Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,801 members, 7,813,633 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:23 PM

Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes (8612 Views)

Radio Biafra Resumes Transmission, Launches 'RADIO 24 BIAFRA' And 50 Others / Americans On Washington Post Hail Burning Of Suspected Female Boko Haram Bomber / Islamic Extremists Demolish Mosques And Temples As They Spread Their Carnage-Pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by EKONGKING: 1:37am On Jan 28, 2011
Sectarian clashes in Nigeria sparked by a dispute over a game of billiards have left four people dead and dozens of buildings on fire, police say.

The trouble broke out in Tafawa Balewa in central Nigeria, a region that has seen an upsurge in violence between Christians and Muslims
Five mosques and about 50 homes were set alight as Christian and Muslim youths fought each other.

Police eventually restored order, using roadblocks to contain the violence.

Police commissioner Abdulkadir Mohammed Indabawa said the dispute began on Wednesday night with a disagreement over money between the Christian owner of the billiards table and a Muslim player.

Although the row was settled through mediation by local elders, the table was later burned.

"The Christian youths accused Muslims of the act, which prompted them to go about burning houses and mosques," said Mr Indabawa.

"Clashes followed between Muslim and Christian groups and four people were killed as a result."

Volatile region

Paramilitary police were patrolling the city's streets on Thursday and Mr Indabawa said troops could also join the crackdown.

"We have mounted roadblocks at areas leading to the town to avoid a spillover of the crisis to other areas," he said.

Tafawa Balewa is close to the city of Jos in Nigeria's volatile Middle Belt, which sits between the mainly Muslim north and largely Christian south.

The region has been a flashpoint of tension between Hausa Muslims and Berom Christians.

It has suffered repeated outbreaks of ethnic violence over the past decade, with deadly riots in 2001, 2008 and last year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12302635
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by Kilode1: 1:48am On Jan 28, 2011
Although the row was settled through mediation by local elders, the table was later burned.

cheesy SMH

Seriously though, it seems anything can trigger ethnic and religious conflicts in Nigeria except the actions of our elite lootocrats.

I can't wait for the day my folks will drop the weapons, quit fighting themselves for a while, and join hands together to fight their looter-leaders, The real enemies.
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by kabukabu50(m): 2:03am On Jan 28, 2011
Sudan has led the way time for Nigeria to follow,enough of the mindless slaughter, time for seperation.
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by EKONGKING: 2:05am On Jan 28, 2011
Kilode?!:

cheesy SMH

Seriously though, it seems anything can trigger ethnic and religious conflicts in Nigeria except the actions of our elite lootocrats.

I can't wait for the day my folks will drop the weapons, quit fighting themselves for a while, and join hands together to fight their looter-leaders, The real enemies.

The day the people start fighting against corrupt elite that will be second independence for nigeria
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by Kilode1: 2:07am On Jan 28, 2011
^^ I tell ya!
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by tpia6: 2:14am On Jan 28, 2011
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by ismaeel86(m): 2:39am On Jan 28, 2011
When will all this madness come to an end?
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by savanaha: 2:55am On Jan 28, 2011
Who decides what gets on the front page?
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by gozzilla(m): 3:04am On Jan 28, 2011
^^^^^ Seconded,
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by truly: 3:04am On Jan 28, 2011
kabukabu50:

Sudan has led the way time for Nigeria to follow,enough of the mindless slaughter, time for seperation.
I agree - but let the Ijaws support Uduaghan (an Itsekiri) first
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by aloyemeka1: 3:23am On Jan 28, 2011
Igbos did this one on Muslims?.
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by Nobody: 3:30am On Jan 28, 2011
smh undecided
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by aljharem(m): 3:35am On Jan 28, 2011
MzD@rkSkin:

smh  undecided

shut the eff up and get out you hypocrite

mumu angry angry
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by 9javoice1(m): 3:41am On Jan 28, 2011
aloy/emeka  
Igbos did this one on Muslims?.

How do u bring in the igbos in this issue?  Even the news inform us clearly the people involve yet u want to bring in your igbo hatred into it. tafawa belewa area are mostly indigenous Christians and Hausa Muslim. so y  igbos. pls if u noting to say shut up. u r not igbo username aloy/emeka doesn't mean u r igbo
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by 9javoice1(m): 3:50am On Jan 28, 2011
we have so much with us to handle now in nigeria. the big question is 'why is it that little thing results to killings up north? how far are we gonna go with this ? is there no solution to this madness.
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by dayokanu(m): 3:52am On Jan 28, 2011
This is Tafawa balewa LG in Bauchi State.

Its one of 3 LG in Bauchi that have a large xtian Population
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by eherbal(m): 3:58am On Jan 28, 2011
now,now boys c'mon.sheath your swords,ESPECIALLY YOU,ALOY RIM or whatever your daddy named you.You're tribalistic despot.yes.oya time for bed,let me tuck you in.   grin
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by tbaba1234: 4:00am On Jan 28, 2011
Any thing can spark violence in Nigeria!! God save us!!
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by ollypass: 4:09am On Jan 28, 2011
Kilode?!:

cheesy SMH

Its really funny how we have just enough zealousness in religion to hate each other to the point of murder but not enough love for God to love and live in peace with each other; (we all inclusive just have a form of Godliness but we deny the power there of)

this is the kind of response i would have expected when it was revealed to us how much our senators take home after each quater,the type of response i expect on how the government has squandered the billions we had in excess crude oil funds, type of response i expect from tax paying christians and muslims who can't even get basic amenities from thier respective state governments.

Certainly ot the type of response i expected over a bleeding game of billards!
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by trekkie: 4:25am On Jan 28, 2011
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by Ikengawo: 4:27am On Jan 28, 2011
again why are my scapegoating the 'corrupt elite' when this is the actions of common nigerians, at it always is?
lets say we get rid of the corrupt elite, would that end fights over pool tables?
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by tpia6: 4:30am On Jan 28, 2011
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by Nobody: 4:38am On Jan 28, 2011
I doubt the Igbos wanna mess with the Northern man. The Igbos have mouth, but they fear the Northern man. We hear Biafra on NL, but do they really dare?

The worst they can do is leave the Northernland.

To be fair; these Jos Northerners are something else. My own is, if Yoruba are not being "targeted", they need to stay out of this. Let those two groups finish whatever they started. .  .again.  If the Yorubas are being targeted, forget Anifere or whatever, those Northern gutter rats need to be placed before they're permanently displaced!
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by udezue(m): 4:47am On Jan 28, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I doubt the Igbos wanna mess with the Northern man. The Igbos have mouth, but they fear the Northern man. We hear Biafra on NL, but do they really dare?

The worst they can do is leave the Northernland.

To be fair; these Jos Northerners are something else. My own is, if Yoruba are not being "targeted", they need to stay out of this. Let those two groups finish whatever they started. .  .again.  If the Yorubas are being targeted, forget Anifere or whatever, those Northern gutter rats need to be placed before they're permanently displaced!

Yoruba wont do shyt. Correct Yellow bellies. they even murder and rape u in ur own land and u dey talk about Igbos. Go and ask Hausa ppl in kano and Kaduna how the Igbos almost sent them packing to Niger.
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by Nobody: 4:59am On Jan 28, 2011
udezue:

Yoruba wont do shyt. Correct Yellow bellies. they even murder and violation u in your own land and u dey talk about Igbos. Go and ask Hausa ppl in kano and Kaduna how the Igbos almost sent them packing to Niger.

The way they're sending you packing to your land? You think it's going to end there?
The thing with Yoruba people is that they're peaceful and once an outsider has been immersed in their culture, they're not really seen as an outsider. The religion also bounds the Northerners and the Yoruba people. However, if Boko Haram and their ilks dares to go into Yorubaland just to to kill, ish is going to happen. Northerners and Yorubas kill each other (those who have been living with each other), but where is the panic?

Your people are now the new mince-meat. And you dare not retaliate. I thought each Igbo household has its own guns and weapons as you all often boast on NL. What happened? I thought the Northerners dares not try una, but who are being targeted?

That is not the main goal here sha. Make una just work it out amongsts yourself. If there's nothing for the Yoruba man to gain, dem no go fit lift finger. If Yoruba man wants Igbos out, then you know whatz going to happen.

Good luck "showing the Huasa man who is superior". And you better show them fast.
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by jason123: 5:08am On Jan 28, 2011
udezue:

Yoruba wont do shyt. Correct Yellow bellies. they even murder and violation u in your own land and u dey talk about Igbos. Go and ask Hausa ppl in kano and Kaduna how the Igbos almost sent them packing to Niger.

What you fail to understand is that most yorubas are muslim and some already have fulani blood in them eg Kwara. The yorubas and fulanis have lived together for a while about 100-200 years (not to sure about the date of afonja's rule). So when they fight with the northerners, they do not really panic. Infact, the time northerners were killing yorubas, OPC retailated harder. Yorubas not fighting back does not translate to cowardice.
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by comechop(m): 5:12am On Jan 28, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

The way they're sending you packing to your land? You think it's going to end there?
The thing with Yoruba people is that they're peaceful and once an outsider has been immersed in their culture, they're not really seen as an outsider. The religion also bounds the Northerners and the Yoruba people. However, if Boko Haram and their ilks dares to go into Yorubaland just to to kill, ish is going to happen. Northerners and Yorubas kill each other (those who have been living with each other), but where is the panic?

Your people are now the new mince-meat. And you dare not retaliate. I thought each Igbo household has its own guns and weapons as you all often boast on NL. What happened? I thought the Northerners dares not try una, but who are being targeted?

That is not the main goal here sha. Make una just work it out amongsts yourself. If there's nothing for the Yoruba man to gain, dem no go fit lift finger. If Yoruba man wants Igbos out, then you know whatz going to happen.

Good luck "showing the Huasa man who is superior". And you better show them fast.

posts like this make me wonder - what the hell actually goes on in your head?
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by Lukman2010: 5:28am On Jan 28, 2011
let cont praying until beta become best.
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by uyiscott: 5:35am On Jan 28, 2011
what is wrong with these muslims illitrates
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by 9javoice1(m): 5:40am On Jan 28, 2011
Posted by: jason123  
Insert Quote
Quote from: udezue on Today at 04:47:16 AM

What you fail to understand is that most yorubas are muslim and some already have fulani blood in them eg Kwara. The yorubas and fulanis have lived together for a while about 100-200 years (not to sure about the date of afonja's rule). So when they fight with the northerners, they do not really panic. Infact, the time northerners were killing yorubas, OPC retailated harder. Yorubas not fighting back does not translate to cowardice.

Jason123 am really disappointed with you. why do you allow this lady that has no genuine sense in her ? look at the topic here, and some sensless man come up and Link igbo's with it,just to make the tread longer,i immediately send him parking and here goes this tribalistic lady again with non-sense words and u r giving her a support.  
Every Right thinking human should be annoyed when an innocent blood is shed be he igbo,yoruba,hausa etc. but do u know what, this lady can even call party hence the blood is igbo. and you are here going her direction. pls i hold you on high esteem don't distroy your image before me. remain bles

The point here is why should there be sheding o innocent blood because of pools?
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by Elswagnifico: 6:11am On Jan 28, 2011
@Ileke-idi. I dnt understnd,must u always tlk? Think b4 u talk nd not vice versa. Its realy pathetic the tribalistic vituperation u always pst on NL especially as it concerns the igbo. Next thing, Israeli soldiers kill a Hamas troop and u find a way of linking it wit the igbos or biafra. Pls kindly say sometin sensible 4 once or SHUT THE F**K UP.
Re: Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes by Nobody: 6:14am On Jan 28, 2011
All these ydiots with their less than recognizable amount of posts. Must you create new IDs to posts?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? / Emergency Rule: Reps Withdraw Jonathan’s Power Over States’ Funds / BREAKING: 'rest In Peace' My Beloved President - Top APC Governor Breaks Down

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.