Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,400 members, 7,826,553 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow (66823 Views)

US-Based Nigerian Nurse Captures The Solar Eclipse / Rare "Ring Of Fire" Solar Eclipse Captured In Spectacular Photos / Rare 'Ring Of Fire' Solar Eclipse To Take Place On June 10 (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by wyqay: 8:33pm On Jun 20, 2020
Very true.
I personally observed it.
Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by Yampotatocarrot(m): 8:34pm On Jun 20, 2020
Now this makes sense. I was wondering what was happening
Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jun 20, 2020
jubrilELsudan:
MORE HOURS TO FVCK AND SHOOT MY HOT CUM IN HER MOUTH.
Wow!

My ex....

That girl can fûck for Africa!

She gave me my first BJ...
Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by FIDELISFIDECENT: 8:39pm On Jun 20, 2020
You people have started again.

It's alright.

Good day my fellow Nairalanders. I do hope u are all doing great?

Please, ��� have Fidecent Telecom in mind for ur Airtime, Data bundles, GOTV subscription, DSTV subscription, STAR TIME subscription, Electricity bills, Bank deposit and transfer.

Thanks for ur patronage.

Please, contact me on: 07066656701; 07033227810

May God prosper the works of ur hands. Much love! ��������
Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by Siberia01(m): 8:39pm On Jun 20, 2020
stupid physics as usual
the course is of no use self
stupid courses people will just go and waste their 4 years come out no application
Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by jubrilELsudan: 8:41pm On Jun 20, 2020
FahBuLous:

God loves you... He really does...

YOU SOUND LIKE YOUR WIFE AFTER I CUM IN HER MOUTH.

Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jun 20, 2020
If I remember my secondary school geography well then I think we're too close to the equator to even notice. Days and nights are virtually the same length. In many parts of Nigeria
Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by jubrilELsudan: 8:45pm On Jun 20, 2020
BetterPoison:
why are you doing this bro

YOU SOUND LIKE YOUR WIFE AFTER I REMOVE HER PYANT BEFORE I SHOOT MY HOT CUM IN HER MOUTH.

Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by BetterPoison: 8:48pm On Jun 20, 2020
jubrilELsudan:

YOU SOUND LIKE YOUR WIFE AFTER I REMOVE HER PYANT BEFORE I SHOOT MY HOT CUM IN HER MOUTH.
nice make up
Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by Liposure: 8:48pm On Jun 20, 2020
I said it
Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by Dididrumz(m): 8:48pm On Jun 20, 2020
jubrilELsudan:

no be the picture wey this girl post on Twitter make Rema ginger her for the weekend grin
jubrilELsudan:

no be the picture wey this girl post on Twitter make Rema ginger her for the weekend
Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by Liposure: 8:49pm On Jun 20, 2020
FuckTheWorld:
Wow!
My ex....

wetin be her name
Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by jubrilELsudan: 8:49pm On Jun 20, 2020
FuckTheWorld:

Wow!

My ex....

AND THEN? WHAT MUST I DO? SHOULD I RUN AND GO SHOOT MY HOT CUM IN HER MOUTH?

Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by Snowx: 8:55pm On Jun 20, 2020
Shoodboi:
Photos added.

Lalasticlala, could you help me push this to the front page. Let's educate the people around here. Thank you.

good one
Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by Sososo(f): 8:59pm On Jun 20, 2020
It was the shortest for me.i was rushing to meet up.
Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by beejay501: 9:04pm On Jun 20, 2020
Walahi I no even notice shit...me way don day on 542 Rohypnol today...time just fast like madt
Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by dazzlingd(m): 9:04pm On Jun 20, 2020
ChizzyBuna:
Waiting for our daddy @Righteous
To come and spew bibilical jargon
The guy will soon come and tell us how solar eclipse is a sign of end times....very idiotic fellow
Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by Aidejay(m): 9:05pm On Jun 20, 2020
ChizzyBuna:
the guy own 2 much. Always making little or no sense. Delusional to say the least.
Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by slipperyanus07: 9:06pm On Jun 20, 2020
cry
Vyolet:
I noticed today is a bit long really.
I wish the eclipse will be visible here too, I have witnessed two different eclipse.
cry
Vyolet:
I wish the eclipse will be visible here too, I have witnessed two different eclipse.
yeah me too I noticed

1 Like

Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by bukatyne(f): 9:06pm On Jun 20, 2020
Bhadmus77:
Lol... Something that today was very short.. It was dark around 6 already.
So how come it's the longest

I was about to say.

Started getting dark around 5pm in my area.
Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by Bhadmus77(m): 9:07pm On Jun 20, 2020
bukatyne:

I was about to say.

Started getting dark around 5pm in my area.
No mind the OP
Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by Seersam(m): 9:07pm On Jun 20, 2020
ChizzyBuna:
mad oo cool
Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by carinmom(f): 9:07pm On Jun 20, 2020
AsawanaDgreat:
So today pass 24hours, Geographers over to you guys to educate us.
It's still 24 hours the only difference is that daytime becomes longer than the night, normally daytime should last for 12 hours roughly likewise the night, but since today is summer solstice daytime becomes longer and lasts for 14 to 15 hours while night time lasts for 9 to 10 hours instead of 12. If you add the hours together you still get 24 hours. Luckily for us in the tropics this is not noticeable compared to countries in the temperate and polar regions.

1 Like

Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by SharonLoveth(f): 9:08pm On Jun 20, 2020
"The sun eclipsed and the Prophet got up, being afraid that it might be the Hour (Day of Judgment). He went to the Mosque and offered a with the longest Qiyam, bowing and prostration that I had ever seen him doing. Then he said, 'These signs which Allah sends do not occur because of the life or death of somebody, but makes His worshipers afraid by them. So, when you see anything thereof, proceed to remember Allah, invoke Him, and ask for His forgiveness.'"

(Bukhari 2:167)
Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by Aphroditee(f): 9:12pm On Jun 20, 2020
Shoodboi:
Today (June 20, 2020), is the longest day of the year

For those who have been following the weather (especially children who play a lot, adults who fast, and Muslims who pray around 7 in the evening), you may have noticed that dusk comes much later, and lasts for longer.

(Dusk is the period of brief daylight after the sun has set. It marks the boundary between evening and night.)

Everywhere becomes dark around 7:30 pm or even much later, instead of around a few minutes to seven as it used to be in the past (at least, here in Lagos).

This is happening because we are close to the summer solstice, and in fact, today, June 20, 2020, is the summer solstice.

What does Summer Solstice mean?

As you should know, the earth revolves around the sun. However, the earth is not completely round and neither is its orbit round the sun.

The earth’s orbit is elliptical, which makes the distance between the earth and the sun vary throughout the year.

The earth itself is a bit flat at the north and south poles, which makes its side bulge out like a balloon that is about to burst.

The result is that, once a year, the earth positions itself such that the sun appears at its highest position in the sky in the northern part of the earth.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11770370_seasonsearthorbitlarge_jpege2f41ba12e676f12b7278da9ea47baa1
The summer solstice is on the left.

That day is called the Summer Solstice and is usually between June 20 and 22 every year.

However, that moment in 2020 falls on 5:44 pm EDT on June 20 (today). For us in Nigeria, that is 10:44 pm WAT (West African Time).

What happens on the Summer Solstice?

The summer solstice is always the longest day and shortest night of the year. This means we will enjoy more daylight today than on any other day of the year.

People living at the northernmost and southernmost parts of the earth will even enjoy 24 hours of sunlight throughout the day.

The summer solstice also marks the beginning of the summer season in the northern hemisphere (the northern half of the earth).

However, the reverse will happen in the southern hemisphere (the southern half of the earth) where the sun will be at its lowest point, making the summer solstice the beginning of the winter season in the Southern hemisphere.

What about the solar eclipse?

Lucky for us, this year’s solstice will coincide with a very rare solstice solar eclipse that will last from 4:45 am to 9:34 am on June 21. (The next solstice solar eclipse will only come around on June 21, 2039.)

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11770369_download_pngc26be60cfd1ba40772b5ac48b95ab19b
The eclipse will look like the photo above. That is the moon covering the sun with the thin "ring of fire" line visible.

Tomorrow’s eclipse will be visible from some parts of Africa and Asia.

People living in Congo, Ethiopia, and China will see the eclipse, and so will people living in northern India, southern Pakistan, and the Central African Republic.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11770368_screenshot3_jpeg96647f10afbbedde0709206e8c8ff91a
The eclipse will be most visible in the area that is orange in color.

Unfortunately, it appears that it will not be visible from Nigeria.

Source: I wrote this myself with reference from https://www.almanac.com/content/first-day-summer-summer-solstice and https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/solar/2020-june-21

insightful

1 Like

Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by Aphroditee(f): 9:12pm On Jun 20, 2020
Shoodboi:
Today (June 20, 2020), is the longest day of the year

For those who have been following the weather (especially children who play a lot, adults who fast, and Muslims who pray around 7 in the evening), you may have noticed that dusk comes much later, and lasts for longer.

(Dusk is the period of brief daylight after the sun has set. It marks the boundary between evening and night.)

Everywhere becomes dark around 7:30 pm or even much later, instead of around a few minutes to seven as it used to be in the past (at least, here in Lagos).

This is happening because we are close to the summer solstice, and in fact, today, June 20, 2020, is the summer solstice.

What does Summer Solstice mean?

As you should know, the earth revolves around the sun. However, the earth is not completely round and neither is its orbit round the sun.

The earth’s orbit is elliptical, which makes the distance between the earth and the sun vary throughout the year.

The earth itself is a bit flat at the north and south poles, which makes its side bulge out like a balloon that is about to burst.

The result is that, once a year, the earth positions itself such that the sun appears at its highest position in the sky in the northern part of the earth.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11770370_seasonsearthorbitlarge_jpege2f41ba12e676f12b7278da9ea47baa1
The summer solstice is on the left.

That day is called the Summer Solstice and is usually between June 20 and 22 every year.

However, that moment in 2020 falls on 5:44 pm EDT on June 20 (today). For us in Nigeria, that is 10:44 pm WAT (West African Time).

What happens on the Summer Solstice?

The summer solstice is always the longest day and shortest night of the year. This means we will enjoy more daylight today than on any other day of the year.

People living at the northernmost and southernmost parts of the earth will even enjoy 24 hours of sunlight throughout the day.

The summer solstice also marks the beginning of the summer season in the northern hemisphere (the northern half of the earth).

However, the reverse will happen in the southern hemisphere (the southern half of the earth) where the sun will be at its lowest point, making the summer solstice the beginning of the winter season in the Southern hemisphere.

What about the solar eclipse?

Lucky for us, this year’s solstice will coincide with a very rare solstice solar eclipse that will last from 4:45 am to 9:34 am on June 21. (The next solstice solar eclipse will only come around on June 21, 2039.)

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11770369_download_pngc26be60cfd1ba40772b5ac48b95ab19b
The eclipse will look like the photo above. That is the moon covering the sun with the thin "ring of fire" line visible.

Tomorrow’s eclipse will be visible from some parts of Africa and Asia.

People living in Congo, Ethiopia, and China will see the eclipse, and so will people living in northern India, southern Pakistan, and the Central African Republic.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11770368_screenshot3_jpeg96647f10afbbedde0709206e8c8ff91a
The eclipse will be most visible in the area that is orange in color.

Unfortunately, it appears that it will not be visible from Nigeria.

Source: I wrote this myself with reference from https://www.almanac.com/content/first-day-summer-summer-solstice and https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/solar/2020-june-21

insightful.

1 Like

Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by wickedtuna: 9:16pm On Jun 20, 2020
light099:
And this year is the longest year of this 21st Century and 3rd Millennium.

YEAR 2020 SO FAR
Solar Eclipse, Leap year, Twin year, rumoured for World War III, CoronaVirus pandemic, strange deaths of celebrities/top guys, massive deaths worldwide, worldwide lockdown, impeachment trial for Donald Trump, funny Liverpool EPL coincidence, invincible Hushpuppi finally arrested, SpaceX's first astronaut launch, UK finally pulled out of EU, and many other events.

Abule-Ado explosion, Akure explosion, Edo explosion, Fire outbreaks. The list goes on

And now, a Solar Eclipse wanna wrap up the first half of the year.
Brace yourself folks, it's just six months gone, more actions coming in the second half.
The name of the movie is 2020, and it's action packed.
Aliens next
Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by victorazyvictor(m): 9:22pm On Jun 20, 2020
ChizzyBuna:

Check ur dictionary the meaning of Corona.
Read Revelation 6:12
Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jun 20, 2020
Yeah, l noticed this too. Took an afternoon nap, woke up seeing everywhere dark as if it was already 7pm. Alas, it was just 4pm when l checked the clock.
Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by sheyitokz(m): 9:23pm On Jun 20, 2020
here seems educating at times when all jokers are asleep

1 Like

Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by Futurejoy(f): 9:24pm On Jun 20, 2020
Vyolet:
Me too
Re: Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow by kikelomojessy(f): 9:27pm On Jun 20, 2020
It's was dark before 5pm in my area. Rain no make us notice am.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

'Female Vampire' Shackled To Prevent Her Re-Incarnation Found In Poland (Graphic / Wandering Crocodile Captured On The Street Of Lagos (Video) / Sturddlefish: Hungarian Scientists Accidentally Create Bizarre Hybrid Fish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.