Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,758 members, 7,955,884 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:49 PM

The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] (2405 Views)

ASUU's 48 Hours Deadline: We Are Yet To Hear From Government - Osodeke / Help....i Have Lost Interest In School (pls Hear My Story) / Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by budaatum: 3:39pm On Jun 21, 2020
Aidejay:

He explained to me that there is actually wisdom in youth far more than the elders can posess and this wisdom diminishes as you grow older.
Wisdom" might "diminishes as you grow older" perhaps after 70 years old, least not before 60, especially if one were a learner and continued seeking wisdom. So youth has to wait until the the elders relinquish the influence they amassed in their prime when they were young say in their 40s, and held on to till they died at, say, eighty. Won't youth be hitting 50 by then, too consolidated themselves to bother to change anything? And wouldn't the elders have consolidated in place for generations after, those who would prevent the desecration of their graves forever?

One thing the wise often do is they reflect, and the experiences they have as they grow older gives them a lot to reflect on. You, hopefully, understand the relationship of the ability to reflect and being wise. Wisdom does not diminish as one grows older. Though I do admit that the elders we have do not seem wise.

I think it's the non-acknowledgement of the saying that goes, ọmọde ati agba li a fi da ile Ifẹ. Translated it means, 'Ife was built by the young and the old'. Wise people will incorporate both into their planning since they have different skill sets, but our Nigerian elders do not appear to be doing this unless it's to the youths who's souls they've bought. Not wise at all, would be my verdict of our so called elders.

2 Likes

Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by ambitiouschap17: 3:42pm On Jun 21, 2020
Let me follow this threads, all post full of wisdom
Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by budaatum: 4:12pm On Jun 21, 2020
I was sent secrets of developed nations.

Download pdf and say what you think.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by Illuminatus(m): 4:38pm On Jun 21, 2020
There is fire on the mountain, but we aren’t running. Already, smoke has engulfed the air but we are still here, we don’t even know where the fire is.
The problem isn’t that the old has grabbed power and have refused to hand it down. The problem is that the youth have in general, failed to realise that the power does not belong with the old alone. In that way, the older generation has succeeded. They foresaw this moment and took action years ago to self perpetuate for decades. They kept telling us that we are the leaders of tomorrow, but then made laws and adopted policies and practices that kept them at the helm of power. And they have pulled our strings, over the years, our parents and societies at large have continually told us that something is wrong with us: we are more lazy, less focused, less wise when compared with our predecessors. And a lot of us have bought into that. We have concede to the whims of the people at power because we believe, on some level, that they deserve to be there (even if they bribed their way in). We now only try to charm our way into the corridors.
Nothing will change unless we are re-indoctrinated into understanding that deserve power. It is only after we achieve this that we can work on how to wrestle power away. For any movement to succeed, the people driving it have to understand and agree on what the aim is. Till then, we will keep moving around randomly like gas molecules.
P. S. This problem is multifaceted and it would be rather myopic to think that there is one singular thing that needs to be done to fix the situation. This is the problem with the Not Too Young To Run Act. The problem isn’t just the age limitation. It is also the financial and social limitation. A solution isn’t a solution if it does not take all the offshoots into account.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jun 21, 2020
TheSourcerer:
in facts specify what you think should be done

He wants the youths to take power and not ask for power to come to them......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jun 21, 2020
Palehair:

Say it louder for those in the back

No wahala boss

1 Like

Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jun 21, 2020
budaatum:

Thank you Xavfra. That's what I hoped the op understands so he stops praying like some theist, or rather, like he assumes I might, but he seems to be blinded by what he assumes to be my religion instead of carefully considering what I have said.

Those in power will never ever "let" youths have power in Nigeria, TheSourcerer, unless those youths have first bowed down and worshipped those in power. And those youths who have bowed down and worshipped those in power have no power whatsoever since they exist at the pleasure of those they worshipped who "let" them.

Please let me know when we realise this, for then shall we be ready to begin to start to prepare to organise and take over and rule our illustrious nation.

I understand your points ooh Budaatum......

The youths should go and take power and not to wait for it

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by budaatum: 7:30pm On Jun 21, 2020
Xavfra:

I understand your points ooh Budaatum......

The youths should go and take power and not to wait for it
I don't yet know how true this is, but it's organised youths "taking power".

https://time.com/5856720/rumps-tulsa-rally-teens-tiktok-kpop/

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1274499021625794565?s=19

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jun 21, 2020
budaatum:

It's true. It's been confirmed by BBC grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by TheSourcerer: 7:59pm On Jun 21, 2020
Mineisgrace:
hello
good evening , how's your evening ma'am
Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jun 21, 2020
budaatum:

I'll make out time to read it.......

If yiu need power from an enemy, you shouldn't ask....
You should take it.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by TheSourcerer: 10:48pm On Jun 21, 2020
PLEASE I STILL NEED SOMEONE TO WALK WITH ME IN ABEOKUTA PLEASE , IN ALL HUMILITY PLEASE
CAPSLOCKED
LORDREED
UNDAUNTEDYOCA
Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by TheSourcerer: 10:50pm On Jun 21, 2020
fieryy:

It's true. It's been confirmed by BBC grin
hmm
Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by LordReed(m): 11:02pm On Jun 21, 2020
TheSourcerer:

Egalitarianism

A system of Government by the old , the wise and intellectually experienced amongst the Society ,

You have your terms mixed up. A system of government by the old is called a gerontocracy. A egalitarian government would be focused on empowering everybody so it's leadership could never be reserved for any one group..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by TheSourcerer: 11:06pm On Jun 21, 2020
LordReed:

You have your terms mixed up. A system of government by the old is called a gerontocracy. A egalitarian government would be focused on empowering everybody so it's leadership could never be reserved for any one group..
thank you , I did that back in SS2 lol, thanks again ♥️♥️, are you sure though?

Yes Gerontrocracy! yes , that was the word I was looking for

1 Like

Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by Nobody: 11:09pm On Jun 21, 2020
Aidejay:
One day I sparked up a conversation with a neighbor of mine. This was the first time we talked at length from career to politics to life to work. It was a memorable day for me.
One sound bite I gained from that discussion was a fact he laid on me where he opened that the parable or adage that says 'what an elder sees sitting down a youth cannot see while standing on an iroko tree' is false and wrong.
He explained to me that there is actually wisdom in youth far more than the elders can posess and this wisdom diminishes as you grow older.
So what an elder sees sitting down a youth will see it bending down. The patriarchy/elitist society we operate in Nigeria has put a limitation on the minds of the young.

Preach! I also blame the culture. People consider it rude to ask questions or to challenge certain beliefs, standards or anyone a day older than you. Most have been brought up to accept things the way they are and even those, who claim want a change often times just complain.

Most have also forgotten real power lies within the people. Everyone just loves playing 'save'

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by TheSourcerer: 11:12pm On Jun 21, 2020
budaatum:

Wisdom" might "diminishes as you grow older" perhaps after 70 years old, least not before 60, especially if one were a learner and continued seeking wisdom. So youth has to wait until the the elders relinquish the influence they amassed in their prime when they were young say in their 40s, and held on to till they died at, say, eighty. Won't youth be hitting 50 by then, too consolidated themselves to bother to change anything? And wouldn't the elders have consolidated in place for generations after, those who would prevent the desecration of their graves forever?

One thing the wise often do is they reflect, and the experiences they have as they grow older gives them a lot to reflect on. You, hopefully, understand the relationship of the ability to reflect and being wise. Wisdom does not diminish as one grows older. Though I do admit that the elders we have do not seem wise.

I think it's the non-acknowledgement of the saying that goes, ọmọde ati agba li a fi da ile Ifẹ. Translated it means, 'Ife was built by the young and the old'. Wise people will incorporate both into their planning since they have different skill sets, but our Nigerian elders do not appear to be doing this unless it's to the youths who's souls they've bought. Not wise at all, would be my verdict of our so called elders.
I cannot read any of your post anymore , to be honest it's for no personal reason , my empathy for you have dwindled and have 20% chance of been rejuvenated , for now do not mention me ,. Probably still disappointed , but you were an atheist , you were free why did you turn back?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by budaatum: 3:29am On Jun 22, 2020
TheSourcerer:
I cannot read any of your post anymore , to be honest it's for no personal reason , my empathy for you have dwindled and have 20% chance of been rejuvenated , for now do not mention me ,. Probably still disappointed , but you were an atheist , you were free why did you turn back?
You don't get to tell me who I mention, Source, and I do not need your empathy thank you. As for why you cannot read my post anymore, I'd say it's because you have not yet developed the ability to understand more than you currently do. Please, cover your eyes and make out you ignore buda. I assure you you will fail.

One does not "turn back". One does not abandon what one learns about an ideology just because one is learning about another. I did not believe in the existence of superbeings when I was an atheist, and now that I am studying religious texts I still don't believe superbeings exist. But as far as Nigerians are concerned, referencing a book makes one a worshipper or believer in that book it seems, hence capslocked would say buda is a "theist" without defining what he might mean, and you, being a believer, is disappointed and lost empathy and are not rejuvenated, but want to blame it on me, lol.

I am rereading the book in order to understand it because I love reading difficult to understand books like the texts of Nigeria's main religions. I figured, since a majority of Nigerians are influenced and get their language from those books, one who wishes to positively impact Nigeria would best read them in order to understand the motivation and language of a majority of Nigerians. Also, since the books are so old and underlie quite a lot of Western and Middle Eastern and African philosophy and thought, understanding them gives one insight into the evolution of human existence in a particular part of the world and provides a model for comparison.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by TheSourcerer: 6:15am On Jun 22, 2020
budaatum:

You don't get to tell me who I mention, Source, and I do not need your empathy thank you. As for why you cannot read my post anymore, I'd say it's because you have not yet developed the ability to understand more than you currently do. Please, cover your eyes and make out you ignore buda. I assure you you will fail.

One does not "turn back". One does not abandon what one learns about an ideology just because one is learning about another. I did not believe in the existence of superbeings when I was an atheist, and now that I am studying religious texts I still don't believe superbeings exist. But as far as Nigerians are concerned, referencing a book makes one a worshipper or believer in that book it seems, hence capslocked would say buda is a "theist" without defining what he might mean, and you, being a believer, is disappointed and lost empathy and are not rejuvenated, but want to blame it on me, lol.

I am rereading the book in order to understand it because I love reading difficult to understand books like the texts of Nigeria's main religions. I figured, since a majority of Nigerians are influenced and get their language from those books, one who wishes to positively impact Nigeria would best read them in order to understand the motivation and language of a majority of Nigerians. Also, since the books are so old and underlie quite a lot of Western and Middle Eastern and African philosophy and thought, understanding them gives one insight into the evolution of human existence in a particular part of the world and provides a model for comparison.
how's your morning so far

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by budaatum: 12:16pm On Jun 22, 2020
TheSourcerer:
how's your morning so far
My morning has been fruitful.

Yours?
Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by budaatum: 2:21pm On Jun 22, 2020
Xavfra:

You know ehhh, making a protest ain't to hard, but what's important and quintessential is that the base is strong so as to prevent any destruction the base and the entire protest......

Once we have the base, we can then move on.....
Even if one of us is killed, we'll not relent till all of stop breathing even our dead bodies will continue the protest
Ask him to tell you about his sole protest. You'd see how weak its base was. Yet he shuns the intellectual cement that could strengthen it.

1 Like

Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by kkins25(m): 4:55pm On Jun 22, 2020
budaatum:

Brilliant!!!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by Palehair: 5:10am On Jun 23, 2020
budaatum:

When we scream and shout we merely show that we are not yet intelligent and smart and wise.

One day we will have learnt to speak in such a way that we are listened to and heard.
Yea... We've tried that before

1 Like

Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by TheSourcerer: 8:12am On Jun 23, 2020
fieryy:

Preach! I also blame the culture. People consider it rude to ask questions or to challenge certain beliefs, standards or anyone a day older than you. Most have been brought up to accept things the way they are and even those, who claim want a change often times just complain.

Most have also forgotten real power lies within the people. Everyone just loves playing 'save'
Culture and Old Traditions hmm , They seem to be tools to somewhat break the minds of the next generation , hmm and it seems cyclical and there's no sign of stopping soon , it's just us who knows will know.
Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by budaatum: 1:40am On Jun 20, 2021
TheSourcerer:
shame , *sips Tea*

Lol, Source. It's been a year.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by OnionBandit(f): 5:58am On Jun 20, 2021
CAPSLOCKED:

ATHEIST LAST YEAR, THEIST THIS YEAR.
Thank God for your life
Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by TheSourcerer: 8:07am On Jun 20, 2021
budaatum:

Lol, Source. It's been a year.
haha yeah , stayed off-grid ,Travelled . Awesome really but coming back online has a diffrent feel honestly ,a sad gloom kind of addictive feeling .
For example News of people dying
Scoffs ,people die every day
Terrorists are always against a government
What we can do is stay back and let the tides flow
There's nothing we can do thst can change anything (Tao) the Natural flow of things. Good Morning buda hey!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by TheSourcerer: 8:10am On Jun 20, 2021
OnionBandit:
Thank God for your life
Yeah THANK GOD for his life

Btw honey , Guys with hairy balls dont post they have hairballs on their feed smiley
Re: The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] by TheSourcerer: 2:45pm On Jun 20, 2021
ambitiouschap17:
Let me follow this threads, all post full of wisdom

The president dosnt control the economy or Nations image nor do they stop terrorism , so why does a president borrow and fly our planes like hes doing something important,!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Does Smoking Marijuana Change Your Personality? / Reason Why We Urinate Much And Often On A Cold Day Or Weather / Ebonyi State University Admission Merit List 2015 / 2016 Is Out-jamb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.