Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,671 members, 7,955,454 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:18 AM

Xiaomi Phones Are Not Worth It - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Xiaomi Phones Are Not Worth It (3159 Views)

Blackberry Phones Are Coming Back In 2021, With 5G And Physical Keyboard / Between Infinix And Xiaomi Phones, Which One Is Better / Xiaomi Phones, Other Products Set To Launch In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Xiaomi Phones Are Not Worth It by IdeeEsperanza(m): 7:00pm On Jun 13, 2020
I won't comment until my Redmi Note 8's "plastic" power button breaks and/or its camera glass breaks. grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Phones Are Not Worth It by mikeycharles(m): 7:01pm On Jun 13, 2020
KrazyDave16:

@bolded availability and marketing strategy is what these brands have over Nigeria. There's no place you go in Nigeria you don't see it hear their ads. Though in all honesty the strength they put in their ads should be directed to make better devices.
I made a post about Tecno devices only selling because of availability and ease of accessibility but that thread got deleted faster than the spread of COVID-19.
Re: Xiaomi Phones Are Not Worth It by edoairways: 7:06pm On Jun 13, 2020
mikeycharles:
Yeah they're actually good and I never suggested Tecno/Infinix.
I have reached that point where I can only enjoy devices from reputable brands.
Like which?
Re: Xiaomi Phones Are Not Worth It by RealEzee(m): 7:07pm On Jun 13, 2020
mikeycharles:
So I was privileged to use the Redmi Note 7 over a long period of time which was around the span of a year.

Although I've always loved MIUI and all of its customizations but it was definitely a first time having a feel of their own device.

The phone was made out of glass on the front and the back but with a plastic case. Very nice feel and premium design with sharp cutting edges but also felt "plasticky". This is beginning to sound like a review which I'm not interested in doing so let's cut the chase here.

The bottom line is their devices are good from my experience and usage especially considering what we already have here in the country, yes I'm talking about Infinix and Tecno.

I believe the level of customizations and work Xiaomi puts in their devices cannot be compared to anything Transission can offer and trust me when I say this that most of their devices are nothing but palatable trash. Still on this, Xiaomi Phones are not the best or even to considered as saviours in the smartphone world but when you factor in the prices and craftsmanship of these phones you are left with no other option but to consider them worthy.

There is no perfect phone and most Xiaomi Phones are budget devices that offer some flagship functions.

Having used devices such as the Infinix hot 8 and it's lite version I've come to a conclusion that when it comes to UI, ram management and overall feel; Xiaomi exceeds by a large margin.

I recently decided to do away with my Redmi Note 7 after the camera glass broke and images got blurry from the damage and also the power button broke cause it's made out of cheap plastic.

My advice is this, if you're sourcing for premium features and peace of mind, do not consider budget devices especially from brands like Xiaomi, umidigi, oppo and the rest of them.

But my dilemma will always be why would Nigerians take out their hard-earned money and pay for over priced phones which continue to offer mediocre specifications and are way worse than anything Xiaomi could offer.
which phone will you suggest at the budget segment?
Re: Xiaomi Phones Are Not Worth It by Nellsworld(m): 7:07pm On Jun 13, 2020
mikeycharles:
Thank you but the truth is some devices are not reliable and it's really not about manhandling, when you see and use inferior and superior you'll know.
If u said those brands aren't reliable, they wouldn't be the 4th, 5th in the world, so wat do u call Samsung that sells gorilla glass 3 and a plastic back and with a stupid processor called Exynos for 60k and above as a budget phone or a certain brands that put a 720p, a glass with no protection with a plastic back and a low end processor and slap 70k and above

6 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Phones Are Not Worth It by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jun 13, 2020
mikeycharles:
So I was privileged to use the Redmi Note 7 over a long period of time which was around the span of a year.

Although I've always loved MIUI and all of its customizations but it was definitely a first time having a feel of their own device.

The phone was made out of glass on the front and the back but with a plastic case. Very nice feel and premium design with sharp cutting edges but also felt "plasticky". This is beginning to sound like a review which I'm not interested in doing so let's cut the chase here.

The bottom line is their devices are good from my experience and usage especially considering what we already have here in the country, yes I'm talking about Infinix and Tecno.

I believe the level of customizations and work Xiaomi puts in their devices cannot be compared to anything Transission can offer and trust me when I say this that most of their devices are nothing but palatable trash. Still on this, Xiaomi Phones are not the best or even to considered as saviours in the smartphone world but when you factor in the prices and craftsmanship of these phones you are left with no other option but to consider them worthy.

There is no perfect phone and most Xiaomi Phones are budget devices that offer some flagship functions.

Having used devices such as the Infinix hot 8 and it's lite version I've come to a conclusion that when it comes to UI, ram management and overall feel; Xiaomi exceeds by a large margin.

I recently decided to do away with my Redmi Note 7 after the camera glass broke and images got blurry from the damage and also the power button broke cause it's made out of cheap plastic.

My advice is this, if you're sourcing for premium features and peace of mind, do not consider budget devices especially from brands like Xiaomi, umidigi, oppo and the rest of them.

But my dilemma will always be why would Nigerians take out their hard-earned money and pay for over priced phones which continue to offer mediocre specifications and are way worse than anything Xiaomi could offer.

There is no perfect phone for budget. U buy what u can afford. Compare the price and features with the competition and make ur choice. If u want a perfect phone then u gonna have to spend big. I think xiaomi have better options than tecno and infinix when u compare the class of phones and prices. U want something better than redmi, they have the Mi series. If that one is too expensive they have k20 pro. U want a gaming phone, they have the black shark. The options are many depending on what u want and ur pocket. This is where Transsion is lacking. U cannot just pick a mid range xiaomi phone and expect it to function like a flagship.

9 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Phones Are Not Worth It by KrazyDave16(m): 7:14pm On Jun 13, 2020
mikeycharles:
I made a post about Tecno devices only selling because of availability and ease of accessibility but that thread got deleted faster than the spread of COVID-19.
But that's..... Obviously the truth or one of it that is
Re: Xiaomi Phones Are Not Worth It by Benwallt(m): 7:34pm On Jun 13, 2020
What exactly was his problem self. No clear definition of his displeasure. He even ended up polishing the phone for prospective buyer

3 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Phones Are Not Worth It by Sam2310(m): 10:00pm On Jun 13, 2020
mikeycharles:
That was a mistake on my part but is there anything else you can come up with
since nobody want tell u truth, let me help you

3 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Phones Are Not Worth It by oxygenlove(m): 10:15pm On Jun 13, 2020
mikeycharles:
Thank you but the truth is some devices are not reliable and it's really not about manhandling, when you see and use inferior and superior you'll know.
Brozz.. abeg.. leave tori... recommend a budget device for me that is reliable.....
Re: Xiaomi Phones Are Not Worth It by IanSholex(m): 10:32pm On Jun 13, 2020
How durable a smartphone is depends on the material viz a viz the user of the phone him/herself. Though i personally don't have RN7 but i have a junior brother using the phone for more than a year without any problem and I'm sure a lot of users using the same phone don't have this dilemma you faced. The phone is called a budget phone for a reason but if you think it's not reliable why don't you check other brands within the same price range you feel are reliable, check the material used. Lemme tell you what you will find, most didn't use GG5 back and front, most of galaxy A series from a10 to a70 used plastic back and plastic frame and again from a50 upward is more costly more than the RN7 with inferior protection. If you don't handle your phone with care even if it's made with GG6 i can assure you in no time you will spend money in repairing the screen and any other minor issues you can think of.

3 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Phones Are Not Worth It by pek(m): 11:26pm On Jun 13, 2020
Some threads are just trash.
Re: Xiaomi Phones Are Not Worth It by skywalker240(m): 5:53am On Jun 14, 2020
chibike69:

Mumu boy

Oya tell me budget phone wey I fit buy, wey dey better than xiaomi
Bro, it's too early for the insults na don't you think?

Just advice him or show him why he is wrong to have said that.. lest all these people start calling us marketers
Re: Xiaomi Phones Are Not Worth It by skywalker240(m): 6:05am On Jun 14, 2020
You just don't have to expect flagship on budget devices, there's a reason why it's called budget device, truth be told xiaomi, Oppo, Huawei, umidigi makes some of the best budget devices with premium feel TBH

This is where Transsion will always fail and truth be told Samsung A series are wack take it from me, except maybe for the A71 that the common man would find it hard to afford. Mind you it's a budget device.

4 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Phones Are Not Worth It by edoairways: 10:06am On Jun 14, 2020
mikeycharles:
The thread got deleted.?
Re: Xiaomi Phones Are Not Worth It by ZesusHVWritter(m): 11:10am On Jun 14, 2020
mikeycharles:

I am going to assume I am the only one that spotted this discrepancy.
The plain truth here is, you are not disappointed by xiaomi or its product. You are misinformed.

Let me attempt to help quench that rising tension of confusion.

Wanting a premium feature from a midrange is a wrong decision and often leaves the search wanting more than available.
It's a misinformation on your part if you desire a premium feel but chooses a midrange path.

Now, the reason why these brands continue to be top on my suggestion list for me/potential smartphone buyers is this.
They offer one or two flagship features for their low-midrange device.
I am talking of Xiaomi, Realme, Huawei, Oppo and lenovo.

Take for instance the redmi 9 a lowend device for its class.
Comes with FHD, type c, and NFC.
These features are only prominent on flagship devices, getting it in a lowend smartphone is nothing short of amazing.
Does this makes the redmi 9 a flaship device?
Of course not, you would have to be insane to think it does.
A flagship, midrange and Lowend devices are usually categorised by their chipsets and build quality, before camera and battery.

A flagship device for 2020 is expected to have the snapdragon 865 chipset and at least a front and back glass with corning gorillas 5 protection sided by aluminium frame.

Any device with lower than these, is just a flagship wannabe midrange/lowend device.

This above illustration up there, is why certain segment of the technologically inclined individuals on nairaland have taken their unpaid knowledge and keen interest in educating anyone who is hungry for knowledge on what an actual smartphone should have for its respective price and category.

Take for instance the Tecno camon 15 premier priced at 115k.
Considering the specification and build quality, that is a midrange wannabe lowend device. It shouldn't cost more than 30-45k.

Switch your attention to the infinix note 7.
That is also a midrange wannabe be lowend device.
It shouldn't be priced above the 45k mark either. Yet it cost around 80k.

You my friend wasn't disappointed by what you got in the redmi note 7, you were misinformed and for this I apologise on behalf of the source you got misled by.
Stick around the phone section more, and soon you will have the knowledge you need when choosing or recommending a smartphone.

8 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Phones Are Not Worth It by Liposure: 1:51pm On Jun 14, 2020
Nellsworld:

All brands does that as long as it is a budget phones, they can release 4 to 5 phones a year, and xiaomi is reliable cos 3 of my neighbors are using them(note 8pro, Mi 9t) and till today they are still solid, a phone can last depending who handle the phone even tecno or infinix, majority of people that have phone issues especially battery issues or screen burn in or ghost screen etc is cause by them not handling their phones well, even if u give them S20, they will still come bck to complain, if someone wants a premium phone, the person should up his or her cash and get the one plus 8 or 7t or MI 10 or MI 10 pro or go for the galaxy S10 series or note 10 series or the S20 series, u can't buy a budget phones and be expecting the phone to give u want a high end phone will give
if i want 2 buy an entry fone which should i go 4
Re: Xiaomi Phones Are Not Worth It by Nellsworld(m): 2:21pm On Jun 14, 2020
Liposure:
if i want 2 buy an entry fone which should i go 4
It will depend on ur budget
Re: Xiaomi Phones Are Not Worth It by Liposure: 2:36pm On Jun 14, 2020
Nellsworld:
It will depend on ur budget
15-20k
Re: Xiaomi Phones Are Not Worth It by Nellsworld(m): 3:54pm On Jun 14, 2020
Liposure:
15-20k
For new, nokia 2 or itel
Re: Xiaomi Phones Are Not Worth It by Liposure: 3:58pm On Jun 14, 2020
Nellsworld:
For new, nokia 2 or itel
tanks
Re: Xiaomi Phones Are Not Worth It by Nellsworld(m): 4:07pm On Jun 14, 2020
Liposure:
tanks
U welcome
Re: Xiaomi Phones Are Not Worth It by Nellsworld(m): 4:07pm On Jun 14, 2020
Liposure:
tanks
U can try olla, or cubot, check jumia

1 Like

Re: Xiaomi Phones Are Not Worth It by ZesusHVWritter(m): 4:41pm On Jun 14, 2020
Liposure:
15-20k
Before coronavirus, straight no doubt. Galaxy A2 core. It was sold for 20.2k, now its 32.4k.
If you want a lowend phone this time, that is the only device I would advise you to buy. Any other device is a gamble, its never advisable to gamble with money you can't easily replace.
Re: Xiaomi Phones Are Not Worth It by Michealvegas: 11:02pm On Jun 20, 2020
Nellsworld:

Apart frm Xiaomi, There are brands like Huawei, Oppo, Realme, Nokia
the fact that you mentioned Nokia means you don't know what you are talking about,realme is a budget phone too,why don't you recommend Gionee too cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Have An Option Of Pick One Of These Phone. Kindly Help Me Out / Iphone Or Samsung? / This Rubbish Behavior On The Phone Section Should End.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.