Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,695 members, 7,823,955 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:11 PM

Gang War Spreads In Lagos, Dangerous Weapons Deploye . - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gang War Spreads In Lagos, Dangerous Weapons Deploye . (2226 Views)

Chad Intercepts ISIS Weapons Going To Boko Haram / Rumour Of Shekau’s Death Spreads In Borno, How True? / Fear Spreads In Ikeja As Oba Passes On And Tradition Requires Seven Human Heads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gang War Spreads In Lagos, Dangerous Weapons Deploye . by mohadana: 6:12pm On Jun 12, 2007
Gang War Spreads In Lagos, Dangerous Weapons Deploye

For the umpteenth time, confusion enveloped the popular Oshodi this morning following the resurgence of gang war between touts in the bustling area. Our reporters who witnessed the early morning clash said some supporters of MC Musiliu, a notorious Oshodi gang leader were said to have stormed the market, brandishing cutlasses, knives and other dangerous weapons and started attacking traders and opponents of their boss.

There was pandemonium as traders and commuters ran helter-skelter for dear lives. In the process, goods especially, perishable items worth thousands of naira were destroyed.

Another eyewitness who identified himself as Semiu told P.M.News that the fighting was between NURTW members seeking to upstage one another in the motor parks.

He disclosed that the confusion was caused by supporters of the factional chairman of NURTW in the state, Mr. Saka Saula who attempted to take over a motor park belonging to the opposing faction in the area.

“They came with cutlasses, guns, knives and bottles and started attacking people. So people were running helter-skelter to escape being killed,” Semiu narrated.

P.M.News investigations also revealed that the fighting which had already spread to Onipanu was quickly contained by anti-riot policemen from the state police command.

The cops who stormed Oshodi in their armoured tank dispersed the combatants and took control of the entire stretch of the market.

The anti-riot policemen have restored normalcy to the area as at the time of filing this report. The police confirmed that some miscreants had been arrested in connection with the mayhem area.

Fighting broke out in the area three weeks ago when opponents of MC Musiliu attempted to dislodge him from the motor park. Traders lost goods worth thousands of naira as their shops were set ablaze by the rampaging touts.

Vehicles were also set ablaze during the gang war.

Following the constant gang wars in Idumota and other parts of Lagos Island, residents, especially Lagosians, now live in fear.

Investigations revealed that, Lagosians, especially traders, now display their wares with apprehension.

P.M.News gathered that some of them, who live outside Lagos, sometimes communicate with their counterparts on the Island through mobile phones to know the situation before venturing out of their homes.

Worse still, residents of the areas where the gang wars have become a regular feature now make sure they are in their respective homes as early as 8.00 p.m., while drinking joints close as early as 7.30p.m.

Also, car owners have been moving their vehicles out of Lagos due to the fear of vandalisation, while those whose vehicles were damaged have vowed not to venture near Lagos Island again.

The first son of the late Ayinde Bakare, Shina Ayinde Bakare, recently fell victim to the rampaging social miscreants and his only car, a Datsun saloon car, was badly damaged.

Speaking with P.M.News, Ayinde Bakare said: “the daily clash among the area boys is very disturbing, and if something drastic is not done, they may start entering our houses to kill us. Each time they clash, people and cars are always their target.”

Another victim, Prince Apata Akinsemoyin, whose Mercedes Benz car was destroyed during one of the clashes, vowed never to buy another one until the situation improves.

“Imagine, they perpetrate all these atrocities without being checked by the policemen. The situation is so bad. The first time my car was damaged. I lost my mobile phone during another attack,” he lamented.”

Others who didn’t want their names in print complained about insecurity of life and property on Lagos Island.

P.M.News checks revealed that some of the residents have started moving out of Lagos Island while many of the affected traders are looking for shops elsewhere.
Re: Gang War Spreads In Lagos, Dangerous Weapons Deploye . by rookie(m): 6:48pm On Jun 12, 2007
What is this one again? where on earth does this happen except in Nigeria!!!! I hope the new Governor of Lagos-state takes care of this NURTW union, its mess, and the hoodlums as well
Re: Gang War Spreads In Lagos, Dangerous Weapons Deploye . by docokwy(m): 8:01pm On Jun 12, 2007
Only in Yoruba land.
Re: Gang War Spreads In Lagos, Dangerous Weapons Deploye . by laudate: 8:04pm On Jun 12, 2007
docokwy:

Only in Yoruba land.

Yeah, they learnt it from the OMATA guys at your end. have you forgotten?
Re: Gang War Spreads In Lagos, Dangerous Weapons Deploye . by MILITIA(f): 11:35pm On Jun 12, 2007
I said it will get to everyone's turn. cool I thought you guys said that militants are only in Niger Delta? I say stay tuned. You ain't seen natin yet! grin
Re: Gang War Spreads In Lagos, Dangerous Weapons Deploye . by debosky(m): 11:37pm On Jun 12, 2007
militant ke? these ones are area boys and touts fighting for supremacy, dem no get any wahala with govt at all!

it is a fight over who has the right to 'control' the motor parks and collect agbero charges from bus operators.
Re: Gang War Spreads In Lagos, Dangerous Weapons Deploye . by MILITIA(f): 11:41pm On Jun 12, 2007
Does it matter what the reason for the thuggery and toutism is?  Militant na militant I beg!  All make Nigeria unsafe for Nigerians and the outside world.  I say we never start! smiley Oh, Niger Delta militants are not area boys?  Okay!  I don hear! grin
Re: Gang War Spreads In Lagos, Dangerous Weapons Deploye . by Iman3(m): 11:43pm On Jun 12, 2007
Did you guys hear the latest? Kidnapping for ransom is the new fad in Anambra State.  sad If you come from a wealthy family,you are in danger.
Re: Gang War Spreads In Lagos, Dangerous Weapons Deploye . by MILITIA(f): 11:44pm On Jun 12, 2007
Alright!  Let the games begin!  I say we neva see anything yet! grin
Re: Gang War Spreads In Lagos, Dangerous Weapons Deploye . by debosky(m): 11:45pm On Jun 12, 2007
I heard about it sad story, another 5 yr old girl kidnapped in Lagos and taken to P/H with 5m ransom demanded. sad sad

militant is different from area boy oh, na two different levels all together
Re: Gang War Spreads In Lagos, Dangerous Weapons Deploye . by MILITIA(f): 11:47pm On Jun 12, 2007
Okay! I say na you win! grin
Re: Gang War Spreads In Lagos, Dangerous Weapons Deploye . by Hero(m): 1:17am On Jun 13, 2007
cheesy And y'all have the erve to talk wahala about Akata!!! undecided
Re: Gang War Spreads In Lagos, Dangerous Weapons Deploye . by debosky(m): 1:21am On Jun 13, 2007
man, this Akata thing two people called you still dey bite you oh!!

yes we have our own problems, and we will face them squarely wink

@ topic one thing I'm glad about is that the police responded relatively quickly to prevent things from getting completely out of hand, ad an emergency measure, i would suggest they order about 100 more of those APC's to quell all these area boy/armed robbers wahala all over the place.

I remember those days at UNILAG, the mere sight of those things parked outside the main gate could make students cool down, these area boys need to know that they cannot disrupt our lives because of their greed, if they want to fight they should do it at home where their wives and kids can be brushed properly in the fighting angry
Re: Gang War Spreads In Lagos, Dangerous Weapons Deploye . by angel101(f): 10:36am On Jun 13, 2007
debosky:

@ topic one thing I'm glad about is that the police responded relatively quickly to prevent things from getting completely out of hand, ad an emergency measure, i would suggest they order about 100 more of those APC's to quell all these area boy/armed robbers wahala all over the place.

I remember those days at UNILAG, the mere sight of those things parked outside the main gate could make students cool down, these area boys need to know that they cannot disrupt our lives because of their greed, if they want to fight they should do it at home where their wives and kids can be brushed properly in the fighting angry

I suggest they should also be tried and convicted for their crimes if found guilty cos i see this as an opportunity to harass and rob innocent citizens going about their own business never mind the lives that will be lost. how come nothing conclusive is ever done about this sort of thing which has become so recurrent? Na wa 4 my country.
Re: Gang War Spreads In Lagos, Dangerous Weapons Deploye . by Mamajama(m): 5:02pm On Jun 14, 2007
WAHALA don start. all the people aspiring to be IGP, Governors go and start curbing all this violent now. I keep telling people there is too much problem that come with a political office in Nigeria but they won't listen to me. Its not about prestige and OGA SIR.
Re: Gang War Spreads In Lagos, Dangerous Weapons Deploye . by laudate: 5:32pm On Jun 14, 2007
debosky:

Gree-ee-eat Akokite!! Gre-eea-at!! cool
Re: Gang War Spreads In Lagos, Dangerous Weapons Deploye . by laudate: 5:33pm On Jun 14, 2007
achike:

this is because of the yorubas Agberos in lagos.

And all the OMATAs in Onitsha!!  tongue
Re: Gang War Spreads In Lagos, Dangerous Weapons Deploye . by emyah(m): 2:52pm On Aug 17, 2009
this has been part of the life of Yoruba's in Lagos since after the civil world, just lute people belonging

(1) (Reply)

The Spate Of Nigerian Men Killing Their Wives in the US Is Alarming / Ojukwu In Stable Condition, Says London Hospital! / How Honest Is The Average Northerner?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.