Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,766 members, 7,813,542 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:40 PM

Do Banks Have The Right To Block/sieze Customer's Account/funds? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Do Banks Have The Right To Block/sieze Customer's Account/funds? (982 Views)

I Finally Got My Own Share Of What Nigerian Banks Have To Offer Persons With Dis / Do Banks Still Do Bridge Loans? / Union Bank Staffer Steals N8.7m From Customer’s Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Banks Have The Right To Block/sieze Customer's Account/funds? by chibatov(m): 8:48pm On Jun 13, 2020
Please I really need to know what is going on.
My father is sick and needs money to undergo tests and a minor surgery. So I sent my sister who banks with UBA some money during this week to assist them with the hospital bills. I sent about 126k the first day and later sent 200k and 193k respectively the next day. Prior to sending the money, I asked her if her account could hold the money and if it was a student account so that I will send the money in batches of 50k and she said YES it could hold the money but couldn't tell if it was a student account or not. All she knew was that she opened the account with her voter's card and the normal NEPA utility bill. Everything seemed fine after sending the money. She received alerts and checked her balance and the money was sitting there comfortably. So on Friday she tried withdrawing some of the money at a UBA bank ATM but the ATM returned a message that read WITHDRAWAL FAILED she tried several times but it was still returning the same message. So she tried withdrawing a very little amount from a POS but the POS declined her card with a message that Read RESERVED FOR CLIENT SPECIFIC USE. As at now she can't check her balance, make transfers, withdraw or even buy airtime from the account. I don't know if the account can still take in money though. I asked around and was told that the account may have been blocked or frozen because the money that got into it was quite large. She is going there on Monday to make enquires to know why the account was blocked but what I want to know now is if banks have that right. Because I know of a friend who in December last year received about 10 million naira into his GTB account and the account was frozen. Till today he has been going to the bank and they're still on the matter. I don't have much details from my friends case but from what he told me he said the manager/bank says the transaction is fraudulent or proceeds of fraud. That's what they've been settling till now. So what I want to know is that if my sister's account has been blocked or frozen, what are the steps to take to make sure the account is unblocked/unfrozen by Monday because they need the money urgently for my dad's hospital bills. Comments will be appreciated and FP will be even more appreciated. I don't know the name of the mods here but you guys should please help me mention them. Thank you very much.

cc lalasticlala
Re: Do Banks Have The Right To Block/sieze Customer's Account/funds? by Galactico4ever(m): 9:05pm On Jun 13, 2020
I had a similar case with UBA in my year 1.I opened an account @ the school branch and i was receiving and withdrawing between 30-100k for about 2 years.One day,a friend from abroad transferred some dollars totalling about 600K to the account.I went to the ATM to withdraw but transaction was declined.To cut it short,the customer service told me I opened a freedom savings account which is authorized to receive not more than 300k.I had to update my account to a general savings account with my Voter's card and utility bil b4 i finally withdrew the money.You can ask your sister to tag them on twitter or send a direct message.I also think their customer service is online via their website http://ubagroup.com Their twitter handle is @ubacares or @ubagroup .Don't worry,i think the problem can be fixed on monday if she goes early to the bank with the documents

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Banks Have The Right To Block/sieze Customer's Account/funds? by Missyajoke(f): 9:20pm On Jun 13, 2020
chibatov:
Please I really need to know what is going on.
My father is sick and needs money to undergo tests and a minor surgery. So I sent my sister who banks with UBA some money during this week to assist them with the hospital bills. I sent about 126k the first day and later sent 200k and 193k respectively the next day. Prior to sending the money, I asked her if her account could hold the money and if it was a student account so that I will send the money in batches of 50k and she said YES it could hold the money but couldn't tell if it was a student account or not. All she knew was that she opened the account with her voter's card and the normal NEPA utility bill. Everything seemed fine after sending the money. She received alerts and checked her balance and the money was sitting there comfortably. So on Friday she tried withdrawing some of the money at a UBA bank ATM but the ATM returned a message that read WITHDRAWAL FAILED she tried several times but it was still returning the same message. So she tried withdrawing a very little amount from a POS but the POS declined her card with a message that Read RESERVED FOR CLIENT SPECIFIC USE. As at now she can't check her balance, make transfers, withdraw or even buy airtime from the account. I don't know if the account can still take in money though. I asked around and was told that the account may have been blocked or frozen because the money that got into it was quite large. She is going there on Monday to make enquires to know why the account was blocked but what I want to know now is if banks have that right. Because I know of a friend who in December last year received about 10 million naira into his GTB account and the account was frozen. Till today he has been going to the bank and they're still on the matter. I don't have much details from my friends case but from what he told me he said the manager/bank says the transaction is fraudulent or proceeds of fraud. That's what they've been settling till now. So what I want to know is that if my sister's account has been blocked or frozen, what are the steps to take to make sure the account is unblocked/unfrozen by Monday because they need the money urgently for my dad's hospital bills. Comments will be appreciated and FP will be even more appreciated. I don't know the name of the mods here but you guys should please help me mention them. Thank you very much.

cc lalasticlala

Your friend should take the matter up involve he/she should involve a lawyer , write a petition to EFCC. If that doesn't work call the bank out on Social Media platforms like Facebook e.t.c. He should present his business card . It's only in Nigeria all these rubbish happens oh. Some of these bank officials are thieves. Now back to your case your sister could have gone to the bank to make an inquiry if her account can hold such money and her accounts needs to be upgraded to normal savings account. Thanks
Re: Do Banks Have The Right To Block/sieze Customer's Account/funds? by Freestainworld(m): 9:24pm On Jun 13, 2020
have never experienced this but it is good to know how these banks operate sometimes.
Re: Do Banks Have The Right To Block/sieze Customer's Account/funds? by chibatov(m): 9:27pm On Jun 13, 2020
Galactico4ever:
I had a similar case with UBA in my year 1.I opened an account @ the school branch and i was receiving and withdrawing between 30-100k for about 2 years.One day,a friend from abroad transferred some dollars totalling about 600K to the account.I went to the ATM to withdraw but transaction was declined.To cut it short,the customer service told me I opened a freedom savings account which is authorized to receive not more than 300k.I had to update my account to a general savings account with my Voter's card and utility bil b4 i finally withdrew the money.You can ask your sister to tag them on twitter or send a direct message.I also think their customer service is online via their website http://ubagroup.com Their twitter handle is @ubacares or @ubagroup .Don't worry,i think the problem can be fixed on monday if she goes early to the bank with the documents
Thank you very much. I've been chatting with their customer service online too and I was told the same thing. Thing is, her voter's card is a temporary one and I think that is why the account was blocked. The voter's card is not even with her at the moment it's back in her school here in the same state. I'm just hoping they'll accept just the utility bill Since she said the account was opened with her voter's card.
Re: Do Banks Have The Right To Block/sieze Customer's Account/funds? by Galactico4ever(m): 9:31pm On Jun 13, 2020
Missyajoke:

Your friend should take the matter up involve he/she should involve a lawyer , write a petition to EFCC. If that doesn't work call the bank out on Social Media platforms like Facebook e.t.c. He should present his business card . It's only in Nigeria all these rubbish happens oh. Some of these bank officials are thieves. Now back to your case your sister could have gone to the bank to make an inquiry if her account can hold such money and her accounts needs to be upgraded to normal savings account. Thanks
Lol. You are a mean lady.
Re: Do Banks Have The Right To Block/sieze Customer's Account/funds? by chibatov(m): 9:32pm On Jun 13, 2020
Missyajoke:

Thanks a lot. My friend even said the bank manager at his branch was already suggesting they share the money before the account can be unfrozen. In his own words he was asked to go open a zenith bank account and his own cut will be transferred in a way to the newly created account.
Re: Do Banks Have The Right To Block/sieze Customer's Account/funds? by Galactico4ever(m): 9:36pm On Jun 13, 2020
chibatov:
Thank you very much. I've been chatting with their customer service online too and I was told the same thing. Thing is, her voter's card is a temporary one and I think that is why the account was blocked. The voter's card is not even with her at the moment it's back in her school here in the same state. I'm just hoping they'll accept just the utility bill Since she said the account was opened with her voter's card.
It is futile going the bank with no identification :driving Licence, PVC, Int.Passport or national id card cos they won't attend to you.She can always get a National ID from the nearest local govt.CBN have mandated them to accept it
Re: Do Banks Have The Right To Block/sieze Customer's Account/funds? by chibatov(m): 9:39pm On Jun 13, 2020
Galactico4ever:
It is futile going the bank with no identification :driving Licence, PVC, Int.Passport or national id card cos they won't attend to you.She can always get a National ID from the nearest local govt.CBN have mandated them to accept it
So you mean even if she gets the temporary voter's card it won't be accepted?
Re: Do Banks Have The Right To Block/sieze Customer's Account/funds? by Galactico4ever(m): 9:49pm On Jun 13, 2020
chibatov:
So you mean even if she gets the temporary voter's card it won't be accepted?
I don't think so.Why not go and get the the PVC from the inec office.also,the NIN doesn't take time so she can get that as well.
Re: Do Banks Have The Right To Block/sieze Customer's Account/funds? by chibatov(m): 10:05pm On Jun 13, 2020
Galactico4ever:
I don't think so.Why not go and get the the PVC from the inec office.also,the NIN doesn't take time so she can get that as well.
How long will it take for her to get the NIN? I don't think I remember how long mine took before I got the text and before I got the temporary nin on paper
Re: Do Banks Have The Right To Block/sieze Customer's Account/funds? by Galactico4ever(m): 10:10pm On Jun 13, 2020
chibatov:
How long will it take for her to get the NIN? I don't think I remember how long mine took before I got the text and before I got the temporary nin on paper
My younger bro got his own in 3 days.reg on wed and collected it on friday morning.your area may be faster though
Re: Do Banks Have The Right To Block/sieze Customer's Account/funds? by chibatov(m): 10:16pm On Jun 13, 2020
Galactico4ever:
My younger bro got his own in 3 days.reg on wed and collected it on friday morning.your area may be faster though
okay thanks. I'll make sure she registers and gets it done on Monday. Once again thank you very much.

1 Like

Re: Do Banks Have The Right To Block/sieze Customer's Account/funds? by Missyajoke(f): 12:52am On Jun 14, 2020
chibatov:

She should register for NIN cause banks demand for it too
Re: Do Banks Have The Right To Block/sieze Customer's Account/funds? by chibatov(m): 10:13pm On Jun 16, 2020
Thanks a lot guys. My sis got the account fixed today with just her temporary voter's card and utility bill.
Re: Do Banks Have The Right To Block/sieze Customer's Account/funds? by Missyajoke(f): 5:45pm On Jun 18, 2020
chibatov:
Thanks a lot guys. My sis got the account fixed today with just her temporary voter's card and utility bill.

You're welcome

(1) (Reply)

Can I Gain Admission Without WAEC Results / What Type Of Snake Is This? / Nigerian Bottling Company(coca Cola) Siwes Internship Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.