Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,743 members, 7,827,742 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:07 PM

A Port In The Southeast - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Port In The Southeast (1699 Views)

Lagos To Build New Port In Badagry / Ikpeazu Hints On Dry Port In Abia, States Reason For Dropping Airport Project / When I Was Working In The Southeast I Saw What The Igbo Could Do - Akinwumi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Port In The Southeast by bigpriik: 11:53pm On Jun 10, 2020
I know haters will flood this thread but I dont care.southeast deserves a seaport because her inhabitants are natural traders.geographically we know Igboland is not landlocked it is only landlocked politically but I will not delve into that now to avoid unnecessary arguments.

To build a seaport in the East we have two options.

1) dredge the River niger ( onitsha )

2)dredge the River imo (aba)

I will prefer the latter because it is going to be cheaper and will not affect the geography of the area .River imo is very close the Atlantic ocean so if the River can be dredged down to the Atlantic ships can pass their to igboland.this will open the southeast to international trade cities like Aba will benefit greatly

But as usual government knows this but will never do it because of hatred .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Port In The Southeast by Sammy07: 11:57pm On Jun 10, 2020
Keyword: River
If you know, you know.

11 Likes

Re: A Port In The Southeast by Mraphel: 11:58pm On Jun 10, 2020
bigpriik:
I know haters will flood this thread but I dont care.southeast deserves a seaport because her inhabitants are natural traders.geographically we know Igboland is not landlocked it is only landlocked politically but I will not delve into that now to avoid unnecessary arguments.

I will prefer the latter because it is going to be cheaper and will not affect the geography of the area .River imo is very close the Atlantic ocean so if the River can be dredged down to the Atlantic ships can pass their to igboland.this will open the southeast to international trade cities like Aba will benefit greatly

Seaport without sea? Ur region is landlocked..

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Port In The Southeast by bigpriik: 11:59pm On Jun 10, 2020
Mraphel:

Read well guy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Port In The Southeast by Mraphel: 12:02am On Jun 11, 2020
Sammy07:
Keyword: River
If you know, you know.
IPod think is oceaniger

R. Niger is not dredgeable to become a seaport

7 Likes

Re: A Port In The Southeast by JonDon12: 1:06am On Jun 11, 2020
Port Harcourt is and has always been Igbo. It's only after the biafran war that the ikwerre started trying to seperate from the Igbo and I'm sure if u do a census today is that the Ibos might still have more numbers.

7 Likes

Re: A Port In The Southeast by Freestainworld(m): 1:16am On Jun 11, 2020
some people will turn this thread into regional war now.

1 Like

Re: A Port In The Southeast by Nobody: 1:51am On Jun 11, 2020
Why say haters? Just say Yorubaas. They are the ones against ports and major airports in Eastern region.

12 Likes

Re: A Port In The Southeast by teresades: 2:19am On Jun 11, 2020
Mraphel:

IPod think is oceaniger

R. Niger is not dredgeable to become a seaport

What's a seaport? What's a riverport?
Re: A Port In The Southeast by Nobody: 3:21am On Jun 11, 2020
Mraphel:

I dare you to name which Nigerian port today is directly at sea

Name one that's not on a river from the Lagos port , to port Harcourt port ( on a river smaller than imo river even ) to warri port to onne port and the Calabar port ...which of these sits directly at sea . Answer is none

If port Harcourt can get a sea port then abia can get a port because it's closer to the ocean than port Harcourt

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Port In The Southeast by Mraphel: 5:31am On Jun 11, 2020
Igbochief001:

I dare you to name which Nigerian port today is directly at sea

Name one that's not on a river from the Lagos port , to port Harcourt port ( on a river smaller than imo river even ) to warri port to onne port and the Calabar port ...which of these sits directly at sea . Answer is none

If port Harcourt can get a sea port then abia can get a port because it's closer to the ocean than port Harcourt

Can u please name the rivers in Lagos?

I seized to reply u again...henceforth....u r an infant on the topic

4 Likes

Re: A Port In The Southeast by Mraphel: 5:33am On Jun 11, 2020
JonDon12:
Port Harcourt is and has always been Igbo. It's only after the biafran war that the ikwerre started trying to seperate from the Igbo and I'm sure if u do a census today is that the Ibos might still have more numbers.
U mean ikwerres?
Re: A Port In The Southeast by Nobody: 6:19am On Jun 11, 2020

1 Like

Re: A Port In The Southeast by JonDon12: 7:04am On Jun 11, 2020
B3ACHFRONT:
I would like Onitsha to have a seaport because I like Onitsha, but it's waste of funds and too much money to continually dredge river ports which is what Nigeria mostly has,though Lagos less so , and I think that's why even the Calabar deep seaport was conceived .
The only way to have a deep port at Onitsha would be to construct a wide and deep river channel which runs from the ocean ,and It would disrupt the Eco system and cost at least $50 billion dollars. Nigeria's mono oil economy generates only $45 billion dollars per year . The Constructed river would never need dredging.
On another note, I think the most important thing for Nigeria than seaport is industrialization for domestic sustenance and less imports, and then think of export later because the world market is already saturated ,even if all the proposed deep seaports suddenly appear at this moment it would not make a difference . Eventually there'll be deep seaports at Calabar ,Aka ibom,Onitsha Lagos etc.. but for now ...

Export Gini ? What does Nigeria have to export. We can't even refine ordinary oil, we talking about export.

1 Like

Re: A Port In The Southeast by Nobody: 7:18am On Jun 11, 2020
-

2 Likes

Re: A Port In The Southeast by Nobody: 7:38am On Jun 11, 2020
Mraphel:

Is the Lagos port situated at sea ? ...it's situated along the Lagos lagoon ...lol lagoon is worse that Rivers for sea ports even

All Nigerian ports are dredged to the sea. Why can't south Eastern rivrs be dredged

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Port In The Southeast by Nobody: 7:40am On Jun 11, 2020
Nigeria as of today have zero sea port ...all of them are either river ports or lagoon ports none is directly on the sea

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Port In The Southeast by Commonsense99: 8:35am On Jun 11, 2020
bigpriik:

Dude let us get our Biafra first, you guys should stop buying into the yoruba man's idea of using this topic as an unnecessary distraction.

Meanwhile there is a place called Azumini in Ukwa East, there is a place called Obuaku.. Just pay a visit to those places to educate your self.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Port In The Southeast by Caseless: 9:22am On Jun 11, 2020
JonDon12:
Biafran soldiers killed the minorities of the SS during the war, hence the hatred for the igbo.
Re: A Port In The Southeast by holocron: 10:07am On Jun 11, 2020
Mraphel:

Apapa port is on the PortoNovo creek
Re: A Port In The Southeast by Nobody: 10:31am On Jun 11, 2020
Igbochief001:
Nigeria as of today have zero sea port ...all of them are either river ports or lagoon ports none is directly on the sea

https://www.nairaland.com/4426402/president-buhari-meets-developers-lekki
Re: A Port In The Southeast by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jun 11, 2020
timekeeper1:

https://www.nairaland.com/4426402/president-buhari-meets-developers-lekki
Untill it's start functioning Nigeria have zero see port

1 Like

Re: A Port In The Southeast by Deebwebb: 3:57pm On Jun 11, 2020
We don't need port, we want Biafra,the port in my state is useless so no need for port it doesn't change anything,politics will still be involved.. let's clamour for Biafra...
BTW every port in Nigeria was dredged to the sea,so ewedus should stop acting ignorant as usual..

1 Like

Re: A Port In The Southeast by LabDNA: 4:06pm On Jun 11, 2020
kovic20:
Why say haters? Just say Yorubaas. They are the ones against ports and major airports in Eastern region.

These yoruba creatures are ready to starve and die than see the Eastern ports work.

The Navy in the East is called 'Eastern naval command' but when you say 'Eastern ports' yorubas cry to high heavens. grin

Can you have an Easten navy without an Eastern boarder with seas and Oceans? grin

I dey laugh yoruba muslim almajiris, their stomaches will dry up when all Igbo and Igboid regions leave the country for good. grin

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Port In The Southeast by Kinematics: 4:11pm On Jun 11, 2020
bigpriik:

When did a RIVER become a SEA?

2 Likes

Re: A Port In The Southeast by Kinematics: 4:12pm On Jun 11, 2020
JonDon12:
[s]Port Harcourt is and has always been Igbo. It's only after the biafran war that the ikwerre started trying to seperate from the Igbo and I'm sure if u do a census today is that the Ibos might still have more numbers.[/s]

Shameless Land grabber. Yes if we conduct a census today in Phalga, Obio-Akpor, Eleme and to an extend Oyigbo, Ibos will be/are more because all your blodas and sisters from your potopoto republic are migrating to Rivers on daily basis to seek for greener pastures.

Note that this is one of the many reasons we will never join your Biafra. Not because we dont want your Biafra to materialise, but we are not part of it. Fight your struggle and know your boundary. Remember your land grabbing attitude will only cause what happened in 1970 to repeat itself.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Port In The Southeast by Kinematics: 4:17pm On Jun 11, 2020
B3ACHFRONT:
That's my point . it's false assumption that Awa ibom,Calabar,Lagos or Onitsha will be developed and industrialized once there's seaport in those places. You don't put the cart before the horse . You do not need seaport to build a basic organized society . Lagos port is saturated due to excessive import which Nigeria should aspire to minimize.
Though important, I am not convinced that a seaport is the most critical infrastructure at this time ,though it's reasonable to lay the foundations and work slowly towards it . Also, a state or city does not need airline to be considered developed . California or Los Angeles has no airline, Florida or Miami has no Airline,Ontario or Toronto has no Airline ,but are all developed . Most Nigerian towns do not need overpasses yet they are everywhere . I just think the Nigerian government have wrong priorities.

Give this man 10 gbozas!

Re: A Port In The Southeast by Nobody: 11:02pm On Jun 11, 2020
LabDNA:

These yoruba creature are ready to starve and die than see the Eastern ports work.

The Navy in the East is called 'Eastern naval command' but when you say 'Eastern ports' yorubas cry to high heavens. grin

Can you have an Easten navy without an Eastern boarder with seas and Oceans? grin

I dey laugh yoruba muslim almajiris, their stomaches will dry up when all Igbo and Igboid regions leave the country for good. grin

When Biafra is actualized, don't be surprised if they turn suicide bombers to destroy Biafra out envy. They can do it because this level of envy, I have never seen before in my life.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland Is Trending On Twitter -pics / I'm Contesting for the post of Councillor / Youth Democratic Party Is Dead On Arrival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.