Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,883 members, 7,817,597 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:14 PM

Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead (42080 Views)

Henrietta Alokha Is Dead! The Principal Of Bethlehem Girls College Dies In Lagos / Samuel Oladipo Suspended By UNILAG For “Sex For Admission” Scandal / Okikioluwa Uzoma Oladipo Receives £16000 CBMBA Scholarship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Lovelyn451(f): 10:31am On Jun 16, 2020
Nigerian youths!! You want a better country, you want things to be right yet someone suggested one of the root causes of our problems, all you do is insult and shut him up, no possible solution on what she highlighted, no ideas, just insult upon insult,...anyways, im happy sane people are already discussing the matter as I can read through comments below, let me learn from them...
decatalyst:

Shut your dirty mouth, you ignoramus!

Yes, remain poor and continue to blame others for your failures and misery. That's what people that epitomize failure do!

Just imagine the accomplishment this man was able to garner, the impact he had in medicine and the lives that were saved through his research works, yet a nonentity like you have the effrontery to spew thrash you wrote up there. I was equally impressed when I read about the father of Chimmanda, and the early days of Okonjo Ideals. I could only appreciate and hope I am able to give my kids the best out there.

Greatness and success is a product of our mindset, thoughts and hard work. Obviously you have bitterness in your heart. Your case is pathetic to say the least!

If your parents, family, government, guardian, society or friends fail you, don't fail yourself and your children!

Well, it is so sad that @seun created a platform for sane intellectually developed individuals to congregate, share views, proffer solution, help and generally support the gregarious nature of men. However, cheap or free mobile data dole out by mobile operators has contributed to spike in the number of docile and senile riffraff like you on the internet.

Do you have an idea of what it takes to really earn a B.Sc. not to talk of being an Emeritus Professor of medicine?

Truly, a prophet is not valued at his home.

PS: I would rather lick my own butt than lick that of a senile being like you!

1 Like

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Femeto: 10:34am On Jun 16, 2020
This man was part of the founding fathers of Bells University of Technology Ota Ogun state.
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Antichristus: 11:31am On Jun 16, 2020
decatalyst:

Shut your dirty mouth, you ignoramus!

Yes, remain poor and continue to blame others for your failures and misery. That's what people that epitomize failure do!

Just imagine the accomplishment this man was able to garner, the impact he had in medicine and the lives that were saved through his research works, yet a nonentity like you have the effrontery to spew thrash you wrote up there. I was equally impressed when I read about the father of Chimmanda, and the early days of Okonjo Ideals. I could only appreciate and hope I am able to give my kids the best out there.

Greatness and success is a product of our mindset, thoughts and hard work. Obviously you have bitterness in your heart. Your case is pathetic to say the least!

If your parents, family, government, guardian, society or friends fail you, don't fail yourself and your children!

Well, it is so sad that @seun created a platform for sane intellectually developed individuals to congregate, share views, proffer solution, help and generally support the gregarious nature of men. However, cheap or free mobile data dole out by mobile operators has contributed to spike in the number of docile and senile riffraff like you on the internet.

Do you have an idea of what it takes to really earn a B.Sc. not to talk of being an Emeritus Professor of medicine?

Truly, a prophet is not valued at his home.

PS: I would rather lick my own butt than lick that of a senile being like you!

Decatalyst, I feel your pain and that of the fellow whose post you responded to, in equal measure. Past generations of Nigerians (I’m not fingering Akinkugbe here) have failed the current generation even as many younger ones have worked hard to not fail themselves. Today in Nigeria, there are medical school graduates who are jobless and struggling to make ends meet. There are young medical doctors in private practice who are being treated like trash by their employers whilst their contemporaries in the state and federal sectors are working on empty stomachs. Today, in Nigeria, many Law School graduates, after being called to the bar, are merely involved in charge and bail transactions on court premises and in police stations. Have you not read in newspapers how some of them, on court premises and in police stations, are being whipped by police and locked up in the process of helping clients? Where else in the world are lawyers beaten up by police officers? I have been living in the UK for over 20 years now. In that period, I have encountered extremely intelligent and brilliant Nigerians who came over here to pursue masters and PhDs in some of the most respected fields within the academia and industries. These gained those qualifications within time frame but simply can’t return to Nigeria where certificate forgers are in power, earning an annual salary that will take a university professor 10 years to earn, legally. Of course some returned home to their ruins, regretting it for life. Let me share the story of a young chap who is a family member that I mentored here with you and my readers. This boy earned his PhD in an engineering field at the age of 28 and was intent on returning to Nigeria straight after graduation. He had job offers from Nigeria but I insisted on him staying back here in the UK for a few more years not only to gain work experience (as he never worked in his life having made transition from primary to secondary, from secondary to undergraduate and from undergraduate to PhD) but also so he could obtain his indefinite leave to remain, and ultimately British Citizenship. He heeded my advice and eventually returned to Nigeria after gain excellent work experience and BC. In three years, he was out of that hell hole called Nigeria. Why? The only thing that’s 100% guaranteed to work in Nigeria, even in churches and mosques, is FRAUD. The only thing that, however, guaranteed his exit from that shit hole (excuse my language) is his British passport. He is now an associate professor in Canada.

Nigeria’s problems are countless. Sadly, some think if they are fine and secured, that’s all that matter. You come across as one of such people, ignoring the suffering of the masses - including those who after being failed by the government did everything not to fail themselves. I know and hear of middle aged men and women exhibiting your kind of attitude, defending older generations who had it so good but failed to ensure the generation behind them have a taste of what they enjoyed. Many of them have gone to their early graves because at the point of desperate needs for good healthcare, none was in place in spite of their hard earned cash; some were unjustly and unjustifiably trashed and killed by members of the armed forces due to Nigeria’s lawlessness; some fell into the hands of kidnappers and have simply disappeared from the face of this Earth; some have been brutally murdered by armed bandits of all sorts; some have tragically lost their lives on dilapidated Nigerian roads; I do not wish this on you or anyone. However, Nigeria needs fixing, older generations have failed the current generation and we must not shy away from this fact. The generation of Akinkugbe went abroad and collected enviable degrees and returned home gloriously to make excellent contributions. Nigeria is no longer that same place where it’s own children can happily return after earning precisely the same qualifications Akinkugbe earned from London, Liverpool and Oxford to earn a meaningful living let alone make a meaningful contribution. Peace unto you and all my readers.

7 Likes

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by onyxo76(m): 11:41am On Jun 16, 2020
if you never passed through this prof as a medical student either through his books or personally then you missed big time such a great teacher of medicine. we will surely miss him

1 Like

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Venerable612(m): 12:10pm On Jun 16, 2020
ModestGal:
Well, these men never had influence on the common Nigerian. I'm sure he was able to have all that because of the way Nigeria was, but they all destroyed it for us.

Look at his profile and you would wonder if he wasn't born of a woman, yes he was, and he might even be from a poor family, there are many professors like that in UI

A time will come in this country, that we would do thesame thing the black Americans are doing for some statues in the US for some of our elders

A poor person would not be able to achieve what this man achieved in this age, not because he won't be brilliant but because he won't even have access to a good primary education

I do not like the old generation and have no respect for them because the destroyed the lifes of our generation. The old generation did not try at all

I absolutely agree!

1 Like

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by bandOFhorses: 12:42pm On Jun 16, 2020
bukkysam:
Repent today tomorrow is not sure for you

Burning in hell for eternity for a life of a 100 years give or take. How can you accommodate such belief... Is it not better to just die!!
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by bandOFhorses: 12:48pm On Jun 16, 2020
Antichristus:

Decatalyst, I feel your pain and that of the fellow whose post you responded to, in equal measure. Past generations of Nigerians (I’m not fingering Akinkugbe here) have failed the current generation even as many younger ones have worked hard to not fail themselves. Today in Nigeria, there are medical school graduates who are jobless and struggling to make ends meet. There are young medical doctors in private practice who are being treated like trash by their employers whilst their contemporaries in the state and federal sectors are working on empty stomachs. Today, in Nigeria, many Law School graduates, after being called to the bar, are merely involved in charge and bail transactions on court premises and in police stations. Have you not read in newspapers how some of them, on court premises and in police stations, are being whipped by police and locked up in the process of helping clients? Where else in the world are lawyers beaten up by police officers? I have been living in the UK for over 20 years now. In that period, I have encountered extremely intelligent and brilliant Nigerians who came over here to pursue masters and PhDs in some of the most respected fields within the academia and industries. These gained those qualifications within time frame but simply can’t return to Nigeria where certificate forgers are in power, earning an annual salary that will take a university professor 10 years to earn, legally. Of course some returned home to their ruins, regretting it for life. Let me share the story of a young chap who is a family member that I mentored here with you and my readers. This boy earned his PhD in an engineering field at the age of 28 and was intent on returning to Nigeria straight after graduation. He had job offers from Nigeria but I insisted on him staying back here in the UK for a few more years not only to gain work experience (as he never worked in his life having made transition from primary to secondary, from secondary to undergraduate and from undergraduate to PhD) but also so he could obtain his indefinite leave to remain, and ultimately British Citizenship. He heeded my advice and eventually returned to Nigeria after gain excellent work experience and BC. In three years, he was out of that hell hole called Nigeria. Why? The only thing that’s 100% guaranteed to work in Nigeria, even in churches and mosques, is FRAUD. The only thing that, however, guaranteed his exit from that shit hole (excuse my language) is his British passport. He is now an associate professor in Canada.

Nigeria’s problems are countless. Sadly, some think if they are fine and secured, that’s all that matter. You come across as one of such people, ignoring the suffering of the masses - including those who after being failed by the government did everything not to fail themselves. I know and hear of middle aged men and women exhibiting your kind of attitude, defending older generations who had it so good but failed to ensure the generation behind them have a taste of what they enjoyed. Many of them have gone to their early graves because at the point of desperate needs for good healthcare, none was in place in spite of their hard earned cash; some were unjustly and unjustifiably trashed and killed by members of the armed forces due to Nigeria’s lawlessness; some fell into the hands of kidnappers and have simply disappeared from the face of this Earth; some have been brutally murdered by armed bandits of all sorts; some have tragically lost their lives on dilapidated Nigerian roads; I do not wish this on you or anyone. However, Nigeria needs fixing, older generations have failed the current generation and we must not shy away from this fact. The generation of Akinkugbe went abroad and collected enviable degrees and returned home gloriously to make excellent contributions. Nigeria is no longer that same place where it’s own children can happily return after earning precisely the same qualifications Akinkugbe earned from London, Liverpool and Oxford to earn a meaningful living let alone make a meaningful contribution. Peace unto you and all my readers.

This is arguably the best stuff I've read here on nairaland. Well pieced and enlightening. Good one bro. You've got insight

1 Like

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Dagger111(m): 12:51pm On Jun 16, 2020
ElRapido:
Make dem transfer his brain give him first son.

Kai, u got sense so?
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by fbabs(m): 12:54pm On Jun 16, 2020
kikero:

Well, many of the doctors he trained still practice in this country. He was also active in the setting up of the National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria, and also wrote many papers and textbooks, including the noted Compendium of Clinical Medicine (which I used in medical school by the way)

I should note that I am a Nigerian doctor, practicing in Nigeria, trained in Nigeria and currently doing residency in Nigeria. Not all of us went abroad.

Also, medical care has improved in Nigeria. As an example, in my home village 60 years ago, if you fell seriously sick, the nearest proper hospital was 2-3 hours away. Now, it's just 30 minutes away.

If it wasn't for people like him, many of the doctors and nurses you see in Nigeria won't have been here.

Plus, doctors and nurses treat many Nigerians sucessfully every day. The problem is, the press reports the bad cases, and keeps quiet about the good cases.

Well to use an example....Professor Ben Nwabueze, the legal expert, was spnsored to school by a relatively well to do relative. When he was ready to go to university, he applied for a scholarship which was offered by the Colonial authorities for promising youth

Mass free education started under Awolowo, and later under the Army rule (espicially via UPE). Today, most primary and secondary government schools are free (but poorly equipped)..

Well, NMA has been going on strike, and screaming about how bad the health system has been for deacdes. It's because most Nigerians think it is about their pockets all the time.

Also, healthcare is poorly funded . We have a budget of $26billion this year, out of which we spend about $3 billion on health. Many European countries spend at least $100billion on health.

GOD BLESS you sir

You won my heart with this your comment that I have to go through all your posts on this forum

You are a rare gem

Please, can you be my mentor
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by ModestGal(f): 2:13pm On Jun 16, 2020
illicit:

It's just like you are speaking my mind.
They ruined it for us.

I personally have a dislike for 60 and above elites/ educated people, everything they got on a platter of gold, they made miserable for us....
Hmm, it is well sir. Me too, I do not like them, they destroyed this country for us with their selfishness, racism, myths and folklores and without consideration for our generation to come

2 Likes

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by ModestGal(f): 2:13pm On Jun 16, 2020
FlameZ80s:
It's like you have watched the movie:"NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN'
No, I have not, is there a film like that? I want to see it
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by ModestGal(f): 2:19pm On Jun 16, 2020
Noel19:

Yes you may detest the old generation and have no respect for them based on your claim on how they destroyed Nigeria.

But when it's time, our own children, the next generation coming will hate us to the extent that most of us them will disown their father's.

Why? Our own generation will be worse off when compared with the generation of our leaders presently. You see, so many Nigerian youths have sold their brains, they've allowed religion and ethnic undertones to influence their decisions and as such become willing tools in the hands of selfish politicians.

The Nigerian youth, in this time and age where information and technology is at it's peak can not rise up, team up and speak truth to power. They claim to be learned but most are educated illiterates. They're so quick to rally round and sing praises to the same politicians that have rendered their life miserable.

When well meaning Nigerians (Nnamdi Kanu, Sowore and Co.) came out to criticize the govt, the same useless youths were the ones that chastised them. So as you're pointing accussing fingers at the older generation get ready for the generation to come because they'll not only point accusing fingers, they will despise, loath and curse many for sitting and watching while their commonwealth were been wasted and stolen.

I will be there in my grave to grease their elbows when they curse on our generation for failing them. But still, you cannot compare the opportunities open to our grandfathers and that open to us, especially, comparing hardworking, right thinking old generation to our own generation, would be thesame effort but different output
Anyway, those people you mentioned above didn't do anything different
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by ModestGal(f): 2:21pm On Jun 16, 2020
Intrepid01:

As much as I got the overall import of your message, I think your expression was wrong and disrespectful to the man.

You see I also resent the old generation for not doing enough and allowing Nigeria to degenerate to this current state.

pls listen to @decatalyst
I'm not referring to the prof in particular, I do not know him now, I'm just referring to old generations, people that were given scholarships abroad, but after studying at Oxford university, Harvard university, decided not to ever step home to make their mother land better. I'm referring to the old generation with brain that refused to participate in politics due to their selfishness because as at the time, it was easier than this
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by soamsii55: 2:48pm On Jun 16, 2020
I never met with him one on one but I know someone in my estate in Ìbàdàn here that he gave a car to as a gift... He lived a life worthy of emulation. Prof. Rest on!
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by gideonvalor98(m): 2:49pm On Jun 16, 2020
ModestGal:
Well, these men never had influence on the common Nigerian. I'm sure he was able to have all that because of the way Nigeria was, but they all destroyed it for us.

Look at his profile and you would wonder if he wasn't born of a woman, yes he was, and he might even be from a poor family, there are many professors like that in UI

A time will come in this country, that we would do thesame thing the black Americans are doing for some statues in the US for some of our elders

A poor person would not be able to achieve what this man achieved in this age, not because he won't be brilliant but because he won't even have access to a good primary education

I do not like the old generation and have no respect for them because the destroyed the lifes of our generation. The old generation did not try at all

What should he have done? I believe life was good in their time when growing up and during their time they have guts to look up into the faces of the leaders then , even mostly military era. Now in Democratic rule, how many youth can leave their parent houses for peace protest or those that even stood up - are they not condemned by the same youth? How many youths are thinking of trying to salvage the situation on ground, rather all ate on the run to make money anyhow and spend with their families and loved ones. Selfishness all the way , a manipulative tool is the hands of the political mercenaries - on the basis of religion and ethics. What's wrong in youths from all religious and ethnical background to fight the common enemy - but the sight of packaged envelope or promise of individual goodies will distabilize any thought or process of such. A typical example is prior to 2019 elections, some young, vibrant , experienced and insight candidates in person of moghalu, sowore, durotoye etc failed to pull their resources and interest together thereby allowing that chance of saving and salvaging the face of Nigeria democracy slip.

Ma'am! These old ones have tried during their youthful age when they've got the energy and mind, it is left to we YOUTHS of today's dispensation to salvage this nation from deteriorating and into ruins. To get our act right and do the needful
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Intrepid01(m): 2:50pm On Jun 16, 2020
ModestGal:

I'm not referring to the prof in particular, I do not know him now, I'm just referring to old generations, people that were given scholarships abroad, but after studying at Oxford university, Harvard university, decided not to ever step home to make their mother land better. I'm referring to the old generation with brain that refused to participate in politics due to their selfishness because as at the time, it was easier than this

Honestly I perfectly understand you and I have my reservations towards the old generation as well. But the question is, for how long are we gonna continue to blame them? When are we gonna stand up and correct the wrong? I feel so pained everyday knowing that Buhari is our president. I feel cheated, angry and betrayed by Buhari for putting himself forward for a job he knew he wasn’t capable of doing. I think the greatest disservice to a state, a nation or any office at all is putting yourself forward for a job you lack competence for, it should be classified as a treason.
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by ModestGal(f): 3:08pm On Jun 16, 2020
Intrepid01:

Honestly I perfectly understand you and I have my reservations towards the old generation as well. But the question is, for how long are we gonna continue to blame them? When are we gonna stand up and correct the wrong? I feel so pained everyday knowing that Buhari is our president. I feel cheated, angry and betrayed by Buhari for putting himself forward for a job he knew he wasn’t capable of doing. I think the greatest disservice to a state, a nation or any office at all is putting yourself forward for a job you lack competence for, it should be classified as a treason.
Its not about Buhari, it seems you are just a party person. Is Buhari in charge of Educational policy? This is not about politics, its about the old generation that failed us. They destroyed the system, they brought corruption in every sector and field, they started admitting students based on man know man etc.
No, we never blamed them, we are just starting. Until we see how they destroyed us, then we would be able to correct it, if people do not see such problems, they won't remedify it
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by ModestGal(f): 3:12pm On Jun 16, 2020
gideonvalor98:

What should he have done? I believe life was good in their time when growing up and during their time they have guts to look up into the faces of the leaders then , even mostly military era. Now in Democratic rule, how many youth can leave their parent houses for peace protest or those that even stood up - are they not condemned by the same youth? How many youths are thinking of trying to salvage the situation on ground, rather all ate on the run to make money anyhow and spend with their families and loved ones. Selfishness all the way , a manipulative tool is the hands of the political mercenaries - on the basis of religion and ethics. What's wrong in youths from all religious and ethnical background to fight the common enemy - but the sight of packaged envelope or promise of individual goodies will distabilize any thought or process of such. A typical example is prior to 2019 elections, some young, vibrant , experienced and insight candidates in person of moghalu, sowore, durotoye etc failed to pull their resources and interest together thereby allowing that chance of saving and salvaging the face of Nigeria democracy slip.

Ma'am! These old ones have tried during their youthful age when they've got the energy and mind, it is left to we YOUTHS of today's dispensation to salvage this nation from deteriorating and into ruins. To get our act right and do the needful
Lol, how did they try? Be feeding us with myths and fallacies, making corruption enter into all sector and field. They are the reason why an average youth of today are not patriotic but just want to Japa
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Intrepid01(m): 3:20pm On Jun 16, 2020
ModestGal:

Its not about Buhari, it seems you are just a party person. Is Buhari in charge of Educational policy? This is not about politics, its about the old generation that failed us. They destroyed the system, they brought corruption in every sector and field, they started admitting students based on man know man etc.
No, we never blamed them, we are just starting. Until we see how they destroyed us, then we would be able to correct it, if people do not see such problems, they won't remedify it

Madam, I do not support any party or any politician. I am well informed to know that they are all enemies of the masses, irrespective of party affiliation. You just keep hammering on old generations, I have told you I concur with you but what about the present? I am beginning to conclude that you feel so comfortable blaming this old generation and you really wanna stuck in the past. What about the present set of leaders and we the present youth of today, don’t we all have a part in all of this? The only reason why it is important to visit the past, is basically for knowledge as far as I’m concerned, it is not for blame game. You see blame game won’t change anything, what do we do to rescue ourself from the present situation of things? That is the essence of all discussions. As we speak, it was just released this morning that Nigeria uses around 98% of its total revenue to service interest payment on debts. You can imagine the size of the loan that we are servicing with total revenue. That was not caused by the old generation. Nigeria’s debt profile became fine and manageable by 2006, but subsequent Govt. after OBJ raised it and have blown the roof off.
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by ModestGal(f): 3:33pm On Jun 16, 2020
Intrepid01:

Madam, I do not support any party or any politician. I am well informed to know that they are all enemies of the masses, irrespective of party affiliation. You just keep hammering on old generations, I have told you I concur with you but what about the present? I am beginning to conclude that you feel so comfortable blaming this old generation and you really wanna stuck in the past. What about the present set of leaders and we the present youth of today, don’t we all have a part in all of this? The only reason why it is important to visit the past, is basically for knowledge as far as I’m concerned, it is not for blame game. You see blame game won’t change anything, what do we do to rescue ourself from the present situation of things? That is the essence of all discussions. As we speak, it was just released this morning that Nigeria uses around 98% of its total revenue to service interest payment on debts. You can imagine the size of the loan that we are servicing with total revenue. That was not caused by the old generation. Nigeria’s debt profile became fine and manageable by 2006, but subsequent Govt. after OBJ raised it and have blown the roof off.
Buhari is part of the old generation I was referring to
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by gideonvalor98(m): 3:47pm On Jun 16, 2020
ModestGal:

Lol, how did they try? Be feeding us with myths and fallacies, making corruption enter into all sector and field. They are the reason why an average youth of today are not patriotic but just want to Japa
To some level yes, but if you compare their youthful ages and what will have now as per the youths of this dispensation, will the future not be worse? Though we have some voice speaking but are they getting the need support from us? Is it not mostly media shouts these voices resorted to? Can they boldly step out and enjoy the support of many? Since we are not in military era, why are we so silenced and accept to be mute?
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by AleagueEdu: 4:50pm On Jun 16, 2020
Baba, rest in peace

Check my signature to enjoy our online Ielts classes irrespective of your location.
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by CelestineNelson: 4:55pm On Jun 16, 2020
Wow...what a profile...I like that...rest on Emeritus professor
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Godisgreatest1: 5:07pm On Jun 16, 2020
kikero:

Well, many of the doctors he trained still practice in this country. He was also active in the setting up of the National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria, and also wrote many papers and textbooks, including the noted Compendium of Clinical Medicine (which I used in medical school by the way)

No wonder he lacks a PhD, just a mere clinical certificate. How did he become a VC without PhD??.. you can't award a degree you don't have. The medical school I went to, you dare not teach without a PhD...i'm still searching for his MSc.

I should note that I am a Nigerian doctor, practicing in Nigeria, trained in Nigeria and currently doing residency in Nigeria. Not all of us went abroad.
Maybe the opportunity wasn't there to leave the country, we all know NIGERIAN doctors and abroad are 5 and 6.

Also, medical care has improved in Nigeria. As an example, in my home village 60 years ago, if you fell seriously sick, the nearest proper hospital was 2-3 hours away. Now, it's just 30 minutes away.

I keep doubting you are in Nigeria. My own part of Nigeria the only reliable health care we depend on is owned by a missionary. It's not by how close they are but do they provide quality health care delivery, the answer is obvious.

If it wasn't for people like him, many of the doctors and nurses you see in Nigeria won't have been here.
I completely disagree, the health care practitioners I know don't know him, neither do they know people like him..his achievement is may be solely around you. Kudos to him anyway. Although his fit looks easy to achieve if same was the prerequisite now. To be honest.

Plus, doctors and nurses treat many Nigerians sucessfully every day. The problem is, the press reports the bad cases, and keeps quiet about the good cases.
I laugh, is it when they are on strike or before or after the strike?..please i've forgotten. How many of them were trained in Nigeria?. My colleague prescribed Augumentin 3x daily for a year old child, and also erythromycin once daily. I can remember how terrified the mum was.

Well to use an example....Professor Ben Nwabueze, the legal expert, was spnsored to school by a relatively well to do relative. When he was ready to go to university, he applied for a scholarship which was offered by the Colonial authorities for promising youth

Mass free education started under Awolowo, and later under the Army rule (espicially via UPE). Today, most primary and secondary government schools are free (but poorly equipped)..

I don't know anything, I agree, but I can name nothing less than 5 Professors (offcourse I won't do that here), who benefited from primary to tertiary institution through Government owned scholarships. Please go and apply for just one, I will wait for 5 years stretch.

Well, NMA has been going on strike, and screaming about how bad the health system has been for deacdes. It's because most Nigerians think it is about their pockets all the time.

No, not at all, that means you don't know NMA. These people have issues with every profession including theirs. There is no profession especially within the college of medicine that NMA has not fought with. I won't waste time on NMA because that's not the conversation we are having, but its so funny how they regard PhD as 'cosmetic' and also try to split human physiology into basic medicine and clinical science. I laugh.

Also, healthcare is poorly funded . We have a budget of $26billion this year, out of which we spend about $3 billion on health. Many European countries spend at least $100billion on health.

Please leave money out of it...no sector is well funded. When the budget is increased your pockets enlarge..change won't even be significant. Back and forth.
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Ghokes(m): 5:10pm On Jun 16, 2020
ModestGal:

Edited
Look at how they have turned studying medicine to in Nigeria. Do you want to tell me they don't visit schools abroad and see how they treat students? University of Ibadan has the best school of medicine and yet, the students complain, whenever I hear them complain, I just shake my head because they are enjoying the most when it comes to medicine in Nigeria universities. In a university, they treat medicine students very badly and they go through lots of stress, is that how it is being done abroad, I had to connect with people studying Medicine abroad and saw how easy they made the lifes of their students.
Let's discuss getting admission to study medicine in Nigeria university like UI, isn't that a total nonsense? Tell me how a child with a poor primary education, poor secondary education ever get a chance to study medicine in Nigeria?

Good courses in Nigeria is now becoming that of the rich because the poor would never get that chance. Its becoming a thing for Children from good private secondary schools. I once taught a twins with a brain not beyond average, and they were able to score 300 in UTME, not because they are brilliant but because they attend good secondary schools, and the mother employed 3 of us as lesson teachers. One is studying medicine and the other is studying nursing, if the parents were poor, they may not even pass jamb.
Please check how flexible admission to these courses are abroad, do you want to tell me these prof don't see that? A law student can become a doctor and a doctor can become a law student

Tell me how that poor child will ever have this kind of chance? During these peoples time, every child had almost equal opportunities, and a striving child would make it, but today, a striving child in a school without a Math, English teacher can not make it. This is happening in our public schools
All these things make me cry whenever I see striving teenagers trying to pass Jamb and post utme and thus, I do not like the old people that ruined this country for us

Modified
I don't know this prof and not referring solely to him, but I do know that many of these old men didn't try for US at all. We should not make thesame thing happen to our coming generation and strive to make their lifes better so they won't send CURSES upon us in our graves

She should not be criticised for her write up, she's talking from a vintage position. She knows what she is saying

1 Like

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Godisgreatest1: 5:19pm On Jun 16, 2020
LadySarah:

Achebe wrote it in his last book "There was a country" on how they failed the younger generation cos of greed and nepotism . He wrote how they literarily walked into their jobs upon graduation. I mean these jobs were already waiting for any graduate.

Nowadays a PhD student is jobless while an undergraduate who knows someone already has a job waiting for him.

Would it be fair if I say The whites should colonize us again?

My dear, a PhD has been made to be like a mere paper with no value, our emeritus professors made it so after they collected theirs..now let's all clap hands for them.
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Godisgreatest1: 5:36pm On Jun 16, 2020
Please I don't know the prof, neither do I know his family nor anyone related to him. What ever my opinion is has to be generalized. One thing I will not and will never do is to hide the truth and die in silence. No reputable institution will employ you today as a lecturer without a PhD, even with your MSc you are a joke, our emeritus professors will screen you out. Our daddy here, became a Vice Chancellor, that is what VC means, without a PhD, i'm still looking for his MSc. He became an assistant lecturer, lecturer 1, lecturer 2, senior lecturer, Associate professor and finally Professor without a PhD, am still looking for his MSc o!. He wrote numerous papers and textbooks after world class research with funds from his pocket...all the people he influenced are world class materials, yet we are were we are today. We don't know anything, our daddy suffered and suffered, it wasn't easy. We can't be like him not to talk of been better. Let God Almighty be our helper.

1 Like

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by decatalyst(m): 6:19pm On Jun 16, 2020
Antichristus:

[color=#000099 Let me share the story of a young chap who is a family member that I mentored here with you and my readers. This boy earned his PhD in an engineering field at the age of 28 and was intent on returning to Nigeria straight after graduation. He had job offers from Nigeria but I insisted on him staying back here in the UK for a few more years not only to gain work experience (as he never worked in his life having made transition from primary to secondary, from secondary to undergraduate and from undergraduate to PhD) but also so he could obtain his indefinite leave to remain, and ultimately British Citizenship. He heeded my advice and eventually returned to Nigeria after gain excellent work experience and BC. In three years, he was out of that hell hole called Nigeria. Why? The only thing that’s 100% guaranteed to work in Nigeria, even in churches and mosques, is FRAUD. The only thing that, however, guaranteed his exit from that shit hole (excuse my language) is his British passport. He is now an associate professor in Canada. [/color]

Well articulated perspective! And thank you for mentoring that young chap!

The thread was a tribute to a rare gem in medicine. A respect to a dead man who contributed his quota to the development of medical practice in Nigeria and beyond.

It is disrespectful and totally insensitive to put the blame of a some bunch of looters, unfocused past generations, and opportunist miscreant on a dead man, who made use of the opportunity he had to study abroad, came home to contribute to the development of his dear country as the responder was doing. Okonjo Iweala schooled abroad and she is impacting the Nation's image as a whole. Chimmanda, Wole Soyinka, Achebe, Olarotimi(of blessed memory) are respected beings of the past generation because they contributed meaningfully to their beloved country. Those that contributed should be celebrated not casting aspersions on them, even in death.
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by decatalyst(m): 6:28pm On Jun 16, 2020
Lovelyn451:
Nigerian youths!! You want a better country, you want things to be right yet someone suggested one of the root causes of our problems, all you do is insult and shut him up, no possible solution on what she highlighted, no ideas, just insult upon insult,...anyways, im happy sane people are already discussing the matter as I can read through comments below, let me learn from them...

When things are taken out of context and perspective, then you have already denied it of sound and fair hearing.

Just as you cannot get "justice" without facts and figures, you cannot also use emotional argument to debate/win pragmatic discussions.

The thread is about eulogizing a DEAD sage in the medical profession, not thread open for discussing who or how has passed generations failed the country!

The fact that you enjoy bliss in your family, does it mean every family enjoy bliss? Does it also mean that the head of your family must go about from house to house in your community and ensure EVERY family enjoy bliss? Obviously, the answer is know! He can only contribute his quota and hope that others bring something on board to complement his contributions. It is just like a team! Everyone has to hold the ball at sight and each and everyone must deliver their own quota to ensure the team record success. Cheers
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jun 16, 2020
Medicine in Nigeria just lost one of it's greats! Shout out to all medics that trained at UI and UCH. Holla at all UITES and all of us who wore the shirts "My Dad is a UITE" or "My mum is a UITE". Shout out to all of us who were privileged to wear both. Mum UI trained nurse. Dad UI trained surgeon

2 Likes

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Basic123: 6:39pm On Jun 16, 2020
Godisgreatest1:
Please I don't know the prof, neither do I know his family nor anyone related to him. What ever my opinion is has to be generalized. One thing I will not and will never do is to hide the truth and die in silence. No reputable institution will employ you today as a lecturer without a PhD, even with your MSc you are a joke, our emeritus professors will screen you out. Our daddy here, became a Vice Chancellor, that is what VC means, without a PhD, i'm still looking for his MSc. He became an assistant lecturer, lecturer 1, lecturer 2, senior lecturer, Associate professor and finally Professor without a PhD, am still looking for his MSc o!. He wrote numerous papers and textbooks after world class research with funds from his pocket...all the people he influenced are world class materials, yet we are were we are today. We don't know anything, our daddy suffered and suffered, it wasn't easy. We can't be like him not to talk of been better. Let God Almighty be our helper.
Becoming a consultant in medicine=PHD

do your findings

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

WAEC Result: I'm Disappointed With This Grammar / Three ‘Missing’ Female-Undergraduates Found In Dubai / Commissioning Of Moses Orimolade University (omu Aran)kwara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.