading to two MaiGuards as an example.
Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by KolaShangOne(m): 7:13pm On Jun 11, 2020
Following with rapt attention.

I'm not in the diaspora, but as a builder, from this thread I should be able to know what people in the diaspora want.

Also, EgunMogaji's thread will be mad hilarious grin

2 Likes

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by Greenvaiper: 7:18pm On Jun 11, 2020
[s]:
Very Good Thread.

Following........[/s]

Dumbo, r u a diasporean? undecided

2 Likes

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by mufutau55(m): 7:26pm On Jun 11, 2020
KolaShangOne:

I'm not in the diaspora, but as a builder, from this thread I should be able to know what people in the diaspora want.

Why do you think I am here. I am not a diasporian either.
I am here for the hilarious comments too. smiley smiley

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by EgunMogaji2: 7:42pm On Jun 11, 2020
KolaShangOne:

Baba, they’re not here yet. I wonder what’s holding them cheesy

I think of you every Sunday actually. My childhood friend and I hang out across from cultural center every Sunday and I always try to identify that project that you did near there. He’s sick of hearing about KolaShangOne cheesy
Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by EgunMogaji2: 7:52pm On Jun 11, 2020
Jeff68:
thanks! apart from security, lack of good medical care is my next issues as well, then family. Till now, my wife is still not a 100% onboard, we are not getting any younger and what we are use to here is not available in Africa. The banking advice, I will take care of that soonest! Thanks again. One thing for sure though, is I will not be getting involved in politics, its not my cup of tea.

1) Medical. I’m having to convince my doctor that I actually need an annual physical exam. Baba doesn’t think it’s necessary unless I’m ill grin Oh also, I buy all my supplies. Needles, gloves, etc for the nurse.” grin I mean they have them but I can’t trust that system for hygiene.

2) Family. Easier said than done but based on feedback, just let madam dey for abroad. You personally will have an adjustment but now think having to be responsible for madams adjustment. It’ll all be your fault when NEPA unceremoniously takes light as she’s boiling meat in the kitchen or having a bath.

And people will bring their issues to you. But you gotta watch that budget. Nigeria is a cold hard place if you’re broke.

3 Likes

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by Jeff68: 7:55pm On Jun 11, 2020
You are too funny!!! grin grin grin

EgunMogaji2:

1) Medical. I’m having to convince my doctor that I actually need an annual physical exam. Baba doesn’t think it’s necessary unless I’m ill grin Oh also, I buy all my supplies. Needles, gloves, etc for the nurse.” grin I mean they have them but I can’t trust that system for hygiene.

2) Family. Easier said than done but based on feedback, just let madam dey for abroad. You personally will have an adjustment but now think having to be responsible for madams adjustment. It’ll all be your fault when NEPA unceremoniously takes light as she’s boiling meat in the kitchen or having a bath.

And people will bring their issues to you. But you gotta watch that budget. Nigeria is a cold hard place if you’re broke.
Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by KolaShangOne(m): 8:28pm On Jun 11, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Baba, they’re not here yet. I wonder what’s holding them cheesy

I think of you every Sunday actually. My childhood friend and I hang out across from cultural center every Sunday and I always try to identify that project that you did near there. He’s sick of hearing about KolaShangOne cheesy

You wouldn't miss it. It is one of the few modern builds in Mokola. It's on Uncle Joe street and the name is SilverStone.

1 Like

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by mufutau55(m): 2:33am On Jun 12, 2020
KolaShangOne:

You wouldn't miss it. It is one of the few modern builds in Mokola. It's on Uncle Joe street and the name is SilverStone.

I am surprised you guys haven't jammed up yet.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by EgunMogaji2: 7:30am On Jun 12, 2020
mufutau55:

Hajji M.

Don’t mind Oga Kola. He’s still hiding The Engineer from us cheesy
Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by uboma(m): 9:14am On Jun 12, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

1) Medical. I’m having to convince my doctor that I actually need an annual physical exam. Baba doesn’t think it’s necessary unless I’m ill
grin Oh also, I buy all my supplies. Needles, gloves, etc for the nurse.” grin I mean they have them but I can’t trust that system for hygiene.

I am sad to hear that a medical doctor is frowning at your request to have annual medical examinations. According to him, it is only when you are ill that it is necessary.... This is unacceptable. Our healthcare system in Nigeria needs a complete overhaul.

2 Likes

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by mufutau55(m): 1:51pm On Jun 12, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Don’t mind Oga Kola. He’s still hiding The Engineer from us cheesy

Yes o. Oga Kola, we want that Engineer o. Remember?

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by Focusmind: 2:31pm On Jun 12, 2020
I so much love sliding windows. I don't know why people don't like it.

If not for my wife's insistence on casement, I would have used sliding all through.

I am changing the masters bedroom with ultra large sliding windows, from one end of pillar to the other.
4000mmx2000m
Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by mufutau55(m): 2:35pm On Jun 12, 2020
Focusmind:

If not for my wife's insistence on casement, I would have used sliding all through.

I am changing the masters bedroom with ultra large sliding windows, from one end of pillar to the other.
4000mmx2000m

That will be a big window... more air coming inside.
Good idea.

Hajji M.
Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by Focusmind: 2:47pm On Jun 12, 2020
mufutau55:

That will be a big window... more air coming inside.
Good idea.

Hajji M.

You can say that again. Three tracks. Pull it and see massive air in flow on both sides. And it is even cheaper than casement.

Overseas, they mostly use sliding and not casement we use here. Some of their slidings are the ones you slide from down and move it up.
Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by mufutau55(m): 3:01pm On Jun 12, 2020
Focusmind:

You can say that again. Three tracks. Pull it and see massive air in flow on both sides. And it is even cheaper than casement.

Overseas, they mostly use sliding and not casement we use here. Some of their slidings are the ones you slide from down and move it up.

If the quality of sliding windows they use here in USA is the same as Naija, I would have gone for that too.
I have sliding windows here but you need to see the quality and double even triple glass layers on them for better insulation. Thick aluminium and high quality glass.

Note: Please post the pics when completed. And dont settle for less quality for a massive window like that.

Hajji M.
Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by Focusmind: 4:07pm On Jun 12, 2020
mufutau55:

If the quality of sliding windows they use here in USA is the same as Naija, I would have gone for that too.
I have sliding windows here but you need to see the quality and double even triple glass layers on them for better insulation. Thick aluminium and high quality glass.

Note: Please post the pics when completed. And dont settle for less quality for a massive window like that.

Hajji M.

Sure, I will
Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by EgunMogaji2: 5:24pm On Jun 12, 2020
Focusmind:

4000mmx2000m

Most folks don’t like it because size for size it flows less air than the casements. But with foresight one can adjust for it easily.

So if a casement is 4x4 it will enjoy the full opening but a slider will need to be 8 feet for the same flow. So two sliding windows of 4x4 will give the same.

Cost one might worry but this is why we should build small.

1 Like

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by Jeff68: 5:47pm On Jun 12, 2020
From my observation and what people on ground tell me, medical in 9ja is a complete joke! I once went to 9ja in March and met this wonderful YOUNG female tailor in obalande that made some clothes for my wife and kids, I mean, she was good!! I went back in Sept of the same year, she was dead!!! She was so vibrant when I first met her! I asked how she died, they said she just has a minor illness and she just died!! just like that!! I couldn't believe it, she couldn't have been 30 year old!!!

Egunmogaji2 and Hajji M grin that name!!
Is electric fence really helpful? I will like to know before I invest in it.

Hajji, I am in MD, I will love to meet you someday.

thanks

uboma:

I am sad to hear that a medical doctor is frowning at your request to have annual medical examinations. According to him, it is only when you are ill that it is necessary.... This is unacceptable. Our healthcare system in Nigeria needs a complete overhaul.
Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by Focusmind: 6:06pm On Jun 12, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Most folks don’t like it because size for size it flows less air than the casements. But with foresight one can adjust for it easily.

So if a casement is 4x4 it will enjoy the full opening but a slider will need to be 8 feet for the same flow. So two sliding windows of 4x4 will give the same.

Cost one might worry but this is why we should build small.

That was the strategy I used. The openings of my sliding is bigger than the normal 4x4 casement.

I also like your idea of the smaller the house the better. My uncle built a massive 8 room duplex at the peak of his career in mid 90s.

The children are all grown and are living on their own. Maintaining that house now is a big problem.

When one talks in the main living room downstairs, it echoes because of size with practically nobody living there except my uncle, his wife and a maid.

I am a core minimalist and not a fan of big mansion. I had to remodelled my house to create a mini 2 bedroom duplex for rent from the original main building.

There is no need occupying a massive house when the children are all gone to their respective houses and destinations

3 Likes

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by EgunMogaji2: 6:45pm On Jun 12, 2020
Jeff68:
From my observation and what people on ground tell me, medical in 9ja is a complete joke! I once went to 9ja in March and met this wonderful YOUNG female tailor in obalande that made some clothes for my wife and kids, I mean, she was good!! I went back in Sept of the same year, she was dead!!! She was so vibrant when I first met her! I asked how she died, they said she just has a minor illness and she just died!! just like that!! I couldn't believe it, she couldn't have been 30 year old!!!

thanks

The way people die here is shocking. I try not to focus on it too much.

I resisted an electric fence at my current place but will be putting it in at my next project.

It’s very effective. Mine will be solar powered.

There’s a picture of an unlucky robber that off’ed himself on an electric fence.

https://www.nairaland.com/3794712/barbed-wire-electrocutes-kogi-robber#56452006

1 Like

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by mufutau55(m): 10:23pm On Jun 12, 2020
Jeff68:

thanks

I have heard electric fence as part of the security is not bad. Anything that added protection is not bad. But I dont have any yet.
I am in NYC for many decades, so sometimes we may jam somewhere.
***What I will not do is travel to West Coast to meet EgunMogaji, I will settle for meeting him at any amala joint in Ibadan though.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: PSA: Diasporans Building In Nigeria by KolaShangOne(m): 5:19pm On Jun 13, 2020
mufutau55:

Hajji M.

I've not been back in Ibadan for a while. Mostly in Lagos these days.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Urgently Need A Miniflat In The Ikeja Or Surulere Areas. / Architects OR Structural Engineers OR Baba Bricklayer? / WALL & FLOOR TILES FOR KITCHEN AND BATHROOM

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.