Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,538 members, 7,812,668 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:16 PM

So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? (1013 Views)

Presidency Orders Sack Of Civil Servants With 30 Years In Service And Above / Dele Momodu Likens GEJ Fate Afta March To Lautent Gbagbo Of Ivory Coast Case / Northern Muslims must rule for peace to reign (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by Jen33(m): 4:08am On Jan 28, 2011
SO THE USA THINKS IT'S OK FOR MUBARAK TO RULE FOR 30 YEARS?

Why then are they so desperate to oust GBAGBO of Ivory Coast,  who has been there less than 10 years?

US Vice President Joe Biden even stated yesterday: 'Mubarak is not a dictator'!!

Oh he just got voted in legitimately by an adoring public for 30 years straight, right Joe?

Biden in response to the question, ''Should Mubarak step down?'' answered: ''No''.

Despite the fact Mubarak has rigged every election in his 30 years in power.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Backchannels/2011/0127/Joe-Biden-says-Egypt-s-Mubarak-no-dictator-he-shouldn-t-step-down

DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS

Or should I say, United States of Double Standards
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by tpia6: 4:18am On Jan 28, 2011
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by Dede1(m): 5:03pm On Jan 28, 2011
@OP

It is painful to say but very true that Africans have tedious journey to the door of maturity.
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by EzeUche2(m): 5:04pm On Jan 28, 2011
It is the hypocrisy of the U.S. The U.S. looks out for their own interest.
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by Dede1(m): 5:09pm On Jan 28, 2011
EzeUche_:

It is the hypocrisy of the U.S. The U.S. looks out for their own interest.

Maybe hypocrisy or not, the fact remains politics does not house permanent friend.
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by Rhino5dm: 5:16pm On Jan 28, 2011
Google operation Ajax and see the true face of USA. . . . .its okay to even over throw a democratically elected president if he is not yeilding to thier request and overlook a general ruling pakistan all in the name of allies.
What a shame!
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by EzeUche2(m): 5:43pm On Jan 28, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Google operation Ajax and see the true face of USA. . . . .its okay to even over throw a democratically elected president if he is not yeilding to thier request and overlook a general ruling pakistan all in the name of allies.
What a shame!

Everyone who has studied history should know about Operation Ajax and how Mohammed Mossadeq, a very popular Prime Minister in Iran was ousted.
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by Jen33(m): 5:53pm On Jan 28, 2011
Meanwhile I once read some predictions of Nostradamus that the 'Final Conflict' will start by angry Arab hordes overthrowing their regimes and heading in force to Europe to help topple systems there too.
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by Kobojunkie: 9:21pm On Jan 28, 2011
@Poster, what happens when on live tv (AL JAZEERA) there is a denial made of any such ENDORSEMENT issued?

english.aljazeera.net undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

I am watching it live on Al Jazeera, and they have repeated quite often that the Egyptian president is not being endorsed by the US President.
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by Jen33(m): 12:18am On Jan 29, 2011
Kobojunkie said:

I am watching it live on Al Jazeera, and they have repeated quite often that the Egyptian president is not being endorsed by the US President.

When will you understand the subtle nuances of diplomacy, political-speak and international geopolitics in general?
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by Kobojunkie: 12:22am On Jan 29, 2011
Again . . . .
Kobojunkie:

@Poster, what happens when on live tv (AL JAZEERA) there is a denial made of any such ENDORSEMENT issued?

english.aljazeera.net undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

Millions around the world heard today that the USA is not backing the Egyptian President. Do we simply deny that ever happened because you want to hold on to , and probably continue to propagate that story there? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by Chyz2: 12:28am On Jan 29, 2011
Jen33:

Meanwhile I once read some predictions of Nostradamus that the 'Final Conflict' will start by angry Arab hordes overthrowing their regimes and heading in force to Europe to help topple systems there too.

Any predictions on us Africans?
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by semid4lyfe(m): 12:33am On Jan 29, 2011
Jeez! Why do some people like hitting their head against the wall OR is it that comprehension is a problem? undecided angry

Moving on. . . .
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by Jen33(m): 12:55am On Jan 29, 2011
Kobojunkie said:

Millions around the world heard today that the USA is not backing the Egyptian President. Do we simply deny that ever happened because you want to hold on to , and probably continue to propagate that story there?

The US president IS backing Mubarak. You really need to wake up. President Obama just made a speech now in which he stated he'd just got off the phone with Mubarak, and had asked him to implement ''reforms'', which addressed the ''legitimate grievances of the Egyptian people''. 

He asked Mubarak to engage in ''meaningful dialogue'' with the people. He didn't ask him to STEP DOWN, being a repressive dictator who rigged the last elections which he ''won'' by over 90% of the votes!

He asked him to ''implement much needed reforms''.

I don't recall Gbagbo being treated in this manner.

Or Bob Mugabe.

The USA is even now actively canvassing for Gbagbo to be military attacked and deposed by force!!

But Gbagbo has a far more legitimate claim to power in Ivory Coast than Hosni Mubarak has in Egypt.

So what gives
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by Kobojunkie: 1:06am On Jan 29, 2011
Jen33:

The US president IS backing Mubarak. You really need to wake up. President Obama just made a speech now in which he stated he'd just got off the phone with Mubarak, and had asked him to implement ''reforms'', which address the ''legitimate grievances of the Egyptian people''. He didn't ask him to STEP DOWN, being a dictator who rigged the last elections which he ''won'' by over 90% of the votes!

So How did you from what you have above CONCLUDE that the US is backing Mubarraq? I mean this is even after a whole afternoon of various news media networks, including the ChristianSciencemonitor, and Aljazeera announcing all day that the US does not seem to be backing Mubarraq?

Jen33:

He asked him to ''implement much needed reforms''.

I don't recall Gbagbo being treated in this manner.
First of all. Mubarraq is still the president of Egypt, even though he is still missing in action. No one else has stepped up to take over, so who exactly would you have preffered the US inform they do something about what is going on to calm the situation in Egypt? ALLAH? :/

Secondly, how does the situation in Egypt PARRALLEL that in Ivory Coast? Where do you begin to compare the two and then come up with the line "I don't recall Gbagbo being treated in this manner".

Jen33:

The USA is even now actively canvassing for Gbagbo to be military attacked and deposed by force!!

But Gbagbo has a far more legitimate claim to power in Ivory Coast than Hosni Mubarak in Egypt.

Can you not read between the lines

Let me help you here. There was an election, and Ouattara won and was supposed to be sworn in as president(in fact he has been sworn in as president),only the former man does not want to step down. The US calls for the former president to step down so the new president can legitimately begin his term. According to the Ivory Coast Constitution, Ouattara has a more legitimate claim(You may want to spend sometime reading that document to get a better understanding of why people are claiming that the council made an illegal, hence illegitimate move by their own constitugtion before you go around declaring what you are not even informed on) .

In the Egyptian case, you have a government experiencing problems with it's people. Long story short, the people want to overthrow a government they seem to have endured for 30 years, but but there does not seem a new set of people taking over. No formidable replacement yet, and Mubarraq and the rest of the world knows this. Mubarraq still controls the police and the army. What do you want Government's around the world to say?

The US has no idea how this is going to play out. He does not know if tommorow, the people will back down . . . the same thing you and I are aware could happen. What would you rather Obama do, rush into judgement and then have people like you do your READ BETWEEN THE LINES trick then and come back with how it was the US behind it all and it failed? ROFLMAO!!

What are you doing reading in between IMAGINED LINES when the facts are clear enough for you and anyone else to see. Why not read things as they are, and it is clear as day that the whole world is still sitting to see how far this will go, instead of making rash judgements. The last thing any sane Government around the world wants is a power vacuum in, of all places Egypt.

This is not rocket science. OPEN YOUR EYES TO SEE things as they really are, rather than creating meaningless webs in thin air please.
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by dempeople(m): 1:21am On Jan 29, 2011
You have to understand that in this world, there're two sets of laws.

Laws for the people we like and laws for the people we don't like. There're no permanent friends in politics (even in life) but only permanent interests. The minute Mubarak decides to "be his own man" then, Sadamm Hussein's predicament shall indeed befall him. Oh yes, that's just the way it is.
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by Jen33(m): 1:22am On Jan 29, 2011
Let me help you here. There was an election, and Ouattara won and was supposed to be sworn in as president(in fact he has been sworn in as president),only the former man does not want to step down. The US calls for the former president to step down so the new president can legitimately begin his term. According to the Ivory Coast Constitution, Ouattara has a more legitimate claim(You may want to spend sometime reading that document to get a better understanding of why people are claiming that the council made an illegal, hence illegitimate move by their own constitugtion before you go around declaring what you are not even informed on).

Stop talking rubbish about Ivory Coast's constitution. Does Egypt not have a Constitution?

Does the Egyptian constitution allow for a REPRESSIVE DICTATOR to rule for 30 years, jailing and murdering opposition figures at will? Declaring himself ''winner'' of heavily rigged elections by 90% margins?

Why has America NEVER asked Mubarak to STEP DOWN, or hold proper ELECTIONS, on threat of withdrawing the $2 billion annual aid given Egypt, the second largest recipient of US aid?

In the Egyptian case, you have a government experiencing problems with it's people.

Experiencing problems You must be off your trolley. The people want their DICTATOR GONE, because they are fed up of suffering in poverty, joblessness and hunger, while Mubarak and his cronies large it up in luxury.

''Experiencing problems with the people'' indeed!

Long story short, the people want to over throw the government completely, but but there does not seem a new set of people taking over.

Absolute garbage. There is ALWAYS ''a set of people to take over'' from a DICTATOR. Where did the new leaders of Tunisia come from? The moon?

What are you doing reading in between your IMAGINED LINES. Why not read things as they are, and it is clear as day that the whole world is still sitting to see how far this will go, instead of making rash judgements. The last thing any sane person wants is a power vaccum. OPEN YOUR EYES TO SEE things as they really are, rather than creating meaningless connections in thin air please.

Why did  ''the world'' not sit back and allow the Ivoriens sort out their problems, and ''see how far it will go''?

Why did ''the world'' not sit back and allow Zimbabweans to sort out their problems, and ''see how far it will go''?

Stay there and be deceiving yourself. Mubarak is a HABITUAL ELECTION RIGGER BAR NONE. A DICTATOR WITH 12,000 POLITICAL PRISONERS LANGUISHING IN JAIL. A KLEPTOCRAT WHO HAS RULED EGYPT WITH AN IRON FIST FOR 30 YEARS. He is FETED by the USA. He even got a State Visit by Obama a year ago in which the US president addressed their parliament!!

Don't tell me America is ''just right'' to lend Mubarak ANY support at all, or ''sit back and see how it will go'', or maintain any sort of friendly relations with him.

If they do, they are guilty of DOUBLE STANDARDS, HYPOCRISY, and DUPLICITY.

You cannot go around preaching democracy, free and fair elections, promoting violence to overthrow the likes of Gbagbo, and sanctions to finish off Mugabe, while WINING AND DINING WITH 30 YEAR RULING, REPRESSIVE, KLEPTOCRATIC ARAB DICTATORS.
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by Ikengawo: 2:51am On Jan 29, 2011
I dont know why you people mind white people and their double talk.

They want Gbagbo out cause he's against them and Mubarak in because he's with them, simple as that.
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by Ibime(m): 3:06am On Jan 29, 2011
The US is scared of Islamic Govt taking hold in Egypt, and that's what Mubarak is using to scare them into supporting him, claiming Islamists will hijack the uprising. Also the US doesn't want a hostile govt bordering Israel.

So yes, the US is supporting Mubarak wholeheartedly.
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by asha80(m): 3:07am On Jan 29, 2011
^^^ ibime didthat gif in your profile really happen? cheesy
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by Nobody: 8:37am On Jan 29, 2011
While d riot was on going,i say those fools in far away white house, organising press conference and debating on d crises,why really do they think they can poke nose in every country affairs,no wonder d arab world detest them, And dos foreign media dont waste tym on bringing dos shaggy prof in there studio analysing d situation even they themselves av no 1st hand experience on, America shuld get lost
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by Akainzo(m): 10:26am On Jan 29, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Let me help you here. There was an election, and Ouattara won and was supposed to be sworn in as president(in fact he has been sworn in as president),only the former man does not want to step down. The US calls for the former president to step down so the new president can legitimately begin his term. According to the[b] Ivory Coast Constitution, Ouattara has a more legitimate claim(You may want to spend sometime reading that document to get a better understanding of why people are claiming that the council made an illegal, hence illegitimate move by their own constitugtion[/b] before you go around declaring what you are not even informed on) .

I don't know where you re getting your notes but the one known and read by the entire world does not support what you are writing.
1. Gbagbo was sworn-in by the Ivorian constitution recognized parties i.e. The CC, the Army, the legislators, the judiciary and the people.
2. Ouattara swore himself him, of course aided by the french government and the UN.

BTW which part of the Ivorian constitution were you referring to in the parts highlighted above?

So by your warped reasoning Ouattara has more legitimacy than Gbagbo! It's only you or the west and its cronies that doubt Gbagbo's legitimacy, and you've been recruiting lily-livered cronies in ECOWAS as well. But a stronger nation like Ghana has clearly pulled out of such nonsense!

Lest I forget that was how the same US and UN, led us to believe thee were stockpiles of Weapons Of Mass Destruction just waiting to be unleashed by Saddam Hussein. After how many years now, not one, NOT ONE was found!
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by FrankC3: 10:49am On Jan 29, 2011
Well, I don't envy the US. They are the world power and they did not just stumble on it. They worked their way to it, hate or love them. And for accusations of hypocrisy, i don't intend to dabble into those but just to say that serious nations have interest-driven (not charity driven or libido driven) foreign policy like your country in intervention efforts in Liberia, S/leone, etc.

The US is like the world police. When Obama announced a cut in military spending, people where complaining that the US is planning to cut down on her 'international obligation' as a world power and Hillary has to reassure the world. Don't even forget that part of US beef with China is that they get  much from places like Africa while shying away from certain 'responsibilities'. I know some may prefer China that can sell fresh roses and white pigeons in Ivory Coast while at peace but quickly ship in guns and torture accessories for government to buy during a Gbagbo scenario.

Hypocrisy or not, Mubarak continued stay in power serves not just US interest but also middle east, North African and Arabian interests. Retaining a 'despot' like Mubarak (as some claim) may be a viable option considering the odds and that a decision that the US is in a position to take and has taken! And besides, the opposition in that country is not popular enough not muster the kind of follower-ship that can topple a despot  (if that is what you call Mubarak).
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by norrisman: 10:56am On Jan 29, 2011
@ Kobojunkie

I normally enjoy your arguments and usually agree with you but I am afraid this time around, you are talking out of your @$$.

@ Frankc

So you do not think a man that has ruled a country for 30 years isnt a dictator/ despot?
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by violent(m): 11:04am On Jan 29, 2011
It's funny how the same people who accused the United States of "poking nose" in other people's business and yet, still accuse the same United States of not reacting to Egypt's situation.
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by Mariory(m): 11:05am On Jan 29, 2011
Jen33:

SO THE USA THINKS IT'S OK FOR MUBARAK TO RULE FOR 30 YEARS?

Why then are they so desperate to oust GBAGBO of Ivory Coast,  who has been there less than 10 years?

US Vice President Joe Biden even stated yesterday: 'Mubarak is not a dictator'!!

Oh he just got voted in legitimately by an adoring public for 30 years straight, right Joe?

Biden in response to the question, ''Should Mubarak step down?'' answered: ''No''.

Despite the fact Mubarak has rigged every election in his 30 years in power.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Backchannels/2011/0127/Joe-Biden-says-Egypt-s-Mubarak-no-dictator-he-shouldn-t-step-down

DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS

Or should I say, United States of Double Standards

So Jen33, how does the double standard apply to you and your Mugabe thread? ( https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-592125.0.html )

Mugabe has been the dictator charge of Zimbabwe for almost 31 years. The irony of this thread is nauseating.
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by FrankC3: 11:15am On Jan 29, 2011
I can't stay in the comfort of my room and call Mubarak a despot. It is for his people to do so. Secondly, we have had despots swept off by a strong wave of opposition. Staying in power for however long doesn't necessarily make one a despot. It depends on the political and economic developments in those countries. Otherwise, the men that laid the foundation of today's Malaysia, China, India, Brazil, Singapore, even Ghana are all despots. It depends on your definition of despot. You may call Ahmadinejjad a despot but don't be surprised how much the MAJORITY his people may love him and how much he is needed as THE LEADER at this point in their national development. Unless you are suggesting that only American version of democracy is sustainable. As arguable as it may be, we all know that Yar'adua's presidency is actually a minus that brought more sorrow than an Obasanjo's extra 4 years could have brought.
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by Donmeca(m): 12:09pm On Jan 29, 2011
I see what started as a protest against Police brutalisation of a Tunisian "hawker" snowballing into an Arab Revolution. The arabs have operated a very closed society for centuries and the 21st century people are now waking up to the fact that they are equally humans after all. From Algeria to Yemen to Jordan to Egypt and Morocco. . .soon, very soon we will hear of the mother of all anti-govt protests in Saudi Arabia and Indonesia.

@topic; no one has ever bn declared winner of a presidential poll in Egypt and Mubarak denied him/her authority. . .we rig elections in Nigeria but in d end INEC declare the highest rigger winner of d polls. Again, is mubarak staying beyond what Egyptian constitution demands?

NB: I hate to have one person in govt beyond 5 years (he is not d only capable hand to lead his people) but it's left for d people to say he shud go and that is what I see them doing but unfortunately, he may still have the sympathy of majority.
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by Tsiya(m): 12:16pm On Jan 29, 2011
Donmeca:

I see what started as a protest against Police brutalisation of a Tunisian "hawker" snowballing into an Arab Revolution. The arabs have operated a very closed society for centuries and the 21 century people are now waking up to the fact that they are equally humans after all.

@topic; no one has ever bn declared winner of a presidential poll in Egypt and Mubarak denied him/her authority. . .we rig elections in Nigeria but in d end INEC declare the highest rigger winner of d polls. Again, is mubarak staying beyond what Egyptian constitution demands?

NB: I hate to have one person in govt beyond 5 years (he is not d only capable hand to lead his people) but it's left for d people to say he shud go and that is what I see them doing but unfortunately, he may still have the sympathy of majority.

Egyptian constitution? We are talking about a dictator here. A person who decides what should be written in the constitution. The guys is 83 years for Godsake. A great-grand father. I bet half of the time he must be sleeping. He isn't the one making decisions in Egypt
Re: So The USA Thinks It's Ok For Mubarak To Rule For 30 Years? Gbagbo? by Donmeca(m): 12:47pm On Jan 29, 2011
Tsiya:

Egyptian constitution? We are talking about a dictator here. A person who decides what should be written in the constitution. The guys is 83 years for Godsake. A great-grand father. I bet half of the time he must be sleeping. He isn't the one making decisions in Egypt

In that case, the power-brokers still want him to stay put so they will continue ruling by proxy. Egypt like Nigeria has no serious opposition. . .the only difference is that here, we are more conscious selfish than d Arabs. . .members of the ruling party become the opposition within the same party when they see an opportunity to move higher up being blocked by the incumbent (case in point: OBJ vs Atiku, 2006/07; Jang vs Tallen, 2011).

The Moslem Brotherhood in Egypt is not seriously in2 politics and are viewed by the outside world, as a ticking terrorist time bomb. If they were to be more civil in their approach to politics, maybe, just maybe they may earn a benefit of doubt by Western world leaders. This is different from what we have/had in Tunisia. . .they had a semi-serious, civil opposition who immediately keyed into the masses' protests and achieved victory. I still believe they are the ones pulling the strings for the continued expulsion an arrests of senior members of the last govt and allies of Ben-Alli.

Again, talking about constitution, even if it was written by Mubarak himself, it is their constitution. We are using the 1999 constitution military decree today not cos every Nigerian wrote it but cos we need a working document to run our society with. If Obj succeeded in amending that piece of document in 2006, he wud still be president now and may even convince us that d post shud just be reserved for whomever occupies if till death . . .that makes it our rule. And if his successor enters 40th year of rulership, wud u call him a despot?

(1) (Reply)

‘enough Is Enough Nigeria’ Receives Grant To Promote Free And Fair Election / As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections / Ngige Swears To Do What Nigerians "will Never Forget".

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.