Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,828 members, 7,817,420 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:55 AM

Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead (42078 Views)

Henrietta Alokha Is Dead! The Principal Of Bethlehem Girls College Dies In Lagos / Samuel Oladipo Suspended By UNILAG For “Sex For Admission” Scandal / Okikioluwa Uzoma Oladipo Receives £16000 CBMBA Scholarship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Johnrake69: 8:24am On Jun 16, 2020
decatalyst:

Well, it is so sad that @seun created a platform for sane intellectually developed individuals to congregate, share views, proffer solution, help and generally support the gregarious nature of men. However, cheap or free mobile data dole out by mobile operators has contributed to spike in the number of docile and senile riffraff like you on the internet.

Do you have an idea of what it takes to really earn a B.Sc. not to talk of being an Emeritus professor of medicine?

Truly, a prophet is not valued at his home.

There is a point in what the guy said. We have had this topic discussed with our pronowned Dr Aguolu, an authority in Auditing in Nigeria back in UNN. These men achieved so much through favorable policies. When he gained admission to UNN they were staffs at the hostels to take you to your respective rooms. The first student riot in UNN was as a result of students now being served a full chicken to 4 students instead of two students. Most didn't pay a dime for education. He never wrote an application letter all his life. Now, this was a system they all passed through most of them are at the helm of affairs today in our various citadel of learning. Common water they can't provide to student hostels. They enjoyed so much and did so little to maintain it.

4 Likes

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Noel19: 8:25am On Jun 16, 2020
ModestGal:
Well, these men never had influence on the common Nigerian. I'm sure he was able to have all that because of the way Nigeria was, but they all destroyed it for us.

Look at his profile and you would wonder if he wasn't born of a woman, yes he was, and he might even be from a poor family, there are many professors like that in UI

A time will come in this country, that we would do thesame thing the black Americans are doing for some statues in the US for some of our elders

A poor person would not be able to achieve what this man achieved in this age, not because he won't be brilliant but because he won't even have access to a good primary education

I do not like the old generation and have no respect for them because the destroyed the lifes of our generation. The old generation did not try at all

Yes you may detest the old generation and have no respect for them based on your claim on how they destroyed Nigeria.

But when it's time, our own children, the next generation coming will hate us to the extent that most of us them will disown their father's.

Why? Our own generation will be worse off when compared with the generation of our leaders presently. You see, so many Nigerian youths have sold their brains, they've allowed religion and ethnic undertones to influence their decisions and as such become willing tools in the hands of selfish politicians.

The Nigerian youth, in this time and age where information and technology is at it's peak can not rise up, team up and speak truth to power. They claim to be learned but most are educated illiterates. They're so quick to rally round and sing praises to the same politicians that have rendered their life miserable.

When well meaning Nigerians (Nnamdi Kanu, Sowore and Co.) came out to criticize the govt, the same useless youths were the ones that chastised them. So as you're pointing accussing fingers at the older generation get ready for the generation to come because they'll not only point accusing fingers, they will despise, loath and curse many for sitting and watching while their commonwealth were been wasted and stolen.

2 Likes

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Keemsleek005(m): 8:26am On Jun 16, 2020
decatalyst:

Shut your dirty mouth, you ignoramus!

Yes, remain poor and continue to blame others for your failures and misery. That's what people that epitomize failure do!

Just imagine the accomplishment this man was able to garner, the impact he had in medicine and the lives that were saved through his research works, yet a nonentity like you have the effrontery to spew thrash you wrote up there. I was equally impressed when I read about the father of Chimmanda, and the early days of Okonjo Ideals. I could only appreciate and hope I am able to give my kids the best out there.

Greatness and success is a product of our mindset, thoughts and hard work. Obviously you have bitterness in your heart. Your case is pathetic to say the least!

If your parents, family, government, guardian, society or friends fail you, don't fail yourself and your children!

Well, it is so sad that @seun created a platform for sane intellectually developed individuals to congregate, share views, proffer solution, help and generally support the gregarious nature of men. However, cheap or free mobile data dole out by mobile operators has contributed to spike in the number of docile and senile riffraff like you on the internet.

Do you have an idea of what it takes to really earn a B.Sc. not to talk of being an Emeritus Professor of medicine?

PS: I would rather lick my own butt than lick that of a senile being like you!

Lovely reply. Respect
Our destiny is in our hand not anybody or goverment.
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Johnrake69: 8:32am On Jun 16, 2020
Godisgreatest1:

The old generation passed through and shut the door. These same people ruined the country. Celebrate them at your own ignorance.

This is nothing but the truth. I was shocked to hear that the first student riot in UNN was as a result of students being served a full chicken to four students instead of 2 students. Dr Aguolu told us that in the morning you have to make a choice of having beverages or tea before setting out for lectures. This generation are still charge in our various cital of learning yet, common water they can't provide to students hostel. A failed generation.

1 Like

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Ayobami7(m): 8:32am On Jun 16, 2020
Rip
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by juman(m): 8:36am On Jun 16, 2020
Their generation failed Nigeria.
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by juman(m): 8:38am On Jun 16, 2020
People of senseless generation dying off one by one.

1 Like

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by fergie001: 8:39am On Jun 16, 2020
RIP Prof...

See bio.....Some people dey read book o
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Johnrake69: 8:40am On Jun 16, 2020
Keemsleek005:

Lovely reply. Respect
Our destiny is in our hand not anybody or goverment.

Most people don't get it. Poverty and failure most times are attributed to individuals shortcomings. I think that is a fallacy. Poverty is as a result of a failed system that has been implemented in a society.

3 Likes

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Nobody: 8:52am On Jun 16, 2020
Godisgreatest1:

Where are they?, it's like you are in a different country. Just be thankful you haven't had a health emergency in this country.

Well, many of the doctors he trained still practice in this country. He was also active in the setting up of the National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria, and also wrote many papers and textbooks, including the noted Compendium of Clinical Medicine (which I used in medical school by the way)

I should note that I am a Nigerian doctor, practicing in Nigeria, trained in Nigeria and currently doing residency in Nigeria. Not all of us went abroad.

Also, medical care has improved in Nigeria. As an example, in my home village 60 years ago, if you fell seriously sick, the nearest proper hospital was 2-3 hours away. Now, it's just 30 minutes away.

If it wasn't for people like him, many of the doctors and nurses you see in Nigeria won't have been here.

Plus, doctors and nurses treat many Nigerians sucessfully every day. The problem is, the press reports the bad cases, and keeps quiet about the good cases.

Not true at all!..please skip that, do your findings I will wait patiently
Well to use an example....Professor Ben Nwabueze, the legal expert, was spnsored to school by a relatively well to do relative. When he was ready to go to university, he applied for a scholarship which was offered by the Colonial authorities for promising youth

Mass free education started under Awolowo, and later under the Army rule (espicially via UPE). Today, most primary and secondary government schools are free (but poorly equipped)..

If only NMA will put pressure on democracy the same way they put it in their pockets.

Well, NMA has been going on strike, and screaming about how bad the health system has been for deacdes. It's because most Nigerians think it is about their pockets all the time.

Also, healthcare is poorly funded . We have a budget of $26billion this year, out of which we spend about $3 billion on health. Many European countries spend at least $100billion on health.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by mdan(m): 8:53am On Jun 16, 2020
Rest on prof
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Nobody: 8:54am On Jun 16, 2020
Wow! I thought of this sage 2 days ago. I was even reminiscing the last time I met him when he came to visit professor alonge, the immediate past CMD in his office. Each time I walked past his office on the 2nd floor, I'd always remember this man's efforts and achievements in medicine in Africa.

Rest on sage...you were one of the yoruba's best.

2 Likes

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Intrepid01(m): 8:57am On Jun 16, 2020
Johnrake69:

This is nothing but the truth. I was shocked to hear that the first student riot in UNN was as a result of students being served a full chicken to four students instead of 2 students. Dr Aguolu told us that in the morning you have to make a choice of having beverages or tea before setting out for lectures. This generation are still charge in our various cital of learning yet, common water they can't provide to students hostel. A failed generation.

You see I get you and I am as bitter as you're about the old generation. But even if things were still as good as of old, it is impossible to any Govt in the world to b providing free things to people, especially with such a humongous population like ours. How many people were going to school in the 50s and 40s? what was even the population of Nigeria at that time?

But ofcourse the current generation of leaders have failed the Country.

2 Likes

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by ACE1010: 9:07am On Jun 16, 2020
Rest on, our Emeritus Prof. God bless your spirit, you lived a well deserved life, and you also fought a good course lipsrsealed lipsrsealed kiss
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by IronMan077(m): 9:08am On Jun 16, 2020
Rest in peace and May your legacy continue to inspire others
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Nobody: 9:08am On Jun 16, 2020
Johnrake69:

When these great lecturers speak about what they enjoyed while schooling, one would really feel bad for this generation. They even confirm that students are just suffering now.
A minimal reduction from what our politicians' earn,,, channelled into education would really go far.

May God redeem this nation
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Nobody: 9:09am On Jun 16, 2020
Johnrake69:

Well, the population of students in UNN then was most likely below 2000 students. Not now when it is probably above 40000.

If you want to serve them chicken now, taxes and fees would have to massively go up.

Denmark enjoys free education from cradle to grave. And working adults there pay half their salaries as taxes to guarantee that.
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by ajailer(m): 9:12am On Jun 16, 2020
ModestGal:
Well, these men never had influence on the common Nigerian. I'm sure he was able to have all that because of the way Nigeria was, but they all destroyed it for us.

Look at his profile and you would wonder if he wasn't born of a woman, yes he was, and he might even be from a poor family, there are many professors like that in UI

A time will come in this country, that we would do thesame thing the black Americans are doing for some statues in the US for some of our elders

A poor person would not be able to achieve what this man achieved in this age, not because he won't be brilliant but because he won't even have access to a good primary education

I do not like the old generation and have no respect for them because the destroyed the lifes of our generation. The old generation did not try at all

you lack sense and I pray God helps you. you talk like someone that has no parent or elderly ones and I wonder if someone were to say this about your loved ones.

you have a lot of issues and I hope you pray to God for healing

2 Likes

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Nobody: 9:13am On Jun 16, 2020
SIR0:
When these great lecturers speak about what they enjoyed while schooling, one would really feel bad for this generation. They even confirm that students are just suffering now.

May God redeem this nation

Back then, fewer students went to school

I went to the same uni as my parents. During my parents time, the university had less than 3000 students. During my time, the number was 50000 if not more.

My parents enjoyed breakfast with tea, bread and butter, and correct lunch. Me? (let me not laff).

Thing is, back in our parent's generation, fewer people went to university. Plus, there were only 4 universites then. Now, there are 70 government owned universites, and they are still establishing more.

2 Likes

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by IJOBA2: 9:17am On Jun 16, 2020
decatalyst:

Yes, remain poor and continue to blame others for your failures and misery. That's what people that epitomize failure do!

Just imagine the accomplishment this man was able to garner, the impact he had in medicine and the lives that were saved through his research works, yet a nonentity like you have the effrontery to spew thrash you wrote up there. I was equally impressed when I read about the father of Chimmanda, and the early days of Okonjo Ideals. I could only appreciate and hope I am able to give my kids the best out there.

Greatness and success is a product of our mindset, thoughts and hard work. Obviously you have bitterness in your heart. Your case is pathetic to say the least!

If your parents, family, government, guardian, society or friends fail you, don't fail yourself and your children!

Do you have an idea of what it takes to really earn a B.Sc. not to talk of being an Emeritus Professor of medicine?

NA FOR WHERE WOMEN DEY MY PEOPLE DEY GET MOUTH. TELL ME EXACTLY WHATS WRONG IN WHAT SHE SAID
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by itzzkhaliii(m): 9:17am On Jun 16, 2020
kikero:

Well, many of the doctors he trained still practice in this country. He was also active in the setting up of the National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria, and also wrote many papers and textbooks, including the noted Compendium of Clinical Medicine (which I used in medical school by the way)

I should note that I am a Nigerian doctor, practicing in Nigeria, trained in Nigeria and currently doing residency in Nigeria. Not all of us went abroad.
#Respect Dr fact

Also, medical care has improved in Nigeria. As an example, in my home village 60 years ago, if you fell seriously sick, the nearest proper hospital was 2-3 hours away. Now, it's just 30 minutes away.

If it wasn't for people like him, many of the doctors and nurses you see in Nigeria won't have been here.

Plus, doctors and nurses treat many Nigerians sucessfully every day. The problem is, the press reports the bad cases, and keeps quiet about the good cases.

Well to use an example....Professor Ben Nwabueze, the legal expert, was spnsored to school by a relatively well to do relative. When he was ready to go to university, he applied for a scholarship which was offered by the Colonial authorities for promising youth

Mass free education started under Awolowo, and later under the Army rule (espicially via UPE). Today, most primary and secondary government schools are free (but poorly equipped)..

Well, NMA has been going on strike, and screaming about how bad the health system has been for deacdes. It's because most Nigerians think it is about their pockets all the time.

Also, healthcare is poorly funded . We have a budget of $26billion this year, out of which we spend about $3 billion on health. Many European countries spend at least $100billion on health.
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by itzzkhaliii(m): 9:17am On Jun 16, 2020
kikero:

#Respect Dr. fact

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by gbagyiza: 9:19am On Jun 16, 2020
Artiiclebeast:
A life well-lived.

It beats my imagination and comprehension that a vegetable Iifeless not would rule a country that parades intellectuals like these.

God, abeg forgive us our trespasses and deliver is from these enemies of the state.

Rest on Prof.

Our political structure is build to take in dull people as leaders, while the genus r been kept aside.
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by LadySarah: 9:23am On Jun 16, 2020
Johnrake69:

There is a point in what the guy said. We have had this topic discussed with our pronowned Dr Aguolu, an authority in Auditing in Nigeria back in UNN. These men achieved so much through favorable policies. When he gained admission to UNN they were staffs at the hostels to take you to your respective rooms. The first student riot in UNN was as a result of students now being served a full chicken to 4 students instead of two students. Most didn't pay a dime for education. He never wrote an application letter all his life. Now, this was a system they all passed through most of them are at the helm of affairs today in our various citadel of learning. Common water they can't provide to student hostels. They enjoyed so much and did so little to maintain it.

Achebe wrote it in his last book "There was a country" on how they failed the younger generation cos of greed and nepotism . He wrote how they literarily walked into their jobs upon graduation. I mean these jobs were already waiting for any graduate.

Nowadays a PhD student is jobless while an undergraduate who knows someone already has a job waiting for him.

Would it be fair if I say The whites should colonize us again?

2 Likes

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by LadySarah: 9:32am On Jun 16, 2020
kikero:

Well, the population of students in UNN then was most likely below 2000 students. Not now when it is probably above 40000.

If you want to serve them chicken now, taxes and fees would have to massively go up.

Denmark enjoys free education from cradle to grave. And working adults there pay half their salaries as taxes to guarantee that.

Nigerians will pay tax if it won't end in the politicians pockets. Would you pay tax and still go home to sink a borehole for your water, an inverter and generator for your power, mechanic always servicing of cars cos of bad roads and hospital bills where there shld be health insurance . Govt hospital s you go for treatment and end up home with another ailment. Paying ppl before getting a govt job? Is it the universities with absentee lecturers having jobs in 3 unis at once.

Cmon! The rot started with them and it's not ending soon cos the Igbos say"one whose father sent to steal uses his leg to break the door ". Your younger generation is learning well from them.

It's terrible!
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by AgentNairaland(f): 9:56am On Jun 16, 2020
One Day We'll See A Prof. Of Medicine From Fulani Kingdom
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by GeorgeTheCoder: 10:09am On Jun 16, 2020
ModestGal post=90708303[s:

I do not like the old generation and have no respect for them because the destroyed the lifes of our generation. The old generation did not try at all[/s]

You are simply stupid and have no one to tell you.

Prof was born poor. He worked hard for everything he had. His work affected every Blackman on earth (not just Nigerians) through his ground breaking research into hypertension in black people. He was never a government contractor

Next time STFU
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by FlameZ80s(m): 10:11am On Jun 16, 2020
It's like you have watched the movie:"NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN'
ModestGal:

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by FlameZ80s(m): 10:14am On Jun 16, 2020
[/b]
decatalyst:

[b]If your parents, family, government, guardian, society or friends fail you, don't fail yourself and your children!

Come no spoil market for Seen. You know people weh de give NL traffic pass?
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Nobody: 10:16am On Jun 16, 2020
LadySarah:

Achebe wrote it in his last book "There was a country" on how they failed the younger generation cos of greed and nepotism . He wrote how they literarily walked into their jobs upon graduation. I mean these jobs were already waiting for any graduate.

Nowadays a PhD student is jobless while an undergraduate who knows someone already has a job waiting for him.

Would it be fair if I say The whites should colonize us again?

Well,.Achebe and company had jobs easily because the colonial administration was being indeginised.

Jobs held by white people were being taken over by Nigerians.

Add the fact that until the 1980s, the number of graduates was less than the number of available jobs.

I should also add that because our economy is quasi socialist, and not fully capitalist, plus we run an economy heavily dependent on importing stuff we can make, job creation is severely limited
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Prenonjebose: 10:21am On Jun 16, 2020
Johnrake69:

You must realise that the student population at that time was in tandem with the available facility. Now, what we have is rapid national population growth, massive demand for tertiary education, poor value of the naira, emphasis on quantitative and not qualitative education.
Demand for education is overwhelming now, reason for the rapid increase in private schools. Facilities in most public tertiary schools are over stretched. The facilities bult to house 4 students, now has 8-10 students. For proper funding of schools, students may have to pay 5 times of what they currently pay. This would surely be out of reach for many indigent students.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by illicit(m): 10:27am On Jun 16, 2020
ModestGal:

It's just like you are speaking my mind.
They ruined it for us.

I personally have a dislike for 60 and above elites/ educated people, everything they got on a platter of gold, they made miserable for us....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

WAEC Result: I'm Disappointed With This Grammar / Three ‘Missing’ Female-Undergraduates Found In Dubai / Commissioning Of Moses Orimolade University (omu Aran)kwara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.